• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Hastati

Impressed that people finished in like 20 hours. My save was around 55 before it was obliterated.

Are those figures the first batch or has any other cool merch gone up for preorder?

11945:
August 6th: The "tower" launches an object into space.
September 2nd: Humanity's forces announce the end to the 14th machine war.
September 5th: --------
September 19th: ---------
11946:
January: Peaceful machine lifeforms led by Pascal sign a ceasefire with humanity's forces.
12422:
September 2nd: An android wearing black clothes is sighted.
12530:
"Nobles" appear amongst machine lifeforms.
12543:
Civil disturbance happens amongst machine lifeforms. Not counting individuals who've gone out of control, this is the first internal conflict amongst machine lifeforms.
Well at least this confirms that Pascal surviving is canon and he goes on to create another peaceful nation, at least for a while. My boy *sniff*.

I'm sure its been discussed, but according to Yoko Taro's questionnaire thing, Pascal leads the machine life forms to peace.

Does this means Pascal's teachings led to peace? Or does Pascal survive somehow?

I'm sure its been discussed, but according to Yoko Taro's questionnaire thing, Pascal leads the machine life forms to peace.

Does this means Pascal's teachings led to peace? Or does Pascal survive somehow?

The translations of that timeline are ambiguous as to whether it's saying Pascal was leading them when the ceasefire was signed, or just that Pascal at some point led the group that ended up signing the ceasefire.

The ambiguity is probably intentional, too.

cj_iwakura

Something I'm curious about...

So the Popola and Devola in this, they're not the ones from Papa Nier's town? They were in another village somewhere? Trippy.

The best plot twist was how nonchalantly the aliens were taken out, I loved it. Something people were speculating about since Grimoire Nier and poof, nothing.

LotusHD

Banned
Something I'm curious about...

So the Popola and Devola in this, they're not the ones from Papa Nier's town? They were in another village somewhere? Trippy.

The best plot twist was how nonchalantly the aliens were taken out, I loved it. Something people were speculating about since Grimoire Nier and poof, nothing.

Yea, they're not the same.

sungahymn

Neo Member
I was both surprised and elated that the aliens were revealed to be dead. From a storytelling perspective, the most interesting thing about the world were the dynamics between the androids and the machines. Removing the two other factions from active participation in the plot--the humans and the aliens--streamlines and highlights the themes embodied by the main characters.

cj_iwakura

Why can't 9S remove the virus from Operator 210 during that fight? Or anyone really?

Also, does anyone know what the Angelic script at the end of the game's teaser opening says?

Also also, why did Pascal's villagers go nuts?

Hylian7

Why can't 9S remove the virus from Operator 210 during that fight? Or anyone really?

Also, does anyone know what the Angelic script at the end of the game's teaser opening says?

Also also, why did Pascal's villagers go nuts?
1. They had already completely lost control unlike 2B, and were likely to the point where they wouldn't hold still and not attack 9S while he hacked them. It's either that, or just 9S's dedication to 2B.

2. I don't remember, would have to see it again.

3. The virus got to them, the same thing that made some machines in the amusement park act like zombies. You could see some of them around, where all the rest of the machines there we peaceful like the ones in Pascal's village.

Joeku

So second time playing the game, nearing the end on PC, and I wanna just cheese the save deletion stuff to watch the end again before going back and playing around with sidequests.

To that end, can I literally just copy my save elsewhere after finishing either C or D, then play through the end, delete it all, and then just paste it back in the save folder? Or did they program in anything on PC to stop that fuckery?

So second time playing the game, nearing the end on PC, and I wanna just cheese the save deletion stuff to watch the end again before going back and playing around with sidequests.

To that end, can I literally just copy my save elsewhere after finishing either C or D, then play through the end, delete it all, and then just paste it back in the save folder? Or did they program in anything on PC to stop that fuckery?

Should be no reason why save backups wouldn't work...

But, I mean, you can just choose to not delete your save.

Joeku

Should be no reason why save backups wouldn't work...

But, I mean, you can just choose to not delete your save.

Like, I could choose to not delete my save.

I will not, though.

Edit: Only reason I'm even comfortable cheesing the whole thing is because I played through and deleted my data before.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

In Route C if you talk to Anemone as A2 she will point you to terminal that will tell the story of how Anemone and A2 first met. One of A2's squad No.21 was scanner type like 9S, when one of the Anemone friend Lilly got infected with logic virus No. 21 was able to remove it but once herself got infected she couldn't remove it because the logic virus evolved.

Joeku

So, I did C, D, and E all over again, and was wrecked all over again.

Don't have anything else to add, besides the save cheesing working.

Crayon

So lately, I've been thinking of A2 as the tinman, 9S as the scarecrow, and 2B as the Cowardly lion.

I don't necessarily think that was intentional, but I've thought about it a few times. I can't think of any allegorical connection to wizard of Oz but the weaknesses of the three heroes seem to fit.

Golnei

So lately, I've been thinking of A2 as the tinman, 9S as the scarecrow, and 2B as the Cowardly lion.

I don't necessarily think that was intentional, but I've thought about it a few times. I can't think of any allegorical connection to wizard of Oz but the weaknesses of the three heroes seem to fit.

Wouldn't the "wizard"
be the lie of humanity's survival - pinning it down to a character, Zinnia?

wesStyle

Hey!
My Automata lore wiki page on /r/nier has been transformed into a new website which is meant to be one-stop for anyone looking to dig into extensive NieR Automata lore and its supplemental materials:
TheArk.wiki

OniBaka

That feeling when you finally managed to convince your friend to play it, unfortunately they didn't have internet when they did ending E.

After 3-4 tries they gave up, kinds of upsets me they didn't get to experience how special ending E ends up being. When I told them they were fighting god to get their happy ending they were shocked.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That feeling when you finally managed to convince your friend to play it, unfortunately they didn't have internet when they did ending E.

After 3-4 tries they gave up, kinds of upsets me they didn't get to experience how special ending E ends up being. When I told them they were fighting god to get their happy ending they were shocked.

Entire ending E was something special. I played the game 4 times that part still make me emotional even on 4th time.

Veedot

Just beat ending A-E after doing A-D in the original. While i really enjoyed the first one i was spoiled on some of the bigger moments a lonnggg time ago so the impact of ending D didnt hit as hard. But Automata has destroyed me,like the only other 2 games to hurt me like this was Persona 3 and Undertale.

Only thing messed my playthrough up is my friend who played about 2 to 3 hours ahead of me. He didnt outright spoil anything but he was always like "Where are you at? Oh cool the next part is really really cool" or "I cant wait til you see what adam says to 9S its what were all thinking!",it was pretty annoying. The only thing he just outright spoiled was how the the online function worked to get ending E. He just has the mindset that if its not a story spoiler its not a big deal.

Besides that personal gripe this is easily my GOTY by far and drowned out P5 and BOTW(Though I still enjoyed both)

LotusHD

Banned
Just beat ending A-E after doing A-D in the original. While i really enjoyed the first one i was spoiled on some of the bigger moments a lonnggg time ago so the impact of ending D didnt hit as hard. But Automata has destroyed me,like the only other 2 games to hurt me like this was Persona 3 and Undertale.

Only thing messed my playthrough up is my friend who played about 2 to 3 hours ahead of me. He didnt outright spoil anything but he was always like "Where are you at? Oh cool the next part is really really cool" or "I cant wait til you see what adam says to 9S its what were all thinking!",it was pretty annoying. The only thing he just outright spoiled was how the the online function worked to get ending E. He just has the mindset that if its not a story spoiler its not a big deal.

Besides that personal gripe this is easily my GOTY by far and drowned out P5 and BOTW(Though I still enjoyed both)

Ugh, friends like that are the worst, just keep your hype to yourself lol

Glad you loved it though.

OniBaka

Ugh, friends like that are the worst, just keep your hype to yourself lol

Glad you loved it though.
I don't do it to that extent but sometimes I do it to keep them interested in a game. As you saw my friend missed out on ending e. Sucks having friends that don't have same game taste, at least I have gaf.

LotusHD

Banned
I don't do it to that extent but sometimes I do it to keep them interested in a game. As you saw my friend missed out on ending e. Sucks having friends that don't have same game taste, at least I have gaf.

I mean, it's not a hard rule, if you see them losing interest or whatever I guess. But if you're like this friend, where you just have to be not-so-subtle at every little thing, it gets tiring real fast.

Be like me, where you lie about plot twists so they'll fall for it easier. ;D

Is your name Ken? I might be friend

Edit: nvm, I'm not replaying currently

Veedot

Im starting to get really angry seeing peoples reactions to ending E because my friend robbed me of it those emotions. I honestly think the way you get the ending is way more sentimental then the ending itself. My friend I guess thought as long as he didn't tell me what happened in the ending its not a spoiler.

Like the messages from the players and the chorus kicking in I felt nothing because my friend described the whole scene to me before I actually unlocked it. Even though him accidentally deleting his file is pretty funny, he got a super emotional moment I will never have.

Im starting to get really angry seeing peoples reactions to ending E because my friend robbed me of it those emotions. I honestly think the way you get the ending is way more sentimental then the ending itself. My friend I guess thought as long as he didn't tell me what happened in the ending its not a spoiler.

Like the messages from the players and the chorus kicking in I felt nothing because my friend described the whole scene to me before I actually unlocked it. Even though him accidentally deleting his file is pretty funny, he got a super emotional moment I will never have.

I'm gonna kick your friend's ass

Veedot

I'm gonna kick your friend's ass
I talked about with him explaining my above post to him and now he feels really bad. He says he took the moment for granted and reflecting on it made him realize how special it was and now he feels bad that he took it from me. Hes still a good friend overall and im not gonna hold a grudge over a game, I just wanted him to understand my feelings.

That being said I still adore this game and listening to the soundtrack physically hurts me now.

Kraq

Finished the game and a great time. There were only three things I'm iffy on: the small world map which led to reusing the same areas over the over, Route C feeling repetitive at times and occasionally textures at a distance looking like something out of the PS2 era. However, the gameplay, story, music and character design were all solid so they didn't substantially subtract from my overall fantastic experience of the game. It's clear that this game was made on a small budget and what they came out with is stunning.

I have some questions regarding the plot though:

Firstly, why do the androids want perpetual war? I get it from the machines perspective – they want to keep fighting the androids constantly to help themselves grow stronger – but that doesn't explain why the androids want to do the same. If the machines are wiped out, then the humans would want to return to Earth, which can't obviously happen. Knowing that the humans are extinct would demoralise the androids in their fight against the machines, I get that. But if the machines have all been defeated, then who cares if the androids are demoralised? Would they all commit suicide? Why can't they just build their own android civilisation?

Secondly, do we know which androids are creating this never-ending cycle? Are they the ones who are camping it out on the Moon? Is this probably going to be addressed to in the next Nier game?

Finally, Ending D tells us that Adam (and also Eve?) are still alive. If that's the case, why was Eve going berserk over Adam's death earlier in the game? Surely he should have known that Adam was still floating around in machine-space somewhere.

Overall, great game. Yoko Taro is definitely on my list of game directors out there to keep an eye on now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Firstly, why do the androids want perpetual war? I get it from the machines perspective – they want to keep fighting the androids constantly to help themselves stronger – but that doesn't explain why the androids want to do the same. If the machines are wiped out, then the humans would want to return to Earth, which can't obviously happen. Knowing that the humans are extinct would demoralise the androids in their fight against the machines, I get that. But if the machines have all been defeated, then who cares if the androids are demoralised? Would they all commit suicide? Why can't they just build their own android civilisation?

I mean, perpetual kinda means that it goes on forever. :p The whole reason why the Yorha plan initiated and the bunker got destroyed was because the androids started to get the advantage. Both factions want a perpetual stalemate. That way, the machines always have an enemy to defeat, and the androids always have an enemy to defend humanity against.

I think it explicitly states that the androids would not last long if they lose the only purpose they know of. I guess in a way they don't trust themselves to break out of their programming. I mean one of the themes really is finding a meaning to live for.

Secondly, do we know which androids are creating this never-ending cycle? Are they the ones who are camping it out on the Moon? Is this probably going to be addressed to in the next Nier game?

It's actually kinda addressed in a side novel. There was an android scientist that came up with the moon server plan in order to convince the rest of the androids that humanity is alive with the Yorha androids pretending to be the intermediary between humanity and the earth androids, but the actual "Yorha plan" was created by no. 9, who was the prototype to 9S, who created the backdoor so that the machines could destroy Yorha anytime, thus cutting out the middleman, and making it impossible to disprove the lie of humanity's existence on the moon.

Finally, Ending D tells us that Adam (and also Eve?) are still alive. If that's the case, why was Eve going berserk over Adam's death earlier in the game? Surely he should have known that Adam was still floating around in machine-space somewhere.

Overall, great game. Yoko Taro is definitely on my list of game directors out there to keep on eye on now.

Eh, it's hard to tell if that's really them or just the machine's recreation of them. The game already likes to play on the concepts of what defines existence.

Kraq

I mean, perpetual kinda means that it goes on forever. :p The whole reason why the Yorha plan initiated and the bunker got destroyed was because the androids started to get the advantage. Both factions want a perpetual stalemate. That way, the machines always have an enemy to defeat, and the androids always have an enemy to defend humanity against.

I think it explicitly states that the androids would not last long if they lose the only purpose they know of. I guess in a way they don't trust themselves to break out of their programming. I mean one of the themes really is finding a meaning to live for.

Got it. I wish they'd have addressed this a bit more clearly though, or maybe even pointed out how 9S didn't really seem to care too much about humanity's extinction. Not too long after, he just seemed to be fighting on to save 2B, whether out of love or hate. The fact that 2B was what he was fighting for by the end shows that there was something more than just humanity's cause for the androids to live for, which gives a whole sense of tragedy about the situation really. At least the main playable trio all survived at the end.

It's actually kinda addressed in a side novel. There was an android scientist that came up with the moon server plan in order to convince the rest of the androids that humanity is alive with the Yorha androids pretending to be the intermediary between humanity and the earth androids, but the actual "Yorha plan" was created by no. 9, who was the prototype to 9S, who created the backdoor so that the machines could destroy Yorha anytime, thus cutting out the middleman, and making it impossible to disprove the lie of humanity's existence on the moon.

So I'm going to assume the original creators of the plan are all dead at this point? This cycle seems to have gone on forever, with Yorha only the latest iteration, which actually leads me to another question. Who was supposed to take over in the event of Yorha being wiped out? Is there another group of androids out there waiting to be activated/built? Surely the Bunker Commander could not have been the top dog on the android's side. There must be someone else out there to make sure the androids are always gonna be there to fight the machines. I feel like I'm asking the questions that would be addressed in the sequel at this point lol.

Top Bottom