• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicki Minaj the best female rapper ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pimpwerx

DY_nasty said:
Jay gets topped all the time on verses. Thats nothing new...
Man, when Eminem owned his ass on Renegade on Blueprint, it shot Em to the top of the "best ever" charts. Before that he was just a whiteboy with really good freestyles, but after Renegade, he was in the convo for GOAT. Since Nicki topped not just Jay-Z, but Kanye and Rick Ross at the same time, is it really that outlandish to call her the best female ever? Has any other female ever stood her ground that way on a track with men?

Lauren Hill did in the Fugees, but that was against Pras and Wyclef...not exactly great rappers/lyricists. PEACE.

DancingJesus said:
Kanye West on "Power":

"Colin Powells, Austin Powers
Lost in translation with a whole f-ckin’ nation

At the end of day, goddammit, I’m killin’ this shit
I know damn well y’all feelin’ this shit
I don’t need yo’ pussy, bitch, I’m on my own dick
I ain’t gotta power trip, who you goin’ home with?
How ‘Ye doin’? I’m survivin’
I was drinkin’ earlier, now I’m drivin’
Where the bad b*tches, huh? Where ya hidin’?
I got the power, make yo’ life so excitin"

That's some deep stuff.

I'm not taking away from Kanye as a musician, I think his compositions are some of the best. But lyrics are definitely not his strong suit.

You and I both know the main reason he's popular(like 50 cent) is because his beats are catchy as hell.

Pimpwerx said:
Man, when Eminem owned his ass on Renegade on Blueprint, it shot Em to the top of the "best ever" charts. Before that he was just a whiteboy with really good freestyles, but after Renegade, he was in the convo for GOAT. Since Nicki topped not just Jay-Z, but Kanye and Rick Ross at the same time, is it really that outlandish to call her the best female ever? Has any other female ever stood her ground that way on a track with men?

Lauren Hill did in the Fugees, but that was against Pras and Wyclef...not exactly great rappers/lyricists. PEACE.

yea but do nikki bust her guns?

Nicki is nice and all but the best female MC is

pthumb_195JeanGrae.jpg

Jean Grae by a goddamn country mile.

Pimpwerx

zero_suit said:
Huh? :lol :lol
Love them or hate them, they're leading the field right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZKEFMgVT-M

Intellectual rap is overrated. Good music is something that sounds good, and I think it's hard to argue that these two don't put out extremely listenable music. The hate against Weezy should have dissipated by now. Dudes gone through more styles than most rappers have albums. He's put out more mixtapes than some rappers have tracks. Dude's nasty.

6'7' is pretty tight too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMQc-AH75gA

It sounds like he actually wrote that one. PEACE.

EDIT: Dammit, link me to some good Jean Grae songs, guys. I'm interested.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Pimpwerx said:

Lupe outrapped Jay no problem and all he got was the award for World's Greatest Letdown.

Nicki is ...okay, but all she's nothing more than a hyped lil kim clone. I'd even put Left Eye higher up than Nicki.
lightless_shado said:
Too slow!
Preemptive hating!

DancingJesus said:
Kanye West on the track Power:

"Colin Powells, Austin Powers
Lost in translation with a whole f-ckin’ nation
At the end of day, goddammit, I’m killin’ this shit
I know damn well y’all feelin’ this shit
I don’t need yo’ pussy, bitch, I’m on my own dick
I ain’t gotta power trip, who you goin’ home with?
How ‘Ye doin’? I’m survivin’
I was drinkin’ earlier, now I’m drivin’
Where the bad b*tches, huh? Where ya hidin’?
I got the power, make yo’ life so excitin"

That's some deep stuff.

I'm not taking away from Kanye as a musician, I think his compositions are some of the best. But lyrics are definitely not his strong suit.

Before I even get started you're cherry picking a few silly bars from the years and years of stuff the dude's put out. Not kosher hombre.

That being said, I don't disagree with you. Lyrics rank pretty low among Kanye's list of talents. But I'm also not trying to call him the one of the best rappers. (he'd be somewhere on my best producers list but that's not point here)

And it's the same shit for Nicki. I don't think anyone should consider her the best female rapper, or best anything rapper unless she steps her lyrical game up. Which won't happen if people continue to be so easily pleased by her.

Anyone who just flatout says no and laughs at the very thought has nostalgia glasses on..

IMO she's right up there with Jean. Bahamadia just gets more love from old heads because she rapped over Premier beats, don't get me wrong she's damn good but not one of the best. Bahamadia's style is pretty much Buckshot but only when he's in chill mode a la Got Cha Opin Remix but she doesn't get hype like Buck does at times. She's not all that dynamic.

So yeah, Nicki ties with Jean Grae for me, they're neck and neck.

Pimpwerx: here's some Jean Grae tracks for you:

Natural Resource - Negro League Baseball
Natural Resource - Bum Deal - She KILLS this one
Jean Grae - Love Song
Jean Grae - What Would I Do
Jean Grae - Knock
Jean Grae - Don't Rush Me

Degen

Missy Elliot stomps her so hard that it's so not even funny that it actually IS funny

EDIT:
yencid said:
i fucking hate the voice changes also the stupid faces she makes
this this this this this ffffuuuuuu

Pimpwerx said:

Jay-Z's lyrics get worse every year. I think it's on purpose.

Personifried said:
Before I even get started you're cherry picking a few silly bars from the years and years of stuff the dude's put out. Not kosher hombre.

That being said, I don't disagree with you. Lyrics rank pretty low among Kanye's list of talents. But I'm also not trying to call him the one of the best rappers. (he'd be somewhere on my best producers list but that's not point here)

And it's the same shit for Nicki. I don't think anyone should consider her the best female rapper, or best anything rapper unless she steps her lyrical game up. Which won't happen if people continue to be so easily pleased by her.

I'm with you a 100% on this.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
i don't think rappers with one album get these kind of wonderful (potentially) ghost written verses, let alone ghost written verses utilizing multiple personalities. doesn't make sense?

Kusagari

Wow this thread is awful. Nicki only sounds good on features and specifically on Monster. Her album is garbage and shows how she's not even good enough to hold down an average album. Let alone be the greatest female rapper ever.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
She's one of the most energetic, but that's about it. She does own 2010 up, since there really isn't any other female doing it. She's nowhere near female GOAT though...

As for her one-upping Jay on monster...that was a fluke. He's been dialing ish in for a while now, but he still has it. Word to his verse on Shiny Suit Theory with Jay Electronica.

Shit, i don't count Lil Kim either for the exact same reasons as Nicki.

Satyamdas

Banned
I am astounded that I live in a world where Drake, Weezy, and Nicki could be considered even average at best rappers, let alone best in the game or best female rapper EVER. Seriously fucking flabbergasted.

HiResDes

Sweedishrodeo said:
i don't think rappers with one album get these kind of wonderful (potentially) ghost written verses, let alone ghost written verses utilizing multiple personalities. doesn't make sense?

Naw you're wrong...She has a lot of pull with everyone. Check out her verse on monster, it utilizes the schizophrenic flow, yet her verse is explicitly attributed to Kanye. He wrote the whole thing.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Pimpwerx said:

Em was (is?) a battle rapper. Killing rappers is his day job. They needed 3 body bags when he was on Forever.

Shawnna is closer to Em than Nicki is.

HiResDes

polyh3dron said:
Anyone who just flatout says no and laughs at the very thought has nostalgia glasses on..

IMO she's right up there with Jean. Bahamadia just gets more love from old heads because she rapped over Premier beats, don't get me wrong she's damn good but not one of the best. Bahamadia's style is pretty much Buckshot but only when he's in chill mode a la Got Cha Opin Remix but she doesn't get hype like Buck does at times. She's not all that dynamic.

So yeah, Nicki ties with Jean Grae for me.
She has one shitty album out, what the fuck are you talking about?

Kusagari

Personifried said:
Well it appears we're in a minority.

It's kinda crazy. I look up positive reviews of Pink Friday and ctrl+F: "lyrics"

No freaking mention.

The lyrics on Pink Friday are seriously beyond awful. Some of the worst I've ever seen.

Where All my dogs at…Randy/ Get off my dick, bitch…Andy/…Go against me nowwwwwwww, I dare you…Bambi”

A sample of the sheer absurd awfulness of it all.

Korey

HiResDes said:
Naw you're wrong...She has a lot of pull with everyone. Check out her verse on monster, it utilizes the schizophrenic flow, yet her verse is explicitly attributed to Kanye. He wrote the whole thing.
I highly doubt Kanye wrote it. I'm pretty sure she wrote the whole thing.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
Darkman M said:
:lol This is a serious discussion? Now im 100% sure overall the rap game is trash.

well this is pop rap, so don't ruffle your feathers. if you want to feel some real shit, look up Odd Future. game over, seriously though.

HiResDes

Sweedishrodeo said:
everyone's verse on that entire album is written by multiple people, so not valid. gimme another.

edit: http://www.complex.com/CELEBRITIES/Cover-Story/kanye-west-project-runaway?page=5

i really don't think he wrote her verse completely

I can only find ghost writers on a various number of her features...I take back what I said, no one in their right mind but her could come up with something as terrible as Roman's Revenge...She might of very well written her own album. I was wrong.

Kronotech

After hearing Roman's Revenger... hell no, she is not close to the best female rapper. Her rhymes don't make any sense. She uses Elementary shit too much.

HiResDes

lightless_shado said:
I think she's trying to bite Lady Gaga's style. That or she spent years in a japanese high school and goes clubbing in Tokyo.
Right there she is trying to evoke the blank stare of a Barbie Doll...It's a fucking gimmick. She's a gimmick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom