• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Z3M0G

I feel bad for saying "no". The game is borrowed from a friend, so i may remedy that before returning it.

How close to the end can you level select?

I feel bad for saying "no". The game is borrowed from a friend, so i may remedy that before returning it.

How close to the end can you level select?

Once you've beaten the end credits, you can chapter select right to the last ending C cutscene.

Of course, you'll never see that last chapter select marker if you delete your save right away.

Once you've beaten the end credits, you can chapter select right to the last ending C cutscene.

Of course, you'll never see that last chapter select marker if you delete your save right away.

Wait, you guys went with 9S on your first play through? I selected A2 without even thinking too hard, 9S was clearly crazy as fuck and no good thing would come out of that.

So I finished the second Emil fight, got everything I wanted and I was ready to give up my save file... And yet the question doesn't prompt this time. You only have one chance to give up your save file? Now that's cruel lol.

LotusHD

Banned
Did you do Ending E again, with the whole shooting sequence and what not? I don't remember exactly how it goes, but I didn't delete my save file until later, so I know I got said "second chance" lol

Did you do Ending E again, with the whole shooting sequence and what not? I don't remember exactly how it goes, but I didn't delete my save file until later, so I know I got said "second chance" lol

Yes, did it exactly like I did the first time. But the Pod didn't ask about helping others and shit this time. I was ready to martyr up my save data but nope game didn't want it I guess lol.

Z3M0G

Replayed the sequence and offered up my safe file. Handed the game back to my buddy. Now I can't get the music from the final sequence out of my head. I've been humming it since last night... not a terrible thing I guess, but I'd rather not have the game hanging on my head all day.

During that final sequence, when you accept help from other players, if you get it it says that the data of those players are lost. Do we think it is truly deleted from the server??? That would be so amazing!

Yes, did it exactly like I did the first time. But the Pod didn't ask about helping others and shit this time. I was ready to martyr up my save data but nope game didn't want it I guess lol.

Maybe your console was offline for that moment?

Baalzebup

During that final sequence, when you accept help from other players, if you get it it says that the data of those players are lost. Do we think it is truly deleted from the server??? That would be so amazing!
Honestly? No, I don't think they actually remove any of the helpers. It is pretty safe to say that more "lives" are lost than people sacrifice save files, so the pool would have ran dry in a flash if that actually were the case.

Honestly? No, I don't think they actually remove any of the helpers. It is pretty safe to say that more "lives" are lost than people sacrifice save files, so the pool would have ran dry in a flash if that actually were the case.

If you die enough times after you get help, the game just cycles back to the first player who was "deleted."

Got it. Save's gone and I love the new title screen. I had an insanely great time playing this game and I know I will be thinking about many of its details for a very long time. I need to play something lighter before I dive into Persona 5 though lol.

PK Gaming

DENeC8OVoAEzE_T.jpg

lmao

NEO0MJ

Feels like anything I had to say about this game was already said, lol.
I guess one detail I liked that wasn't mentioned much was how 2B connected with some of the machine warriors such as Servo and Engels in a way that 9S didn't, since combat isn't his thing.

Also, Platinum really got their money's worth out of that spherical boss model and animations.

Golnei

Also, Platinum really got their money's worth out of that spherical boss model and animations.

I've gone on about this at length before, but I loved how they worked in the asset reuse here - the standard 'android' animations are used on 2B, A2 (and the boss versions thereof), the infected and rogue YoRHa, the 210 boss; and I think Devola & Popola as well - yet each of them feel perfectly natural in the context of the game, and you don't come out of it thinking that these elements which completely reuse existing assets feel anticlimactic and cheap. Like, 210 in particular - it's rare that a fight against a boss that has a generic NPC model using another character's animations, recycling existing music and set in an arena that's repeated verbatim three times throughout a single chapter is received as a striking and emotional moment.

A lot of games could learn from how Automata weaves its narrative around the limitations of its budget so effectively.

NEO0MJ

Oh, did anyone else have Emil ruin what was supposed to be an emotional scene by just blurting out his song in the background? Damn it kid, can't you see that they're dying?!

I've gone on about this at length before, but I loved how they worked in the asset reuse here - the standard 'android' animations are used on 2B, A2 (and the boss versions thereof), the infected and rogue YoRHa, the 210 boss; and I think Devola & Popola as well - yet each of them feel perfectly natural in the context of the game, and you don't come out of it thinking that these elements which completely reuse existing assets feel anticlimactic and cheap. Like, 210 in particular - it's rare that a fight against a boss that has a generic NPC model using another character's animations, recycling existing music and set in an arena that's repeated verbatim three times throughout a single chapter is received as a striking and emotional moment.

A lot of games could learn from how Automata weaves its narrative around the limitations of its budget so effectively.

It makes sense, especially with the robots, but it was kinda anti-climatic when one of the final bosses you faced was one that was already used three times :p

NEO0MJ

Emil crashing through emotional scenes blaring his silly song is the best part of the game.

Engels: After some thinking, I think I understand the concept of sin and I feel great remorse for the thousands I killed.
2B: Gah (looks down in understanding)
9S: But, you're a machine. How can you understand such a concept?
Emil: Doo da doo, laa le laa! Buy my stuff, buy my stuff!

dadjumper

I just finished endings C and D just now. I got to the shooting the credits sequence and decided to give up because it was boring and tedious. I guess finishing that is what gives you ending E? Anyway, I just youtubed ending E. Wholly underwhelmed with all of these endings. I vaguely enjoyed playthrough A, especially at the end, and then felt like the game became a slog once I started B. Saw it through just to see what the fuss was about but there's nothing particularly mindblowing here, imo. What sold me on buying the game in the first place was Waypoint talking about how philosophically interesting it gets, but I don't really see that. It kinda felt like I was being hit over the head with the idea that machines can have feelings/the nature of humanity, and it never really went beyond that.

Am I missing something?

The story in general was alright. Seeing what happened to the characters was kind of a drive for me to keep playing, but not really enough. I didn't enjoy playing the game. I ended up bumping it down to easy and used all the auto attack chips just to get through it once I got frustrated with the combat at the start of C. Wasn't worth the effort, as far as I can tell.

LotusHD

Banned
I just finished endings C and D just now. I got to the shooting the credits sequence and decided to give up because it was boring and tedious. I guess finishing that is what gives you ending E? Anyway, I just youtubed ending E. Wholly underwhelmed with all of these endings. I vaguely enjoyed playthrough A, especially at the end, and then felt like the game became a slog once I started B. Saw it through just to see what the fuss was about but there's nothing particularly mindblowing here, imo.

Did you not have your network or w/e turned on? The whole point is that you'd fail, but not give up, and then as you saw through Youtube (Sigh...), people from around the world would help you out to get through that section, thus clearing Ending E. Without that, then that section is practically impossible.

What sold me on buying the game in the first place was Waypoint talking about how philosophically interesting it gets, but I don't really see that. It kinda felt like I was being hit over the head with the idea that machines can have feelings/the nature of humanity, and it never really went beyond that.

Am I missing something?

It does go beyond that, and perhaps you are "missing something", but I dunno, instead of us randomly pointing out stuff, feel free to ask questions or make more specific criticisms, or state the parts you thought were hitting you over the head I guess, and then we can go from there.

tsundoku

Wait, you guys went with 9S on your first play through? I selected A2 without even thinking too hard, 9S was clearly crazy as fuck and no good thing would come out of that.

If its a lie then you fight on that lie.
Was both happy and sad that it was C and the other one was therefore canonically after
It ends up being a better ending then F narratively

dadjumper

Did you not have your network or w/e turned on? The whole point is that you'd fail, but not give up, and then as you saw through Youtube (Sigh...), people from around the world would help you out to get through that section, thus clearing Ending E. Without that, then that section is practically impossible.
Oh. Well whatever. My network was connected and I died like four times so I was like eh

It does go beyond that, and perhaps you are "missing something", but I dunno, instead of us randomly pointing out stuff, feel free to ask questions or make more specific criticisms, or state the parts you thought were hitting you over the head I guess, and then we can go from there.

I don't really have any questions. It kinda seems straightforward. For the whole game, 9S is like "they're machines, they don't have feelings!" and then eventually he's like "weird, they have feelings after all" and that's kinda as far as that thing goes. I get that it's also talking about how existing is defined by experiences/memories and stuff, but idk, I guess I just went in expecting to have my mind blown and instead I was just like "oh, okay"

Mailbox

I just finished endings C and D just now. I got to the shooting the credits sequence and decided to give up because it was boring and tedious. I guess finishing that is what gives you ending E? Anyway, I just youtubed ending E. Wholly underwhelmed with all of these endings. I vaguely enjoyed playthrough A, especially at the end, and then felt like the game became a slog once I started B. Saw it through just to see what the fuss was about but there's nothing particularly mindblowing here, imo. What sold me on buying the game in the first place was Waypoint talking about how philosophically interesting it gets, but I don't really see that. It kinda felt like I was being hit over the head with the idea that machines can have feelings/the nature of humanity, and it never really went beyond that.

Am I missing something?

The story in general was alright. Seeing what happened to the characters was kind of a drive for me to keep playing, but not really enough. I didn't enjoy playing the game. I ended up bumping it down to easy and used all the auto attack chips just to get through it once I got frustrated with the combat at the start of C. Wasn't worth the effort, as far as I can tell.

Honestly it just sounds like you used every oppertunity to make the game a less enjoyable experiance. Obviously using auto-attacks would make the game less engaging (especially in part C) (the game is piss easy on normal anyway). And also youtubing ending E because you found it "tedious" (tedium is part of why the ending works as well as it does) is disappointing to hear. (seriously, you lose EVERYTHING from that ending by youtubing it >.<)

Anywho, Automata goes heavy into themes of existentialism, it isn't a story about "androids and machines can act like people too", everything in the game is related to set themes about "what it means to be human".
Look into all the Boss names, they are names of philosophers and writers who's key works are on topics of existentialism. For example Nietzsche's "God is Dead" is used in large amounts in the game (hell, pascal even outright does a shoutout to Nietzsche). So yeah, look into works from Jean Paul, Nietzsche and Simone de beauvoir if you really wanna see the depth this game has to offer.

Beyond that I recommend this article on the transhumanistic themes of automata, its a good read: https://tanoshimi.xyz/2017/03/21/violet-evergarden-spoilers/

Hope this clears up why many of us think automata is special.
Everything about automata is in relation to its themes. Its a shame you didn't see that.

tsundoku

It wasn't until this week when i've been begging my friend to keep playing the game when he stopped after finishing A because he "Didnt want to replay the entire game over again" That I finally understood the scene that opens part B

One bored Scanner just waiting for orders putting on a puppet show for an empty theatre

dadjumper

Honestly it just sounds like you used every oppertunity to make the game a less enjoyable experiance. Obviously using auto-attacks would make the game less engaging (especially in part C) (the game is piss easy on normal anyway). And also youtubing ending E because you found it "tedious" (tedium is part of why the ending works as well as it does) is disappointing to hear. (seriously, you lose EVERYTHING from that ending by youtubing it >.<)

Anywho, Automata goes heavy into themes of existentialism, it isn't a story about "androids and machines can act like people too", everything in the game is related to set themes about "what it means to be human".
Look into all the Boss names, they are names of philosophers and writers who's key works are on topics of existentialism. For example Nietzsche's "God is Dead" is used in large amounts in the game (hell, pascal even outright does a shoutout to Nietzsche). So yeah, look into works from Jean Paul, Nietzsche and Simone de beauvoir if you really wanna see the depth this game has to offer.

Beyond that I recommend this article on the transhumanistic themes of automata, its a good read: https://tanoshimi.xyz/2017/03/21/violet-evergarden-spoilers/

Hope this clears up why many of us think automata is special.
Everything about automata is in relation to its themes. Its a shame you didn't see that.

Actually, the game got a lot more enjoyable when I lowered the difficulty. It was frustrating and got int he way before. I'm aware of those philosophers in passing, and skimmed that article there. It kind of seems like the game is using the ideas of philosophers but not really adding anything new. It doesn't seem like there was anything I could have gotten out of the game that I couldn't have from reading a book or two, and nothing about it being in a video game held any value to me.

Maybe the game just wasn't for me / I'm not interested enough in the subject matter, but I'm disappointed. Oh well.

It wasn't until this week when i've been begging my friend to keep playing the game when he stopped after finishing A because he "Didnt want to replay the entire game over again" That I finally understood the scene that opens part B

One bored Scanner just waiting for orders putting on a puppet show for an empty theatre

Oh shit it was 9S controlling them...

I'll replay this one day when my PC can do it justice. There's gonna be so many things that make more sense on a replay.

I do wish I played Nier the original though, stuff like Devola and Popola would've been much more impactful if I knew what was going on with them beforehand rather than reading up on it afterwards. Hope Taro's next big narrative game has a clean slate, but I guess I know enough about the lore for another sequel to actually work for me.

Mailbox

Oh shit it was 9S controlling them...

I'll replay this one day when my PC can do it justice. There's gonna be so many things that make more sense on a replay.

I do wish I played Nier the original though, stuff like Devola and Popola would've been much more impactful if I knew what was going on with them beforehand rather than reading up on it afterwards. Hope Taro's next big narrative game has a clean slate, but I guess I know enough about the lore for another sequel to actually work for me.

nah, 9s wasn't controlling them.

I doubt Taro's next game will be set in a separate universe though. He has a lot of leeway in this current universe to do basically anything he wants (which is good since he doesn't do the same game twice). Hopefully we'll see his next project soon. Automata was announced and released in iirc under 2 years, so I'm hopeful that he will make something good and speedy again. Hopefully w/ platinum again :)

LotusHD

Banned
I don't really have any questions. It kinda seems straightforward. For the whole game, 9S is like "they're machines, they don't have feelings!" and then eventually he's like "weird, they have feelings after all" and that's kinda as far as that thing goes. I get that it's also talking about how existing is defined by experiences/memories and stuff, but idk, I guess I just went in expecting to have my mind blown and instead I was just like "oh, okay"

I mean, it isn't just about the machines revealing themselves to have feelings, as that would be insanely basic and predictable if they just stopped there. There's all sorts of stuff that gets touched upon in this game:

- 2B and 9S' relationship, the extent of which is fully revealed at the climax of Route C, which then recontexualizes a great deal of your experiences throughout the game, going as far back as 2B's opening monologue as you start the game, the "You want to **** 2B" line, etc. (Said 2B monologue also ties into Ending E, as you get to kill said "gods".) This is consistently the most prominent thing that "blows people's minds" so to speak, seeing all the little hints that were scattered through both the main story and sidequests.

- Devola and Popola being a form of fanservice that doubles as an allegory for racism/discrimination that goes so far as to suck in those that were familiar (and thus, suspicious) with them from the first game.

- Ending E

Bunch of other shit, like the existential themes and what not.

Aside from that though, the similarities between the machines and androids extend to the war itself, and how their fates are intertwined. Because on one hand, you have the androids who are fighting the good fight against the machines, but they secretly don't want to actually win, as that would eventually destroy their morale as they realize humans have been extinct, hence Project YoRHa. While the machines are able to win but don't because they see the androids as being a way to help them evolve faster, so they have their own methods of ensuring that they don't win either. So both sides are just stuck in this pointless war, etc. etc.

But yea, again, you're not really giving me much to work with here lol, so ultimately, if you're disappointed, there's probably nothing we can really do to realistically sway you, so don't sweat it.

Hylian7

nah, 9s wasn't controlling them.

I doubt Taro's next game will be set in a separate universe though. He has a lot of leeway in this current universe to do basically anything he wants (which is good since he doesn't do the same game twice). Hopefully we'll see his next project soon. Automata was announced and released in iirc under 2 years, so I'm hopeful that he will make something good and speedy again. Hopefully w/ platinum again :)
From what I understand, the past games in the series (Nier and Drakenguard) had mediocre or bad gameplay, and Automata was the first to change that.

It's amazing what having competent gameplay does for a series, I do hope they keep working with Platinum. I always hear how good Drakenguard 1-3 and Nier are, but I have no desire to play them.

Hektor

From what I understand, the past games in the series (Nier and Drakenguard) had mediocre or bad gameplay, and Automata was the first to change that.

It's amazing what having competent gameplay does for a series, I do hope they keep working with Platinum. I always hear how good Drakenguard 1-3 and Nier are, but I have no desire to play them.

The awfulness of the first Nier has become ridiculously exaggerated (and i know why, but i don't wanna bring the heat in here), it actually plays fine and is pretty fun even, just rather basic.

In some aspects, Automata even managed to be a downgrade if anything, like the hitfeedback of spells or having the player slash away at high level enemies like Father Servo for 15 minutes.

Drakengard 1's combat on the other hand is one of the worst i've ever endured in my entire life.

Just finished tonight. Need a little while to take it in. All-in-all I totally did not "get" every single piece that they gave me, but I definitely enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading through the thread.

Also, who the heck is Emil people are talking about fighting?

NEO0MJ

In some aspects, Automata even managed to be a downgrade if anything, like the hitfeedback of spells or having the player slash away at high level enemies like Father Servo for 15 minutes.

I thought you were meant to hack those high level enemies with 9S to win? Can't imagine trying to cut down the lord of the valley.

Just finished tonight. Need a little while to take it in. All-in-all I totally did not "get" every single piece that they gave me, but I definitely enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading through the thread.

Also, who the heck is Emil people are talking about fighting?

Remember that freaky head thing that popped out of that robots head in the shopping department? That's Emil. He has 2 quest lines that can be triggered.

Dmax3901

Just finished ending E which actually ended up kinda falling flat for me cause I got a significant part of the way into the credits minigame and then figured it was just a weird thing to do and you were supposed to die, so I did, then nothing really happened. Looked it up and was like "god fucking damn it". I also played the prologue of the game through again thinking it was Route D before, again, looking it up and seeing I had to go through chapter select. All my fault I admit, but it still made things very frustrating.

The story lost me pretty hard once I reached the tower. The reveal that 2B is an E unit and kills 9S every time he learns the reality about humans is kinda weak imo, I feel like the game's plot is so far beyond that sort of twist in terms of the crazy shit that is going on that it feels like a step backwards.

So, how does it work exactly? Does everyone planetside get their memories wiped too or are they just programmed not to say anything? Has the bunker been destroyed/rebuilt thousands of times? Has Pascal always been friendly and does his village get destroyed every time? Are the events always the same? I don't really get it.

Are the two little girls the end point of the machines evolving over all these repeated cycles and they're effectively breaking the cycle by shooting off the ark? If 9S goes with them then he too is breaking free?

Thanks in advance!

LotusHD

Banned
Just finished ending E which actually ended up kinda falling flat for me cause I got a significant part of the way into the credits minigame and then figured it was just a weird thing to do and you were supposed to die, so I did, then nothing really happened. Looked it up and was like "god fucking damn it". I also played the prologue of the game through again thinking it was Route D before, again, looking it up and seeing I had to go through chapter select. All my fault I admit, but it still made things very frustrating.

Ah, that's a shame. For me, I too went and started the game from the beginning. But once I saw that I was clearly doing Route A again, it just clicked that I needed to use Chapter Select so that I could simply pick the other option in the final fight between A2 and 9S.

The story lost me pretty hard once I reached the tower. The reveal that 2B is an E unit and kills 9S every time he learns the reality about humans is kinda weak imo, I feel like the game's plot is so far beyond that sort of twist in terms of the crazy shit that is going on that it feels like a step backwards.

Hmm, I disagree. It pretty much recontexualizes nearly your entire experience with them throughout the game, with it even seeping into some of the sidequests:

- 2B's opening monologue about wanting to kill god (Said "gods" get killed in Ending E)
- Adam saying 9S wants to **** 2B suddenly taking a much darker meaning than anticipated
- their seemingly random closeness in the climax of the opening section of the game
- 2B's insistence on emotions being prohibited despite virtually everyone else clearly not following that protocol
- 2B saying "It always ends like this" at the end of Routes A/B
- 9S' being weirdly passionate over killing the 2B clones
- The Commander's nonchalance at admitting that humanity is extinct

And several other hints and such exist as well. The reveal when you first hear it can admittedly easily be this thing where you go like "Oh. Well, alright then." But then you look back at your journey to get to this point, and imo it's like "Oh shit, so that's why X, Y, and Z happened, or that's why this person acted like that..."

Out of everything, it was the best reveal, because it takes Routes A/B and just makes you look at them in a completely different light, and ultimately makes them stronger, especially to those who may not have been particularly into those two routes.

This game is partly a very twisted love story when you think about it.

So, how does it work exactly? Does everyone planetside get their memories wiped too or are they just programmed not to say anything? Has the bunker been destroyed/rebuilt thousands of times? Are the events always the same? I don't really get it.

How does what work exactly? If you're referring to keeping the "humanity is extinct" secret safe, out of the characters we saw, only the Commander actually knows about it, though it is a possibility that 2B may be aware on some level, but it's not ever confirmed.

As for the bunker, I dunno about it being recreated, but Project YoRHa (Even the commander doesn't not know of the true purpose of this project) is a one-time thing, it's just another part of the cycle of how they perpetuate their endless war against the machines.

The gist of it is that the androids at some point realized that actually defeating the machines would lead to androids desiring the humans to come back to Earth. But since they're extinct, that obviously can't happen. And if that can't happen, the androids would lose their morale, wonder what's the point of their existence if their so-called masters are no longer alive. Said decreased morale would inevitably doom them to lose against the machines. So with that in mind, the androids (not all of them, but basically whoever comes up with these plans) make it so that whenever the androids are at a point where they can achieve a decisive victory against the machines, they will self-sabotage their efforts, in order to make sure that said victory is never obtained.

Their latest method of accomplishing this is Project YoRHa. Like I said, the androids are about to have this decisive victory against the androids. But self-sabotage happens once more, this time in the form of having a backdoor open for the machines to infiltrate and give the YoRHa androids a logic virus. Then as you know, chaos ensues, bunker ends up blowing up, the end. So the cycle is perpetuated, but in addition, this elaborate plan was also to help retrieve battle data and such for the new androids that would arrive after this plan succeeded. And of course, it would make it so that androids would never be able to know the truth of humanity's extinction.

So no, events are not literally the same. The endless war continues, Project YoRHa is simply their method of repeating this cycle this time around. In the past, they used other methods.

Has Pascal always been friendly and does his village get destroyed every time?

I mean, more or less. There was a time when he was synced up to the machine network, so presumably he was probably hostile to androids. But the network started doing its own thing and essentially allowed for machines to disconnect from it, thereby creating anomalies such as Pascal, Adam & Eve, the machines of the Forest Kingdom, etc.

And no, the village got destroyed for the first time in this game.

Are the two little girls the end point of the machines evolving over all these repeated cycles and they're effectively breaking the cycle by shooting off the ark? If 9S goes with them then he too is breaking free?

Thanks in advance!

Uh, I dunno about calling them the end point. More like, they're largely, if not completely responsible for machines continuing to evolve (i.e. Pascal, Father Servo, etc.) The machines have their own methods of evolving, which ironically involved perpetuating the war with the androids as well; they didn't want to crush the androids, because the continual conflict helped them grow and evolve faster. So it's amusing in that neither side actually wants to win due to their respective agendas.

As for the machines breaking the cycle, yea, I suppose they did do just that by shooting off the arc. How that ends for them is left to be seen though...

As for 9S, yea I would say that would count as breaking the cycle as well. Hell, Route D is even called "Childhood's End", so it's pretty fitting. Additionally, even if he doesn't leave, Ending E effectively does that for the trio of androids we've come to care for, as we challenge the "gods" themselves in order to hopefully give them a life where they're finally free from the lives they've been given. There's a real possibility that Ending E was pointless, that they'll inevitably get wrapped up in conflict once more, but we still hope for the best nonetheless.

Dmax3901

I think the reason the reveal didn't really hit me is because of how obvious/arbitrary those moments are, especially in hindsight. Like I'd considered that there was some sort of repeated cycle going on when 2B says "It always ends like this" but that's all it was, a theory to consider. When it turns out to be true it was, as you said, kinda like "oh ok."

As for the stuff about Yorha and Androids, I actually think you're wrong. There's an entry in the intel written by Jackass that gets added after you finish ending C.

While the machine lifeform network was destroyed following the collapse of the Tower, a great deal of previously unknown information regarding machine lifeforms and aliens was recovered from the wreckage. As part of this analysis, we compiled research and conjecture regarding both the machine lifeform network and the lifeform Codename N2&#8212;commonly known as the Red Girls&#8212;that was thought to have been commanding them.

- Machine lifeforms are weapons created by the aliens. The only command given for their behavior was to "defeat the enemy." However, it appears that their capacity for growth and evolution went too far, and they eventually turned on and killed their creators.

Nothing too crazy here, all stuff explained in Route A by Adam and Eve.

- At this point, machine lifeforms recognized that the goal of "defeating the enemy" actually REQUIRED an enemy. In order to maintain this singular objective, they reached the contradictory conclusion that their current enemies&#8212;the androids&#8212;could not be annihilated completely, lest they no longer have an enemy to defeat.

- In order to resolve this inherent contradiction, the machine lifeforms began to intentionally cause deficiencies in their network, diversifying the vectors of evolution for all machines. This is the cause behind some of the more "special" machine lifeforms, such as Pascal and the Forest King.

Now this is where it gets real interesting. The machines and their weirdness (dressing in tribal clothes or as clowns or as medieval soldiers) is all part of a deliberate attempt to give the Androids a chance basically.

- Meanwhile, the deficient network began repeating a process of self-repair while incorporating surrounding information, until it finally reached a fixed state as a new form of network. Traces of information regarding human memories from the quantum server of the old model were discovered, indicating that it had integrated them during the final stages of its growth process. Said server contained a record of the discarded "Project Gestalt," as well as information on the human who was the first successful example of the Gestalt process.

Based on my viewing of Clemps' videos this quote seems to be referring to stuff from the first game, but also appears to talk about the advent of Adam and Eve.

- Having acquired information regarding humanity, the network's structure changed once more, becoming what might better be called a meta network (or a "concept", to borrow the words of the machines). This led directly to the formation of the ego we identify as N2.

And here we have the birth of the twin girls, which leads me to believe the giant white tower had never appeared before.

...So then! To sum up: For hundreds of years, we've been fighting a network of machines with the ghost of humanity at its core. We've been living in a stupid *****ing world where we fight an endless war that we COULDN'T POSSIBLY LOSE, all for the sake of some Council of Humanity on the moon that doesn't even exist.

I don't know what the point is to all this, but I swear I will kill every evolutionary dead-end machine lifeform, as well as every single asshole behind Project YoRHa.
I'm coming for all your heads. ***** you.

Information Analysis Officer,

Jackass

This is just Jackass being awesome (sequel starring her please), but it's interesting to note the part about humanity at it's core. Does she mean the way they're copying old human societies? Or are the souls of humanity more directly connected to the machines?

So when I say you're wrong I mean that it's the machines perpetuating this cycle, not the androids.

So is the gist of it this (feel free to knock me if I totally missed the point):

-Aliens came to Earth and created robots to take over, Humans fled
-Humans created Androids to fight back
-Humans went extinct partially through not winning the fight / time passing & partially through the red twins malfunctioning and killing them
-Robots also eventually turned on their Alien masters and killed them
-So now the Robots & Androids are taking part in a never-ending proxy fight based on their original orders that is driven partially by them self-motivating / hiding the truth because if they didn't, they would question their existence / purpose and get wiped out

Then with that being the over-arching story, we're given a lens into that through 2B/9S/A2 and their adventure within this one specific segment of the self-perpetuating cycle.

Things I don't quite get / missed / am ignorant to:

-I get that she was programmed to kill 9S every time he found out the truth, but the reveal where she was "secretly an E unit" really didn't hit me at first because I have no idea what the hell an E unit is. Is this provided somewhere previously with context to other E units?

-Adam and Eve. All of it. So they are Robots that look like Androids that were created by the Robots? Does this tie into how it seems they are absorbing Earth culture and reading their texts and are trying to assimilate themselves into a piece of it?

-After reading some posts previous, I get the twins a bit more, since I guess they were part of the original Nier (which I never played.) But basically they (along with their equivalents) were programmed to oversee and record the Human efforts to take back Earth and their equivalents in all the other outposts went crazy and killed humans? And they didn't, but were persecuted and fled. But then killed a human during an act of persecution before ending up at what we know as the Resistance Camp?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So when I say you're wrong I mean that it's the machines perpetuating this cycle, not the androids.

It's a mutual cycle. The machines need the androids and vice versa in order to perpetuate each other's purpose. It's the whole point of the Yorha project.

Much like 2B & 9S.

-I get that she was programmed to kill 9S every time he found out the truth, but the reveal where she was "secretly an E unit" really didn't hit me at first because I have no idea what the hell an E unit is. Is this provided somewhere previously with context to other E units?

One of the sidequests yeah. B specific. You get a quest to try to recover some memories for an android only to discover that they deliberately suppressed it in order to escape the burdern of having to kill other androids.

-Adam and Eve. All of it. So they are Robots that look like Androids that were created by the Robots? Does this tie into how it seems they are absorbing Earth culture and reading their texts and are trying to assimilate themselves into a piece of it?

Pretty much. Also it's the first signs of the "machines & androids basically have no differences" subplot.

-After reading some posts previous, I get the twins a bit more, since I guess they were part of the original Nier (which I never played.) But basically they (along with their equivalents) were programmed to oversee and record the Human efforts to take back Earth and their equivalents in all the other outposts went crazy and killed humans? And they didn't, but were persecuted and fled. But then killed a human during an act of persecution before ending up at what we know as the Resistance Camp?

No, I think the part which you think are them killing someone was just one of the sisters attacking another android because the other sister had to suffer abuse from being a poppola and devola unit. Humans are all dead (well, bar one) by the time that happen. The other devola & poppola unit (who are not the ones in this game)" "sin" was to allow the original nier to destroy the gestalt project which was the whole point of the original game. This is seen as a failure by the other androids, and thus the other devola & poppola units (like the ones in this game) had to bear the brunt of their resentment.

Hektor

So is the gist of it this (feel free to knock me if I totally missed the point):

-Aliens came to Earth and created robots to take over, Humans fled
-Humans created Androids to fight back
-Humans went extinct partially through not winning the fight / time passing & partially through the red twins malfunctioning and killing them
-Robots also eventually turned on their Alien masters and killed them
-So now the Robots & Androids are taking part in a never-ending proxy fight based on their original orders that is driven partially by them self-motivating / hiding the truth because if they didn't, they would question their existence / purpose and get wiped out

Then with that being the over-arching story, we're given a lens into that through 2B/9S/A2 and their adventure within this one specific segment of the self-perpetuating cycle.

Things I don't quite get / missed / am ignorant to:

Humans never fled. They went extinct because of what happened in the first Nier, long before the Aliens appeared. The Androids built to oversee Project Gestalt decided to make up that lie because Androids lost their sense of purpose.

There's an entire sidequests built around the concept of E Units, but when you first play through it it seems rather innocuous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wzhFCbO72Y

Yes, Adam and Eve are just Robots that try to imitate human culture as part of their evolution.

Devola and Popola are from the first Nier indeed, their job was it to oversee project Gestalt (Getting Human souls (Gestalts) into artifically created clone bodies (Replicants) once the replicants succeeded in getting rid of the Maso in our world (Magic Energy brought in from another unvierse that was killing humans).

That Project Gestalt happened hlobally in many cities, but one Devola and Popola pair ended up failing their mission which resulted in the death of the original Gestalt and therefore, in the death of all of humanity and their Replicants.

The Devola and Popola we see in NieR: Automata are actually different Androids than the one sin hte original, but they were persecuted and treated like shit because their productiion line as a whole was made responsible for the mistakes of that one pair from the original Nier.

NEO0MJ

Now this is where it gets real interesting. The machines and their weirdness (dressing in tribal clothes or as clowns or as medieval soldiers) is all part of a deliberate attempt to give the Androids a chance basically.

That and further exploring concepts and ideas. Problem is that most individual machines are too stupid to develop themselves so they continue to loop their actions, regardless of results. One of the reports mentioned how if a group of machines establish a dictatorship and it fails, they usually try it again. Another example is the machine at the start of route B that was trying to revive its dead brother. No matter how many times it brought oil and failed to revive him it kept trying it.

Top Bottom