• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallout

Keep the politics out of here
It's NHL related. If Harper wanted to get re-elected on a "Leafs will make the playoffs!" bid, we'd be talking about that too (and laughing about it).

:lol

Ok, now how much tax revenue would they lose if this went through?
Hard to say, without knowing too much about corporate taxation. According to Forbes, they made $96 million in revenue. I'm willing to bet that the government saw a decent chunk of that. 15-16% worth? Probably. :)

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
It's NHL related. If Harper wanted to get re-elected on a "Leafs will make the playoffs!" bid, we'd be talking about that too (and laughing about it).

Hard to say, without knowing too much about corporate taxation. According to Forbes, they made $96 million in revenue. I'm willing to bet that the government saw a decent chunk of that. 15-16% worth? Probably. :)

What? Their operating income was -$3.8 million. The government saw 0% of that money.

Or, we could all chip in $2 and buy the Coyotes!

Yeah, I don't see how this makes sense.

That $15M figure is for all of Ontario, probably 3/4 of it comes from Toronto.

Oh and this isn't about politics, this is about the survival of an NHL team(if this goes through).

fallout

What? Their operating income was -$3.8 million. The government saw 0% of that money.
Oh yeah, hadn't thought of that. I guess if the team eventually turns a profit, this could be a loss for the government. Again, I really have little to no idea how corporate taxation works in Canada. I just felt like throwing numbers around because throwing numbers around is fun.

That $15M figure is for all of Ontario, probably 3/4 of it comes from Toronto.
This is a good point.

Cake Boss

Banned
I still don't get it, Sens will fold because of some $3-5 million losses yearly?

Thats basically a salary of a jeff finger, it doesnt seem that much seeing how Melnyk kind of gave away a $4M bonus to Healty right before he left.

Aren't they setting franchise records in sellout and revenue this season.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I still don't get it, Sens will fold because of some $3-5 million losses yearly?

Thats basically a salary of a jeff finger, it doesnt seem that much seeing how Melnyk kind of gave away a $4M bonus to Healty right before he left.

Realistically, they won't fold. They're just using the threat to save some money.

Greedy fuckers.

You don't get it. Right now businesses who buy tickets and luxury suites can write 50% off on their taxes.

Without that tax break, they simply won't buy luxury suites and season tickets which are huge sources of revenue for the team.

It'd be more than a few million, probably $8M+ depending on how many bail out.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
You don't get it. Right now businesses who buy tickets and luxury suites can write 50% off on their taxes.

Without that tax break, they simply won't buy luxury suites and season tickets which are huge sources of revenue for the team.

Then drop the prices. Its not like these guys have huge overhead on luxury suites.

Cake Boss

Banned

But doesnt the province make more money from the franchise being alive and having to pay taxes, tourism and all that shit than just 8M is savings from tax cutsÉ

Edit: ahh fuck my computer is french again, anyone know how to reset it and get the question mark back.

Then drop the prices. Its not like these guys have huge overhead on luxury suites.

Right so they drop prices by 50% and how does the team make up the lost revenue ?

Surely you realize that Sens prices are the cheapest in Canada and even though we're at the cap floor the team will probably break even unless we make the playoffs? Oh and all those suites are sold out now at FULL price ?

Yea the sens might lose a bit of money but this sounds like a ploy to get them to strongly reconsider. Going out of business is a little extreme...

Sanjuro

Finally.

olgcT.gif

Sanjuro

Probably the best fight I have seen all season.

Thornton and Bolton. Both brutes just taking blows and busting their faces open.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Fuck Subban what a bullet. Why can't you score more often? Lol @ his Cammy celebration.

Fei

How is Kassian supposed to be pronounced, btw? Cash-un or Cass-ee-un? Would've guessed the latter, but someone was saying it's actually the former.

When he was in the minors, the local crew called him Cash-un. However, after his first callup, the announcers called him Cass-ee-un, so that's what I've gone by. My guess is people around here finally got to ask him directly how to pronounce it.

It's a pretty nice coincidence the Sabres and Canucks play each other in a few days.

MacAttack

Lucic Krejci Seguin line tearing shit up.

The assist from Lucic on Seguins goal was sick. Looked like Andre the Giant swatting away midgets in a handicap match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom