• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

There's also a side quest earlier in the game where you investigate a murder only to discover the person who asked you to investigate was an E type unit that wiped its memory after having killed so many of their friends. This introduces the idea of the E units much earlier if you come across it

2B's dialogue in that quest also hints at it. 9S ponders the existence of such a unit and 2B's response was "Some things are best left unknown"

Pascal fucks me up more than almost anything in the game. 2B being a decoy protag wasfucked but I didn't really feel as bad as I should have until the reveal. then I felt super bad to her, and I could relate to her a lot more tbh. Pascal though..God I just didn't want to do it, but I figured if I just walked out he would either kill himself reconnect to the network, so I wiped him but. Ugh

Did you do the right thing? OH wait it's a Yoko Taro game.

And 2B. that's 4chan collage of 2B had a hard life is absolutely on the money.

framara

Neo Member
There's also a side quest earlier in the game where you investigate a murder only to discover the person who asked you to investigate was an E type unit that wiped its memory after having killed so many of their friends. This introduces the idea of the E units much earlier if you come across it

oh, i remember that now. As you said, I shall probably replay the whole game again and maybe plat it.

Would have loved such a thread for NieR. Cannot believe that people won't play this masterpiece.

Well see the Taro thread and all the misinformation in there due to peoples crusades and bias.

Unfortunately I'm a junior or I would post such a topic. NieR deserves it

It would be cool if Pascal ever appeared in a future game becoming the new Emil. Maybe the one that disapprared after you don't reset his memories or kill him.

Pundere

Something has kinda been bothering me: The 'special prize' 9S gets in the tower is the knowledge that YoRHa is designed to fail. I'm pretty sure this is where you get the YoRHa Disposal file, implying that he reads it and reacts accordingly.

Problem is that in the second Resource Collector one of the chests you hack has the Black Box file... which includes, almost word for word, the text from the YoRHa Disposal file with the black box bit as a footnote. 9S even comments on the origins of black boxes, meaning he would've had to read past the same info he later loses his shit over.

Am I missing something or is this just a weird continuity oversight?

Squire

Banned
oh thanks, i missed that part. I knew that 9S was "too smart" and eventually would find out the truth, but didn't get the part of B2 killing him over and over.

I think the specifics of it should be noted too given how much more tragic they make it. Route A/B is them beating the loop for once, since 9S figured out he could use the machine network to save his consciousness for once. The last time 2B would've killed him, it wouldn't have been because of any sort of order, but because of the logic virus. That's just... so fucked up.

I finished this the other night and I'm still reeling.

Aside from how 2B reacted during the Amnesia quest in itself, the fact that she reacted that way to the existence of the E-series even though in the opening sequence of the game, one of the attack force on the abandoned factory was an E-series android meant that she was clearly aware of its existence, but kept mum in front of 9S to basically reconfirm that she's lying/hiding something.

OniBaka

Well see the Taro thread and all the misinformation in there due to peoples crusades and bias.

Unfortunately I'm a junior or I would post such a topic. NieR deserves it
It will just get derailed saying 2b isn't a good character because the way she dress.

I think the specifics of it should be noted too given how much more tragic they make it. Route A/B is them beating the loop for once, since 9S figured out he could use the machine network to save his consciousness for once. The last time 2B would've killed him, it wouldn't have been because of any sort of order, but because of the logic virus. That's just... so fucked up.

I finished this the other night and I'm still reeling.

The deep irony of the whole Route A/B situation is the fact that...

9S found out (part of) the truth behind YoHRa.
He seems to eventually plan to tell 2B about it.

Had he done so, the loop would reactivate itself because 2B would be forced to kill him.

Squire

Banned
The deep irony of the whole Route A/B situation is the fact that...

9S found out (part of) the truth behind YoHRa.
He seems to eventually plan to tell 2B about it.

Had he done so, the loop would reactivate itself because 2B would be forced to kill him.

Right, which explains why the Commander just gave up the ghost; it's a situation designed to sort itself out with no intervention from her.

Man, this game. Yoko gives Urobochi a run for his money with this stuff.

One question I have in regards to this game is whether the whole division b is a cover up meaning they're all supervising the s units. A question about the original Nier is about a character
p-33 because I heard he survives and goes on his adventures. Does this have anything to do with the machines.

Squire

Banned
One question I have in regards to this game is whether the whole division b is a cover up meaning they're all supervising the s units. A question about the original Nier is about a character
p-33 because I heard he survives and goes on his adventures. Does this have anything to do with the machines.

Division B is real. Those are the battle droids, so basically infantry. But 2B was undercover.

I get the impression E division is mostly for wetworks stuff, but even then I doubt they are specifically designed to track scanners. It's not the scanner division that even needs watching, is it? They specificy two or three times throughout the game that 9S is specifically high-end, not the whole category of scanners.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Right, which explains why the Commander just gave up the ghost; it's a situation designed to sort itself out with no intervention from her.

Man, this game. Yoko gives Urobochi a run for his money with this stuff.

As a fan of Urobuchter, he's overrated. Nasu himself made a more complex work in KnK than Saya no Uta or Madoka IMO, and half credit given to both Uro and Nasu on F/Z. Not to knock Uro, he's done great works without a doubt. but i would not really call him THE standard on how to do darker more complex stories.

Squire

Banned
As a fan of Urobuchter, he's overrated. Nasu himself made a more complex work in KnK than Saya no Uta or Madoka IMO, and half credit given to both Uro and Nasu on F/Z. Not to knock Uro, he's done great works without a doubt. but i would not really call him THE standard on how to do darker more complex stories.

That's totally fair! I should specify that I bring him up because he writes tragedies specifically, which strikes me as generally pretty rare. And Automata is 99% tragedy saved by the shimmering hope that is ending E. He's definitely not the best or only person doing similar material that's very dark though, I agree.

What we really need is Hideaki Anno to get into the business of game directing.

Funny thing: I have a friend that doesn't like Eva, which is to say he didn't think it's a good story. But he knows everything about it. Probably more than I do and I love it. He appreciates it as an exploration of Anna's psyche and I totally get that. That reminds me of what Taro has said about seeing story and gameplay as mere vehicles to convey themes and emotions.

If you asked me right now though, I'd honestly say Automata is a better story than Eva. The pieces fit together so much more tightly while still leaving room for interpretation and speculation. Eva is something that's endured in part because so much of the appeal is in speculating what it all means. EoE is the apex of it all because it hardly even plays at establishing facts.

Inuhanyou

Uro imo is better at stable execution than concepts.

Phantom of Inferno is his best OG work for the simplicity of the setup.

I never read the visual novel and i stopped watching the more recent anime halfway through for some reason i can't really remember, its been a long time since the premiere. I was really hyped going into that because i was already a fan of Phantom due to the earlier OVA releases, but i can't really recall if something happend in the series itself that put me off or i just forgot to keep up

If you asked me right now though, I'd honestly say Automata is a better story than Eva. The pieces fit together so much more tightly while still leaving room for interpretation and speculation. Eva is something that's endured in part because so much of the appeal is in speculating what it all means. EoE is the apex of it all because it hardly even plays at establishing facts.

I was a huge fan of Eva at one point, but i think i was half assing it largely because a lot of my fascination for the world stemmed from Asuka and Shinji's weird dysfunctional messed up relationship and what the series was trying to say about that in general, and not the attraction to desciphering the overarching plot events. I suppose that made me a bad fan

Eumi

Something has kinda been bothering me: The 'special prize' 9S gets in the tower is the knowledge that YoRHa is designed to fail. I'm pretty sure this is where you get the YoRHa Disposal file, implying that he reads it and reacts accordingly.

Problem is that in the second Resource Collector one of the chests you hack has the Black Box file... which includes, almost word for word, the text from the YoRHa Disposal file with the black box bit as a footnote. 9S even comments on the origins of black boxes, meaning he would've had to read past the same info he later loses his shit over.

Am I missing something or is this just a weird continuity oversight?
I caught that too. I think it's a continuity oversight, since the files from the resource collectors are being read by 9S.

It really undermined the reveal for me, honestly. I don't know why they did it but it doesn't feel intentional.

Ending E is so great in it's subtlety. It manages not to take away the gravity of the previous endings, and it doesn't pretend that hope itself is going to solve every problem the newly revived 2B, 9S, and A2 will encounter. We know 2B and 9S will have a lot of internal struggle to deal with, given this "second chance". We know A2 is still alone, we know the moon bunker and the Operators are all still gone and that the Devola and Popola models (the only healing models) are now completely wiped out as well. The earth is in shambles. It's not going to be an easy life.

Ending E is more about freedom, and the human capacity for love (vs the brutalities and cruel acts we see in the game) than giving the audience some sappy ending, which I think is really nice. Especially for 2B, who never really had the chance to redeem herself or to fight for anyone she loved. She had to kill 9S over and over. She was obviously fond of 6O, but did not want to get heavily attached to any other Yorha models, and during that fight in the forest, she likely very well knew what A2 was talking about even if she didn't have all of the details. 6O is still gone, and the Resistance, if they could even still be called that, obviously are going through difficult times. However, 2B and 9S are free. A2 is free. Resistance members are free. Everyone is able to find their own purpose, and to explore the more optimistic aspects of humanity

I caught that too. I think it's a continuity oversight, since the files from the resource collectors are being read by 9S.

It really undermined the reveal for me, honestly. I don't know why they did it but it doesn't feel intentional.
Yeah, that was strange. I felt like maybe it was a "last straw" kind of moment for him. I don't know what kind of "prize" he was expecting, but his mental stability just couldn't take what was going on in the tower. If he wasn't so focused on killing everything, I would be surpised that he didn't just choose to self destruct. If A2 hadn't shown up at the top, I think he would have.

Inuhanyou

i asked before but never really got an answer...2B and A2 mind melded together and became the same..person..how could the pods have their data separated then?

And even with their data separated, obviously A2 still remembers everything that happend, so...

i asked before but never really got an answer...2B and A2 mind melded together and became the same..person..how could the pods have their data separated then?

And even with their data separated, obviously A2 still remembers everything that happend, so...

It's possible that 2B was given a copy of A2's memories instead. Meaning that she would know what happened after she died, but her own memories would still be intact. I'm not sure if it's possible, but perhaps Pod did have a backup of her data, but with no body to stick it in after the virus/bunker disaster. If it was possible to remove the infection and keep the data, then reuploading it to her shouldn't be impossible.

That moment when Devola and Popola step in front of the tower when 9S is trying to get in was such a good psyche out. He even flinches as they run past him.

While you don't really need to play Nier 1 to enjoy Automata, I found my most emotionally resonating moments drew from it (Emil's whole arc, Devola/Popola, the secret lily garden, etc.)

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
That moment when Devola and Popola step in front of the tower when 9S is trying to get in was such a good psyche out. He even flinches as they run past him.

While you don't really need to play Nier 1 to enjoy Automata, I found my most emotionally resonating moments drew from it (Emil's whole arc, Devola/Popola, the secret lily garden, etc.)

The secret lily garden got me so good. I just stayed there with the music for awhile. Beautiful moment

Eumi

I don't think A2 and 2Bmelded, but rather A2 got 2B's memories. She still refers to herself as A2 and keeps 2Bbeing a separate person, and I think at one point she even states that 2B's memories were in her sword?

So like, 2B's data exists and is unaffected, whilst A2 basically changes in the same way as if she had, say, read a novella of 2B's memories like we did for the twins. It changed her, but more on an emotional level than a literal data level.

Check for cloud saves if you want to. There's nothing wrong with that if that's what you feel like doing
I'm not a PS+ member.

It's okay though, I definitely want to reply all of the routes once again. I just need to find the time for it, which is pretty hard right now with so many games coming out.

Funny thing: I have a friend that doesn't like Eva, which is to say he didn't think it's a good story. But he knows everything about it. Probably more than I do and I love it. He appreciates it as an exploration of Anna's psyche and I totally get that. That reminds me of what Taro has said about seeing story and gameplay as mere vehicles to convey themes and emotions.

As much as I love Automata, I wouldn't put it on Eva's level. Eva is a masterwork of character writing and direction. It has endured this long because of the characters, the message, and the incisive, subversive way they are delivered.

The characters in Automata are very endearing and some of them are quite meaty, but they aren't the living, breathing individuals that Anno managed to create.

I was a huge fan of Eva at one point, but i think i was half assing it largely because a lot of my fascination for the world stemmed from Asuka and Shinji's weird dysfunctional messed up relationship and what the series was trying to say about that in general, and not the attraction to desciphering the overarching plot events. I suppose that made me a bad fan

Not at all - Eva is about its characters first and foremost. The lore is a lot like Taro's - it's cohesive and expansive, but most of the answers are found in supplementary material, and it isn't the focal point. It's not a coincidence that the last two episodes are just interviews with the characters.

edit: it's kind of a silly comparison, though, since they're not even the same medium. Taro is the best at what Taro does, regardless.

Kthulhu

2B's dialogue in that quest also hints at it. 9S ponders the existence of such a unit and 2B's response was "Some things are best left unknown"

Did you do the right thing? OH wait it's a Yoko Taro game.

And 2B. that's 4chan collage of 2B had a hard life is absolutely on the money.

Link?

Save file deleted and hope it ends up helping someone. Got all the trophie I could actually get and bought the rest since I hate grinding as well as doing repetitive tasks. Now I wait for the Japan only book that elaborates ending e and takes it another step further.

OniBaka

Wr1zikU.png

Kthulhu

I'm sure it goes without saying, but this game's soundtrack is fantastic.

Hopefully SE will have it available seperatly from the black box edition soon.

Questions:

What's the significance of there only being 6 pods? In the beginning of ending E, 042 says something along the lines of "I gained emotion when all 6 of us were connected" but as far as I know, the only pod he interacts with if 152. Then, all of the sudden, 6 pods show up to repair the protagonists. Is there something I missed or overlooked when it came to the other 4 pods?

What happened with Beepy? He mentions he saw androids and machines living in harmony, when could that have happened?

I saw on that Twinfinite site that when the bunker was infected, the infected Yorha members would mention things from Drakengard, like the flower. Did anyone manage to hear that in their playthrough? What did they say?

I assume the only significance of Eve's Tattoo is to tell us the logic virus is just the Red Eye Syndrome/return of the Watcher's influence? Was hoping for something a bit more...convoluted and fleshed out than that (at least we have the inevitable Japanese short stories for this, I guess)

Caim

Questions:

What's the significance of there only being 6 pods? In the beginning of ending E, 042 says something along the lines of "I gained emotion when all 6 of us were connected" but as far as I know, the only pod he interacts with if 152. Then, all of the sudden, 6 pods show up to repair the protagonists. Is there something I missed or overlooked when it came to the other 4 pods?

What happened with Beepy? He mentions he saw androids and machines living in harmony, when could that have happened?

I saw on that Twinfinite site that when the bunker was infected, the infected Yorha members would mention things from Drakengard, like the flower. Did anyone manage to hear that in their playthrough? What did they say?

I assume the only significance of Eve's Tattoo is to tell us the logic virus is just the Red Eye Syndrome/return of the Watcher's influence? Was hoping for something a bit more...convoluted and fleshed out than that (at least we have the inevitable Japanese short stories for this, I guess)

I'll have to check, but when you first arrive at the Bunker if you turn the music down you can hear some of the operators talking in the background.

EDIT: The only thing about a flower they mention is something along the lines of "Oh how beautiful, our virus has turned into a beautiful flower!"

Eumi

I'm pretty sure each pod is actually 3 pods. That's how those conversations took place despite the pods not being near each other at any time in the second half, and why we see pod#-a,b,c on the text transmission screen.

When the two sets of pods shared data, it upped their thought capacity, evolving them to life forms with more complex emotions, which allowed them to go against their intended purpose.

s something along the lines of "Oh how beautiful, our virus has turned into a beautiful flower!"

Interesting, thanks. Was wondering what it could have been.

When six of us were connected. Those six (imo) refers to:

1. 2B
2. 9S
3. A2
4. Pod 042
5. Pod 152
You

I'm pretty sure each pod is actually 3 pods. That's how those conversations took place despite the pods not being near each other at any time in the second half, and why we see pod#-a,b,c on the text transmission screen.

When the two sets of pods shared data, it upped their thought capacity, evolving them to life forms with more complex emotions, which allowed them to go against their intended purpose.

I considered these too, since the pods do reference the player in E, and maybe the collectible A, B and C pods are different for 042 and 152.Could be either I suppose.

Was it ever explained why the only male android we saw was 9S? Is there a reason why all the others are female?

We saw more in the Resistance. And I remember another scanner contacting 9S at the beginning of route C and the scanner selling stuff in the bunker.

Was it ever explained why the only male android we saw was 9S? Is there a reason why all the others are female?

Only the YoRHa squad is primarily female. Never really explained unless its the Yonah part of YoRHa :shrug: But right, you see a lot more males on the ground.

Eumi

I think it could well just be Taro doing the subversion thing again. I doubt people would question gender ratio if it was only the S models that were female.

Does anyone know who the boy is when you select the game from the playstation home page. It's a boy staring off in the city but he doesn't have 9s outfit.

Kthulhu

We saw more in the Resistance. And I remember another scanner contacting 9S at the beginning of route C and the scanner selling stuff in the bunker.

Wasn't it a female Android?

Only the YoRHa squad is primarily female. Never really explained unless its the Yonah part of YoRHa :shrug: But right, you see a lot more males on the ground.

Yeah I meant just Yorha.

Hopefully we'll find out in an interview someday.

Top Bottom