• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

True Fire

Jaded gamers owe it to themselves to play Nier: Automata

giphy.gif

Samikaze

Love seeing this game get such high reviews.

We're so used to art games that try to bridge the gap between arthouse and fun getting stuck at 6-7's.

Seeing this get really high, warranted reviews just makes me happy inside.

LOLCats

Banned
STTTAAAPH, I can't keep returning/rebuying this at gamestop every other day. They'll ban me!

what? you know you have 7 days to return a used game there. doubt they have any used copies anyway...

Also if its new copy what are you doing? why would you buy it not open and return it? multiples times.

is this an attempt at sarcasm that if the game is 89 ag score youll return it? and since it goes back to 90 you go to the store and buy it again?

OuiOuiBa

Probably the same reason the other 25 reviews on Meta are not in the OP... The poster isn't going to put every damn review in there. I don't think there is some hidden agenda here.
No worry, that's not what I meant ;)
I thought the purpose of the thread was the mention every review, 'though (including those 25 others), I suppose it may give the OP an unmanageable amount of (tedious) work searching for links in the whole thread.

AndersK

what? you know you have 7 days to return a used game there. doubt they have any used copies anyway...

Also if its new copy what are you doing? why would you buy it not open and return it? multiples times.

is this an attempt at sarcasm that if the game is 89 ag score youll return it? and since it goes back to 90 you go to the store and buy it again?

Yup, just sarcasm my friend. Gonna play the hell outta this no matter what.

So, is the original required playing before jumping in with this game? I've never played the original, but the idea of a Platinum ARPG is too tempting to pass up. Should I try to hunt down the original first though?

So, is the original required playing before jumping in with this game? I've never played the original, but the idea of a Platinum ARPG is too tempting to pass up. Should I try to hunt down the original first though?

You should not need to play the first, but I would recommend you doing so, if you have the time.

You don't need to. It's very far removed from the original game. It's connected, but by strands instead of ropes.

True Fire

It's not required playing, but you owe it to yourself to listen to the soundtrack.

I firmly believe that NieR will be remade. All Yoko needs to do is polish it up with Platinum. If Automata only took 2 years to make, a NieR Remake could be released next year.

I also hope we get DLC for Automata. I'd love a Drakengard boss fight. This could be Yoko's chance to sell people on Drakengard too.

It's not required playing, but you owe it to yourself to listen to the soundtrack.

I firmly believe that NieR will be remade. All Yoko needs to do is polish it up with Platinum. If Automata only took 2 years to make, a NieR Remake could be released next year.

I also hope we get DLC for Automata. I'd love a Drakengard boss fight. This could be Yoko's chance to sell people on Drakengard too.

i think taro/platinum should go for a new ip after this, instead of a nier remake or drakengard sequel

Order of preferrence for Taro's next project:

1. New IP.
- NieR was connected to Drakengard, but in terms of design, it's effectively a new IP and as we can see, it showcased so much new idea and ingenuity. More new IPs in this industry = better and I'd love to see Yoko Taro take on new ideas.

2. New Drakengard.
- Every time I look at Scalebound, I kept thinking "man, this looks like it could work as the skeleton for a new Drakengard." I feel like if they remove the co-op element from Scalebound, scale back the ambition and fidelity that a AAA Scalebound needed and fixed some stuff, it could work as the basic tech for a new Drakengard that explores the world in a slightly more nuanced way, but still with all the dark and crazy of that world.

3. New NieR/remake
- I don't think there's a need for a new NieR or NieR-like experience so soon. Yoko Taro games are extremely harrowing and sticks onto players like glue well after completion, so it's the kind of games that I don't need to experience in short successions. Give me a different emotional beat before going for another similar one, please.

ItIsOkBro

bit of a moral question here guys, should i inform amazon? i ordered an 89 metacritic game but they shipped a 90 metacritic game instead.

Usobuko

Banned
Taro should definitely make a new IP but collaborating with Platinum is a must.

From a sales point of view since NieR did well critically and the opening sales in Japan is pretty good, the very same collaboration would only mean much more positive reception right from the start.

That's a good thing.

TheSixthAxis - 9/10

Yoko Tano’s unique storytelling ability has matched perfectly with the committed development culture at PlatinumGames, making NieR: Automata a mature and thought-provoking action-JRPG. Its tight combat and compelling narrative sets it apart from both its predecessor and the Drakengard series, and it’s utterly essential for fans of the genre.

LotusHD

Banned
Taro should definitely make a new IP but collaborating with Platinum is a must.

From a sales point of view since NieR did well critically and the opening sales in Japan is pretty good, the very same collaboration would only mean much more positive reception right from the start.

That's a good thing.

Trap him in a room with the Platinum devs, throw some alcohol in there, and then tell them to get to work lol

Also a waste of money. Automata being good will probably generate some interest in the last one but it wouldn't last and the game is easily available.

Yes platinum improved the action parts greatly compared to Nier but people are getting carried away lol

Never said it would be a great investment.

I just want an OG NIER remaster

Top Bottom