• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicola Sturgeon: 2nd Independence Referendum IS on the table - supported by manifesto

Status
Not open for further replies.
This doesn't make any sense.

Scotland voted for status quo. Now the status quo changed against their will. Scotland deserves another chance to decide its fate because the conditions have changed dramatically.

Not to even mention that one of the threats against Scottish independence was that they won't be able to (easily) join EU.

If Scotland leaves then the Status Quo has changed even more for the UK. We voted on EU membership, not on the breaking up of the United Kingdom.

Not that I voted leave at all. This entire thing is a gigantic clusterfuck that should never have been put to the public in the first place.

Seanbob11

I'm unhappy with how the vote turned out, but already going on about another Indy ref isn't right just now.

We need to know what the deal will be when we divorce from Europe, and that won't be for another couple of years. Can't believe we Scottish would vote for Indy when we most certainly would not keep the pound now and oil prices are less than half what they were for the first referendum.

A very sad day.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It might seem rushed and some people would want to play the wait and see game, but I think that actually the faster this is done the more opportunities for Scotland will be. Just think at all the companies that now try to relocate out of UK, Scotland could actually compete for that. It could seem unfair, but Ireland and Scotland might benefit from UK's leave.

Xieldos

My entire family voted Yes last time, voted Remain in the EU referendum, so of course we'll be YES again this time.

It might seem rushed and some people would want to play the wait and see game, but I think that actually the faster this is done the more opportunities for Scotland will be. Just think at all the companies that now try to relocate out of UK, Scotland could actually compete for that. It could seem unfair, but Ireland and Scotland might benefit from UK's leave.
Yep. It's like a bandaid. It hurts less it just rip it off.

If I were Scotland, I'd be making overtures to companies and services in London who are jittery about the long term effects of the Brexit.

I wouldn't want to stay with England either.

Like one of the main arguments of the Better Together camp was that Scotland wouldn't be able to join the EU on their own

This sounds fair, and I'm curious to see how leavers are going to explain why this shouldn't happen.

If Scotland leaves then the Status Quo has changed even more for the UK. We voted on EU membership, not on the breaking up of the United Kingdom.

Not that I voted leave at all. This entire thing is a gigantic clusterfuck that should never have been put to the public in the first place.
This really underlines how catastrophically incompetent Cameron turned out to be.

Hasney

Honestly, following a theoretical independence vote, everything would be unstable. May as well do it now while the entire UK is fucked as the pain will be felt less.

Good luck Scotland, hope you free yourselves from our mess even though I'd be sad to see you go.

AGoodODST

There is definitely a mandate after that result.

Lots of word about No voters changing their minds from 2014. But will it be enough?

There is definitely a mandate after that result.

Lots of word about No voters changing their minds from 2014. But will it be enough?

Yeah just wait till Boris is PM. More hated that Thatcher was after the poll tax, hence why the Scottish Tories may have to break away fro the UK party, they know they would be destroyed if they do not. I reckon with Boris as PM it would be a landslide and without still healthy yes vote. Still can't believe I'm saying this.

Neo C.

It would be very smart to go independent ASAP, the EU would be happy to make England look bad and therefore will offer Scotland some nice special conditions.

eizarus

Banned
oh come on. The call for a second referendum is not a new thing that is caused by this referendum.

London has a bigger population than scotland and also voted to stay, should they gain independance? No of course not. We are in this together.
London is not a nation. Scotland is. Just because London has a bigger population doesn't mean it gets the same rules and regulations as a nation.

Were you serious with that comparison?

I'd hate to see Scotland leave, but as a remain voter, I can completely understand why they'd want to. I'm only sorry they can't take London with them (halp!).

It would be very smart to go independent ASAP, the EU would be happy to make England look bad and therefore will offer Scotland some nice special conditions.

Yeah, no. Scotland isn't going to get accepted into the EU as long as Spain's in it after a unilateral declaration of independence and besides, it remains to be seen whether being in an EU without a FTA with the rUK would even be in Scotland's interests.

Jonnax

oh come on. The call for a second referendum is not a new thing that is caused by this referendum.

London has a bigger population than scotland and also voted to stay, should they gain independance? No of course not. We are in this together.

No. Scotland didn't vote for the Tories and got them. And they didn't vote to get out of the EU and got it.

I don't quite see where they have to be together with an England that dictates what they have to do.

Betty

Banned
I'm voting yes all the way, I don't want to break up the UK but I don't want to stand with England after they just shot a cannonball into their own ship.

Kabouter

Yeah, no. Scotland isn't going to get accepted into the EU as long as Spain's in it after a unilateral declaration of independence and besides, it remains to be seen whether being in an EU without a FTA with the rUK would even be in Scotland's interests.

Yeah, as much as I wanted the UK to remain part of the EU, I don't think it would be in the Scottish best interest to separate themselves from the UK unless it can be done in such a way that trade and travel between them and the UK isn't impeded too much.

Chuckie

Wow, this could be history in the making.

I've always been for an independent Scotland, but truth be told, that was because of Braveheart. I was surprised the majority voted against it last time.

If they declare independence before the UK finishes pulling out of the EU, would they actually need to negotiate re-entry into the EU? I'm guessing "yes" but I gather it's probably a complicated situation for sure.

Zelias

Banned
As an Englishman, I was neutral leaning towards stay last time.

After the EU vote, I'm all for their independence... so long as they take me with them.

Yeah, as much as I wanted the UK to remain part of the EU, I don't think it would be in the Scottish best interest to separate themselves from the UK unless it can be done in such a way that trade and travel between them and the UK isn't impeded too much.

That's exactly what the independence campaign said would happen last time.

We don't want to put up a wall and become isolationist. Quite the opposite.

It's not a typical nationalism.

Yeah I don't think trade would be impacted, sure maybe some minor inconveniences but where there is a will there is a way, the Status Quo cannot continue after today.

As an Englishman, I was neutral leaning towards stay last time.

After the EU vote, I'm all for their independence... so long as they take me with them.

Your post gives me a question actually.

If an Englishman moves to Scotland, which is technically the same country of residence (passport wise), can they vote for independence? What would they have to do to be able to do that?

This doesn't make any sense.

Scotland voted for status quo. Now the status quo changed against their will. Scotland deserves another chance to decide its fate because the conditions have changed dramatically.

Not to even mention that one of the threats against Scottish independence was that they won't be able to (easily) join EU.

It's a race to leave the sinking UK and grab all the EU jobs England doesn't seem to want.

kharma45

Yes

They'd be significantly weaker without Scotland. Northern Ireland is also threatening to reintegrate with the rest of Ireland (though I find that more unlike than Scottish independence, for now). So there's a real threat the UK will be broken up.

Northern Ireland aren't, only one party is calling for it.

Sulik2

We are literally watching a country rip itself apart at the ballot box. I don't honestly know if we have ever seen anything quite like what is happening in the UK in history.

TDLink

Northern Ireland aren't, only one party is calling for it.

Sure but the idea is out there now and it's not out of the realm of possibility. I don't think N. Ireland matters much to the strength of the UK either way though. Losing Scotland would be a big blow and is the most likely to leave at this point.

I was happy that scotland voted to keep the union alive. And i honestly believe we're better together. But now i support your independence. The braindead british public need to accept the consequences of their actions. We shouldnt have to drag a good country like scotland down with us.

Orbis

I was happy that scotland voted to keep the union alive. And i honestly believe we're better together. But now i support your independence. The braindead british public need to accept the consequences of their actions. We shouldnt have to drag a good country like scotland down with us.
Agreed, I was happy with Scotland staying in the UK but I feel that Scotland should be allowed to hold a second referendum based on this outcome.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Not surprised and I actually considering making real steps in moving back to Scotland.

Even though they got a ton of EU funding while putting in less, they chose to leave.

So yeah.

Well that was sure smart of the Welsh. ¬_¬;

They'd be significantly weaker without Scotland. Northern Ireland is also threatening to reintegrate with the rest of Ireland (though I find that more unlike than Scottish independence, for now). So there's a real threat the UK will be broken up.

It will be an end of an era if the UK ends up being no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom