• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
That intro kicked my ass for 2:30hrs!

After reaching an open world with now multiple save points, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS GAME!!!

Was not expecting it to go this direction, man I'm having such a blast.

I do have one question, is there anyway to reverse the visual effects of self destructing? I love it's functionality, but would rather keep her clothed for the most part.

you can turn it off. and you can buy a dress modification item to bring back your characters clothes

Raybunny

Surely got mentioned but just finished the 1st encounter with Adam and Eve on the Alien Bubble facility playing as 9s ( second playthrough) and noticed an hologram of a girl right at the cutscene when they disappear. Intriguing.

Jiraiza

That intro kicked my ass for 2:30hrs!

After reaching an open world with now multiple save points, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS GAME!!!

Was not expecting it to go this direction, man I'm having such a blast.

I do have one question, is there anyway to reverse the visual effects of self destructing? I love it's functionality, but would rather keep her clothed for the most part.

Going back to the Bunker can restore your clothes.

Though my biggest question for you is why you're hanging out in the spoiler thread and not the OT. I mean, if you want to traverse the minefield that is this thread that badly, I won't stop you.

nOoblet16

Surely got mentioned but just finished the 1st encounter with Adam and Eve on the Alien Bubble facility playing as 9s ( second playthrough) and noticed an hologram of a girl right at the cutscene when they disappear. Intriguing.

You know nothing Jon Snow

partime

Going back to the Bunker can restore your clothes.

Though my biggest question for you is why you're hanging out in the spoiler thread and not the OT. I mean, if you want to traverse the minefield that is this thread that badly, I won't stop you.

I'm only looking for thread replies! Thanks for the quick response guys.

Finished up all of the quests and endings today, still basking in the afterglow. What a great game.

I'm still taking it all in but my intial thoughts are that Automata is a much better game, but Nier has a slightly better story. Automata had more poignant moments but Nier had multiple mind blowing endings. I'll echo what someone said earlier in the thread in that Taro seems to be growing as a writer though.

Eumi

Reading this thread, can someone explain what exactly people mean by 'loops'?

Do the exact same events repeat, or do they just mean the war getting to a point where one can win and then they prevent themselves from doing so?

Inuhanyou

Do the exact same events repeat, or do they just mean the war getting to a point where one can win and then they prevent themselves from doing so?

the latter.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

There has been 14 wars between the androids and machines which can be somehow believed to be a loop. This example of the loop also comes when the machines have their community that constantly ends up destroyed but when more come the same thing happens over and over again as things go by. 2B also killing 9S many times lead to believe there is some loop to it since they reset 9S plenty of times. This loop doesn't necessarily means all the events happen 100% the same all the time but always end with the same results even with the evolution that has happened from either side.

Inuhanyou

There has been 14 wars between the androids and machines which can be somehow believed to be a loop. This example of the loop also comes when the machines have their community that constantly ends up destroyed but when more come the same thing happens over and over again as things go by. 2B also killing 9S many times lead to believe there is some loop to it since they reset 9S plenty of times. This loop doesn't necessarily means all the events happen 100% the same all the time but always end with the same results even with the evolution that has happened from either side.

That loop happend in the 14th machine war, he's figured stuff out so many times. It doesn't mean its a loop that precedes other machine wars.

Eumi

the latter.
Yeah, rereading some posts I have to disagree with the people saying YoRHa is a loop itself. YoRHa is a fairly recent creation, designed to give the androids on the surface a reason to fight, and therefore live.

The androids are all bound by programming, so short of culling them from existence and building new ones, there's no way to have the androids not all go insane and kill themselves than to have them keep fighting. They're programmed to obey humanity, but humanity no longer exists, so the only reason they have to continue living is the war with the machines.

If they lose that, they all die and earth is lost to the machines.

If they win, androids discover the truth about the human race and lose all moral and reason to live, due to not really being able to create new reasons to exist for themselves (like how 2B hates killing 9S, but can't actually stop).

Which in turn makes the ending as much of a downer as Nier's, now that I think about it. It's almost guaranteed that the androids, having lost their will to fight once more, will eventually all get themselves killed.

But I suppose that's why the pods were talking about how the future can change. It's not set in stone that androids will fail this time.

There's macro and micro-loops of various scales implied within the story/setting. There's no 'one single loop', it is a series of different situations that feed into the broader narrative.

2E/9S is the story's smallest micro-loop of a repeated cycle of 2E being forced to kill 9S over and over, with the memories of his discovery of the truth deleted each time.

Project YoHRa is implied to be its first iteration of the loop, but fundamentally it was designed to be an eternal loop that perpetuates the cycle of machine/android war forever to maintain the eternal illusion that humanity is alive at the moon.

Within the lore of the game's setting, it has been brought up multiple times, the notion that machines have undergone repeated iterations of the fall and rise of their societies, each time repeating the same mistakes over and over. And with the setting being the 14th war between androids/machines.

There are clear implications that at a fundamental level, machines and androids are trapped within the cycle of destruction as they both perpetuate their personal values and reason for existing, and their inability to escape that dooms their future.

Eumi

I just realised 9S's sexual and romantic attraction to 2B is probably just there to get him to trust her. So she can more easily kill him.

It would explain why a robot was even given sexual desire.

I really want to play Nier now but I don't think I can go through playing what is at its core a bad playing game.

It has bad combat, not gameplay.

I had alot more fun playing nier that automata, theres loads of variety, bosses are good and the dialogue during gameplay was always super entertaining.
The core combat loop isnt that different in nier, you use your book(POD) fire and special abilities and hit shit, except the hitting part is super basic. (Like a handfull of moves per weapon)

It has bad combat, not gameplay.

I had alot more fun playing nier that automata, theres loads of variety, bosses are good and the dialogue during gameplay was always super entertaining.
The core combat loop isnt that different in nier, you use your book(POD) fire and special abilities and hit shit, except the hitting part is super basic. (Like a handfull of moves per weapon)

I don't even really think the combat in the first NieR is bad, even. It's completely serviceable.
I agree with these. I even thought the DLC was
fun.

Slater

Banned
So for people wondering, yeah the androids have sex parts, 9S has a modeled bulge in his exploded boy shorts.

Maybe there creators felt bad for Yorha being doomed and decided it was only fair to let them fuck.

Edit: Actually now that I think about it, the whole point of Yorha and the constant war besides giving them meaning is to grow and get closer to humanity by becoming more like them.

It makes sense that they would start making androids capable of sex.

Project YoHRa is implied to be its first iteration of the loop, but fundamentally it was designed to be an eternal loop that perpetuates the cycle of machine/android war forever to maintain the eternal illusion that humanity is alive at the moon.
There are clear implications that at a fundamental level, machines and androids are trapped within the cycle of destruction as they both perpetuate their personal values and reason for existing, and their inability to escape that dooms their future.

My interpretation of Yorha is the exact opposite, it was made to cement the lie that humanity was still around. If Yorha, or something like it, is ever made again then it runs the risk that the next 9s (not him specifically mind) that discovers the truth might tell all the androids on the surface. If Yorha doesn't exist anymore there's no one who can confirm that all the humans are gone. Obviously though suspicions will be raised over a long period of time about how the humans are still alive up there without Yorha support + the fact they never show up.

As for the second point I quoted, I think the main part of 2A's story is about how even the most 'bloodthirsty' of Androids can learn to care for machines if given the right catalyst. The ending might not leaving everything hunky-dory, but it does leave all our main characters much wiser and closer together than they were at the beginning of the story. And if you have a scrap of hope & people you care about at your side, you can accomplish a hell of a lot.

I just realised 9S's sexual and romantic attraction to 2B is probably just there to get him to trust her. So she can more easily kill him.

Maybe? But if you talk to a lot of the other androids on the Bunker, you'll notice quite a few of them talk about boyfriends/girlfriends/other androids they think are cute. A lot of the surface androids talk about relationships too. Even if humans didn't implant sexual desire into the androids (which judging by how we dressed them we might well have done) they have certainly developed it on their own independently. And 2B is crazy hot so I don't think there's any conspiracy there with 9S.

All in all it seems clear to me that Androids were designed with a dual purpose of being both our caretakers, and our potential successors. They possess most, if not all, of our strengths and weaknesses and quirks, despite almost certainly not needing them to do their jobs. That's at least how I interpreted it using what little we have to go on from the humans of this universe, if they couldn't save themselves at least they could secure a legacy with their 'children'.

Jiraiza

That doesn't quite hold any water when 9S goes nuclear after she dies. That, and the whole machines gaining sentience theme going on. It's not far-fetched to say the romantic attraction is indeed genuine by human standards. One mustn't forget about Jackass' research, either.

Can anyone resolve who the song the weight of the world is being sung from. I say A2 but friend is arguing it's nothing specific.
There are three vocal tracks and three protagonists, so I think it could be all three of them singing it together.

Was there any decent plot in that dlc, or was it just arenas? I never gave it a shot.
It's more atmospheric than it has any right to be, and it has some Drakengard 1 fanservice text blurbs.

Inuhanyou

We also have to remember that androids form their own emotions just as machines do, they were not just programmed to have them. Like Replicants they grew their own beings

Weiss

Banned

The way I view it is that all sapient beings in the NieRverse will inevitably grow towards sentience. We see this with the Replicants, the Machines, the Androids (Devola/Popola as well as YoRHa), and the Pods.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
One of my fav small stories was opera bot and the pursuit of beauty. I really thought it was made this way from the beginning but the back story shed such a great light on her design and gave such cool context to it. Starting out as one of the normal standard bots and the constant modification into the elaborate thing it viewed as beauty. Also the message behind it while not original or anything was appreciated.

While not the most fun/enjoyable game I played this year so far I think Nier:A has been the most interesting. There are so many statements made in the game for those that bother to look and ponder on the things that happen it's just really nice to have a game with such a distinct voice shining through.

Eumi

The way I view it is that all sapient beings in the NieRverse will inevitably grow towards sentience. We see this with the Replicants, the Machines, the Androids (Devola/Popola as well as YoRHa), and the Pods.
Yeah, seems a lot of people disagree on me here.

Both outcomes are interesting, and the ambiguity of this stuff is kinda the point.

I'm just gonna dull the pain by looking up cute fan art.

Jiraiza

Yeah, seems a lot of people disagree on me here.

Both outcomes are interesting, and the ambiguity of this stuff is kinda the point.

I'm just gonna dull the pain by looking up cute fan art.

Can't go wrong with 2B9S art. Phew, my blood pressure is rising.

What about the Drakengard games? Are the soundtracks better or worse than Nier 1?

Oh boy. If you're gonna hear the soundtrack of the first Drakengard, be prepared. Not sure if I could definitely say that that is even music. (I don't mean that in a negative way)

If I had to describe it with one word it would be: Unsettling.

Hektor

What about the Drakengard games? Are the soundtracks better or worse than Nier 1?

Drakengard 3's Soundtrack ranges between borefest, awesome electro rock and some really amazing tracks like these

Drakengard 1's OST is awesome in what it's doing, that is, being hectic, experimental disturbing stuf, which is certainly not to the taste of everybody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et8Rw01LvzI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke7FZz0DHQU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2musgrIYUg

Wagram

Drakengard 3 has a lot of good tracks, but the overall consistency isn't the same as Nier or Automata. I highly recommend D3's OST though. The Silence is Mine and the Final Boss theme are arguably as good as the best in Automata.

addik

copyright issues

I better go back and see if they bleeped it out in the Asian copy as well. It still says Beauvoir during the Final Boss so I'm hoping they only bleeped it out for the US/European copies (Sorry, West)

One of my fav small stories was opera bot and the pursuit of beauty. I really thought it was made this way from the beginning but the back story shed such a great light on her design and gave such cool context to it. Starting out as one of the normal standard bots and the constant modification into the elaborate thing it viewed as beauty. Also the message behind it while not original or anything was appreciated.

While not the most fun/enjoyable game I played this year so far I think Nier:A has been the most interesting. There are so many statements made in the game for those that bother to look and ponder on the things that happen it's just really nice to have a game with such a distinct voice shining through.

Actually, this is what I feel about the themes that Nier: Automata tackled, especially when it comes to what the Ending E was about in context to what it means to be human (to be able to do kindness despite our natural instincts). In paper it might not see like it, but actually receiving an act of kindness from a stranger and realizing what that stranger had to sacrifice to help you actually makes the message come across more poignantly.

Drakengard's soundtrack is a horrific cacophany of dissonance and loud noises, but it is perfect.

Drakengard 3 has some of the most beautiful and listenable tracks in the series, but it also has a bunch of electronic music that kind of channels D1's madness. I'm not a big fan of most of the electronic tracks though.

True Fire

Drakengard soundtracks are difficult to describe. They make you sad, scared, and angry all at the same time. They're chaotic and sloppy. I'm sure they'll be considered a masterpiece in 200 years.

I started piecing earlier stuff together, with my current knowledge of 2E and her role and personal feelings towards 9S and vice versa, and then listened to The Weight of the World from her perspective.

And I'm emotionally a wreck right now. Goddammit Taro, this is too cruel/sad :(

Jiraiza

I started piecing earlier stuff together, with my current knowledge of 2E and her role and personal feelings towards 9S and vice versa, and then listened to The Weight of the World from her perspective.

And I'm emotionally a wreck right now. Goddammit Taro, this is too cruel/sad :(

Cue the "2B had a hard life" compilation image.

Edit: I'll do it.

Wr1zikU.png

Eheheheee ehehehe, time to cry myself to sleep.

I was doing some side quests I missed as 9S and I did the Amnesia quest. Huh, they laid down that E-type YoRHa thing pretty early compared to when it actually comes up in the story. Wish I had done that quest before finishing the game, would have been neat.

Top Bottom