• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicki Minaj the best female rapper ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The M.O.B

RAH RAH LIKE A DUNGEON DRAGON
RAH RAH LIKE A DUNGEON DRAGON
LIKE A DUNGEON DRAGON
LIKE A DUNGEON DRAGON
LIKE A DUNGEON DRAGON

................or it goes something like that.

Minaj is just trying way too hard to be different.

My biggest beef with Pimp is that he said Drake is one of the best rappers in the game...................cmon son.

Drake wouldn't even make my top 25 right now.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Nicki doesn't even write enough of her own lyrics, to be in the GOAT conversation. Iff you're mediocre with ghost writers, you suck.

It's between Lauryn Hill and Jean Grae.

Korey

HiResDes said:
Right there she is trying to evoke the blank stare of a Barbie Doll...It's a fucking gimmick. She's a gimmick.
Or she's trying to be successful in mainstream music. Unless you're saying Lady Gaga's just a gimmick too.

Kusagari

The M.O.B said:
My biggest beef with Pimp is that he said Drake is one of the best rappers in the game...................cmon son.

Drake wouldn't even make my top 25 right now.

Nicki copped Drake's horrid nursery rhyming so it's no surprise he thinks Drake is one of the best.

yencid

Kusagari said:
The lyrics on Pink Friday are seriously beyond awful. Some of the worst I've ever seen.

Where All my dogs at…Randy/ Get off my dick, bitch…Andy/…Go against me nowwwwwwww, I dare you…Bambi”
Does this style have a name? I dont remember when i started hearing this trend but i've always fucking hate it.

HiResDes

Korey said:
Or she's trying to be successful in mainstream music. Unless you're saying Lady Gaga's just a gimmick too.

Lady Gaga is much more talented than Nicki Minaj. Don't even try to equate the two. Or bait me into calling Gaga a gimmick (though she kinda is).

PSGames

She's the female Eminem. I give her credit for being able to switch up her flow like she does. Pretty fucking impressive. But I would in noway say she's the best Female MC ever. Lauryn Hill kills her on her worst day. Seriously, the shit Hill spits in her flows are on another level.

HiResDes

yencid said:
Does this style have a name? I dont remember when i started hearing this trend but i've always fucking hate it.

It's attributed to Weezy. It doesn't really have a name.

Also the people sleeping on Dessa and Eternia & Moss need get to you-tubing.

IrishNinja

she's gimmicky, but almost everybody on the radio is/has to be now. Ghost called it years ago, its WWF shit.

her lyrics are ABC/123 but she kinda picked that up from wayne, he just does it better. yeah, she's trying mad hard to stand out but im not sure how much you can blame her for trying to bring some of gaga's shit over, its not like lil kim didn't want to do shit like that in the past (to a much lesser extent).

we totally can't have a serious discussion about this until she's had a few albums out, though. another problem for me is that female rappers have a lot fewer tiers/room than male ones, sadly...you got Lyte, Missy and others (Kim, Eve, Lauryn, Jean, few others can be argued here), then an "ok" tier, then a whole lotta bullshit.

and yeah, 2 Fugee albums + 1 solo (lotta b-sides too) and Lauryn didn't do it long enough to hang? :lol fuck outta here, man!

The M.O.B

Nicki's greatest bars

I’m a bad bitch, I’m a cunt
And I’ll kick that hoe, punt
Forced trauma, blunt
You play the back, bitch, I’m in the front

dotdotdot

smh

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Even just reading that makes me feel sick. Comparing her to Mc Lyte? Rah Digga? Lauryn Hill? Bahamadia? Jean Grae?
She is garbage, complete and utter garbage in every way. Just a lazy punchline rapper with an obnoxious voice and nothing interesting to offer. I am repulsed in every way by this creature.

HiResDes

Lauryn Hill is one rapper that I know is almost completely ghost-written as she is, whereas now after having checked my sources at least Nicki writes all of her childish, elementary bullshit.

...Just playing devil's advocate now

Darkman M

PSGames said:
She's the female Eminem. I give her credit for being able to switch up her flow like she does. Pretty fucking impressive. But I would in noway say she's the best Female MC ever. Lauryn Hill kills her on her worst day. Seriously, the shit Hill spits in her flows are on another level.

Eminem actually has real talent though.

Korey

HiResDes said:
Lady Gaga is much more talented than Nicki Minaj. Don't even try to equate the two. Or bait me into calling Gaga a gimmick (though she kinda is).
Why can't I equate the two?

MTV recently did a documentary about her: Nicki Minaj: My Time is Now She comes off as an intelligent person who is self aware and understands how the industry and pop music works. Being successful as a female pop artist is hard. She has to do that on top of being in the male dominated rap game.

Watch the whole thing here: http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/60...ive-unknown-to-vma-performer.jhtml#id=1653117

Plus, Nicki's just starting her career.

Pimpwerx

Kusagari said:
Wow this thread is awful. Nicki only sounds good on features and specifically on Monster. Her album is garbage and shows how she's not even good enough to hold down an average album. Let alone be the greatest female rapper ever.
I think Wayne got the better verse on this Sweet Dreams Remix:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH-4OhStp9o#t=1m19s

I actually think this is the first song that made me notice her because I had this shit on repeat when I drove around. I'm a Weezy mark, so maybe he has a knock-on influence on how I feel about Nicki or Drake, but she damn sure holds her own on every track I've heard. I can't think of one collabo where she sounds garbage. Her body of work is limited, but she does a ton of guest appearances already, and comes through every time. PEACE.

HiResDes

Just because she's self-aware doesn't mean I have to approve of her bullshit. Her personality isn't the root of the problem anyway. It's shitty songs like Roman's Revenge or Ice Cream Man. I can't even say she's sold out, since she's proven to be shitty from the start.

Kusagari

Drake admitted in an interview he stole it from Big Sean. Drake's the one who popularized it though and made every rapper alive like Luda cop it.

Satyamdas

Banned
Korey said:
Why can't I equate the two?

MTV recently did a documentary about her: Nicki Minaj: My Time is Now She comes off as an intelligent person who is self aware and understands how the industry and pop music works. Being successful as a female pop artist is hard. She has to do that on top of being in the male dominated rap game.

Watch the whole thing here: http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/60...ive-unknown-to-vma-performer.jhtml#id=1653117

Plus, Nicki's just starting her career.
None of that has anything to do with the complete lunacy of saying she might be the greatest female rapper of all time. Making good business moves? Great, whoopdeedoo. Has a large emptyheaded following? Fucking awesome. Best female rapper of all time? Conversation over, you are a certified fuckwad.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HiResDes said:
You're both wrong. Lil Wayne did and popularized it first.
Kanye brings up the fact that its nothing new. Here's another hit, Barry Bonds. But yeah Weezy did popularize it.

But seriously OP, are you smoking crack or something? I stopped reading when you listed MC Lyte, heck just when you listed MC Lyte next to Lil' Kim goddamn.

The M.O.B

DeathbyVolcano said:
That doesn't really bother me *shrugs*

It will when she goes through the exact same voice changing routine in every song.

Regular voice - Deep voice - Cute voice - angry voice.

Everytime.

Pimpwerx

BamYouHaveAids said:
Are you pretending Lauryn hill doesn't exist? You never answered.
I mentioned her, but her body of work is more limited than Nicki's. Fugees had two albums where she was great, but not solo. Her solo was better on the r&b side than the hip-hop, since she's clearly better at that. It doesn't mean she's not a great rapper, just way better at singing, so she seemed to put more emphasis on that. Miseducation didn't really display her talents like it could have. If she did mixtapes or a lot of side appearances it would help. As it stands, we can only really compare her to Pras and Clef, and neither is even in the Top500 of all-time rappers. PEACE.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
HiResDes said:
You're both wrong. Lil Wayne did and popularized it first.

Yeah and I remember being annoyed by it when he started it. Drake and Big Sean were even more blatant about it, and Nicki has taken it to a level of absurdity nobody can match. I call it Lazy Punchlines cause thats what it is. Cant even be bothered to write a full fucking line so you leave half of it out and just tack on a word or name at the end. It screams lazy and uncreative.

Pimpwerx

ZephyrFate said:
It's like after 2005 people seemed to conveniently forget the Queen, Lauryn Hill.

Everyone else can go suck a fuck.
Lauryn I didn't forget. Queen Latifah was never that good. Let's be real. MC Lyte ate her lunch coming and going. Latifah got over on her feminism more than her actual talent. Dare I say Queen was Yo-Yo bad. PEACE.

Korey

Satyamdas said:
None of that has anything to do with the complete lunacy of saying she might be the greatest female rapper of all time. Making good business moves? Great, whoopdeedoo. Has a large emptyheaded following? Fucking awesome. Best female rapper of all time? Conversation over, you are a certified fuckwad.
1) I never said she was the best female rapper of all time, dumbass.

2) Chill the fuck out, junior.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The M.O.B said:
It will when she goes through the exact same voice changing routine in every song.

Regular voice - Deep voice - Cute voice - angry voice.

Everytime.
Did you hear her talk about how she has 4 alter egos and how that's what each of her voices represents?

And the cute one is a gay guy that also likes girls?

Yeah fuck Nicki.

Satyamdas

Banned
Korey said:
1) I never said she was the best female rapper of all time, dumbass.

2) Chill the fuck out.
1) I never said that you said that, but check the topic of the thread you are in, son.

2) I am quite chill, I assure you.

PSGames

Pimpwerx said:
I mentioned her, but her body of work is more limited than Nicki's. Fugees had two albums where she was great, but not solo. Her solo was better on the r&b side than the hip-hop, since she's clearly better at that. It doesn't mean she's not a great rapper, just way better at singing, so she seemed to put more emphasis on that. Miseducation didn't really display her talents like it could have. If she did mixtapes or a lot of side appearances it would help. As it stands, we can only really compare her to Pras and Clef, and neither is even in the Top500 of all-time rappers. PEACE.

Dude WTF are you talking about? Why can we only compare her to Pras and Clef? It doesn't matter who she was on the track with. Lyrically Lauryn Hill kills Nicki even from the 2 Fugee albums. Nicki has a great delivery (similar to Eminem) and can channel emotion through her voice but she cannot fuck with Lauryn where it really counts which is the lyrics.

tirminyl

Outside of the old school artists, Lauryn Hill is the only one who I have liked. From Fugees, Miseducation, Unplugged, and various live performances, I haven't really found another female artist that was able to contend lyrically. That's just my opinion though.

Pimpwerx

enzo_gt said:
Kanye brings up the fact that its nothing new. Here's another hit, Barry Bonds. But yeah Weezy did popularize it.

But seriously OP, are you smoking crack or something? I stopped reading when you listed MC Lyte, heck just when you listed MC Lyte next to Lil' Kim goddamn.
What's wrong with Lyte? In the early-90's and late 80's, what other females were there? There was Lyte, Heather B, Queen Latifah and what else? I was just a kid, and didn't go online until like 94', so it was only mainstream for me. Anyone on radio or BET. I don't remember too many outside of those three. YoYo and others were one-hitters.

From what I remember, Lyte was the best of the females. Hard but she could still have some intellectual songs. Ruff neck was really the first time she tried to go mainstream and make some money. Can't fault her for that given how hard she had to work to get noticed. Then again, I don't know jack about which ladies wrote their own verses. All I know if Kim had BIG write for her, and Queen probably wrote most of her stuff. PEACE.

dcdobson

She certainly isn't trash, but there are plenty of better female rappers.

Invincible - Sledgehammer

51l7gTfjV6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pimpwerx said:
What's wrong with Lyte? In the early-90's and late 80's, what other females were there? There was Lyte, Heather B, Queen Latifah and what else? I was just a kid, and didn't go online until like 94', so it was only mainstream for me. Anyone on radio or BET. I don't remember too many outside of those three. YoYo and others were one-hitters.

From what I remember, Lyte was the best of the females. Hard but she could still have some intellectual songs. Ruff neck was really the first time she tried to go mainstream and make some money. Can't fault her for that given how hard she had to work to get noticed. Then again, I don't know jack about which ladies wrote their own verses. All I know if Kim had BIG write for her, and Queen probably wrote most of her stuff. PEACE.
Nothings wrong with Lyte, I think she's pretty talented. I just think its a sin to compare Nicki Minaj to MC Lyte. And a lesser sin to compare Lil' Kim to MC Lyte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom