• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Mariip

I like the english lyrics, my only problem with them is the "but the truth is that i'm only one girl" part because, well :p

It's pretty interesting when you know it was never meant to be a translation of the japanese one, they gave the artists the melody and some vague instructions bout what the song is about and then they came up with their own lyrics, some people even say that english lyrics is 2B's POV and japanese ones are 9S's (woth chaos language being a2 i guess)the point is, they gave the same "feeling" for 3 different singers and that's how they translated that into the lyrics(and chaos language gibberish) i'm kinda dissapointed the chaos language version doesn't have the crying part though :/

Hylian7

I was driving home from work yesterday and listening to the soundtrack, and the full mix version of Weight of the World came up. I started crying when it got to the chanting.

This fucking game.

CSX

I just finished this game Ending E and all.

Holy fuck what game did i just play? The tonal shift from Route A/B to C/D was mind blowing. How can a game starring completely of machines and androids express such thought provoking themes of free will , identity, and causes and effects of human society?

If this is the norm of Yoko Taro, consider me a fan and waiting for his next game!

Also I found the music changing to a dark tone whenever a messed up story revelation in a side quest is revealed to be a nice touch. And goddam, this soundtrack is beautifullll

Joeku

Can't stop thinking of this game after finishing it up a day or two ago.

Gotta go back and do it again. Dierdre gave his data for me.

What up, Anti.

LotusHD

Banned
I was using the A2 one for a bit, but then I stopped cuz meh, it felt weird when I don't really like P5 that much.

Also let's be real, this Kat avatar is the best thing ever.

Hylian7

A petition could get this going, probably.

Platinum did say they'd make it for whatever system Square Enix wanted them to put it on.

I'd double dip for it if they did actually put it on Switch. Although I would have my concerns on performance. The PC version isn't exactly great in the performance department, but maybe they could find a way to make it work.

LotusHD

Banned
Does anyone have that list of unskippable sidequests someone made here?

What do you mean by unskippable? Recommended sidequests?

9S bleeding to death while he flails in pure animal agony with a big fuckin sword stuck in him was viscerally upsetting to watch. Christ.

Yea, wasn't a pretty moment...

A petition could get this going, probably.

Platinum did say they'd make it for whatever system Square Enix wanted them to put it on.

True

PK Gaming

Hm, yes, yes it is.

I don't know man, I mean knack 2 is still coming out. Maybe that'll have something even deeper to say.

It was just such a major triumph in pretty much every regard. The music, characters, voice acting, writing, setting and atmosphere were top class. The various themes the game tried to impart were actually pretty meaningful (the game's depiction of prejudice blows my fucking mind). And the twists. My God. Some of them aren't even that difficult to figure out, but they were always so fucking hard hitting. This is a game where the Commander can deliver a cheesy line like "2B, 9S... don't die on me", but it's also a game where ending D happens. The gameplay, while not even close to being deep, is still really fun for the most part. I got burnt out on open world games a while back, but I actually liked exploring the different areas. I think it's because of the linear set pieces that keep things focused. Character building was also really solid as well, and I had fun pushing the various playable characters to their absolute limits.

The game was just... unrelentingly evocative, full of charm and sadness. Easy GOTY, and one of the best games I've ever played. Sad I missed out on the discussions :(

9S bleeding to death while he flails in pure animal agony with a big fuckin sword stuck in him was viscerally upsetting to watch. Christ.

This. A thousand times, this. Kyle McCarley's voice acting gave me chills. Ending E was really satisfying, but I think I prefer Ending D overall. It's a really good conclusion to 9S's character arc.

LotusHD

Banned
Life is a constant string of embarassment

And I kinda want to engrave those lines on a plate and place them in my bedroom as one of mine

Oh lol, I meant that beating the game put that line in a new light, with the whole being forced to kill 9S and what not.

The embarrassment line was awesome.

Life is a constant string of embarassment

So real talk and this might sound like hyperbolic fandom but those words pulled me out of depression and made me take hold of my life. Seriously I needed the framing, I needed the framing to justify my own failures and existence. Even if I wasn't in love with the stories or the characters, that line literally saved me. I have problems with Nier automata, like I think the gameplay is too simplistic and not every story beat works as intended for me... but every nitpick I have doesn't matter in the slightest.

Even as a fan of the original, who really heavily connected to the character of Emil. It was just masterful, everything about Automata from a creative perspective is just so masterful.

uceenk

I like the english lyrics, my only problem with them is the "but the truth is that i'm only one girl" part because, well :p

It's pretty interesting when you know it was never meant to be a translation of the japanese one, they gave the artists the melody and some vague instructions bout what the song is about and then they came up with their own lyrics, some people even say that english lyrics is 2B's POV and japanese ones are 9S's (woth chaos language being a2 i guess)the point is, they gave the same "feeling" for 3 different singers and that's how they translated that into the lyrics(and chaos language gibberish) i'm kinda dissapointed the chaos language version doesn't have the crying part though :/

i like the "only one girl" part, it showed that 2B is aactualy has similarity with a human girl, fall in love with 9s and all of that

PK Gaming

Yeah, I think we talked about how he brought back Devola and Poppola and subverted their roles just for that.

Exactly.

I think even applies to the non-hostile machines you encounter too. I was okay with a couple of them (Pascal) but I felt the rest were primitive, and that they were only play-acting at being human. They didn't matter to me to the same extent as the androids, who from my perspective were "just as good" as humans. Not only that, I laughed when I slaughtered the machines who swore revenge on me. I bought a chip that made them literally scream in pain after being hacked. I scoffed at the idea of the idea of machines building a families and communities, mostly because of how they looked and sounded.

This is literally how prejudice works. "You're one of the good ones; the rest are terrible." is a mindset I literally had about Pascal. But then the reveal that the YorHa units literally share the same machine cores as the machines and it's fucked up.

Clearly, I need to become a better person

LotusHD

Banned
Did you all talk about how Nier Automata tricks you into a discriminatory mindset because what the fuck Yoko Taro

Damn straight we did. I only watched the first game, but I'm completely hip. When I first came across Devola and Popola, my first instinct was to give them a nasty look, well aware of what the models in the first game did.

After all, surely they were up to no good.

I believe the hate and distrust I had for them was so strong that I may have actually deluded myself into believing that that ominous music (The one that plays when the quest takes a dark turn or twist, Color of Depression) played after completing one of their sidequests. Because I've looked for all the quests related to them, and beat the game and its sidequests twice, and I just can't find it. So yea... that happened.

But yea, here I am, just waiting for them to reveal their true colors. From the time when 9S wakes up to their bemused faces, to the time when they stand in front of me as I arrive at the Tower, perfectly mirroring their unexpected appearance in the first game.

Of course, as we all know, there was no deceit to be wary of, their intentions were pure all along. Disillusioned by my distrust of the other D & P, I was no better than the androids that discriminated against them. Their only crime was sharing an appearance with those who essentially led humanity to extinction. I think what sucks even more is that if you were in their world, you'd probably still have some subconscious bias against them regardless.

What pisses me off even more is how excessive the discrimination was. It wasn't bad enough that everyone blames them, but they went and programmed them to feel guilt for actions they never took. And on top of that, said guilt led them to help 9S, except they're not privy to the fact that 9S is growing increasingly insane, and ends up deciding he wants everyone dead later on, so D & P nearly would have fucked up again if it weren't for A2 being there to stop him.

People talk about Pascal's tragic arc often, but D & P got me real good on several levels. I feel that it's likely because not as many people played the first game, so while they see a tragic story, it doesn't really come across just how fucked up this sort of fanservice actually is for those familiar with the first game.

---

Exactly.

I think even applies to the non-hostile machines you encounter too. I was okay with a couple of them (Pascal) but I felt the rest were primitive, and that they were only play-acting at being human. They didn't matter to me to the same extent as the androids, who from my perspective were "just as good" as humans. Not only that, I laughed when I slaughtered the machines who swore revenge on me. I bought a chip that made them literally scream in pain after being hacked. I scoffed at the idea of the idea of machines building a families and communities, mostly because of how they looked and sounded.

This is literally how prejudice works. "You're one of the good ones; the rest are terrible." is a mindset I literally had about Pascal. But then the reveal that the YorHa units literally share the same machine cores as the machines and it's fucked up.

Clearly, I need to become a better person

Another example is how many robots you really just don't have to kill, but you just assume you do. Even when you realize, you'd probably do it anyways, because why not? They're machines, a stepping stone to that sweet exp and/or Machine Cores.

Yep!
sorry my english is not always on point :/

Here's my list of recommended sidequests:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=235924498&postcount=18814

Mailbox

How many people here didn't know that they didn't have to kill the amusement park tank?

The entire first few hours just made me feel so bad about killing and doing horrible shit, that the moment I noticed the tank wasn't attacking me, I questioned for a good 2-3 minutes if the game wanted me to kill the tank or not. I didn't in the end, but i was scared "would the tank come later and beat my shit?", "did the tank have more importance if i did kill it?", etc.

I think making the player feel that anxiety was genius, especially considering the downright unnerving nature of the otherwise non-violent amusement park area.

Jintor

i definitely feel some strong things about this game, but i think a lot of the impact of the question of the 'worth' of the robotic life v android life was blunted for me because i already thought philosophically largely along the lines of All Life Presenting As Life Is Worthy anyway (mixed with the metafiction of, well, also they're just characters in a game and all roughly equivalent in any event)

That nier still touched me despite all that is a really good testament to how strongly it is constructed and all comes together

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think the game was more asking "What is humanity's worth, when we are presented by beings who are the supposed inheritors of our legacy."

Top Bottom