• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

I love this game to death, but I swear they waste some awesome fights on the character not built for fighting.

They really should have implemented some function like hold a direction button down to switch character. At least once you've beaten the main game and unlocked chapter select. 9s hacking is fun but doesn't feel half as good as playing as 2b or A2.

It kind of makes me reflect on how genius Yoko Taro was to really put me in the shoes of an E unit as finding out that 9S could have opened those god damned locked chests all along certainly made me want to kill him.

Squire

Banned
They really should have implemented some function like hold a direction button down to switch character. At least once you've beaten the main game and unlocked chapter select. 9s hacking is fun but doesn't feel half as good as playing as 2b or A2.

Yeah, for sure. He's good in his own way and on a narrative level I actually love that you're told at the beginning he isn't really meant to fight at all only for him to do this straight-up incredible shit forty hours later, but I got to that fight against the flight units in route C and I was like, "Why the fuck are they throwing the good shit at 9S and not A2?!"

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
No, i was glad to be 9s because fuck flying units. Especially drill worms. The one when pascal's village was being attacked was infuriating to fight.

Hack them to get that shit done faster.

Akainu

The worst is how inconsistent the hacking range is. And the lock on gets pretty annoying when trying to attack certain parts of the larger enemies.
No, i was glad to be 9s because fuck flying units. Especially drill worms. The one when pascal's village was being attacked was infuriating to fight.
Ugh. Who thought those were a good idea?

Squire

Banned
No, i was glad to be 9s because fuck flying units.

Hack them to get that shit done faster.

Honestly, you tear through most things in the game so quickly with 2B/A2 I liked fighting anything that could really take a hit from them.

Except that A2 desert boss. Fuck that.

Like a stubborn sucker, I actually beat two pairs of golden machines during Route A, one through lengthy button mashing, another by wedging the enemy into a piece of geometry and having the fire button on my pod taped down for 30 minutes. Why wasn't there a battle strategy dialogue for do the thing.

LeleSocho

Banned
Was i the only one who before finishing the game thought that despite what Adam and Eve said Project Gestalt was being transferred to the machine lifeforms and we were just doing a Nier1 redux by destroying them all?

Also never doubted that Dev and Pop were there to help 9S because whenever you talk to them you understand that they just want forgiveness and want to cleanse the name of their unit for what the Dev and Pop did in Nier1.

Sciel

I've finally managed to finish this yesterday and...don't really know how to feel about it. It certainly isn't my GOTY and woul probably give it a high 7/nearing an 8.

The story was good-ish although it was not really to my tastes (I also saw the whole humanity being long dead a mile away). I think i've read a poster saying that Nier 1's story was more much more 'emotional' and main cast more compelling and I'd have to agree with that. That said, I believe that there was an interview with a director that he wanted to write a different kind of story compared to Nier 1?

I've got to admit that they worked within their budget extremely well (and considering the time-frame they pulled it off in). In spite of the stories that are told through the sidequests, I did get very annoyed at the level of repetition and backtracking that was involved in the sidequests.

The things i disliked the most are probably the following:
-I'm not a fan of bullet hell(or whatever its supposed to be called) so i really really hated the hacking minigame. It just felt like a low budget option to pad on additional gameplay elements to the game. Also, the hacking tower near the end of the game with 9S was one of the few moments where I have really gotten pissed off over a videogame.

-I played this on the PC and....its been more than one month after release and there has been no patch whatsoever from SE to address the issues. Considering how well its sold (250,000+ on SteamDB), they really should bloody give it some attention.

Like a stubborn sucker, I actually beat two pairs of golden machines during Route A, one through lengthy button mashing, another by wedging the enemy into a piece of geometry and having the fire button on my pod taped down for 30 minutes. Why wasn't there a battle strategy dialogue for do the thing.

I had to since i paid the wandering couple and on route to finishing that quest, I couldn't react with the objective since the gold machines were in the area and I couldn't despawn them by reloading or changing area. Was the first time I got into the combat bracers.

basefree

I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to ask this question in the OT, considering I've beaten the game once, and have only just started my 2nd run through.

How much more narrative is there? So far I've seen the intro from 9S' perspective, and some additional cut scenes inserted in between story missions.

But asides from that, are there merely just more insights into the story, or does it really switch things up considerably?

Gbraga

I didn't mind 9S' limited melee combat options. Not only because it fits thematically, but the difficulty balancing is so off that it doesn't really make that much of a difference. There's a lot of combo potential and depth to the combat engine, but everything dies way too quickly, and you end up not doing things that differently.

Hacking was actually the only thing that was able to remain challenging throughout the game, so I appreciated that as well.

Things like being able to do air launchers or air round trips by making the game consider your character grounded after you attack are a blast, or self-destruct cancelling also gives a lot of combo potential to the game, but outside of debug mode, you'll never get a chance to actually do these things.

Still hoping for a patch that introduces a fixed scaling difficulty, with no leveling. That would be awesome.

I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to ask this question in the OT, considering I've beaten the game once, and have only just started my 2nd run through.

How much more narrative is there? So far I've seen the intro from 9S' perspective, and some additional cut scenes inserted in between story missions.

But asides from that, are there merely just more insights into the story, or does it really switch things up considerably?

There is A LOT more to it, you should probably leave this thread.

You probably didn't see half the story yet.

Let's just say you ain't seen nothin' yet.

I feel like the hacking minigame send to be a major dividing line for people.

Really enjoyed it myself.

I started appreciating it a lot more once I realised it provides some pretty good crowd control due to the explosion a successful hack causes.

I'm not sure if hard mode disables lock-on for hacking as well? Not sure how fun it would be without lock-on.

I thought hacking got repetitive while I was playing route B, but by the time I hit that point I also realized that 9S had a lot more options for melee than I was giving him credit for. At that point I stopping doing much hacking outside of highly evasive enemies.

9S might not have had the options that A2 and 2B did, but he could still juggle. He can also throw spears and gauntlets, which is way faster damage than hacking anyway.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Dude is kind of a deceitful little shit though, hah.

Though not everyone is clean in this world.

Except 6O and pascal. They're too pure for this world.

webrunner

I feel like the "Goliath" class was overused.. the tall dudes and the tanks are obviously a different class then the specialized giant units like Engels, *-Shi, etc.. particularly obvious that they dont have the little dome heads.

the tank should just be called a "Tank" and the large bipeds should be large bipeds. They're not that much bigger than a "medium" flyer (which also can have multiple head units) anyway.

Golnei

I know Nier did the same thing, but I kind of think that the final battle would have benefited from having its own dedicated music this time around. Sound of the End isn't necessarily unfitting in that role, but it's not used to great effect there compared to the other places it plays ingame.

It wouldn't even have had to be something totally new - another arrangement of Mourning in the style of Shadowlord's Castle would have been perfect.

Still hoping for a patch that introduces a fixed scaling difficulty, with no leveling. That would be awesome.

That would allow them to fix a lot of the game's balancing issues, but it seems like something that'd be too extensive for a patch. I'm hoping that they can manage to incorporate some sort of compromise like a boss rush that scales to your level through the DLC.

Gbraga

That would allow them to fix a lot of the game's balancing issues, but it seems like something that'd be too extensive for a patch. I'm hoping that they can manage to incorporate some sort of compromise like a boss rush that scales to your level through the DLC.

I'm more than fine with that, too!

The sidequests are often used to reflect hidden facets of 2B and 9S. In the Wandering Couple quest, the female android improves the male android's combat capabilities every time he's reset.

Is 2B responsible for 9S being so adept at melee combat? [thinkingemoji]

No, because she's caught off guard by his swording in The Memory Cage, but I thought it was a neat possibility.

Golnei

Technically, she is - wasn't killing her the primary reason 9S attempted to give himself combat capabilities in the first place?

EdmondD

He inherently has combat skills just way less than someone like 2B or A2. Just because he is a scanner doesnt mean he can't fight. It would be silly to send a unit into war who was lacking combat capability.

Squire

Banned
I'm hoping the DLC really scratches the combat itch.

It's great, but I definitely had my fill at a certain point.

Edit: Yeah, I'm not saying 9S can't do anything. He can fight and again, part of the story is how far he's pushed, so he really proves it. At his best though, he's still nowhere near as fun to play as the others.

He inherently has combat skills just way less than someone like 2B or A2. Just because he is a scanner doesnt mean he can't fight. It would be silly to send a unit into war who was lacking combat capability.

Sure. That he carries a sword at all is enough to communicate that.

I enjoyed them as well. However after a while I stopped really using his hacking outside of the mandatory ones. It just became to monotonous doing the same similar mini games over and over again for little payoff.

LotusHD

Banned
What if violence isn't okay without limitations and people are having that discussion in ongoing debates

Like, you say no one criticizes violence, but what was the last game where you murdered children?

giphy.gif
Damn you A2!

I thought hacking got somewhat tedious midway through Route B myself. My theory is that early in development Taro noticed the "hack" in "hack and slash" and started rubbing his hands in sadistic glee.

Yeah, for sure. He's good in his own way and on a narrative level I actually love that you're told at the beginning he isn't really meant to fight at all only for him to do this straight-up incredible shit forty hours later, but I got to that fight against the flight units in route C and I was like, "Why the fuck are they throwing the good shit at 9S and not A2?!"

That was my biggest annoyance after chapter select - I felt I had to always be 9S because inevitably I'd have to hack something and I couldn't do that as 2B/A2.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, so, as I understand it, Adam and Eve were the product of an emergent drive that developed within the machines to become more...alive, more than they were. And even after they died, the machine network then...remembered the pattern of consciousness, and became the entity driving the tower at the end? Or was the tower consciousness already around?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also endings A and B still confuse me. So after 9S ends up in the machine network he just...hops back out again into a new body in the Bunker?

Top Bottom