• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Guys is there any solution for garbage text that appeared in nier automata ? I just bought the game and what the hell is going on with the text ???

Golnei

Guys is there any solution for garbage text that appeared in nier automata ? I just bought the game and what the hell is going on with the text ???

It's a problem introduced by the latest update - are you on PS4 or PC? If you can delete the update data, it should fix it.

Ruff

If you have a physical copy just delete the patch and play. Btw, this is the spoiler thread so you may not want to be here.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
It's a problem introduced by the latest update - are you on PS4 or PC? If you can delete the update data, it should fix it.

I'm on pro and I don't think I can delete the latest update .. man I was hyped for this game and now I can't understand anything

Ferr986

My reading of Nier's character doesn't jive with this. While he does bond with his traveling companions over the course of the game, at no point does he relish in the adventure or reveal in the conflict against shades. Everything he does is a means to an end, with the soul goal being to save Yonah. At worst, his struggles could be characterized as grasping for any vain opportunity to be proactive about Yonah's condition, least the alternative being to helplessly watch her waste away. But leaving Yonah behind because he wants to play hero in the same way the player would want to engage in a power fantasy? No. Papa Nier would just as willingly jump into a pit of rusty syringes if doing so would cure Yonah.

Yep, that part makes no sense.

Dio

Banned
S6TR4W9.png

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Reading through that article posted earlier more in depth now that I've finished work, and damn, i never thought about the meta implications of the devola and popolla scene.

Players familiar with the first game likely recognize Devola and Popola as mysterious manipulators and late-game antagonists. They reappear in Automata, though it’s not really them. The original Devola and Popola units perished in the final battle of NieR, while the ones in Automata remain among the last of their line of models. Due to the failure of their previous incarnations and the subsequent collapse of Project Gestalt, the new Devola and Popola are ostracized by android society. Their oppressors don’t particularly know what they’re punishing them for, since the predominant belief has humans living safely on the moon. Their prejudice and abuse is more of a cultural custom than anything. But even the twins themselves have internalized their oppression. They believe they exist to suffer in order to atone for the past sins they don’t fully understand. They carry out a degrading existence, rationalizing their pain as deserved retribution. They bear the shame of their predecessors’ faces, despite knowing that they, personally, did nothing to warrant their lot in life.

But Yoko Taro doesn’t merely tell you about this prejudice. Nor does he just show it. He proves it.

Right before 9S enters the tower, the twins appear out of nowhere and brandish their weapons towards him. This almost perfectly mirrors the first game, where they appeared unexpectedly in front of the final level and threatened the heroes. Familiar players, myself included, interpreted this moment in Automata as another sign of their duplicity. A battle seems all but inevitable, but it may only seem that way because of the baggage the characters bring with them – baggage that isn’t their own. The scene promptly reveals itself as a bait-and-switch, with Devola and Popola attacking the machines flanking 9S and offering their lives in his service. They don’t seem to understand 9S’s motivation or the psychotic impetus behind it. Rather, they seek atonement through martyrdom, perhaps the only way they’ll find peace. They die selflessly, hoping they assuaged their false guilt.

The player effectively becomes an actor in this scene, as they’re expected to have an arc. Players ought to assume Devola and Popola’s hostile intentions and liken them to their former versions. But in doing so – and more importantly, being wrong – the game implicates players in the same logic that discriminatory androids use to brutalize the sisters. Contriving a scenario to show prejudice is one thing. Tricking the audience into engaging in it makes its existence undeniable and terrifying. It triggers a sense of revulsion, and further, a pang of guilt – one less burdensome yet more authentic than the one the twins harbor.

Reading through that article posted earlier more in depth now that I've finished work, and damn, i never thought about the meta implications of the devola and popolla scene.

One thing about that though, I seem to recall that it was stated somewhere that Devola and Popola were literally programmed to feel guilt over what happened with Project Gestalt. They didn't consciously internalize anything, they were made that way.

Personally, I didn't have the "here we go again" reaction in front of the tower, but apparently a lot of people did.

https://youtu.be/tYRdo9HrOTc?t=2m22s
Is the second guy on the left a maskless Yoko Taro?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO_d3fwTNPo

This is Yoko Taro.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's essentially the same though, it's just that they are forced to reckon with it.

Could be seen as how the concept of sin is indoctrinated into us whether we truly understood the concepts of sin or not.

Which actually ties in pretty nicely with how androids represent dogma.

LeleSocho

Banned
Just one thing, people (of the past at least) knew exactly why they were mad at Devola and Popola, surely leading to Automata's timeframe the reason why they were mad at them got lost but at the time of the fact...
Also i think Anemone knows too.

Philippo

Wow.

Automata really does take out the best writing skills from game journalists/aficionados, i'm reading many impressive articles since it came out.
Just another proof of how much of an exceptional game it is.

Do you have a link for the article?

Someone should make a thread about the good LGBT rep in both NieR games to counter all the threads about how crappy P5 is about it. More people need to know how good Yoko Taro is about this stuff.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Someone should make a thread about the good LGBT rep in both NieR games to counter all the threads about how crappy P5 is about it. More people need to know how good Yoko Taro is about this stuff.

Well there is 2 LGBT characters in Nier Automata? 6O and Emil right? Am I missing anyone else?

Emil stuff is mostly from the first Nier and I know the scene from Nier Automata for 6O and seen the video. Maybe someone can find a video analilsis on the first Nier that talks about Emil having the hots for brother Nier or papa Nier so it can be put on the writing of that thread if someone goes for it.

wamberz1

Well there is 2 LGBT characters in Nier Automata? 6O and Emil right? Am I missing anyone else?

Emil stuff is mostly from the first Nier and I know the scene from Nier Automata for 6O and seen the video. Maybe someone can find a video analilsis on the first Nier that talks about Emil having the hots for brother Nier or papa Nier so it can be put on the writing of that thread if someone goes for it.
https://youtu.be/BLXWenjw7ls?t=8m18s

There's also 11B and her girlfriend, and probably some other YoRHa as well

There's also the stuff about gender identity, with Pascal identifying as male even though his voice sounds very female, and the sister machines

Vazra

There's also the stuff about gender identity, with Pascal identifying as male even though his voice sounds very female, and the sister machines

Then whoever writes it up has a few things to write up.

LotusHD

Banned

That was why I loved that part so much. They knew damn well how people who watched/played the first game would feel. Hell, when you do their sidequests, the music changes making it seem like they did the most ominous thing.

Could also arguably put Eve in there as well.

11B as well, but as we know she was abusive jerk, but hey, LGBT people can also be abusive jerks. Still, having two with Emil and 6O is better than most games when it comes to positive/natural representation. People can beat both NieRs and not even know Emil is gay.

And there's also that Emil is probably the character who suffers the most in NieR, and it has nothing to do with his sexuality. He has many horrible things happen (and many good), and none are related to or caused by his homosexuality. He's gay but not defined by it. He suffers because he's a human in a fucked up world, not because he's gay.

Emil is great. Maybe my favorite character in the whole franchise.

Ferr986

Honestly I don't really agree with it because I don't think OG Pop and Dev did anything bad so I had no prejudices about them.

But yeah I agree I thought they were going to fight me in Automata lol

True Fire

The entire game is about gender identity. None of the androids or robots have a biological sex, but they've developed gender identities despite the machine network being an omniscient force. In fact, the machine network itself identifies as the Red Girls.

Honestly I don't really agree with it because I don't think OG Pop and Dev did anything bad so I had no prejudices about them.

But yeah I agree I thought they were going to fight me in Automata lol
Agreed. Half the point of Nier was that Nier was the one who fucked everything up. The only thing DevPop did wrong was let their compassion get in the way of their duty.

Vazra

The entire game is about gender identity. None of the androids or robots have a biological sex, but they've developed gender identities despite the machine network being an omniscient force. In fact, the machine network itself identifies as the Red Girls.
Oh the gender identity aspect I know quite a bit there but I wanted to get clear the LGBT part and I forgot 11B sidequest. I do wanna see how it gets all covered in a post on the thread because I dont even know where to begin with it. Maybe Im in a lazy mood or something but I know I cant do a proper write up at the moment.

Cyanity

Banned
There's such irony in a race of machine people fighting to preserve a species that doesn't even exist anymore in order to save...what, exactly? The humans' arguably most important trait is in their sapience, their ability to form social structures and argue philosophy, study science and form bonds of friendship and love. All of these things are present in android culture. They just don't understand what they actually possess and it's tragic.

Arkeband

Banned
There's such irony in a race of machine people fighting to preserve a species that doesn't even exist anymore in order to save...what, exactly? The humans' arguably most important trait is in their sapience, their ability to form social structures and argue philosophy, study science and form bonds of friendship and love. All of these things are present in android culture. They just don't understand what they actually possess and it's tragic.

That's pretty much the bottom line takeaway I had from this game. In exploring transhumanism and what makes a human human, from the viewpoint of a real human playing a game, the androids are basically human and the machines aren't far behind.

Gbraga

That's pretty much the bottom line takeaway I had from this game. In exploring transhumanism and what makes a human human, from the viewpoint of a real human playing a game, the androids are basically human and the machines aren't far behind.

Not just far behind, in a lot of aspects they're even more human.

Doing all of the sidequests in Route A makes it work as basically a series of studies on humanity, comparing it in ideal form and its sensible form. Machines are humanity as we really are, and "the humans on the moon" are the concept of humanity that androids worship, their God. Every time they talk about the contradictions the machines are making, like the one taking care of animals having no issues killing other animals, those are all things we do, constantly. But androids don't realize that, while machines have no issues living with it. It also naturally ties into what they were talking about that androids don't even realize how human they are.

LotusHD

Banned
Started a new playthrough today on Hard Mode, can't believe I'm diving back in already, I've never done this for a game in who knows how long

Vazra

Started a new playthrough today on Hard Mode, can't believe I'm diving back in already, I've never done this for a game in who knows how long

I got my second playthrough done and now just clearing sidequest and gathering shit for the upgrades.

How do you activate the damn golden rabbit. Beat the game for the second time and thought I might grind my levels for the dlc since I'm in ththe 50s. Spent about 5 minutes assaulting the thing and no movement.

Hektor

How do you activate the damn golden rabbit. Beat the game for the second time and thought I might grind my levels for the dlc since I'm in ththe 50s. Spent about 5 minutes assaulting the thing and no movement.

Try hacking and controlling one of the other bots and then try hacking the rabbit from there

Top Bottom