• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

The avalanche of games I want to play immediately doesn't stop. I don't have time and/or money for this shit, damn haha.

Fantastic review scores, good to see. I'm not familiar with this guy's games at all but the demo was pretty damn good despite me having some issues with it. I'll buy it whenever Nioh let's me escape its addictive clutches.

Usobuko

Banned
Trap him in a room with the Platinum devs, throw some alcohol in there, and then tell them to get to work lol

These days I'm no longer worry about Taro / Cavia, Team ICO or Yakuza. Mainstream audience took notice of them from now onwards.

I just need Kamiya to get a breakout hit and my gaming life would be satisfied. Oh, and if only more of you buy Fata Morgana.

These days I'm no longer worry about Taro / Cavia, Team ICO or Yakuza. Mainstream audience took notice of them from now onwards.

I just need Kamiya to get a breakout hit and my gaming life would be satisfied. Oh, and if only more of you buy Fata Morgana.
About that...

Uhhhhh Resident Evil 2 was fucking massive and Devil May Cry is big too.

Looks good. I'll be curious to hear what they say about it on Rebel FM and Axe of the Blood God. Arthur and me have practically identical tastes and thoughts about what makes character action games good/bad and Cat is like that for me when it comes to RPGs. Curious to see what he thinks about the action and what she thinks about the RPG stuff.

I really want to play this game if it's good. When I played my first RPG, I felt like someone should take a game like this, keep it the same but when you get into combat, it turns into Ninja Gaiden. If this is that game, i'll be super satisfied.

LotusHD

Banned
Looks good. I'll be curious to hear what they say about it on Rebel FM and Axe of the Blood God. Arthur and me have practically identical tastes and thoughts about what makes character action games good/bad and Cat is like that for me when it comes to RPGs. Curious to see what he thinks about the action and what she thinks about the RPG stuff.

I really want to play this game if it's good.
When I played my first RPG, I felt like someone should take a game like this, keep it the same but when you get into combat, it turns into Ninja Gaiden. If this is that game, i'll be super satisfied.

So... play it then.

Philippo

Order of preferrence for Taro's next project:

1. New IP.
- NieR was connected to Drakengard, but in terms of design, it's effectively a new IP and as we can see, it showcased so much new idea and ingenuity. More new IPs in this industry = better and I'd love to see Yoko Taro take on new ideas.

2. New Drakengard.
- Every time I look at Scalebound, I kept thinking "man, this looks like it could work as the skeleton for a new Drakengard." I feel like if they remove the co-op element from Scalebound, scale back the ambition and fidelity that a AAA Scalebound needed and fixed some stuff, it could work as the basic tech for a new Drakengard that explores the world in a slightly more nuanced way, but still with all the dark and crazy of that world.

3. New NieR/remake
- I don't think there's a need for a new NieR or NieR-like experience so soon. Yoko Taro games are extremely harrowing and sticks onto players like glue well after completion, so it's the kind of games that I don't need to experience in short successions. Give me a different emotional beat before going for another similar one, please.

I'd also love if SE gave Yoko Taro and Platinum some old IP to revitalize.
A Parasite Eve made by Taro/Plat would be godlike.

Oh my...

Parasite Eve would be an IP that fits quite well with Yoko Taro's sensibilities and realistically could be done for relatively cheap (comparatively)

jonjonaug

I wonder how much lower that Metacritic score would be if Square Enix didn't include that "this game isn't even close to over" message.

Launch accolades trailer (quickly flashes a couple early to mid-game bosses for the spoiler-averse)

dat universal
e12950_4255ae46dc4d4a3cb8417396073ced50~mv2.jpg_256

ZSWVngE.gif

Surprised S-E didn't even bother to air a 15 second TV spot on the usual channels (Adult Swim, Syfy, Comedy Central, etc.). Seems like even a small investment in advertising would've made a big difference in this game's visibility like it did for Horizon.

Can't wait to get this but there have been so many great games recently that it will be a couple weeks before I can get to it. Glad it's reviewing so well.

I sure hope Nier doesn't suck you in, making you unable to play Zelda at the same time.

It could and I wouldn't mind. Haha. I've been loving Zelda so much that having Nier suck me in so much I wouldn't be able to play Zelda wouldn't be that bad. I also got Horizon and Last Guardian in that Target deal, but I'm definitely not touching Horizon until I get done with Zelda and Nier probably. Same with Last Guardian.

Launch accolades trailer (quickly flashes a couple early to mid-game bosses for the spoiler-averse)

Surprised S-E didn't even bother to air a 15 second TV spot on the usual channels (Adult Swim, Syfy, Comedy Central, etc.). Seems like even a small investment in advertising would've made a big difference in this game's visibility like it did for Horizon.

Haven't started this game yet since I want to be as done with Zelda as possible and have been staying away from almost all spoilers aside from the early trailers and the demo.

As soon as I recognized it was a new version of Emil's theme I got goosebumps... then promptly closed the window.

I want to go in as fresh as possible.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Order of preferrence for Taro's next project:

1. New IP.
- NieR was connected to Drakengard, but in terms of design, it's effectively a new IP and as we can see, it showcased so much new idea and ingenuity. More new IPs in this industry = better and I'd love to see Yoko Taro take on new ideas.

2. New Drakengard.
- Every time I look at Scalebound, I kept thinking "man, this looks like it could work as the skeleton for a new Drakengard." I feel like if they remove the co-op element from Scalebound, scale back the ambition and fidelity that a AAA Scalebound needed and fixed some stuff, it could work as the basic tech for a new Drakengard that explores the world in a slightly more nuanced way, but still with all the dark and crazy of that world.

3. New NieR/remake
- I don't think there's a need for a new NieR or NieR-like experience so soon. Yoko Taro games are extremely harrowing and sticks onto players like glue well after completion, so it's the kind of games that I don't need to experience in short successions. Give me a different emotional beat before going for another similar one, please.

I think its pretty obvious 'new IP' as defined by YT will be some other timeperiod in the Drakenier verse. It doesn't even have to be called Drakengard or Nier generally...

There are way too many potential areas to set a game around already in the fiction, and even then he can just make up a new portion of lore

4Tran

It'd be terrible to see Yoko Taro stuck with someone else's IP. He's way better off coming up with his own crazy ideas.

Top Bottom