• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

OniBaka

That feeling when your going through weapon stories and suddenly realize out of the blue...every single Virtuous weapon story is a spoiler of 2B's backstory and feelings for 9S.

WHAT.

EVERY

SINGLE

ONE
I need to read them again, these things never click for me.

That feeling when your going through weapon stories and suddenly realize out of the blue...every single Virtuous weapon story is a spoiler of 2B's backstory and feelings for 9S.

WHAT.

EVERY

SINGLE

ONE

Guess I better find all those weapons and upgrade them. Rocking the virtuous grief this playthrough since I got bored of swords and spear and am enjoying it so far. Will go back to spear with 9s though.

Finished ending E last night. Wow I have not felt this emotionally charged from an ending in quite a while. The part where you accept help then a chorus kicks into to the already fantastic mash up of "Weight of the World". I literally stood up and was going nuts. This is why I play videogames for moments like this. I feel that Yoko Taro feels the same way as well. This man and the entire team behind this game deserve a well round of applause.

LotusHD

Banned

WHAT.

EVERY

SINGLE

ONE

I need a link to them, no PS4 on me for the entire week. :(

Gotta say one of favorite/emotional moments was during the boss battle against 9S's operator. Damn Wretched Weaponry made me feel like a piece of garbage while I was killing her and I was secretly hoping hacking her would result in something different instead of her death.

Hell everytime that song played I felt like I was doing something awful to somebody or something awful was happening. i.e. destruction of Pascal's village

Finding the recorded audio message at the coast while playing as 9s in route C tore my soul to shreds.

Poor 2B

It hits especially well as I think 9S is pretty solid to play as, both as a more direct stand-in as well as for the powerful hacking/shooter bits. I'm surprised some players don't take to his sections. Like 2B for him in route A, you see in route B how he steps up for her. And after all, 2B is always just a chapter select and/or new game away.

So as 9S that message is like hearing that direct to the player from 2B. Also part of why it is important that the 9S voice actor is so solid on delivering that love and hate for 2B as the game progresses, twisting his mind. Makes the connection between the two that much more than surface.

Last edit: not that 2B's voice actress isn't great as well

I think my biggest shock was 2B's death. Like I just entirely was not expecting that walk I was doing to lead to her death.

It was made all the worst because at certain points I was getting the living shit beaten out of me by the machines. I admit I couldn't shake that feeling of dread as her systems kept failing and were affecting even the menu screens and then the world went black and white and she caught fire while I was making it across the bridge around 90%+ I knew that was going to be it.

LotusHD

Banned
The cover art with 2B holding the dead/unconscious 9S gives me a completely different feeling now.

Ohh....

Meanwhile the other cover just looks stupid.

I think my biggest shock was 2B's death. Like I just entirely was not expecting that walk I was doing to lead to her death.

It was made all the worst because at certain points I was getting the living shit beaten out of me by the machines. I admit I couldn't shake that feeling of dread as her systems kept failing and were affecting even the menu screens and then the world went black and white and she caught fire while I was making it across the bridge around 90%+ I knew that was going to be it.

Yea, I wanted some cliche thing to happen where she gets saved at the last moment, but nope. And it took me awhile before I realized she wasn't coming back...

It was a very effective scenario in setting up desperation over 2B's fate.

ramyeon

Ohh....

Meanwhile the other cover just looks stupid.

Yea, I wanted some cliche thing to happen where she gets saved at the last moment, but nope. And it took me awhile before I realized she wasn't coming back...
The Steelbook is gorgeous.
MDAuCqn.jpg

Samikaze

The whole game I kept waiting for 2b to come back before ending E :(

Same. I was thinking that at the most she would assimilate A2 and (S would end up killing 2B in A2's body.

I will never get over how bad the Western boxart is.

I actually like it.
It's vastly inferior to the other version, but it sells the game more.
The alternate version gives you the tone better, the western version gives you the gameplay better.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Same. I was thinking that at the most she would assimilate A2 and (S would end up killing 2B in A2's body.

Technically that did semi happen....or A2 became more like 2B over time anyways and carried out her will regardless.

Comparing A2 in the beginning to the middle and the end is like a completely different character.

And she lovingly stokes 9S's cheek as if she had known him in the same way 2B had, i think its obvious that they assimilated, especially considering that to these androids, memories are their entire being, their souls. without them they are just another model number

Having A2 absorb and assimilate 2B's memories through her sword, it makes sense and is sad in a way that 9S was attempting to destroy her so earnestly

Technically that did semi happen....or A2 became more like 2B over time anyways and carried out her will regardless.

Comparing A2 in the beginning to the middle and the end is like a completely different character.

And she lovingly stokes 9S's cheek as if she had known him in the same way 2B had, i think its obvious that they assimilated, especially considering that to these androids, memories are their entire being, their souls. without them they are just another model number

Having A2 absorb and assimilate 2B's memories through her sword, it makes sense and is sad in a way that 9S was attempting to destroy her so earnestly

Another indicator is that A2 cuts her hair as soon as she gets 2B's memories, then it regrows in ending E where she and 2B have been separated.

Inuhanyou

Another indicator is that A2 cuts her hair as soon as she gets 2B's memories, then it regrows in ending E where she and 2B have been separated.

well its not regrowth so much as possibly getting another body...i don't think robos can grow their hair back.

Ending E is kind of strange because all of their bodies should technically be beyond repair. with D/P out of commission, who exactly repaired them to transfer their memories over considering the black box was also destroyed?

Also, 9S's arm was taken off in route C, is not in route D, yet in route E his arm is off again. Does this mean that ending E is not a continuation of ending D, but ending C?

well its not regrowth so much as possibly getting another body...i don't think robos can grow their hair back.

Ending E is kind of strange because all of their bodies should technically be beyond repair. with D/P out of commission, who exactly repaired them to transfer their memories over considering the black box was also destroyed?

Also, 9S's arm was taken off in route C, is not in route D, yet in route E his arm is off again. Does this mean that ending E is not a continuation of ending D, but ending C?

They took 9S's 2B arm to put 2B back together. See, it works for both endings!

C is far better though.

I didn't mean literally regrown :p

But yeah, if you start E from chapter select, it continues from ending C.

Samikaze

True. I think assimilate is a poor word. I meant more like 2B would take over A2 completely at some point. Whether to speak to 9S or whatever other reason,

I really took to A2 as a character and as the 'good guy' so to speak, so i agree

When you figure she's sort of just carrying on 2B's fucked-up mission without knowing then she's certainly less "heroic" but yeah, the way she does things definitely feels like the proper turn of events.

Selfless sacrifice for the sake of another is very much in the Nier spirit of things!

Which is sad, since that means it's "more" canon that the Machines were all wiped out rather than leaving for another planet.

"canon" is a very tenuous concept in Taro's universe. Drakengard 1 spawned two sequels off different endings, and none of the endings in Drakengard 3 actually lead to Drakengard 1.

Then there's Barbarian Gary Busey and Anime Boi both being canon via the weapon stories in Automata.

"canon" is a very tenuous concept in Taro's universe. Drakengard 1 spawned two sequels off different endings, and none of the endings in Drakengard 3 actually lead to Drakengard 1.

Then there's Barbarian Gary Busey and Anime Boi both being canon via the weapon stories in Automata.

Final Fantasy XV is canon in the Taroverse if you're going by weapon stories. :p

Wagram

I'ma be honest. I love Taro and his crazy, but I don't care what he considers canon. In my mind endings from each game go into each other.

Speaking of the relationship between the different games, I do like how even though Nier 1 has magic, its presence in the world is practically non-existent in Automata's events, yet the game still bothers to eventually reference the existence of magic in various bits of intel.

For a first time Taro game player like me, seeing that magic is a thing in this world via a bit of text was fairly weird.

I'ma be honest. I love Taro and his crazy, but I don't care what he considers canon. In my mind endings from each game go into each other.

I think he just does it to cover his ass when it comes to continuity errors and so he doesn't feel completely bound to his previous works. Regardless of what Taro says, ending D of D3 eventually reaches a point where Caim does battle with the Queen Beast in my mind. There may be differences in the details of those worlds, but the spirit of them remains the same.

Speaking of the relationship between the different games, I do like how even though Nier 1 has magic, its presence in the world is practically non-existent in Automata's events, yet the game still bothers to eventually reference the existence of magic in various bits of intel.

For a first time Taro game player like me, seeing that magic is a thing in this world via a bit of text was fairly weird.

It's subtle. The POD programs are visually very similar to the Grimoires' magic in Nier.

I take it as one of many forgotten unit of distinctly human culture. If the machine wars went on another thousand years, all traces of it would probably be gone for good.

Inuhanyou

maso still exists in this world's atmosphere after all, and Emil is also comprised entirely of magic due to the experiments he and Halua went through in the 2020s.

It just so happens that the androids and machines can't utilize it

Regardless of what Taro says, ending D of D3 eventually reaches a point where Caim does battle with the Queen Beast in my mind. There may be differences in the details of those worlds, but the spirit of them remains the same.
I was really surprised when this wasn't mentioned as 100% canon in the lore videos I've been watching. I guess it speaks to the loosey goosey nature of the continuity between games, but I always assumed that was the case with plenty of evidence to back it up.

Replaying right now. Just got to the part with 2B trying to find 9S after the missile defense mission and you gotta love that curt, emphatic "Don't care" from 2B after 042 warns of a likely enemy ambush.

It's subtle. The POD programs are visually very similar to the Grimoires' magic in Nier.

I gathered that the warping weaponry and the PODs could definitely be either/or magic/science. Game's far enough into the future and otherwise so technologically flavoured that I can't imagine it's anything but fancy science, though.

Sidenote: the Grimoire Weiss skin for the POD is very well done. Wasn't expecting it to open and turn pages.

Samikaze

I gathered that the warping weaponry and the PODs could definitely be either/or magic/science. Game's far enough into the future and otherwise so technologically flavoured that I can't imagine it's anything but fancy science, though.

Sidenote: the Grimoire Weiss skin for the POD is very well done. Wasn't expecting it to open and turn pages.

Clarke's Third Law:
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

I was really surprised when this wasn't mentioned as 100% canon in the lore videos I've been watching. I guess it speaks to the loosey goosey nature of the continuity between games, but I always assumed that was the case with plenty of evidence to back it up.

I kind of understand it since Zero never invents the concept of Pacts in that ending, but I'm willing to just handwave that as minor continuity errors rather than throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Weiss himself was a product of mad science. The line between science and magic is extremely thin in Yoko Taro's Wild Ride.

ramyeon

Is A2 dead at the end of E? She looks slumped over yet her hair is long again. Are the pods ressing her too?
I mean they're all slumped over cause they're not activated yet. They were salvaging the data for all three of them during the credits sequence so the implication is yes.

Ruff

I mean they're all slumped over cause they're not activated yet. They were salvaging the data for all three of them during the credits sequence so the implication is yes.

It sounds obvious, I just wonder about the hair thing. She wasn't damaged in her head or anything that required replacement so I thought maybe she never died in the first place and she was simply sitting in the window weirdly. lol

Top Bottom