• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2016 |OT| #MakeOilersGreatAgain.

imBask

Banned
Keep the salt coming, I drink your jealousy tears

Red is right people were straight up shitting on Weber. MANY said Josi was carrying him hard

Pikma

Banned
Or you just don't know what you're talking about and have kept posting that like you do.
Yeah, probably, I'm really stupid.

That doesn't prevent me from getting a kick out of you doing the same hyping yourself up shit every year tho, then when things go down the shitter like they always do with your team you'll just deny you ever did such a thing and probably blame it on two or three players injured

yyzjohn

Banned

Red is right people were straight up shitting on Weber. MANY said Josi was carrying him hard

Even though you bother me I have to give you props on this. I remember you were one of the only guys not shitting on Weber the day the trade was made. You're looking like a fucking prophet now.

Socreges

Banned

That doesn't prevent me from getting a kick out of you doing the same hyping yourself up shit every year tho, then when things go down the shitter like they always do with your team you'll just deny you ever did such a thing and probably blame it on two or three players injured
To be fair Red has seemed pretty modest this time around likely due to how badly he got burned last season

r3n4ud

Even though you bother me I have to give you props on this. I remember you were one of the only guys not shitting on Weber the day the trade was made. You're looking like a fucking prophet now.
People were shitting on Weber in here? lmao

Canadians need to win the cup now as Price isn't going to be dominant forever. There's no way a cup would ever come to Mtl with Subban. That fucker needed to go.

Socreges

Banned
Meanwhile, zroid is praying at his altar of statistics, imploring the Stats Lord to explain what the fuck is going on

People were shitting on Weber in here? lmao

Canadians need to win the cup now as Price isn't going to be dominant forever. There's no way a cup would ever come to Mtl with Subban. That fucker needed to go.

I'll miss Subban definitely, but I feel there was a problem along with Price's injury that accelerated him being traded. Whatever happened we will never find out.

Surprise! Canada - USA World Junior game to be held outdoors in Buffalo during 2018 WJC

One of the most intense rivalries at the world junior level is between the United States and Canada. They’ll take it outside in Buffalo.

The countries will meet Dec. 29, 2017, in New Era Field as the highlight of the 2018 world junior championship, USA Hockey announced Friday. There will also be 22 games in KeyBank Center and eight in HarborCenter as Buffalo hosts the tournament for the second time.

“These two weeks that the kids are here will really allow us to showcase Buffalo and the great game of hockey,” Sabres owner Kim Pegula said in KeyBank Center. “This is something that we know hockey fans always look forward to. It’s a great rivalry amongst countries that are so close together.”

Of note:

Ticket packages for the tournament will range from $690 to $1,550. Individuals who buy a package will have access to three additional tickets for the outdoor game.

Cake Boss

Banned

Yo god damn

Foggy

To be fair, that might still be true, at least when it comes to possession and transitions. It's funny, Weber's play reflected Subban's reputation and Subban's play reflected Weber's reputation. One was offensively minded and one was more defensively responsible, it's just the opposite of what everyone thought. Or maybe I'm wrong. I can't remember where I read it.

Solo

Habs window is definitely now, but without a 2C and another d man, it will shut on them no later then the ECF.

Quick

Banned
Being back in OT Community:

85851-Ill-cum-wherever-the-fuck-I-wa-iGHj.gif

When the Subban-Weber trade happened, it was overwhelmingly pro-Subban, Bergevin should be fired, etc. Even the more rational responses (Weber will be the inferior defenceman in the long run) were muted. And when Weber was a lock for the World Cup while Subban was left off, there were some who questioned the decision-making of Hockey Canada.

Now, Montreal is at the top of the league and Nashville has 2 wins so the narrative has shifted.

Solo

To be fair to Subban, hard to win games when Johansen/Forsberg/Neal combine for 1 goal in 8 games.

For reference, David Desharnais has 2 goals.

imBask

Banned

hey, I don't wanna bother you, you just picked the wrong team that's all

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
When the Subban-Weber trade happened, it was overwhelmingly pro-Subban, Bergevin should be fired, etc. Even the more rational responses (Weber will be the inferior defenceman in the long run) were muted. And when Weber was a lock for the World Cup while Subban was left off, there were some who questioned the decision-making of Hockey Canada.

Now, Montreal is at the top of the league and Nashville has 2 wins so the narrative has shifted.

Which is just as stupid. Nashville has 2 wins because Filip Forsberg inexplicably has 0 goals and Pekka Rinne seems to be in serious decline.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member

The thing is that pretty much none of Nashville's shitty October is Subban's fault. It's a combination of Rinne's continued spiral into mediocrity and a complete inability to sustain offense.

[edit] beaten lol

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno...Habs have made the ECF under Martin and Therrien. Clearly at some point talent overcomes da system.

Well Martin is actually a good coach, just boring as hell. In my opinion the talent level on the team has been underrated for a few years due to Therrien's system, and when the best players show up it doesn't really matter how much they dump the puck into the corners.

They have a lot of speed, so the transition game has been really good.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

The same hyping up shit every year? You do realized that what I said can be true even though they collapsed right? You do understand that Montreal has been a severely average to poor team for the last 20 years right? You do realize that they haven't had a legitimate #1 center in 20 years? Saying this is the best team they've iced in 20 years isn't exactly high praise, and they're icing the most depth and talent they've had in my life time, and I've never hyped them up as more than a ECF contender, you spend an hour searching my posts if you'd like. You wouldn't know any of that though because you're just looking for a cheap troll.

The only way I'll accept the trade is Montreal wins with Weber. It's still so early, I expect Subban to pull away from Weber in the second half of the season, but that being said Weber has been excellent for us so far. The key is winning while he can still play as well as he has, and I don't mean a PPG 30 goal pace, but as steady defensively as he has been, and by continuing to score PP goals which is something Subban couldn't do under Therrien, and it really hurt our PP.

Montreal won't win a damn thing until the crushing expectations put on by the old guard of Francophone fans who believe they can win like they did in the 50's and 60's via the Habs name alone are lifted, reminding them that the NHL as it currently stands is different.

Pikma

Banned
The same hyping up shit every year? You do realized that what I said can be true even though they collapsed right? You do understand that Montreal has been a severely average to poor team for the last 20 years right? You do realize that they haven't had a legitimate #1 center in 20 years? Saying this is the best team they've iced in 20 years isn't exactly high praise, and they're icing the most depth and talent they've had in my life time, and I've never hyped them up as more than a ECF contender, you spend an hour searching my posts if you'd like. You wouldn't know any of that though because you're just looking for a cheap troll.

The only way I'll accept the trade is Montreal wins with Weber. It's still so early, I expect Subban to pull away from Weber in the second half of the season, but that being said Weber has been excellent for us so far. The key is winning while he can still play as well as he has, and I don't mean a PPG 30 goal pace, but as steady defensively as he has been, and by continuing to score PP goals which is something Subban couldn't do under Therrien, and it really hurt our PP.
Lol you know you basically posted the exact same thing last year right? I could go look up for the exact cloned post but I'm way too busy

zroid

Banned
To be fair, that might still be true, at least when it comes to possession and transitions. It's funny, Weber's play reflected Subban's reputation and Subban's play reflected Weber's reputation. One was offensively minded and one was more defensively responsible, it's just the opposite of what everyone thought. Or maybe I'm wrong. I can't remember where I read it.

I wouldn't quite say that although it's sort of the right idea. Subban is still definitely more of an offensive than defensive player. Weber's best asset is clearly his PP scoring. He might be the best PP scorer from the blue line in the league (definite top 3).

I never thought of this a few months ago, but it's possible Weber's play style might be the ideal fit in Montréal because of how much they rely on Price. Weber historically gets caved in by shots from the low and medium danger areas, but he's very good at suppressing high danger chances. Against most goalies (eg: Rinne), this hurts more than helps, but Price is by far the best goalie in the league at stopping low and medium danger chances. He's virtually untouchable unless you get a high quality chance. If that continues then it sure makes the trade look very good (at least in the short term).

Yawnier

Banned
Didn't the habs have a good team under Saku Koivu for a season or two like 10 years ago, or am I remembering that wrong

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Lol you know you basically posted the exact same thing last year right? I could go look up for the exact cloned post but I'm way too busy
So you're not reading any of what I said, good talk.

I wouldn't quite say that although it's sort of the right idea. Subban is still definitely more of an offensive than defensive player. Weber's best asset is clearly his PP scoring. He might be the best PP scorer from the blue line in the league (definite top 3).

I never thought of this a few months ago, but it's possible Weber's play style might be the ideal fit in Montréal because of how much they rely on Price. Weber historically gets caved in by shots from the low and medium danger areas, but he's very good at suppressing high danger chances. Against most goalies (eg: Rinne), this hurts more than helps, but Price is by far the best goalie in the league at stopping low and medium danger chances. He's virtually untouchable unless you get a high quality chance. If that continues then it sure makes the trade look very good.
This is definitely a part of it, and Weber is particularly good at boxing guys out, Price doesn't like people getting in his lanes, if he sees the puck he's going to stop it the majority of the time. Not to mention Weber is essentially the perfect defenseman for Therrien's system, and his PP prowess is huge for a team that's be 20th in the league for the past few seasons and has always scored.

Didn't the habs have a good team under Saku Koivu for a season or two like 10 years ago, or am I remembering that wrong
We had some good years under him, but he got the Plekanec treatment were he was treated as a #1 center when he really was a #2, he never scored more than 22 goals in a season, and our best years under him relied on having the top PP unit in the league. We haven't had an actual #1 center like Galchenyuk since Damphousse, and we actually have a legitimate top 6 right now.

Top Bottom