• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata Releasing March 7th 2017

Pooya

Sony's done a complete 180 on platform transparency in general. The nature of the multiplatform games featured during this year's PSX presentation was deliberately obfuscated and they all fall into one of the following categories:

- Said to be exclusive when it isn't (e.g. this one)
- Said to be a timed exclusive when it isn't (e.g. Absolver)
- Had a trailer in which the other platforms are omitted entirely (e.g. Marvel versus Capcom Infinite)
- Had a trailer in which there is no legal or platform information to speak of (e.g. Vane)
- Had a trailer in which the legal/platform information is at the end but obscured by way of quick cuts (e.g. Danganronpa)
- Had a trailer in which the multiplatform nature is a tiny footnote (e.g. the PlanetSide 2 DLC)

This is in stark contrast to last year's PSX, where there were three categories that were displayed clearly underneath the game logo on stage: exclusive, console exclusive and console debut. There's been quite a bit of discussion regarding just how exclusive Nioh is and I'd wager this is at least partially why Sony evidently re-evaluated how honest/open it ought to be when advertising games for its own platforms.

The most confusing one is Ace Combat actually. They keep repeating the exclusive VR features, so does that mean the main game is coming else where right? No comment. Seemingly NamcoBandai is barred from talking about that and at the same time they carefully avoid saying it's an exclusive game. The game was announced at PSX last year and this was the first update since again at PSX. they clearly can't talk about the game on their own. Seems really dumb. I'm not sure why they're so concerned all of a sudden.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Well count me in as being tired over this shit, please just give us something that isn't completely wrong or vague.
Sony really didn't help with my suspiscion when they call the game a playstation exclusive without any clarification afterward.

sense

It is not just about the date, the Steam logo isn't even on the official website and all the marketing material ignores the PC version.

Who would be more interested in this, S-E or Sony?
Square? They want people to buy the PS4 version instead of advertising a version that is not releasing alongside it?and also hope for double dippers? I doubt Sony cares too much to moneyhat or lie about a niche game like this.

Square? They want people to buy the PS4 version instead of advertising a version that is not releasing alongside it?and also hope for double dippers? I doubt Sony cares too much to moneyhat or lie about a niche game like this.

The problem isn't that. The problem is that it was releasing alongside. Hope for double dippers ? That'd be the case if it wasn't announced before. The double dippers thing is a myth. As for Sony, it's not about money it's also about marketing. It's also true that while I dont see them caring that much about NieR, they didn't bothered showing the game at their press conf and now they did for the first time, while calling it an exclusive. I wouldn't be surprised uf they got the PC version delayed in exchange of marketing and exposure on their social medias and such. I also wouldn't be surprised if Square Enix delayed it to sell Black Box editions or more simple, I wouldn't be surprised if they just don't know if they can release it on time or whatever.

GrayChild

Between this, the FFXV PC port and the botched Steam release of FFIX to name a few, Square has been really treating their PC fanbase like trash.

The port job probably doesnt have a set finish date is whats happening. Simultaneously launch couldve been a rush job considering the late Steam announcement.

Could also be that. But it doesn't change what I'm saying: They should be transparent about it.

Fat4all

Banned
We are already being toyed by Yoko Taro.

1445953935963.gif

GrayChild

The port job probably doesnt have a set finish date is whats happening. Simultaneously launch couldve been a rush job considering the late Steam announcement.

Saito already confirmed that the PC is the leading platform during development and the game is then ported and optimised separately for PS4.

http://www.rpgsite.net/interview/4971-nier-automata-interview-square-talks-rpg-systems-and-the-platinum-partnership

We actually start creating our games now on high-spec PCs and then optimize for the different consoles we release on.

I would understand delaying a game that's been designed with the PS4 hardware in mind, but that doesn't appear to be the case here. In addition, the lack of the Steam logo on their main website as well as the absence of any mention of the PC release in the EU press release is highly suspicious.

Alastor3

I went completely blind about this game because the first one was one of my top 5 game of all time and the only game I ever do 100%

But I feel I should be more hype or something, but since I saw only a glimpse of it, it's hard to get hype.

Arklite

Saito already confirmed that the PC is the leading platform during development and the game is then ported and optimised separately for PS4.

http://www.rpgsite.net/interview/4971-nier-automata-interview-square-talks-rpg-systems-and-the-platinum-partnership

I would understand delaying a game that's been designed with the PS4 hardware in mind, but that doesn't appear to be the case here. In addition, the lack of the Steam logo on their main website as well as the absence of any mention of the PC release in the EU press release is highly suspicious.

Well going by that article it does seem likely that Sony has a marketing agreement if a PC build is there from the start. Otherwise there'd be no reason to not have dates for both.

Nzyme32

All my money is on Square having done something; wouldn't be surprised if they took some money for timed exclusivity. It speaks volumes that Taro, who was open about it before, has stated essentially "ask square".

Zhao_Yun

All my money is on Square having done something; wouldn't be surprised if they took some money for timed exclusivity. It speaks volumes that Taro, who was open about it before, has stated essentially "ask square".

"ask square" is yokos standard reply to nearly everything, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/784603775352860673
https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/777444765826555905
https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/777444920499933184
https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/798595943616548865
https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/784603916306710529
https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/721135886973272064
https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/716444707425951744

Even with this muddied messaging, I still think it'll be pretty close to the PS4 release. 18 months at the most.
Now that's what I call pessimistic.

At that rate GhostTrick would be so banned his kids
(if he has any)
would inherit his ban.

Coda

Hate to rag on PC players as this is unfortunate news but it's also some thing "Action RPG" fans should expect. Consoles have always been the home for games like this, at least high budget ones from Japan so if you're into these kind of games not owning the console of that generation means you won't be playing a lot of them, or you'll have to wait quite a bit or suffer a poor port of the game. Once again, I'm not saying I wish this was the case, but sadly it is.

Between games like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta 1/2, The Wonderful 101, Ninja Gaiden and others, it's just the way it is.

12BoM

Why are you guys so worried about the PC version? Didnt they already say how there wouldnt be that many graphics options in the first place? If thats the case shouldnt be much different than the ps4 version assuming you have one

Hektor

Hate to rag on PC players as this is unfortunate news but it's also some thing "Action RPG" fans should expect. Consoles have always been the home for games like this, at least high budget ones from Japan so if you're into these kind of games not owning the console of that generation means you won't be playing a lot of them, or you'll have to wait quite a bit or suffer a poor port of the game. Once again, I'm not saying I wish this was the case, but sadly it is.

Between games like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta 1/2, The Wonderful 101, Ninja Gaiden and others, it's just the way it is.

This is not only a completely useless thing to bring into this thread, a lot of it is also very untrue, if you actually pay attention to the pc market of recent year you'll see bascially all major japanese devs porting their stuff nowadays, often in decent to good ports.

Hell, Dark Souls is selling 50% of it's copies on PC.

Both the last Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry 4 HD even had a timely PC port

Coda

This is not only a completely useless thing to bring into this thread, a lot of it is also very untrue, if you actually pay attention to the pc market of recent year you'll see bascially all major japanese devs porting their stuff nowadays, often in decent to good ports.

Hell, Dark Souls is selling 50% of it's copies on PC.

Both the last Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry 4 HD even had a timely PC port

I mean yes, somewhat lately they have been but it's never a shoe-in. I guess I was just trying to say that there's either always an exclusive that gets me to buy console. If PC got all those exclusives I'd never have a reason to buy a console.

Sony's done a complete 180 on platform transparency in general. The nature of the multiplatform games featured during this year's PSX presentation was deliberately obfuscated and they all fall into one of the following categories:

- Had a trailer in which the other platforms are omitted entirely (e.g. Marvel versus Capcom Infinite)

I get where you're coming from, but you can't honestly expect them to have a trailer at their conference with Xbox One logo's and trademarks slapped all over the end slate.

duckroll

I mean yes, somewhat lately they have been but it's never a shoe-in. I guess I was just trying to say that there's either always an exclusive that gets me to buy console. If PC got all those exclusives I'd never have a reason to buy a console.

What is your contribution to this thread and what does it have to do with the release of Nier Automata? Did you just come in here to stir system wars nonsense? Like, what are you even taking about?

Day One. This could be my GOTY and it is only behind Resident Evil 7 and Horizon Zero Dawn in anticipation. Persona 5 clocking in at #4 for those who were just dying to know.

Sucks for the PC crowd, but at least you know will be getting the game for sure at some point.

Coda

What is your contribution to this thread and what does it have to do with the release of Nier Automata? Did you just come in here to stir system wars nonsense? Like, what are you even taking about?

I mean people were discussing it earlier in the thread. I'm not trying to stir up anything just state a fact that has been better as of late but is still very much a real thing; either it's locked to a platform or is a timed exclusive is all I'm saying. I feel bad for PC only players that now have to wait longer for the game.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
One of the testers completed Ending E and the PC code base deleted itself. Seriously though I hope they give a date soon. I think they're trying to get it ready but don't know yet. Although that sort of implies it will end up being late

duckroll

I mean people were discussing it earlier in the thread. I'm not trying to stir up anything just state a fact that has been better as of late but is still very much a real thing; either it's locked to a platform or is a timed exclusive is all I'm saying. I feel bad for PC only players that now have to wait longer for the game.

I don't think fans expected the game on PC at all. There were no expectations. S-E were the ones who specifically announced it for PC back in August, and even made a special wacky announcement trailer declaring it would be released on Steam. So I don't think it is reasonable to say "lol people should just expect it" when the company sucks at communication. If it's a time exclusive, they wouldn't even announce another platform until the period is over.

Ubernube

I don't think fans expected the game on PC at all. There were no expectations. S-E were the ones who specifically announced it for PC back in August, and even made a special wacky announcement trailer declaring it would be released on Steam. So I don't think it is reasonable to say "lol people should just expect it" when the company sucks at communication. If it's a time exclusive, they wouldn't even announce another platform until the period is over.

Given how in an interview (it's on gamesradar now that I bothered looking), Saito pretty much said that they're hiding in the shadows and doing things that not even Square knows about due to not being a large title, I wouldn't be surprised if this misinformation is coming about due to the fact that not even Square knows how things are going with the game.

They probably should keep track more often to prevent things like this if that's the case.

GrayChild

Given how in an interview (it's on gamesradar now that I bothered looking), Saito pretty much said that they're hiding in the shadows and doing things that not even Square knows about due to not being a large title, I wouldn't be surprised if this misinformation is coming about due to the fact that not even Square knows how things are going with the game.

They probably should keep track more often to prevent things like this if that's the case.

I think Saito was talking from a creative standpoint rather than someone with strictly production duties. As a more niche title, they have bigger creative freedom and less reliance of stuff like focus testing, suit intervention regarding some design choices etc.

I'm sure they have to keep their development milestones just as in any other project. The release of both the PS4 and PC versions are one of them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I get where you're coming from, but you can't honestly expect them to have a trailer at their conference with Xbox One logo's and trademarks slapped all over the end slate.

Oh, of course not. Microsoft and I would assume Nintendo are the same. But displaying the PS4 logo and only the PS4 logo does misrepresent the game as an exclusive, which is why I mentioned it.

Zhao_Yun

Edge Magazine (E301) Cover:

Since Automata is getting way more coverage (in the West) than the first game, I am wondering whether reviewers or players, that will experience a Yoko Taro game for the first time, will appreciate the weird story. As far as I see it, the increased interest is mainly because of Platinum's involvement.

sense

Oh, of course not. Microsoft and I would assume Nintendo are the same. But displaying the PS4 logo and only the PS4 logo does misrepresent the game as an exclusive, which is why I mentioned it.
Don't expect to watch platform specific conference and expect other logos on trailers. Details regarding platform availability were out there soon after the conference so there is nothing wrong with what they did. The issue is when something like rise of tomb raider happens where MS/SE were very coy with regards to details and exclusivity which pissed people off and that is misleading.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Don't expect to watch platform specific conference and expect other logos on trailers. Details regarding platform availability were out there soon after the conference so there is nothing wrong with what they did. The issue with something like rise of tomb raider was MS/SE were very coy with regards to details and exclusivity which pissed people off and that is misleading.

I don't expect it, as I said in the very post you quoted. The context of the discussion here is how different PSX 2015 and 16 are vis-a-vis platform transparency.

Don't expect to watch platform specific conference and expect other logos on trailers. Details regarding platform availability were out there soon after the conference so there is nothing wrong with what they did. The issue is when something like rise of tomb raider happens where MS/SE were very coy with regards to details and exclusivity which pissed people off and that is misleading.

Which is exactly what Sony is doing as of right now ? I mean sure MS and SE were very blurry about Tomb Raider's exclusivity deal. But it's also the case for Sony for multiple games that were branded as exclusive when they're not or announced as console exclusives. At least at last year PSX, they were fully transparent and that was appreciated.

sense

Which is exactly what Sony is doing as of right now ? I mean sure MS and SE were very blurry about Tomb Raider's exclusivity deal. But it's also the case for Sony for multiple games that were branded as exclusive when they're not or announced as console exclusives. At least at last year PSX, they were fully transparent and that was appreciated.
You are hanging on a thin thread here. The only confusion is with gio announcing nier as a PlayStation exclusive which very well could have been an accident. He also had a segment where he said these are all the PlayStation console exclusive indies coming to the platform followed by a montage. Mvc infinite was coming to all platforms so not sure what term they can use there. Then they said you can download umvc3 exclusively on PS4 today which is true and immediately details came out from official channels about its availability on other platforms in March. You guys are looking for conspiracy when there seems to be none.

Top Bottom