• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

PK Gaming

But it was having fun shooting balloons!

I'm a bad person and Undertale was wasted on me :x

i definitely feel some strong things about this game, but i think a lot of the impact of the question of the 'worth' of the robotic life v android life was blunted for me because i already thought philosophically largely along the lines of All Life Presenting As Life Is Worthy anyway (mixed with the metafiction of, well, also they're just characters in a game and all roughly equivalent in any event)

That nier still touched me despite all that is a really good testament to how strongly it is constructed and all comes together

I dunno man, when 6O talked about how her "life was over" because she got rejected when asking that one girl out, the androids immediately started veering too close to humans for me, haha.

That's a good outlook to have in general though.

Jintor

I think the game was more asking "What is humanity's worth, when we are presented by beings who are the supposed inheritors of our legacy."

it's fun the amount of questions you can draw from it. i thought it more along the lines of what is anybody's worth - what is worth in the first place? - what worth can you build or find for yourself even when all around you is constructed to take you in a certain direction?

many things to ponder in n:a

Jintor

I dunno man, when 6O talked about how her "life was over" because she got rejected when asking that one girl out, the androids immediately started veering too close to humans for me, haha.

That's a good outlook to have in general though.

i thought it was funny how convinced the androids were that they weren't human when they were effectively just slightly bizarre humans anyway

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
it's fun the amount of questions you can draw from it. i thought it more along the lines of what is anybody's worth - what is worth in the first place? - what worth can you build or find for yourself even when all around you is constructed to take you in a certain direction?

many things to ponder in n:a

Yeah, that too.

DVCY201

i definitely feel some strong things about this game, but i think a lot of the impact of the question of the 'worth' of the robotic life v android life was blunted for me because i already thought philosophically largely along the lines of All Life Presenting As Life Is Worthy anyway (mixed with the metafiction of, well, also they're just characters in a game and all roughly equivalent in any event)

That nier still touched me despite all that is a really good testament to how strongly it is constructed and all comes together

I agree. I've thought a lot about these types of questions, so it was blunted as well. I quite detest(ed) 9S for his actions and mindset. But what's there is strong. Route C-E is largely where it all comes together for me, with Route A and B being particularly weak and more or less laying the foundation of the questions it approaches. I wasn't even mad at Popola or Devola, I was happy to see them, so even that subversion didn't really do anything for me. It's rough that they're intentionally programmed to feel guilt.

I'm planning on playing again in the future because there's a LOT to digest, but I'm not too sure I'm sold on how Nier A presents its story.

DevilDog

There is just some much bad stuff in this game I don't know where to start.

Instead ill just say something good about it. I really liked how the story was revealed to be in the end. They really put some thought into it.

Also people killed non-hostile stuff? When will you learn that this is the cheapest way the devs are going to try to make you sad?

Joeku

Instead ill just say something good about it. I really liked how the story was revealed to be in the end. They really put some thought into it.

Also people killed non-hostile stuff? When will you learn that this is the cheapest way the devs are going to try to make you sad?

Maybe realizing that made it easier for them.

LotusHD

Banned

Huh, it's not really so much about feeling sad, at least for me. More like, it likes to take advantage of how our first instinct is to attack, so it creates an "Oh shit lol" moment when you learn you didn't have to attack enemies like the tank or Augustus.

Joeku

At a certain point the idea of "Yoko Taro is out to make you feel bad" had been so drilled into me that I went into the game looking for that. I don't think I ever attacked anything that wasn't aggressive towards me.

That's on me at a certain point.

Also I didn't give a shit about upgrading things all the way so I didn't care about resources that things dropped.

DevilDog

Huh, it's not really so much about feeling sad, at least for me. More like, it likes to take advantage of how our first instinct is to attack, so it creates an "Oh shit lol" moment when you learn you didn't have to attack enemies like the tank or Augustus.

But people knew you didn't have to attack, they just did it so it wouldn't be a problem later on.

Maybe realizing that made it easier for them.

I was so underleved because I didn't kill anything that I didn't have to. The game spawns a couple of hostile robots around the world, who constantly respawn. Violence towards them really makes no sense, apart from an XP standpoint, which is one of the reasons this game dissapointed me. I would have liked an undertale kind of system where I could do stuff without killing useless enemies.

Antiwhippy

But people knew you didn't have to attack, they just did it so it wouldn't be a problem later on.

I was so underleved because I didn't kill anything that I didn't have to. The game spawns a couple of hostile robots around the world, who constantly respawn. Violence towards them really makes no sense, apart from an XP standpoint, which is one of the reasons this game dissapointed me. I would have liked an undertale kind of system where I could do stuff without killing useless enemies.

Eh, you don't really get much XP from killing randos? I definitely just ran past things mostly. Side quests are where all the extra XP comes from other than the main story.

One thing that never quite squared for me is how, in the main quest, 9S insists that machines are just mindless drones, but in side-quests, he does display a degree of compassion and friendliness towards machines, and will speak of them like they're thinking, feeling beings.

Is there an explanation for his inconsistent treatment of machines?

Mariip

Oh lol, I meant that beating the game put that line in a new light, with the whole being forced to kill 9S and what not.

The embarrassment line was awesome.
Oh, yeah it did change the meaning of that in a nice way
So real talk and this might sound like hyperbolic fandom but those words pulled me out of depression and made me take hold of my life. Seriously I needed the framing, I needed the framing to justify my own failures and existence. Even if I wasn't in love with the stories or the characters, that line literally saved me. I have problems with Nier automata, like I think the gameplay is too simplistic and not every story beat works as intended for me... but every nitpick I have doesn't matter in the slightest.

Even as a fan of the original, who really heavily connected to the character of Emil. It was just masterful, everything about Automata from a creative perspective is just so masterful.
i understand the feeling, that game is really helping me stand with my own two feet, it's a really sad and dramatic game but it fills me with hope too
i like the "only one girl" part, it showed that 2B is aactualy has similarity with a human girl, fall in love with 9s and all of that

i love that 'the truth is that i'm only one girl' line tbh
I'm a woman, i find that line cheesy because 2B is so strong i didn't want her to think of herself as if it is a bad thing, girls can be awesome too you know? But here "girl" means things like "fragile" and "in love with a guy" and i, personally don't like that way of reading the word....But i do get why the line was there, she's a strong soldier but she's also hopelessly in love, It's just my internal hardcore feminist nitpicking, she didn't make me drop this game at least, but i can't turn my mind off for that stuff completely(i've also disabled self destruct and find that 2B's skirt being ripped in ending A/B was unnecessary and pretty distracting :p)
How many people here didn't know that they didn't have to kill the amusement park tank?
I can't refuse killing that tank when Nines ask me to do it :(
I didn't kill it on route B tho

Lothar

Banned
Damn straight we did. I only watched the first game, but I'm completely hip. When I first came across Devola and Popola, my first instinct was to give them a nasty look, well aware of what the models in the first game did.

After all, surely they were up to no good.

I believe the hate and distrust I had for them was so strong that I may have actually deluded myself into believing that that ominous music (The one that plays when the quest takes a dark turn or twist, Color of Depression) played after completing one of their sidequests. Because I've looked for all the quests related to them, and beat the game and its sidequests twice, and I just can't find it. So yea... that happened.

I never thought they were up to no good. Because weren't they trying to save humanity in the first game? They were a boss fight but if they had beaten you, humanity would have been saved. The worse thing they did was helping the player out for too long in Nier 1.

PK Gaming

One thing that never quite squared for me is how, in the main quest, 9S insists that machines are just mindless drones, but in side-quests, he does display a degree of compassion and friendliness towards machines, and will speak of them like they're thinking, feeling beings.

Is there an explanation for his inconsistent treatment of machines?

He's conflicted about machines in the main quest as well

Story snippets from the official strategy guide:

Chapter 3

• He tries to rationalize it as ‘the machines are mimicking androids (as opposed to humans) because there's strategic value in mimicking your enemies', hence his somewhat guided question towards 2B asking her why the machines are trying to mimic androids.
  • The whole thing still weighs heavy on his mind even when 2B tells him there's no point in thinking about things you won't understand, but his natural curiosity and desire to understand everything lead him to keep thinking even if he knows he's following a trail of thought he should be abandoning.

Chapter 4

• The insights you get into the machine lifeform's pasts on route B are all memories that 9S sees when he hacks the enemy. In this particular case he sees everything that lead to Beauvoir going mad with the desire to be beautiful, all so she can be noticed by the man she loves.
  • 9S is still trying to write it off as machines fooling around with mimicking love instead of having real emotions, but he's not sure how convinced he is anymore.

Chapter 6

• 9S on the flashbacks of the forest machine lifeforms:
  • I don't understand. I don't understand this foolishness that prompts these creatures to care for a small robot with a metal body that won't grow in hundreds of years. The same foolishness that leads them to wait for it to grow up, to fight and put their lives on the line.
  • Why are you all so ridiculous?
  • Why are you all so dedicated?
  • Why are you all...
  • Unlike us...
  • What were you betrayed by? What do you believe in? And why do you keep fighting? ...former YoRHa squad unit, Attacker No.2...A2.

In other words, it's complicated. His natural friendliness makes it easy for him to talk to non-hostile machines though, but don't mistake that for genuine compassion; he still looks down on machines, and he doesn't make a concerted effort to truly understand them.

Antiwhippy

I never really read the only one girl line as a girl being lonely in love or whatever. Adam and eve themselves are a deconstruction of that trope really.

I mean the story is pretty much just about the burden of existing alone in a way.

Jintor

I'm a woman, i find that line cheesy because 2B is so strong i didn't want her to think of herself as if it is a bad thing, girls can be awesome too you know? But here "girl" means things like "fragile" and "in love with a guy" and i, personally don't like that way of reading the word....But i do get why the line was there, she's a strong soldier but she's also hopelessly in love, It's just my internal hardcore feminist nitpicking, she didn't make me drop this game at least, but i can't turn my mind off for that stuff completely(i've also disabled self destruct and find that 2B's skirt being ripped in ending A/B was unnecessary and pretty distracting :p)

i took it more as focusing on the 'only one', i.e. i'm only a single person to stand up to all of this bs

broz0rs

Holy shit.. the game actually deleted my save file. I was adamant to play this game without reading guides or ask too many questions. So when I reached the point where the pod was directly asking me if I wanted to sacrifice myself to save other players, i thought why not? I had no clue the game would wipe out literally everything lol. 40 hours gone, but I'm not too salty about it because the game was so good.

Mariip

i took it more as focusing on the 'only one', i.e. i'm only a single person to stand up to all of this bs
I would focus on that if the singer enphasized the "one" part, but when she goes like "giiiiirl" my mind shifts to girl, i mean i really get the meaning of the phrase and i like to read it like this too but it's a thing i cant switch off when sang like this ;--;
Holy shit.. the game actually deleted my save file. I was adamant to play this game without reading guides or ask too many questions. So when I reached the point where the pod was directly asking me if I wanted to sacrifice myself to save other players, i thought why not? I had no clue the game would wipe out literally everything lol. 40 hours gone, but I'm not too salty about it because the game was so good.
As someone who had to use other people's help to finish it I'd like to say thank you. And i'm glad you enjoyed the game :)

PK Gaming

DDr7z6dVYAAyv6c.jpg

It always ends like this

Adaren

This is how I interpreted it as well. Individually, you're powerless to stop the immeasurable amount of suffering that happens in the world, no matter how hard you try. But if you can find other people who are also willing to do whatever it takes to create a better world, then you can work together to do what you would be powerless to do alone.

Basically, the song is describing the struggle going on during the credits of Ending E. I thought it was an incredibly beautiful experience. (I feel like such a dweeb typing that out, but it's true lol)

Joeku

Given that she's there, one of the 2Bs is probably the actual voice actress who played her in English.

So that's pretty good.

Omg, that's awesome!

Lol
Thinking about it now...why the hell does A2 cuts her hair anyway?
It's symbolic for a change in character. I guess because you get to control her immediately after and that she has 2B's memories.

I also think it could have been a clever way of tricking people who watched the trailers and preview into thinking that she was 2B since they also have the same face.

PK Gaming

Omg, that's awesome!

Lol
Thinking about it now...why the hell does A2 cuts her hair anyway?

"It's her way of paying tribute to a unit which had the same type of personality data (type 2)"

—Yoko Taro

Symbolically, she takes over 2B's place in the story and acts as a proxy for her.

I also think it could have been a clever way of tricking people who watched the trailers and preview into thinking that she was 2B since they also have the same face.

Definitely this as well

Mariip

"It’s her way of paying tribute to a unit which had the same type of personality data (type 2)"

—Yoko Taro

Symbolically, she takes over 2B's place in the story and acts as a proxy for her.

Definitely this as well

It's symbolic for a change in character. I guess because you get to control her immediately after and that she has 2B's memories.

Thanks, i love it how from 9S's point of view that kind of thing can look insulting as hell too

broz0rs

Can someone please explain or provide me a link with an explanation of ending E?

I think I was too shook from playing the equivalent of Ikaruga at four in the morning to really digest the cut scene. Was A2 dead or just resting in that building?

Renewed

Kira's Twitter gives me life, holy crap that's amazing

Can someone please explain or provide me a link with an explanation of ending E?

I think I was too shook from playing the equivalent of Ikaruga at four in the morning to really digest the cut scene. Was A2 dead or just resting in that building?

Basically the Pods gathered parts to repair the 3 of them and with the personal data recovered, should be able to live on. Although it could end up terrible as they just repeat their actions and doom themselves. I think there was a concert script that had some events for Post Ending E.

My brother. I just went through the same experience. ~70 hours gone before my very eyes. Ayy LMAO. I was looking forward to replaying using the bad ass armor, guess not. Feels bad, man.

Pod directly says it's going to delete your data, at that point I said NO because fuck it I still have swords to upgrade. I then felt a bit like shit and wondered if that's what Taro wanted me to feel by offering that decision knowing damn well people would refuse it for the petty reasons I did lol.

Top Bottom