• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That and further exploring concepts and ideas. Problem is that most individual machines are too stupid to develop themselves so they continue to loop their actions, regardless of results. One of the reports mentioned how if a group of machines establish a dictatorship and it fails, they usually try it again. Another example is the machine at the start of route B that was trying to revive its dead brother. No matter how many times it brought oil and failed to revive him it kept trying it.

Except they totally succeeded lol.

Remember the machines with the buckets in one of the resource towers?

Antiwhippy

I do find it interesting how the game constantly builds smaller narratives to supplement the bigger themes. Like the bucket + brother could be seen as another way of how machines slowly and repeatedly build up their own empathy/emotions/etc.

You even see him carrying the bucket during the title screen of route C.

Another thought, where do the pods come in? They're basically robots right? But they're helping Androids? But they also seem to be the ones in ending E that are rebuilding the simulation over again?

Antiwhippy

Another thought, where do the pods come in? They're basically robots right? But they're helping Androids? But they also seem to be the ones in ending E that are rebuilding the simulation over again?

They are meant to help the yorha units, but then you can see at the end it's revealed that they are actually more meant to observe them to execute project yorha. Which involves deleting everything once all yorha units are destroyed, eliminating any trace of the plan, thus finalising the deception.

But this would involve erasing the existence of 9S, 2B and A2, and 042 is too much of a bro to let that happen, and thus broke out of his programming.

It's why you see the skits of him and 153 about him growing increasingly concerned for the androids.

They are meant to help the yorha units, but then you can see at the end it's revealed that they are actually more meant to observe them to execute project yorha. Which involves deleting everything once all yorha units are destroyed, eliminating any trace of the plan, thus finalising the deception.

But this would involve erasing the existence of 9S, 2B and A2, and 042 is too much of a bro to let that happen, and thus broke out of his programming.

It's why you see the skits of him and 153 about him growing increasingly concerned for the androids.

Right, right, I think I got that part, but they are also robots right? I guess they aren't connected to the network ever, so they are safe, but they also avoid the viruses as well right? And seem nearly indestructible?

NEO0MJ

tumblr_on1ikjfEdT1r5dsdto1_500.jpg

Though 153 was no slacker, either.

Antiwhippy

That part is super nebulous to me lol. I think the virus kinda just works to whatever the plot needed, but yeah, it seems like they were considered to not have enough of a consciousness to be affected? I dunno. I think it's more that the plot requires them to be observers in a way.

The final bits do indicate that they were meant to be more basic also, but grew out of that in the end by observing their creators, the androids. Like how androids can't help but imitate humans.

I think they are connected to the network. The final sequence is basically you attacking the network's security system or something.

Baalzebup

Considering the general nature of viruses needing a compatible system to work on, you can just wave away the Pods immunity to the virus as operating under a completely different OS for which the virus hasn't been modified.

Been out of the loop for a while with the lore (I was following it when I beat the game in February), but has any light been shed on the aliens?

Did they have a specific motive for invading Earth? Or will they be forever enigmatic?

Hylian7

Been out of the loop for a while with the lore (I was following it when I beat the game in February), but has any light been shed on the aliens?

Did they have a specific motive for invading Earth? Or will they be forever enigmatic?
I think really it's just to the point where it doesn't matter as far as the game goes. I would file it among the "How did not one single human survive and hide out somewhere?" mystery.

The point was that the machines killed their creators so they could continue to have a purpose.

I think really it's just to the point where it doesn't matter as far as the game goes. I would file it among the "How did not one single human survive and hide out somewhere?" mystery.

The point was that the machines killed their creators so they could continue to have a purpose.
Well, we know why the humans/shades are gone -- hiding wouldn't have stopped anything.

Dmax3901

One of the last things about this game lingering in my mind: the way the women are dressed. Now I don't wanna start a whole heated argument like the ones I got involved in when 2B was first shown off etc, but as far as I could tell there was no in-world reason for the way a lot of the female androids dressed in this game.

I think 2B is fine but A2, while looking badass, did make me think "but why". It takes me out of the game to an extent (cause I'm thinking about who designed such a perfect butt, and who they designed it for), and I know people say "that's just who Yoko Taro is and if someone wants to have a game with sexy women they're free to do so" and to that I say ... sure... but that doesn't mean it isn't problematic, right? Just for some added info, my gf was fine with 2B but when she walked passed when I was playing as A2 she was like "that's just silly". I agreed but also tried to explain how it's not quite as bad as some other Japanese designs etc, and that the script doesn't objectify anyone and that Yoko himself seems fairly progressive... but it's a hard position to hold when she hadn't spent 30+ hours with the game lol.

One thing that took me til near the end of Route C to realise is, apart from how she actually looks, A2 (or 2B) is never sexualised like the women of a game such as the Witcher are. In the Witcher the implied threat of rape of any woman alone in that world is ever present, and as Ciri you're called a whore etc. No-one in Nier, male or otherwise, behaves in a sexually threatening manner toward any female character (that I can remember) or treats her like dirt in an objectifying way. Is this how you get away with it? Is it alright to ogle if the world/script treats women with respect? I love the Witcher but it is kinda mixed with characters saying "fuck you whore!" but then also having lots of female nudity in sex scenes and brothels etc.

The other thing is that, regardless of Yoko Taro's reasons or in-world reasons, this representation of a scantily-clad woman is still just adding to the existing pile and to a young person playing this, it still has the potential for harm. A male teenager sees it and goes on thinking that's how women should dress to be 'hot', a female teenager sees its and feels pressure to dress that way to be attractive. Just examples I'm not saying this is what happens any time there's a sexy woman in a game.

Anyway just my thoughts.

** Made some edits for clarity.

So when I say you're wrong I mean that it's the machines perpetuating this cycle, not the androids.

It's both. The endgame reveal is basically that the machines and the androids each independently have a cabal of leaders who make the war unwinnable by their own side in order to achieve their own goals for society. The androids do it via iterative projects to develop special war androids that get sabotaged when they get too effective, the machines do it by letting some portion of machines gain self-identity and slip off the network.

Right, right, I think I got that part, but they are also robots right? I guess they aren't connected to the network ever, so they are safe, but they also avoid the viruses as well right? And seem nearly indestructible?

The pods are human AI technology, so much more akin to the non-YorHa androids on the street. To be a machine lifeform you have to have a machine core, which no human tech besides the YorHa androids does.

Did they have a specific motive for invading Earth?

It was to fulfill the prophecy from the joke ending hinted at in the Nier artbook and audio CDs, basically.

LotusHD

Banned
One of the last things about this game lingering in my mind: the way the women are dressed. Now I don't wanna start a whole heated argument like the ones I got involved in when 2B was first shown off etc, but as far as I could tell there was no in-world reason for the way a lot of the female androids dressed in this game.

I think 2B is fine but A2, while looking badass, did make me think "but why". It takes me out of the game to an extent (cause I'm thinking about who designed such a perfect butt, and who they designed it for), and I know people say "that's just who Yoko Taro is and if someone wants to have a game with sexy women they're free to do so" and to that I say ... sure... but that doesn't mean it isn't problematic, right? Just for some added info, my gf was fine with 2B but when she walked passed when I was playing as A2 she was like "that's just silly". I agreed but also tried to explain how it's not quite as bad as some other Japanese designs etc, but it's a hard position to hold when one person hasn't spent 30+ hours with the game lol.

One thing that took me til near the end of Route C to realise is, apart from how she actually looks, A2 (or 2B) is never sexualised like the women of a game such as the Witcher are. In the Witcher the implied threat of rape of any woman alone in that world is ever present, and as Ciri you're called a whore etc. No-one, male or otherwise, behaves in a threatening manner toward any female character (that I can remember) or treats her like dirt in an objectifying way. Is this how you get away with it? Is it alright to ogle if the world/script treats women with respect? I love the Witcher but it is kinda mixed with characters saying "fuck you whore!" and also having lots of female nudity in sex scenes and brothels etc.

Anyway just my thoughts.

Yea I always found it amusing that 2B got the majority of the scrutiny, while no one paid much attention to A2. (Even more ironic since 2B dies...) But yea, it is what it is.

I stand by what I've been saying whenever the topic gets brought up, in that I ultimately feel that 2B's design is ultimately acceptable, albeit perhaps being right on the edge of being "not fine". It's just classy and alluring enough that I consider it to stand out in a good way, as opposed to other designs where the implied sex appeal comes off as being a lot more gaudy. That said, it's not really a hill to die on, so I just don't bother these days since the early threads where it got brought up, especially if it feels like it's about to get heated, as there is some aspects to it that admittedly could obviously be criticized, like her having heels for instance, or the game allowing you to blow up their skirts (9S being included in this doesn't really make it that much more appropriate, though it is funny.)

A2 even moreso is obviously not a hill to die on. Like, at all. There's definitely a more tasteful way that they could've gone about having her skin be peeled off, or her attire in tatters due to her being a fugitive. Instead as we all know, they did it in a way that is clearly meant to titillate.

But like you said, while stuff like that is problematic, it's kind of odd, in that the game virtually does little to nothing to sort of, I dunno, completely go along with the designs and objectify them, at least where dialogue and camera angles are concerned. Like aside from the self-destruct (which is completely unnecessary to the point where several people didn't even know about it, and can even be later disabled so that their clothing does not come off) I don't recall anything. That's just simply the aesthetic of the YoRHa androids, and nothing more. A2 being in tatters is just completely played straight as well. And then on top of that, Yoko Taro freely and bluntly admits that he wanted attractive character designs, an doesn't do any BS where he dances around the subject and acts as if the game's universe is about to give you a justification for the way they're (namely 2B and co., but not A2) dressed. There is some symbolism involved regarding parts of their attire, but even that is never directly brought up within the game. Basically, he just thought it looked good if I recall correctly. At best you have the trophy where you're given it if you attempt to peek under 2B's skirt 10 times, but I saw that as it being a cheeky way of being fully aware that people would attempt to do so.

So with all that in mind, I guess it has me feeling like there are bigger fish to fry, so to speak. But at the same time, it's kind of weird that Taro actually doesn't play much into these kind of things. Because then, one could simply ask why he couldn't have made it so that A2's design wasn't so blatantly revealing. Her design and being able to explode your skirt off is the only things that really gnaw at me.

The other thing is that, regardless of Yoko Taro's reasons or in-world reasons, this representation of a scantily-clad woman is still just adding to the existing pile and to a young person playing this, it still has the potential for harm. A male teenager sees it and goes on thinking that's how women should dress to be 'hot', a female teenager sees its and feels pressure to dress that way to be attractive. Just examples I'm not saying this is what happens any time there's a sexy woman in a game.

I agree that A2's design at the very least isn't helping anything. 2B on the other hand, is a bit harder to gauge. Her design seems rather popular to both genders, even to the point where people like to cosplay as it apparently. (Cosplay material doesn't handwave concerns completely, but I guess it's interesting to take note of it nonetheless) Your GF as you noted, was also fine with it. In the end I guess it's always gonna be a divisive subject. Like I said, I feel that her design is borderline "acceptable".

As for teenagers, I mean, these androids in particular are weird examples to use, namely regarding female teenagers. For guys, yea, I can see it potentially enforcing a mindset where they desire designs that show less and less skin I suppose. Girls on the other hand, I mean, I feel like they're highly likely to side-eye a design like A2's, because it's not much different from a lot of questionable female character designs, but feel pressure to dress like that? Eh, I dunno.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Just finished the game! GOTY for me so far :) A couple of quick questions:

Was 9S "in love" with 2B? There's a point in the game where he begans to show signs of an affection deeper than just camaraderie or even friendship, but then things get so out of hand and he begins to descend further and further into madness that I don't know whether he was so bent on killing everything because of his love or his madness/infection.

Why did Operator 21O started treating 9S as a child in Route C? She had been giving him a cold shoulder all through Route B. He even hinted at flirting with her, and she cut him off immediately every time. If anything, she would have had to treated him with more respect, since it was he and 2B who killed Adam and Eve...

Did A2 know about the YorHa deception? Is that why she left?

How did 2B, 9S and A2 "survive" after Ending E, exactly? I don't fully understand 1. where their "memories" (I assume that's a backup of their personality) was stored exactly and 2. how they are supposed to be "revived", since there are no spare bodies for them to be put in.

... was 9S the hero of the story all along?

hayejin

I'm still.confused about E ending. Did bullet hell credit and died and continued and kept seeing messages from other players. And just kept dying and continued and finally gave up and got game over.

What was I supposed to do to get help from other players?

Mailbox

Was 9S "in love" with 2B? There's a point in the game where he begans to show signs of an affection deeper than just camaraderie or even friendship, but then things get so out of hand and he begins to descend further and further into madness that I don't know whether he was so bent on killing everything because of his love or his madness/infection.

Why did Operator 21O started treating 9S as a child in Route C? She had been giving him a cold shoulder all through Route B. He even hinted at flirting with her, and she cut him off immediately every time. If anything, she would have had to treated him with more respect, since it was he and 2B who killed Adam and Eve...

How did 2B, 9S and A2 "survive" after Ending E, exactly? I don't fully understand 1. where their "memories" (I assume that's a backup of their personality) was stored exactly and 2. how they are supposed to be "revived", since there are no spare bodies for them to be put in.

1: Yes. There is a super thin line between love and hate and 9S straddles the line (its heavily implied that he remembers some of the prior deaths).

2: That has to do with 21O's sidequest. she learns about "family" and desires to have one as well. She treats 9S like a child because she basically wants him to be her kid, i guess.

3: A2 knew. Sorta, the reasons why she left are more about being "betrayed" rather than just about knowing.

4: Its about the Pods. They are meant to delete all information relating to anything. the memories are still in the shells i guess, so instead of just shutting down everything, the pods put the 3 back together. 2B's memories are in the sword. Basically the pods just fix up the bodies through scraps, and probably use one of those many 2B clones from the tower.

I'm still.confused about E ending. Did bullet hell credit and died and continued and kept seeing messages from other players. And just kept dying and continued and finally gave up and got game over.

keep dying. You have to be online, just a hint.
(after a few deaths after the halfway point you should get a message)

LotusHD

Banned

It was both!

He loves her, but at the same time, their twisted relationship has him having some very pent-up aggression towards her.

We initially thought this meant "fuck", but after the Route C reveal, as well as A2 stating that 9S knew all along, it's far more likely that that **** is "kill". Then other examples like how he passionately killed the 2B clones, or the 2B tampering with his memories.

He... has some stuff to work out.

There's a sidequest that gives the context for this: - (Operator 21O) Data Analysis Freak -> Data Analysis Freak 2 (Route B)

Basically Operator 21O at some point wanted a family of her own after learning about them. She saw it as a way to keep 9S safe as well, if I recall correctly: https://youtu.be/inzMC06GgVA?t=12m4s

Correct.

Basically what Mailbox said

I def. would not call him a hero, but he does essentially become the main protagonist if we go off of all the screentime the dude ended up getting in comparison to 2B and A2.

You keep dying, they'll eventually ask if you wanna give up or w/e, you keep saying no, then players from around the world will come to their aid, assisting you in clearing this bullet hell section.

Dmax3901

And then on top of that, Yoko Taro freely and bluntly admits that he wanted attractive character designs, an doesn't do any BS where he dances around the subject and acts as if the game's universe is about to give you a justification for the way they're (namely 2B and co., but not A2) dressed. There is some symbolism involved regarding parts of their attire, but even that is never directly brought up within the game. Basically, he just thought it looked good if I recall correctly.

Yeah I definitely prefer that over photosynthesis or example, lol.

I agree that A2's design at the very least isn't helping anything. 2B on the other hand, is a bit harder to gauge. Her design seems rather popular to both genders, even to the point where people like to cosplay as it apparently. (Cosplay material doesn't handwave concerns completely, but I guess it's interesting to take note of it nonetheless) Your GF as you noted, was also fine with it. In the end I guess it's always gonna be a divisive subject. Like I said, I feel that her design is borderline "acceptable".

Oh yeah I am mainly talking about A2.

As for teenagers, I mean, these androids in particular are weird examples to use, namely regarding female teenagers. For guys, yea, I can see it potentially enforcing a mindset where they desire designs that show less and less skin I suppose. Girls on the other hand, I mean, I feel like they're highly likely to side-eye a design like A2's, because it's not much different from a lot of questionable female character designs, but feel pressure to dress like that? Eh, I dunno.

Not so much about the way they dress but their flawless bodies. Being body conscious is not unique to young women of course but it's fair to say there's more pressure there.

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah I definitely prefer that over photosynthesis or example, lol.

Lmao, I wish I was active on here when that whole thing happened.

Not so much about the way they dress but their flawless bodies. Being body conscious is not unique to young women of course but it's fair to say there's more pressure there.

Ah okay, yea, that's always a possibility, even if they are androids.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Oh, yeah. Now that you mentioned it, I did do the 21O sidequests. I just didn't even consider it when she started talking to 2B as a child. Does that kind of interaction also happen if you skip the sidequest?

Regarding 2B killing 9S... were expected to think that the beginning of the game, at the factory, wasn't the first time they met, and that she had killed him an unspecified number of times before, right? If so... why? Why did YorHa keep pairing her with him? And how did they prevent him from remembering those "deaths", if syncing with the server was mandatory?

I guess I'll be having a lot of questions in the next few days...

LotusHD

Banned
Oh, yeah. Now that you mentioned it, I did do the 21O sidequests. I just didn't even consider it when she started talking to 2B as a child. Does that kind of interaction also happen if you skip the sidequest?

It still happens, Operator 21O just comes off as being weird if you don't do it lol

Regarding 2B killing 9S... were expected to think that the beginning of the game, at the factory, wasn't the first time they met, and that she had killed him an unspecified number of times before, right? If so... why? Why did YorHa keep pairing her with him? And how did they prevent him from remembering those "deaths", if syncing with the server was mandatory?

They paired her up with him because she asked to be. From her point of view, if she doesn't do it, then someone else will. So it might as well be her, as she does her best to make sure he never finds out shit he isn't supposed to know. If I recall correctly, they also made it so that 9S would have an affinity for her, so yea.

As for him not remembering, they wipe his memory. Though the game hints every now and then that it is still deeply wedged into his subconscious.

Antiwhippy

Not to say that it really has to go much deeper than taro just wanting good looking characters in his game really because that's probably just it lol, but i think the designs do add quite a bit to the narrative. We see these beautiful beings who are the idealised image of ourselves, and then we look at the simple machines who look like very cute but basic robots, and i actually do think that it is a way to create attraction bias, to make us think that the androids are somehow more inherently human than the machines.

Only to find out in the end, everything really is only skin deep.

Joeku

I guess I'll be having a lot of questions in the next few days...

2B was an "Executioner" unit, meaning she was programmed with the capability to just off other androids, but she obviously wasn't a fan. So her and 9S worked well together to get shit done, but 9S would always slowly find out and she would always eventually kill him.

9S would get reformatted back to a state before he really knew 2B over and over, but the times she murdered him would keep drifting back into him, suggesting some greater consciousness beyond the formatting. I think in a novella or something set before the game he straight up attacks her in the desert when flashes of a past life come to him.

However, despite all of this, there are suggestions that at some points they are both sort of aware of everything and lying to themselves about it just to better go along day by day; her pretending she doesn't know him all too well (probably named him "Nines"), and he pretending he hasn't been killed by her after discovering what YoRHa was really about time and again.

Thus you begin to see how he lost his damn mind in route C.

Edit: Someone more familiar with the game correct me if I got any of this wrong.

Mailbox

I can understand this, but I do think that wrt 2B and A2, the theming outweighs a lot of those concerns for me.

Its pretty obvious that the YoRHa units are supposed to be sort of "gothic angels" and everything that entails. "Perfect looking, fancy cloths, saviors coming from the sky" are pretty much just there to further the agenda of what is basically a religion of "humanity".

A2's outfit definitely took me some time to get used to, but I realized that she is basically meant to symbolize a fallen angel of sorts. She basically wears a nightgown (which can also be a bit of a nod to Kaine, but whatevs) which i basically took to basically symbolize how her ties to YoRHa/ her previous "divinity" is on a thin lowest layer.

Idk, maybe thats just how I saw it lol.

PK Gaming

Yea I always found it amusing that 2B got the majority of the scrutiny, while no one paid much attention to A2. (Even more ironic since 2B dies...) But yea, it is what it is.

It's because she's the face of the game and people don't really know about A2 (or rather, the fact that you eventually play as her).

A2 even moreso is obviously not a hill to die on. Like, at all. There's definitely a more tasteful way that they could've gone about having her skin be peeled off, or her attire in tatters due to her being a fugitive. Instead as we all know, they did it in a way that is clearly meant to titillate.

Yeah, her design is unambiguously supposed to titillate people (like 2B/9S, but more overt), but I don't think it's inherently bad thing, not when her design brings so much to the table (it's a pretty good example of visual storytelling, she contrasts with 2B's clean design and she looks this damn good). If I had to put it another way, I never cringed when playing as A2, in the same i'd cringe playing as... the main character from Code Princess.

Not to say that it really has to go much deeper than taro just wanting good looking characters in his game really because that's probably just it lol, but i think the designs do add quite a bit too the inherent narrative. We see these beautiful beings who are the idealised image of ourselves, and then we look at the simple machines who look like very cute but basic robots, and i actually do think that it is a way to create attraction bias, to make us think that the androids are somehow more inherently human than the machines.

Only to find out in the end, everything really is only skin deep.

Fucking preach

It makes the whiplash from the reveal hit all the more harder.

Absolutely not, haha. 9S represents humanity. He comes across as kind and well informed, but is ignorant and prejudice even before he goes insane. He never makes an attempt to truly understand machines.

So is the gist of it this (feel free to knock me if I totally missed the point):

-Aliens came to Earth and created robots to take over, Humans fled
-Humans created Androids to fight back
-Humans went extinct partially through not winning the fight / time passing & partially through the red twins malfunctioning and killing them
-Robots also eventually turned on their Alien masters and killed them
-So now the Robots & Androids are taking part in a never-ending proxy fight based on their original orders that is driven partially by them self-motivating / hiding the truth because if they didn't, they would question their existence / purpose and get wiped out

I think you should watch a Nier 1 video or two. But that is pretty much mostly wrong :x

LotusHD

Banned
It's because she's the face of the game and people don't really know about A2 (or rather, the fact that you eventually play as her).

I know, but at the same time, just though it'd get brought up more.

Yeah, her design is unambiguously supposed to titillate people (like 2B/9S, but more overt), but I don't think it's inherently bad thing, not when her design brings so much to the table (it's a pretty good example of visual storytelling, she contrasts with 2B's clean design and she looks this damn good). If I had to put it another way, I never cringed when playing as A2, in the same i'd cringe playing as... the main character from Code Princess.

I actually didn't cringe either. Probably helped that were was literally no mention of how provocative she looked. The design was admittedly appealing to me since the day I first saw her concept art:

That said, ya know, I would've designed her differently if it were up to me.

Man, Character Design is wiping me out.

Edit 1: Now the Marketing Division.

Ah, I got it. Say Yes to help.

Okay, so awesome game. I love how playing multiple times will give you different perspectives and even make the game longer when you start as A2.

Antiwhippy

Considering what he thinks about Squenix I'd say most definitely lol.

And also that he's one of the first names to die.

NEO0MJ

Y'all are putting more thought into the character design than the team ever did, lol.

Absolutely not, haha. 9S represents humanity. He comes across as kind and well informed, but is ignorant and prejudice even before he goes insane. He never makes an attempt to truly understand machines.

Nah, I think he does. One of the main reasons I think that is how curious he was about those wise machines. Even though it was messing with him and his pod suggested against it he still kept hacking into them to get a better understanding. The gold robots quest was another one where it seemed he was questioning his beliefs on machines. Even after he jumped off the deep end he still showed sadness about Pascal and his village. If anything I feel he put more of an effort into it than anyone else we know at Yorha.
Problem is we don't know how he would have been had he was able to keep his memories instead of getting it wiped all the time. While that was probably mostly to clear any Yorha or 2B stuff I wonder if it did more than that to him.

To be fair, I feel like their bodies are built make complete sense in universe. A common theme is about how androids and machines both aspire to be human and we ourselves routinely try to be as attractive as possible (how else would anyone explain cosmetic surgeries), so the androids are built with that goal in mind but without the limitation of actually you know looking like you organically look like. If you gave an average human a clean slate to design himself on how he'd like to be, you basically end up with the most attractive human being ever like 99% of the time.

This also goes hand in hand with Adam and Eve being clearly attractive as they are the closest machines get to being human and it contrasts with Simone's quest for beauty and the subsequent realization that it's meaningless and yet unavoidable.

LotusHD

Banned
To be fair, I feel like their bodies are built make complete sense in universe. A common theme is about how androids and machines both aspire to be human and we ourselves routinely try to be as attractive as possible (how else would anyone explain cosmetic surgeries), so the androids are built with that goal in mind but without the limitation of actually you know looking like you organically look like. If you gave an average human a clean slate to design himself on how he'd like to be, you basically end up with the most attractive human being ever like 99% of the time.

This also goes hand in hand with Adam and Eve being clearly attractive as they are the closest machines get to being human and it contrasts with Simone's quest for beauty and the subsequent realization that it's meaningless and yet unavoidable.

We all just want people to look our way.

PK Gaming

Nah, I think he does. One of the main reasons I think that is how curious he was about those wise machines. Even though it was messing with him and his pod suggested against it he still kept hacking into them to get a better understanding. The gold robots quest was another one where it seemed he was questioning his beliefs on machines. Even after he jumped off the deep end he still showed sadness about Pascal and his village. If anything I feel he put more of an effort into it than anyone else we know at Yorha.
Problem is we don't know how he would have been had he was able to keep his memories instead of getting it wiped all the time. While that was probably mostly to clear any Yorha or 2B stuff I wonder if it did more than that to him.

Perhaps to a certain extent, but he still falls back into loathing them after 2B's death. And even before that happens, he still falls on his previous mindset, ala "they're machines, they don't have feelings!", in spite of getting to know Pascal or bonding with some of the villagers.

It's a surprisingly nuanced take on bigotry I feel. Bigots aren't (usually) paper thin individuals. Someone can have a cordial conversation with a minority and still post racist things on the internet for example. For all of 9S's attempts at getting the understand machines more, he still looks down on him, and the reveal that machines and androids share the same cores outright disgusts him.

We all just want people to look our way.

Yeah

:')

:'(

NEO0MJ

Perhaps to a certain extent, but he still falls back into loathing them after 2B's death. And even before that happens, he still falls on his previous mindset, ala "they're machines, they don't have feelings!", in spite of getting to know Pascal or bonding with some of the villagers.

It's a surprisingly nuanced take on bigotry I feel. Bigots aren't (usually) paper thin individuals. Someone can have a cordial conversation with a minority and still post racist things on the internet for example. For all of 9S's attempts at getting the understand machines more, he still looks down on him, and the reveal that machines and androids share the same cores outright disgusts him.

Yeah he still thought of them a lot of times as "just machines", but I imagine it's partly a coping mechanism. Probably becomes harder to kill them if he thinks of them as true sentient beings if not equals, plus by the end of the golden machines quest we saw that this excuse was on the cusp of cracking. Thinking about it, that whole quest felt like a reflection of 9S himself, especially the last machine who was fully blinded by hate against all androids and had nothing to live for.
And it probably didn't help that he was in full machine hating mode (and partially fried brains) by the time he found out that they shared the same cores as machines. The machines themselves were full berserk mode at that point in the story as well so it became much easier to dehumanize them for him and think that they couldn't possibly have the part for a "soul".

But yeah, an interesting take on how bigotry is a gradient and not just black and white.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So when I finished Persona 5 I felt a bit empty inside---my issue with the Persona games is despite being all about interacting with others and living your life, I feel the large amount of time you have to put into them sort of works counter to that. Persona 4 having one of the most despicable characters be, well, a gamer, only made me sort of depressed when I finished them---like I wasted my time when I could be out making actual social connections.

Not so with Automata. I feel like the final ending of the game actually makes the player feel good about playing the game (at one point even asking "do you think games are silly things?) and doing your best and living life, even if you're not living it the way others believe it should be lived. I feel much more of a sense of accomplishment from Automata than Persona 5, even if the latter is overall more uplifting and hopeful.

But, fuck, mind blown that Jean Paul was the robot that the opera singer was pining for as people have brought up in the early pages---I thought it was just that one top-hat robot right outside the Roller Coaster who warns you about "junk" being ahead, as that made sense he'd be disgusted with her new form.

Erheller

I just got ending E, and damn, that was a good game. It's one of those games, like the Beginner's Guide, that'll stick in my head for a long time after I've finished it.

I'll probably go and finish up all of the sidequests and loose ends, then help someone out and delete my save.

Antiwhippy

But, fuck, mind blown that Jean Paul was the robot that the opera singer was pining for as people have brought up in the early pages---I thought it was just that one top-hat robot right outside the Roller Coaster who warns you about "junk" being ahead, as that made sense he'd be disgusted with her new form.

I don't think that top hat robot who warns you about junk is jean paul.

I think he's just an asshole to everyone.

The relationship between Jean Paul and Simone (whose real life counterparts actually have an interesting history together) is actually more about the real life simone's own theories about how a women's "feminine identity" is made and is dependent in a patriarchal society, and the first real exploration of the overall theme of identifying what makes humanity.

And the dependent "feminine identity" is later also explored and subverted by Eve.

TheKevn

Hey I just got the game today. In the desert and overgrown city area is it normal for it to stop and load the map for 20-30 secs almost every time you sprint in one direction for 1 min or min thirty? The game kept saying my disk was dirty which is making me think my disk may be causing the loading.

I'm getting cutscenes where the subtitle is there 15 secs before the dialogue is spoken. Is this normal on a PS4 Pro?

Top Bottom