• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata Releasing March 7th 2017

Do you need to play the first one to enjoy the story do you think? Or will a video recap/wiki suffice?

No. It will be a self contained story, but there seems like there will be quite a lot of callbacks to the first one.

I don't think you need to do a full playthrough if you don't want to. Sure you won't get the weight of the actions and events from the game through a recap but you will at least know what is going on!

Also I suggest reading Grimoire NIer too

Can't wait for the game and the demo. In the end bought the ps4 for this game and if it is even at all like how I think it will be than it will be worth buying a system for it.

Though want to know if and when the Xbox one version comes out so I can double dip.

farisr

I seem to remember Sony making an effort to distinguish between console exclusive games and actual exclusive games at the last PSX.

Maybe Gio made a mistake. I will give him a pass because he is a nice guy and is the one that announces the Yakuza games every year.
Yup, maybe, pretty much everyone seemed to be off on their speaking game at PSX. Maybe something up with the teleprompter placement, or speed, or something else.

Shawn stumbled quite a bit, Gio did once or twice as well, Asad said Horizon Zero Dawn is out in a couple of weeks etc.

Now that Automata has been announced to release on both PS4 and PC on the same day, I'm not sure what I'd prefer...

I have a PS4 Pro and I like having physical copies of games like Nier Automata ('Exclusives'/Unique games)...

But on the other hand, I have a computer with an i7, 16GB of Ram, and a GTX 970...

Thoughts?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Now that Automata has been announced to release on both PS4 and PC on the same day, I'm not sure what I'd prefer...

I have a PS4 Pro and I like having physical copies of games like Nier Automata ('Exclusives'/Unique games)...

But on the other hand, I have a computer with an i7, 16GB of Ram, and a GTX 970...

Thoughts?

Well I'm buying both but if I had to pick one I'd want the best experience I could get which would make me lean into your PC build. I'm a big fan of Platinum and the first Nier so that is what I'd go with.

Current situation for me is: Buy Black Box (Already pre-ordered) and play Steam copy.

Thoughts?

are you just planning on getting the regular physical edition of NieR? if you get it for PS4

Considering the Black Box is an ungodly $311-361 Canadian (Depending if it gets pulled aside by Customs or not), I'd be going regular.

Hmmm... I would say if you want the Black Box then to spring for that but in your situation maybe just get the PC game. Since the cover art isn't anything to write home about yet the reversible is nice. It's not like it will have a bunch of goodies in the base game ala Witcher 3 or something, so I don't think you will be missing out too much

Exentryk

Thoughts?

Go PC coz mods, customisable controls on controller, better graphics/framerate, can stream without restrictions, use 3rd party bluetooth headphones, etc.

I have mine hooked up to the TV, so it's basically like playing on the console, but with all these benefits.

Edge Magazine (E301) Cover:

Cy5_4GtW8AA_LHo.jpg

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

Thoughts?

Play Automata at 120hz on your PC

I disagree, I think it's visually interesting

I KEEP seeing that image all kinds of wrong.
Please tell me I'm not the only one.

gdK1LDR.png

The way the hand is positioned in the center only makes the imagery worse. And it doesn't help that I'm sliightly drunk.

Coda

Thoughts?

Now that I have a Pro I'm getting it on that. Playing games on console just always feel simpler and better to me.

I'd want the best experience I could get which would make me lean into your PC build.

maybe just get the PC game.

Go PC coz mods, customisable controls on controller, better graphics/framerate, can stream without restrictions, use 3rd party bluetooth headphones, etc.

So you're all fairly confident it'll play better on my i7+970 than it will on the PS4 Pro?

My only issue with that is that I'm always weary about PC Ports and Digitial Rights/Access; mainly the latter. Having a physical copy gives me something nice to put on my shelf, and it's something I can never be locked out of.

Will the improvement in the experience (PC vs. PS4 Pro) be worth giving up the physical disc?

Wish I had a 120hz monitor, but I use a 40" Sony Bravia as my PC/PS4P display.

Now that I have a Pro I'm getting it on that. Playing games on console just always feel simpler and better to me.

I completely understand that, but at the same time, it'll always be limited to the hardware - but if I ever come back to Automata on PC with upgraded hardware, the experience (to a point) will have improved with it.

Decisions, decisions...

jett

D-Member
So you're all fairly confident it'll play better on my i7+970 than it will on the PS4 Pro?

My only issue with that is that I'm always weary about PC Ports and Digitial Rights/Access; mainly the latter. Having a physical copy gives me something nice to put on my shelf, and it's something I can never be locked out of.

Will the improvement in the experience (PC vs. PS4 Pro) be worth giving up the physical disc?

You're gonna have to wait for the Digital Foundry analysis if a physical box is that important to you.

Cannot decide if I want to do this on PS4 or PC.

Regardless my body is fucking ready. Nier was the sleeper hit of the century on the PS3 and I cannot wait for this one.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Honestly that's up to you. If you were getting the Black Box I'd just say get the PS4 version since you seem to value physical media more but you're getting the standard one that should be easy to pick up at a discounted rate later.

So question here is do you value a physical copy of a standard edition more?

wmlk

I disagree, I think it's visually interesting

tumblr_og1r3aVeTF1qjpmigo1_1280.jpg

The concept is interesting, but the black clothing from all the characters all bunched up together doesn't make anything stick out. You can easily confuse what's going on with the anatomy of different characters. Looks like a mess.

You're gonna have to wait for the Digital Foundry analysis if a physical box is that important to you.

If you were getting the Black Box I'd just say get the PS4 version since you seem to value physical media more but you're getting the standard one that should be easy to pick up at a discounted rate later.

So question here is do you value a physical copy of a standard edition more?

I have Amazon Prime so I'll get 20% off if I pre-order the Day One PS4 version.

Should I simply do that to get the best day-one price, and pick up the PC version later on in some inevitable Winter/Summer/Black Friday sale?

The concept is interesting, but the black clothing from all the characters all bunched up together doesn't make anything stick out. You can easily confuse what's going on with the anatomy of different characters. Looks like a mess.

This was mentioned in the initial box art reveal thread. 9S' coat flap doesn't help any.

Thank you, so I'm not that crazy or perverted. The body parts just melt into each other. I have no idea if the artist intended that or not, but it is a weird visual effect.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Should I simply do that to get the best day-one price, and pick up the PC version later on in some inevitable Winter/Summer/Black Friday sale?

Well if it saves you some cash that's a good reason to go for the PS4 one for now but might want to check out pre-sale coupons right before release on GMG and such and compare.
Either way if you're intent on having both you can get either version on a sale at a later date.

Exentryk

For me it is. Steam I believe has plans to let you keep playing your games even if it closes in the future.
I'll eventually pack up my PS4 once next gen hits, but my PC will still be connected and hooked up ready to go for any game I want to play from any gen.

Grief.exe

The best day one price will still likely be on PC.

Arklite

That's what I'll be doing, I want a physical copy and I'll double dip later on a Steam sale. If you intend to won both eventually I think that's a good strategy.

Well if it saves you some cash that's a good reason to go for the PS4 one for now but might want to check out pre-sale coupons right before release on GMG and such and compare.

The best day one price will still likely be on PC.

Yeah, I plan to preorder the PS4 version on Amazon & keep my eyes on discounts and such until release in case a really good deal comes out somewhere else...

... however, with the current conversion rate, I don't think I'll find a better Canadian price for it come release day.

I'll eventually pack up my PS4 once next gen hits, but my PC will still be connected and hooked up ready to go for any game I want to play from any gen.

If it's something special I'll end up getting both versions anyway, mainly because of this reason.

That's what I'll be doing, I want a physical copy and I'll double dip later on a Steam sale. If you intend to won both eventually I think that's a good strategy.

Yeah - now I'm just curious as to what the PS4 Pro version will offer. (It's already been confirmed, but no specifics have been offered.)

For me it is. Steam I believe has plans to let you keep playing your games even if it closes in the future.

Really? Is this some big recent announcement I've missed, or?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah, I plan to preorder the PS4 version on Amazon & keep my eyes on discounts and such until release in case a really good deal comes out somewhere else...

... however, with the current conversion rate, I don't think I'll find a better Canadian price for it come release day.

Ouch forgot about Canada's maple dollar dropping. Either way hope you enjoy the game I know I will. \o

Really? Is this some big recent announcement I've missed, or?

No actually known for a while after someone e-mailed Gabe directly and asked.

Maxinas

Thank you, so I'm not that crazy or perverted. The body parts just melt into each other. I have no idea if the artist intended that or not, but it is a weird visual effect.

You are perverted, i didn't even think about that until the saw that cropped version.

Momentary

Banned

Last word on that was the game was locked to 60hz even on PC. But it could have been a mistranslation hopefully since they were discussing how the game would scale for people with low power machines who really want to play it. Hopefully that's not the case. I feel like this game could easily run at 120-144FPS @ 4K.

Bl@de

Last word on that was the game was locked to 60hz even on PC. But it could have been a mistranslation hopefully since they were discussing how the game would scale for people with low power machines who really want to play it. Hopefully that's not the case. I feel like this game could easily run at 120-144FPS @ 4K.

*sigh* Games like this profit so much from 120Hz and more :-(

Coda

I completely understand that, but at the same time, it'll always be limited to the hardware - but if I ever come back to Automata on PC with upgraded hardware, the experience (to a point) will have improved with it.

Decisions, decisions...

I'm with you on that, I just bought a nice 4K TV and I like the consistency of 4K gaming on the Pro. I can probably run lower intensive games around 4K on my gaming laptop but personally I can't rely on it. Plus yeah I like buying physical as well for games that I'm confident will become a favorite of mine.

Momentary

Banned
*sigh* Games like this profit so much from 120Hz and more :-(

Devil May Cry 4 and DmC are as smooth as SILK at 120/144hz. And action RPGs like Dark Souls 3 respond so much better and look so much smoother.

Hopefully it's just people trying to translate and not understanding what they were talking about.

Plus yeah I like buying physical as well for games that I'm confident will become a favorite of mine.

This is a big reason why I'm so torn about having to choose between PS4 or PC - I always love to own a physical copy of my favorite games - to the point where I'll probably buy the original physical release and get the PC version down the line for a later replay.

Regardless, I'll see if I can't wait for the demo to decide.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Same date for the PC version according to PC Gamer:

http://www.pcgamer.com/nier-automata-has-a-new-trailer-and-a-possible-release-date/

All this bullshit and secretism about the PC version makes me think there is a marketing deal with Sony.

Sony's done a complete 180 on platform transparency in general. The nature of the multiplatform games featured during this year's PSX presentation was deliberately obfuscated and they all fall into one of the following categories:

- Said to be exclusive when it isn't (e.g. this one)
- Said to be a timed exclusive when it isn't (e.g. Absolver)
- Had a trailer in which the other platforms are omitted entirely (e.g. Marvel versus Capcom Infinite)
- Had a trailer in which there is no legal or platform information to speak of (e.g. Vane)
- Had a trailer in which the legal/platform information is at the end but obscured by way of quick cuts (e.g. Danganronpa)
- Had a trailer in which the multiplatform nature is a tiny footnote (e.g. the PlanetSide 2 DLC)

This is in stark contrast to last year's PSX, where there were three categories that were displayed clearly underneath the game logo on stage: exclusive, console exclusive and console debut. There's been quite a bit of discussion regarding just how exclusive Nioh is and I'd wager this is at least partially why Sony evidently re-evaluated how honest/open it ought to be when advertising games for its own platforms.

Zhao_Yun

PC Gamer just updated their article stating that the simultaenous release of the PC version was based on misinformation.

Update 2: The Square Enix rep who confirmed the PC release date would fall on the same day as the PS4 version in the West was unfortunately misinformed: officially, there's not yet a release date for Nier: Automata on PC, though it's definitely coming some time next year.

http://www.pcgamer.com/nier-automat..._source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

Top Bottom