• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Coreda

That's not the real superboss, the real one is for max upgrading all weapons. That's just Emil mad you stole from him, and you get a weapon for beating him.

Mmm, had read of the second fight. By super boss meant as a level 99 boss in general. So the countdown is for the second fight instead and the lack of response in this fight near the end is normal? Either way have already nearly obtained and upgraded all weapons so I suppose leveling up XP-wise would be the next main thing. Hopefully the quick-grind methods I've heard about aren't too tedious.

Mmm, had read of the second fight. By super boss meant as a level 99 boss in general. So the countdown is for the second fight instead and the lack of response in this fight near the end is normal? Either way have already nearly obtained and upgraded all weapons so I suppose leveling up XP-wise would be the next main thing. Hopefully the quick-grind methods I've heard about aren't too tedious.

Just beat up and hack on the the gold bunny statue in the amusement park, you'll be max level in like a half hour

Mubrik

http://nier.alwaysdata.net/

Script... 2 I think.

edit: oh god reading script 1 again.

*rolls on the ground trying not to cry*

Is this cannon? asin everything here is legit?
explains alot if so.

also the world's just fucked up eh.
perfect for this kinda story, i actually feel sad for A2 more cause it feels like she just kinda got dragged into 2b and 9s mess buuut she killed alot of machines so all well that end well.

game is fucking good, whole idea of the world is fucked up so might as well have a fucked up story. masterpiece yoko taro.
now i just need to know who came up with the 'yorha' idea
as IMO that's the god 2b really wants to kill and that's what is pissing me off right now cause i did not get to kill the 'god'

fuck square enix still

Mubrik

yoooooooooooooo
someone tell me no 9 isnt 9s.
is this script stuff legit from yoko??
the fuck???
oh my days...curiosity really killed the cat here
giphy.gif

this is just sad. the script, the novellas, the music.

edit: yeah i'm taking that concert good ending as the ending and closing my eyes and ears. i want to hear nothing more that might change my opinion.

yoooooooooooooo
someone tell me no 9 isnt 9s.
is this script stuff legit from yoko??
the fuck???
oh my days...curiosity really killed the cat here
giphy.gif

this is just sad. the script, the novellas, the music.

edit: yeah i'm taking that concert good ending as the ending and closing my eyes and ears. i want to hear nothing more that might change my opinion.

No. 9 isn't 9S; he's the prototype for the 9 series/base personality. He's kinda like what A2 is to 2B; same personality but different people. Having your best friend also be your bully/spending all your life doing tests, stuck on a space station/finding out your benevolent father figure created you to have a horrible monster body so you can fight in an endless war for your creators who have already died out really did a number on No. 9's psyche.

How the 9 series is handled is kind of played off like a reincarnation, but rather than it being a spiritual process, it's a mechanical/mental one. 9S being killed over and over by 2B almost feels like karma, (he's the only thing left of the God she wanted to kill, after all) but instead of it being a result of cosmic causality, it stems from their own personal tendencies. In light of this, the fact that the 9 and 2 series are stuck in a never ending death spiral due to mundane reasons rather than divine ones gives me a vague sense of existential horror.

If you haven't heard them already, you can listen to both the Japanese and English VAs performing the scripts and get extra sad.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I just finished the A ending last night and started up the 9S run. I know some here say his is the most boring but his perspective seems to be pretty different from 2B's

Baalzebup

I just finished the A ending last night and started up the 9S run. I know some here say his is the most boring but his perspective seems to be pretty different from 2B's
You'll want to avoid this thread until you finish route C/D/E. Completing route A is barely scratching the surface.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
You'll want to avoid this thread until you finish route C/D/E. Completing route A is barely scratching the surface.

Yeah, I really haven't read anything in it. I just finished it and so I'm still in Nier mode and this thread got bumped. There's a lot in the first playthrough that doesn't get resolved so I'm interested to see how some of that turns out.
So the only major side quest I didn't do in the 2B playthrough was follow up on Anenome's knowledge about A2. I ended up going to the coast to protect the aircraft carrier and didnt know that would pretty much start most of the end game scenarios. I'll try to do that one with 9s.

Blunoise

Hey guys. Finished Routes C, D and E a while ago. What a game.
Just did the same tonight. So are all the machines dead now, or are they free to do as the please? Also if the humans DNA is in the moon county they just recreate more replicants for them to he born?

Hastati

Finished this yesterday. I thought it was astonishingly good.

I really, really wish I could go to a concert, it looks like this was a one time thing? I hope they do it again, or publish the novellas. Do any of the scripts released so far take place after ending E?

I can't believe how much I miss this game after setting it down, although it's depressing it's a very captivating experience, and the game makes you feel very, very close to its tragic characters. Really excited for whatever else Yoko Taro does in the future.

Also thank you to those who posted the 2B flight log and additional information, there's a lot that's easy to miss.

Just did the same tonight. So are all the machines dead now, or are they free to do as the please? Also if the humans DNA is in the moon county they just recreate more replicants for them to he born?

According to the timeline from the official strategy guide, the remaining machines signed a peace treaty with the androids.

I think the DNA on the moon was only preserved for posterity - the means to create replicants was also lost after the events of the first game.

I really, really wish I could go to a concert, it looks like this was a one time thing? I hope they do it again, or publish the novellas. Do any of the scripts released so far take place after ending E?

There was a series of concerts and each had a different script performed. The last of the scripts was set after ending E.

Plum

So I just replayed a credits sequence to delete my save data because I felt bad about not doing it the first time...

...this been one of the best experiences I've had with a game since I first played Dark Souls. It's flawed, repetitive and the story is full of anime cheese but, damn, this is what games should strive to be.

Now time to pay £30 for a PS3 game in 2017 so I can play through NieR. I'll see if I can put my thoughts into more detail so I can make an LTTP on this (if it's not to early).

LotusHD

Banned
So I just replayed a credits sequence to delete my save data because I felt bad about not doing it the first time...

...this been one of the best experiences I've had with a game since I first played Dark Souls. It's flawed, repetitive and the story is full of anime cheese but, damn, this is what games should strive to be.

Now time to pay £30 for a PS3 game in 2017 so I can play through NieR. I'll see if I can put my thoughts into more detail so I can make an LTTP on this (if it's not to early).

LTTP on Automata? Someone did that like a week or two ago, so sure why not lol

Nier Automata's lore includes the contents of:
-a play called YorHa that had its first showing in 2014. This play covers A2's backstory and the event that caused her to defect from YorHa.
-a series of 5 concerts that featured a unique script for each one, voiced by the original VAs. Covers topics like the origin and creator of YorHa, A2's previous run ins with 2B and 9S before facing off in the Forest Kingdom, how 2B and 9S's relationship developed, etc.

The English VAs have only taken on the Concert Scripts. No word on there being an English production or reading of YorHa or anything, but Kyle and Kira did mention that they are willing to also read the novellas.

Sorry, if it's confusing.

Sooooooo, translations of some snippits and summaries of the strategy guide have been released by Merutan. A boatload of thanks for their hard work. Some theories/impressions:

2B's Side:
-2B is pragmatic, so she pretty much just summarizes stuff. Merutan even calls her narration straight up bland. I'm a little sad we don't get to see into her mind more, but I guess that's what the Memory Cage was for.

-But there are small asides that show just how much 9S means to her. Just him reacting to not having to call her Ma'am made her extremely happy. Seeing 9S injured by Adam made her livid, thinking she'll never forgive Adam for hurting him. (weh)

-2B not only suppresses her emotions because of her sense of duty, but also because she feels YorHa androids are inferior to humans even though they look like them, and thus don't deserve to express the same depth of feeling. That's...so sad.

9S's Side:
-On the other side, 9S is always pondering. Deep down, 9S knows he has good reasons to believe that Machine Lifeforms have emotions and a sense of self like humans and androids do, but recognizing that means accepting that what he and 2B are doing is wrong. So he's simultaneously grasping for reasons to maintain their status-quo while trying to understand the mindsets of the people he knows he should think of as enemies. In game, he flip-flops a lot between belittling the Machines and respecting them as people, and it looks like this mental tug-of-war is why.

-In the prologue, he saves 2B out of a sense of duty, but he also gets the inkling that self-sacrifice for 2B's sake is a good thing. This seems to tie into his previous lives as portrayed in Concert Script 1. In Concert Script 4 (I think), 9S was able to recite 2B's dialogue when she tries to tend to him in the Prologue pretty much perfectly when she herself gets injured. So, I still think he has impressions from previous lives in his subconscious or something like that. When reviewing the prologue, it turns out Pod 153 is actually in charge of wireless memory uploading, so whether or not he remembers anything after death seems to be on her.

-The strategy guide claims that 9S still contracted the Logic Virus during the Backdoor attack, but it seems to have grown within him slowly. I assume attaching 2B's arm to himself sped it up. I also guess that, even though he was able to halt the Backdoor update for 2B and himself, he wasn't able to get rid of it all and just slowed its growth, like how 2B was functional for a while at the beginning of C. Also, it was turning his brain to scrambled eggs by the end of the game, making managing his contradicting thoughts and intense emotions difficult. (I guess that effect is also why a lot of infected YorHa start giggling, etc.)

-His mentality is pretty nicely summarized in this passage:
We'll all be destroyed one day. We'll all die one day. So what's the point of treasuring anything?
”It doesn't matter. None of this matters!"
I was created to be abandoned. I was left to survive only to be destroyed in the end. And I stayed with her, to kill and be killed. Who should I blame? Who should I hate?
Those complicated and conflicting emotions and thoughts of someone caught between the gears are part of why I think going into 9S's mental space is interesting. Also, his name is derived from "Nein ist", so I guess it makes sense for his thought process to go completely nihilist.

-Also...9S IS A BIG, OL' SUB. IT'S CANON.

A2's Side:

-A2 is also a very interesting character. I already thought she was great 'cause of the YorHa stage play and Concert Script 3, but getting a window into her thoughts and motivations, even if they turned out to be selfish, makes me appreciate her character more.

-Even though running into Pascal and his village convinced her that Machine Lifeforms can be good, seeing the faces of her dead comrades when she fights Auguste is all the reason she needs to wipe him and Friedrich out.

-When hacking 9S in Ending C, A2 transferred the Logic Virus to herself. (By touching his face, I guess.) Looks like she planned to end the Logic Virus, the Machine Lifeforms and herself in one fell swoop. I didn't know just by looking at her, but upon reviewing ending C, it is suspicious that you don't see her eyes after she saves 9S and it does look like her eyes have a reddish tint to them when she looks to the sky at the end.

-A2 says "sorry" because she knows about the Machine's Lifeform's human potential and that they have created an Ark to escape the endless war, she still chooses to destroy the Ark and the Machine Network. Looks like she wanted to fulfill her personal duty to destroy all Machines and join her friends to the end, even if her understanding of Machine Lifeforms changed. So... even though it looked like A2 had her head screwed on tighter, her actions turned out to be as destructive as 9S's. She wanted to reunite with her dead friends, but she chose to destroy the Machines (humanity's heirs) rather the remnants of the human genome left on the moon. Same drive, different sacrifice.

-In this light, her surviving in ending E might actually be something she wouldn't want. :((((

Anyway, a full length novel is going to come out by the same person who did the Memory Cage/Thorn. I don't know how much else you can add from 9S's and A2's POVs, since we already have the concert scripts and this strategy guide...but I think 2B thoughts and feelings definitely needs more elaboration.

-The strategy guide claims that 9S still contracted the Logic Virus during the Backdoor attack, but it seems to have grown within him slowly. I assume attaching 2B's arm to himself sped it up. I also guess that, even though he was able to halt the Backdoor update for 2B and himself, he wasn't able to get rid of it all and just slowed its growth, like how 2B was functional for a while at the beginning of C. Also, it was turning his brain to scrambled eggs by the end of the game, making managing his contradicting thoughts and intense emotions difficult. (I guess that effect is also why a lot of infected YorHa start giggling, etc.)

Isn't it enough to say that they both got freshly infected when they were forced to back up and restore to the Bunker?

Isn't it enough to say that they both got freshly infected when they were forced to back up and restore to the Bunker?

9S says during the Bunker escape that he slowed down his and 2B's data sync because he noticed something was up with the server as an explanation why infection didn't effect them the same way. We don't have any other explanation for why the virus has a slower infection rate considering 2B and 9S. I was just pointing out 9S and 2B lasted so long because of hacker shenanigans.

Hastati

-a play called YorHa that had its first showing in 2014. This play covers A2's backstory and the event that caused her to defect from YorHa.
-a series of 5 concerts that featured a unique script for each one, voiced by the original VAs. Covers topics like the origin and creator of YorHa, A2's previous run ins with 2B and 9S before facing off in the Forest Kingdom, how 2B and 9S's relationship developed, etc.

The English VAs have only taken on the Concert Scripts. No word on there being an English production or reading of YorHa or anything, but Kyle and Kira did mention that they are willing to also read the novellas.

Sooooooo, translations of some snippits and summaries of the strategy guide have been released by Merutan. A boatload of thanks for their hard work. Some theories/impressions:

2B's Side:
-2B is pragmatic, so she pretty much just summarizes stuff. Merutan even calls her narration straight up bland. I'm a little sad we don't get to see into her mind more, but I guess that's what the Memory Cage was for.

-But there are small asides that show just how much 9S means to her. Just him reacting to not having to call her Ma'am made her extremely happy. Seeing 9S injured by Adam made her livid, thinking she'll never forgive Adam for hurting him. (weh)

-2B not only suppresses her emotions because of her sense of duty, but also because she feels YorHa androids are inferior to humans even though they look like them, and thus don't deserve to express the same depth of feeling. That's...so sad.

9S's Side:
-On the other side, 9S is always pondering. Deep down, 9S knows he has good reasons to believe that Machine Lifeforms have emotions and a sense of self like humans and androids do, but recognizing that means accepting that what he and 2B are doing is wrong. So he's simultaneously grasping for reasons to maintain their status-quo while trying to understand the mindsets of the people he knows he should think of as enemies. In game, he flip-flops a lot between belittling the Machines and respecting them as people, and it looks like this mental tug-of-war is why.

-In the prologue, he saves 2B out of a sense of duty, but he also gets the inkling that self-sacrifice for 2B's sake is a good thing. This seems to tie into his previous lives as portrayed in Concert Script 1. In Concert Script 4 (I think), 9S was able to recite 2B's dialogue when she tries to tend to him in the Prologue pretty much perfectly when she herself gets injured. So, I still think he has impressions from previous lives in his subconscious or something like that. When reviewing the prologue, it turns out Pod 153 is actually in charge of wireless memory uploading, so whether or not he remembers anything after death seems to be on her.

Those complicated and conflicting emotions and thoughts of someone caught between the gears are part of why I think going into 9S's mental space is interesting. Also, his name is derived from "Nein ist", so I guess it makes sense for his thought process to go completely nihilist.

A2's Side:

-A2 is also a very interesting character. I already thought she was great 'cause of the YorHa stage play and Concert Script 3, but getting a window into her thoughts and motivations, even if they turned out to be selfish, makes me appreciate her character more.

-Even though running into Pascal and his village convinced her that Machine Lifeforms can be good, seeing the faces of her dead comrades when she fights Auguste is all the reason she needs to wipe him and Friedrich out.

-When hacking 9S in Ending C, A2 transferred the Logic Virus to herself. (By touching his face, I guess.) Looks like she planned to end the Logic Virus, the Machine Lifeforms and herself in one fell swoop. I didn't know just by looking at her, but upon reviewing ending C, it is suspicious that you don't see her eyes after she saves 9S and it does look like her eyes have a reddish tint to them when she looks to the sky at the end.

-A2 says "sorry" because she knows about the Machine's Lifeform's human potential and that they have created an Ark to escape the endless war, she still chooses to destroy the Ark and the Machine Network. Looks like she wanted to fulfill her personal duty to destroy all Machines and join her friends to the end, even if her understanding of Machine Lifeforms changed. So... even though it looked like A2 had her head screwed on tighter, her actions turned out to be as destructive as 9S's. She wanted to reunite with her dead friends, but she chose to destroy the Machines (humanity's heirs) rather the remnants of the human genome left on the moon. Same drive, different sacrifice.

-In this light, her surviving in ending E might actually be something she wouldn't want. :((((

Anyway, a full length novel is going to come out by the same person who did the Memory Cage/Thorn. I don't know how much else you can add from 9S's and A2's POVs, since we already have the concert scripts and this strategy guide...but I think 2B thoughts and feelings definitely needs more elaboration.

This is great, thank you. 9S acting stupid and crazy in the last half makes more sense if he had already been suffering the effects of the virus for awhile.

Is A2 connected to 11B and the other B series that defected? And also White or whatever her name was in the Bunker? I thought while playing a second or third round that we would learn why they rebelled but as far as I can tell they were left to the side.

This is great, thank you. 9S acting stupid and crazy in the last half makes more sense if he had already been suffering the effects of the virus for awhile.

Is A2 connected to 11B and the other B series that defected? And also White or whatever her name was in the Bunker? I thought while playing a second or third round that we would learn why they rebelled but as far as I can tell they were left to the side.

The answers to all that are in the YoRHa stage play! You can read it here, when you have the time. It's a good bit of military drama with some cool twists.

You could also hunt down a recording online. One of the earlier showings was released on DVD, but the quality is quite poor, unfortunately.

Also, in order for things to not get too confusing, No. 2 in the play is our A2. In the lore, there is another character that goes by No.2 (the base personality program of the 2 series. She is A2's and 2B's predecessor.) , but they're a different person. Also, the 21 unit in the play is the predecessor of 21O/B, but the descendant of No.21 from Concert Script 2. Anemone is also present, and the play outlines how her and A2 make their acquaintance. Term Alpha and Beta are the Red Girls.

It uses some Drakenguard 3 tracks for backing music, which I think is neat. I would love a version that uses Automata's music and has the actors in full cosplay, though. Now that Automata put Yoko Taro on the map, maybe it'll happen one day...

Hastati

The answers to all that are in the YoRHa stage play! You can read it here, when you have the time. It's a good bit of military drama with some cool twists.

You could also hunt down a recording online. One of the earlier showings was released on DVD, but the quality is quite poor, unfortunately.

Also, in order for things to not get too confusing, No. 2 in the play is our A2. In the lore, there is another character that goes by No.2 (the base personality program of the 2 series. She is A2's and 2B's predecessor.) , but they're a different person. Also, the 21 unit in the play is the predecessor of 21O/B, but the descendant of No.21 from Concert Script 2. Anemone is also present, and the play outlines how her and A2 make their acquaintance. Term Alpha and Beta are the Red Girls.

It uses some Drakenguard 3 tracks for backing music, which I think is neat. I would love a version that uses Automata's music and has the actors in full cosplay, though. Now that Automata put Yoko Taro on the map, maybe it'll happen one day...
Oh, my bad, I'll go do some reading then. Thank you for the further details, it's interesting and nice that the writings focus a lot on A2.

The naming conventions are confusing, good to know. And yeah I reaaaaaally hope get more concerts and different media, the combo of Yoko Taro with Studio Monaca is godly.

Felt so bad for 21O....

Mubrik

2B's Side:

9S's Side:

A2's Side:

This! So much.
Before route c/d he's sometimes just flips in and Out, leaves me wondering and I just thought maybe cause 2b keeps him straight

Edit: can I restore backed up saves after I give it all up in game?

rubius01

This! So much.
Before route c/d he's sometimes just flips in and Out, leaves me wondering and I just thought maybe cause 2b keeps him straight

Edit: can I restore backed up saves after I give it all up in game?

Yes. I did that and it works just fine

Philippo

Sooooo, now that its been a while, i was wondering if someone has a mega summary of the game's plot and themes, the characters and their motivations, as well as all the little secrets and details here and there.
I have a few friends that are starting it now, so i'd love to help then having it all figured out.
Anything similar out there?

2B's Side:

9S's Side:

A2's Side:

Dude...
I still have to read the novellas and short stories as well as half of the concert scripts, but god damn i thought i was out of this spiral of sadness but no He keeps pulling me back in!

chekhonte

What's a used PS4 nier worth on gaf these days? I picked up the pc version and probably will never pop in the ps4 version again.

I really have no idea what to price it at.

Hylian7

I just finished Ending E...jesus. That's a lot to think about, and I'm still processing it.

The lyrics of Weight of the World make so much more sense now.

I actually feel bad for not saying yes to offering my help to strangers in the credits.

I wanted to know more about A2 and what caused her to defect from YorHa, but apparently there's other backstory material I read about above in this thread that explains that.

It's an ending I'm still thinking heavily about. For all I know the whole game would just happen all over again once the new 2B, 9S, and A2 are active.

LotusHD

Banned
I just finished Ending E...jesus. That's a lot to think about, and I'm still processing it.

I actually feel bad for not saying yes to offering my help to strangers in the credits.

I wanted to know more about A2 and what caused her to defect from YorHa, but apparently there's other backstory material I read about above in this thread that explains that.

It's an ending I'm still thinking heavily about. For all I know the whole game would just happen all over again once the new 2B, 9S, and A2 are active.

Here ya go: https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/wiki/lore

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I mean the exact ingredients to make the story repeat is gone so there's that, but our ability to repeat the same mistakes is something the game wants us to heavily reflect upon.

Your future is something you have to take.

Top Bottom