• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

I see, thanks for answering.

And another question, I've found 2 or 3 places where a robot was kneeling, denying me entrance and self-destrtucting, on what NG will I be able to enter those sealed doors?

None. Doesn't seem to have any purpose at the moment other than potential dlc or just taro trolling. Think it's the latter for now.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What about the Drakengard games? Are the soundtracks better or worse than Nier 1?

As other have said, Drakengard 3 is half average half awesome, Drakengard 1 is excellent but its not for everybody, it fits the tone of the game 100%. Drakengard 2...well Kari Wahlgren sung an excellent remix of growing wings/tsukiru

Slater

Banned
And what about 6O for 2b. That girl had her whole redemption arc getting over her tragic romance. Jackass is the best though. The report she writes about the machines at the end puts her on top.

Uh, how is it a redemption arc? What is she redeeming? Her lack of ability to get laid?

Weiss

Banned
So is the Emil in this game another clone or is he the real deal Emil?

Because if so I think I'm going to riot if they actually killed him off.

Inuhanyou

So is the Emil in this game another clone or is he the real deal Emil?

Because if so I think I'm going to riot if they actually killed him off.

clone. We don't actually know where the real emil is, he disappeared a long time ago, his clones don't know where he went.

Its been a very harsh time for real emil. He's been alive almost since the time all of this shit started, since before the time of the hamelin organization. I wanna say maybe 2014? That was just a year after WCS broke out

Inuhanyou

Yeah, definitely not something you'll hum to yourself. Unless you're indiscriminately murdering half your neighborhood and losing your grip on reality.

i hum thirteenth song occasionally to myself because i've heard it so many times i get PTSD flashbacks. Suddenly I'll.Hear.A.Sound. and start trying to tear my hair out.

It got me pretty good when I learned that the cultists weren't really seeking godhood so much as unity in death. Confined to their metal shells, they are eternally separate as individuals, but in death, they can become as one.

Maybe that wasn't oil inside them, but Tang.

Kthulhu

Just for ending E. Best credits sequence ever.

I can't believe you can buy fucking trophies from an NPC lol.

I doubt this will be my GOTY, but it's certainly one of the best games I've ever played.

Taro you god damn madman, you and Platinum have made me a fan.

Peroroncino

None. Doesn't seem to have any purpose at the moment other than potential dlc or just taro trolling. Think it's the latter for now.

Hmm, that's weird, the Masamune blacksmith told me something about 4 sealed crypts with weapons, I figured he was talking about those.

Hmm, that's weird, the Masamune blacksmith told me something about 4 sealed crypts with weapons, I figured he was talking about those.

There are only 3 of the doors with apologetic guy in front of them. Since he mentions the white sword is one of the four, it seems to be implied that the weak and heavy swords (oath and treaty) are the swords he is referring to.

There are a few hidden behind doors and worshiped at shrines but there are no similarities between them actually ,Cruel Blood Oath, Cruel Arrogance and Virtuous Dignity, have a theme I guess.

Just for ending E. Best credits sequence ever.

I can't believe you can buy fucking trophies from an NPC lol.

I doubt this will be my GOTY, but it's certainly one of the best games I've ever played.

Taro you god damn madman, you and Platinum have made me a fan.

Welcome to the light. If you're only now a fan, then you should give the original Nier a whirl. It isn't as polished, but it's just as amazing.

Kthulhu

Welcome to the light. If you're only now a fan, then you should give the original Nier a whirl. It isn't as polished, but it's just as amazing.

TBH from the reading up I did prior to playing, Drakenguard 1 & 3 sound far more interesting. I already watched an LP and several in depth analysis of Nier, so I'm not really that interested in playing it.

Samikaze

Yo post memory wiped Pascal selling dead kid parts got me fucked up. That shit dark.

I missed out on this. I played Route C in the worst order.
A2, 9S, 9S, A2.

I feel I missed out on a lot of stuff.
I'm debating on doing it all over again or just joining my friends on Ghost Recon for a bit.

TBH from the reading up I did prior to playing, Drakenguard 1 & 3 sound far more interesting. I already watched an LP and several in depth analysis of Nier, so I'm not really that interested in playing it.

After playing all three of those games for the first time this year, I'd suggest playing any/all of them. But Nier was by far the most powerful. It's the one I'll be thinking about years from now.

Edit: missed that you watched an LP. Check out the Drakengard games, they're cool.

You're covered, then.

Drakengard is Taro's most distinct and out there game by a wide margin. It makes Automata look sterile by comparison.

It fucked me up pretty good as a teenager, and I didn't even get the final ending.

Kthulhu

After playing all three of those games for the first time this year, I'd suggest playing any/all of them. But Nier was by far the most powerful. It's the one I'll be thinking about years from now.

I was able to convince two of my friends and one of co workers to get Nier Automata at a later date after explaining Nier to them and showing them some combat from Automata.

It's a shame this franchise doesn't have more exposure. Hopefully the reception to Automata and if Platinum returns to work on future titles then they can get it to gain popularity.

You're covered, then.

Drakengard is Taro's most distinct and out there game by a wide margin. It makes Automata look sterile by comparison.

It fucked me up pretty good as a teenager, and I didn't even get the final ending.

I particularly liked the bit in 3 I saw where the Intoner's song transitions into the boss theme. I love stuff like that.

I particularly liked the bit in 3 I saw where the Intoner's song transitions into the boss theme. I love stuff like that.

My personal opinion is that D3 was amazing and one of my favorite gaming experiences, but its development was a complete trainwreck, and many fans of Taro's other games have hate D3.

If you can get into it, though, it is a hell of a ride.

Currently going through hell to format a USB drive so I safely get Ending E.

Really tempted to just screw over my 33 hr save file. I love you Taro and how you used the save mechanic in the narrative but goddamn this is a pain in the ass.

My personal opinion is that D3 was amazing and one of my favorite gaming experiences, but its development was a complete trainwreck, and many fans of Taro's other games have hate D3.

If you can get into it, though, it is a hell of a ride.

I really like a lot of stuff that game did and was trying to do. But I feel like the writing was more hit and miss for me than Taro's other games. Especially the humor, which is definitely subjective.
Drakengard 3 spoilers
Maybe if I was really in tune with japenese pop idol culture, it would have impacted me more.

I really like a lot of stuff that game did and was trying to do. But I feel like the writing was more hit and miss for me than Taro's other games. Especially the humor, which is definitely subjective.
Drakengard 3 spoilers
Maybe if I was really in tune with japenese pop idol culture, it would have impacted me more.

I enjoyed most of the humor that wasn't just [Decadus masochism joke #1-999], but it's easy to see why others wouldn't, and the whole thing feels unbelievably rushed, to the point of being disjointed.

Ultimately, I think Okabe does a lot of the heavylifting. The home base / loading screen theme and campfire theme are overflowing with atmosphere. Just sitting in the barebones, bottom of the barrel home base interface makes me shiver.

I suppose it's fitting for a game where music is so central to the world and characters.

Finished A-E. Man this game got me harder than Ending D in Nier.

So what happens to Pascal if you just leave him without wiping his memories/killing him?

Inuhanyou

Finished A-E. Man this game got me harder than Ending D in Nier.

So what happens to Pascal if you just leave him without wiping his memories/killing him?

i've heard from others that he still sells the parts, just insane

cant verify this as i chose to delete memories

*EDIT*

Nightshift answered. I guess he tries to commit suicide himself

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
He disappears after that scene.

Yeah it's pretty brutal. I was super tired and I was like.... I just can't do either of those things (kill or wipe) then as you walk out Pascal says something like "How could you?!?" But it's already too late the door closes behind you and you feel like a horrible person

framara

Neo Member
what does A2 mean when she says at the end of route C/D that 2B is tired of killing 9S over and over, that she can't do it anymore? I think I didn't get that part. Is there some kind of loop?

OniBaka

what does A2 mean when she says at the end of route C/D that 2B is tired of killing 9S over and over, that she can't do it anymore? I think I didn't get that part. Is there some kind of loop?
2b had been killing 9s and wiping his memory for 3 years if he found out too much about yorha.

framara

Neo Member
2b had been killing 9s and wiping his memory for 3 years if he found out too much about yorha.

oh thanks, i missed that part. I knew that 9S was "too smart" and eventually would find out the truth, but didn't get the part of B2 killing him over and over.

Inuhanyou

Is it just me who loves that A2 is the one who is basically throwing all this at 9S? She would know better than anyone what 2B wanted and what she thought, but 9S was too far gone to even realize that she was essentially 2B at that point.

I just can't get over that...your introduced to A2 as this cold hearted deserter, but...through 2B's interference, she just begins to thaw so much faster

framara

Neo Member
also, what does imply that 2B is actualy 2E? (becuase there's something like that on a note in the C/D run right?)

edit: ok, i got it. E (Executioner), so it is related to my previous question.

Pascal fucks me up more than almost anything in the game. 2B being a decoy protag wasfucked but I didn't really feel as bad as I should have until the reveal. then I felt super bad to her, and I could relate to her a lot more tbh. Pascal though..God I just didn't want to do it, but I figured if I just walked out he would either kill himself reconnect to the network, so I wiped him but. Ugh

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
also, what does imply that 2B is actualy 2E? (becuase there's something like that on a note in the C/D run right?)

edit: ok, i got it. E (Executioner), so it is related to my previous question.

There's also a side quest earlier in the game where you investigate a murder only to discover the person who asked you to investigate was an E type unit that wiped its memory after having killed so many of their friends. This introduces the idea of the E units much earlier if you come across it

Top Bottom