• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Slater

Banned
What is the argument for 2B coming up with the nickname?
We never hear anyone else call him that and she slips into calling him it very easily despite showing reluctance when it's directly addressed. Add in the fact that she doesn't like him being formal with her and insists he call her by name while she tries to be formal with him and the fact that they have actually been a team for years and it's not hard to guess.

Especially her death scene, 9S can't hear her and she still goes right to the nickname, that screams that she is used to calling him that

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
But that doesn't necessarily mean 2B started calling him that first, either one of them could have come up with it initially and it became something between them.

or it could just be a tick that comes with his programming for people to call him by that, hence why 2B screwed up in the forest kingdom when she said nine.....z.

Either way, he probably asks her to call him nines every time they meet up regardless and she got used to calling him that until she decided to put him at arm's length entirely and stop

LotusHD

Banned
Seeing several posts in the Mass Effect review thread bemoaning that they wish they had some great sci-fi game to play since ME is reviewing poorly, and I'm like....
PLAY NIER AUTOMATA
But at the same time I don't wanna be that guy lol

Inuhanyou

Seeing several posts in the Mass Effect review thread bemoaning that they wish they had some great sci-fi game to play since ME is reviewing poorly, and I'm like....
PLAY NIER AUTOMATA

You should be that guy.

Squire

Banned
PLAY NIER AUTOMATA

Take the high road there, yeah.

People should play Nier though. Not because ME is half-baked or disappointing or w/e, but because Nier is really truly just that good and worth prioritizing over other games even in a year that's already had a ton of highs in just a few months.

I'm not sure P5 can top this as my GOTY. That's insane on its own.

LotusHD

Banned
You should be that guy.

Nah, it's not the time or place. Plus I already did it a few times already lol

Take the high road there, yeah.

People should play Nier though. Not because ME is half-baked or disappointing or w/e, but because Nier is really truly just that good and worth prioritizing over other games even in a year that's already had a ton of highs in just a few months.

I'm not sure P5 can top this as my GOTY. That's insane on its own.

I posted once that Zelda was my "known" GOTY contender. We all know the pedigree Zelda games tend to have, I've never strongly disliked any of the mainline 3D entries, I know what to expect from the story more or less, etc. While Nier was my "unknown" GOTY contender, the game where I had no idea what to expect, and that that excited the hell out of me. Glad to see it pay off.

Slater

Banned
In terms of story, anyone who knows Taro should have had it penciled in for story of the year at the very least, it was obvious Andromeda was going to be an embarrassment no matter what Eden(game changer, sure lol) tried to spin and as good as Zelda is its story is not and has never really been anything close to special or unique with one exception

saturnine

This game was incredible. I feared Taro Yoko wouldn't manage to capture once again what made NieR so unique, especially after Drakengard 3 (which I loved, but was a different kind of beast altogether), but he did it. And how.

I won't gush over the meticulously intricate story, people in this thread already praised it far better than I could, but I want to say how I did appreciate the numerous QOL features that were implemented this time around. Enemies spawning and dropping sidequest materials, shops selling almost every upgrade mats (except for the pod upgrades, god knows why), even the possibility to buy trophies (N:A is the easiest game to 100% Taro Yoko did, of fucking course he'd put a trophy shop in it.) It's nice to know that he no longer harbors a deep hatred for completionists.

The only thing I found really disappointing was Weight of the World, which is no Ashes of Dream or Exhausted. This Silence is Mine was already borderline in D3 but got salvaged by a good instrumentation and sharing its place with Exhausted 3 and The Black Song. Even Hitori had a slow tempo quaintness that could be somewhat endearing despite how corny it was. Weight of the World goes full shitpop without looking back, and that's a real shame.

Silvard

PLAY NIER AUTOMATA

Thing is, Nier isn't really Sci-fi in the way ME is, so it doesn't really scratch that itch. It's definitely worth playing though.

Yoko Taro is a hell of a writer, has he ever made something not so depressing and sad? lol

I believe this is it.

Inuhanyou

aw, i love weight of the world :/ and think the lyrics fit pretty well

not to mention there are multiple versions just like ashes of dreams

K.Sabot

lol yeah i hate to be that guy always, resisting trying to push people to a game I like.

Don't want to turn into the Undertale fanbase.

Roussow

Fuck, I can't help myself, I keep meaning to go back and play more of Night in the Woods, but even after getting all of the trophies and deleting my save data I find myself in the middle of what feels like a 100% playthrough, again. Upgrading weapons is way easier knowing where all the upgrade materials are in hindsight, can't wait to experience Route C again.

Oh, quick question:
In Ending E gameplay sequence, Pod 042 mentions, "us six pods came together" or something to that extent, we see a bunch of pods in the end, but who are these specific six pods? We only get to know 042 and 153, did I miss some stuff? That level of granularity in the dialogue stood out to me.

LotusHD

Banned
Thing is, Nier isn't really Sci-fi in the way ME is, so it doesn't really scratch that itch. It's definitely worth playing though.

I guess, just going off the posts in that thread. Like one person mentioned Deus Ex for example.

lol yeah i hate to be that guy always, resisting trying to push people to a game I like.

Oh please, we're too adorably weird to turn into... Wait.

Inuhanyou

I think a lot of the hate against the UT fanbase is self manufactured against UT due to how popular it got in a short amount of time. That isn't to say there arent overzealous fans

Baalzebup

Oh, quick question:
In Ending E gameplay sequence, Pod 042 mentions, "us six pods came together" or something to that extent, we see a bunch of pods in the end, but who are these specific six pods? We only get to know 042 and 153, did I miss some stuff? That level of granularity in the dialogue stood out to me.
When you have those moments of the Pods discussing the ongoing events where you can pick if you want to play as A2 or 9S for the moment, you seemingly have the list of the pods who are in their own network at the moment. It lists A, B and C versions for both Pod 042 and Pod 153. So finding those extra pods is more or less canon and the Pod AI copies itself to the other Pods or something like that. :)

Or that is my take on it anyway.

I can't sleep, this game has ruined my weekend lol I can't stop thinking about it. Goddamn Yoko is a genius.

Can anyone give me a gist or decent synopsis of what the Drakengard games are about?

Ruff

I think it's Inevitable really. The two games are quite similar in nature, even down to having the bloody end credits as a final boss. I can see the same fans who made UT look so terrible with their fandom jumping ship here.

Inuhanyou

I can't sleep, this game has ruined my weekend lol I can't stop thinking about it. Goddamn Yoko is a genius.

Can anyone give me a gist or decent synopsis of what the Drakengard games are about?

The literal God could no longer stand the arrogance of humanity after the death of christ.

And so the great disaster was set into motion which brought magic, and supernatural beings such as Dragons and other monstrous creatures to medieval times, the creations of God.

The great disaster(around 800 AD) was formed in the shape of a giant earthquake which brought remnants of modern day shinjuku from another dimension already overrun with bad stuff to that time period, unleashing the hordes.

This is what brought magic to medieval europe.

This forms the basis for the world of Drakengard, as European civilizations are destroyed left and right by this invasion, what's left combines together to form Midgard to study, experiment and harness to power of these forces.

In Drakengard 1, humans have created a seal system in which human women are branded to keep the most evil of God's creations at bay.

The main character of Drakengard 1, Caim's sister is one such seal. However she ends up through certain circumstances dying, and unleashing the Watchers, interdimensional world ending beasts who perform God's will into the world. The Queen beast is the leader of these Watcher enemies.

And the final battle of Drakengard between Caim, his Dragon and the Queen beast ends up leading all of them into 2003 Tokyo, which sets Nier into motion.

Consider Drakengard's world basically a combination of Evangelion(EOE) and Berserk combined together with the insanity dialed up 100%.

ramyeon

How on earth do I fight Emil as A2? His quest marker shows up in the desert in earlier chapters as 9S but I can't get it to show up on any of the A2 chapters.

ramyeon

Just did a quick check and it didn't show up in chapter 12 but it does for 17-3.

I used 2B to beat emil cause she my favourite.
Ah thanks, ended up getting it to work in the chapter where you wake up in the desert after the fight. Chapter select can make things confusing sometimes that's for sure.

The literal God could no longer stand the arrogance of humanity after the death of christ.

And so the great disaster was set into motion which brought magic, and supernatural beings such as Dragons and other monstrous creatures to medieval times, the creations of God.

The great disaster(around 800 AD) was formed in the shape of a giant earthquake which brought remnants of modern day shinjuku from another dimension already overrun with bad stuff to that time period, unleashing the hordes.

This is what brought magic to medieval europe.

This forms the basis for the world of Drakengard, as European civilizations are destroyed left and right by this invasion, what's left combines together to form Midgard to study, experiment and harness to power of these forces.

In Drakengard 1, humans have created a seal system in which human women are branded to keep the most evil of God's creations at bay.

The main character of Drakengard 1, Caim's sister is one such seal. However she ends up through certain circumstances dying, and unleashing the Watchers, interdimensional world ending beasts who perform God's will into the world. The Queen beast is the leader of these Watcher enemies.

And the final battle of Drakengard between Caim, his Dragon and the Queen beast ends up leading all of them into 2003 Tokyo, which sets Nier into motion.

Consider Drakengard's world basically a combination of Evangelion(EOE) and Berserk combined together with the insanity dialed up 100%.

I'm sure this was the simplest way of explaining the story of that game haha

This story sounds bonkers!

Inuhanyou

It is very bonkers. And that post itself is just a very very brief overview that i tried to condense as much as possible with the very basics of the world setting

Inuhanyou

Saw this on a youtube comment.

Pod 042 & Pod 153.

Zero, One, Two, Three, Four and Five.

Clever. But was it intentional? You can never tell with YT

What was triggering certain machines eating one another?

Logic virus making them go insane, or so that's the face of it anyways, in the same way the abandoned factory droids just went crazy with religion even when other robots around them stayed sane and were scared of what they were turning into out of the blue

ramyeon

Done with Emil. Once for ending Y, once to finish the job. I'm surprised there's no trophy for this - or... like, any reward basically.

Christhor

So we finally got basically Brother Nier in the west, pretty nice stuff.

Overall the biggest complaint I have about this game, at least when compared to the original, is that there's a real lack of motivation. Sure, the motivation is that you're fighting the evil robots for humanity, but it's pretty obvious early on that it's completely pointless. The original always had really solid motivation with both the overall saving your daughter goal, but also the sealed verses/keys.

I also wish that the game had more charming banter and a more charming world like the original. It would be out of place in the setting of the game, for sure, but the game just lacked that fun aspect to me like Facade and all the great banter from Nier. Still a damn good game though, but it's hard to live up to Nier. Pretty funny that Cavia of all developers would be able to do genre shifting better than Platinum though, with a (seemingly) smaller budget no less.

So we finally got basically Brother Nier in the west, pretty nice stuff.

Overall the biggest complaint I have about this game, at least when compared to the original, is that there's a real lack of motivation. Sure, the motivation is that you're fighting the evil robots for humanity, but it's pretty obvious early on that it's completely pointless. The original always had really solid motivation with both the overall saving your daughter goal, but also the sealed verses/keys.

I also wish that the game had more charming banter and a more charming world like the original. It would be out of place in the setting of the game, for sure, but the game just lacked that fun aspect to me like Facade and all the great banter from Nier. Still a damn good game though, but it's hard to live up to Nier. Pretty funny that Cavia of all developers would be able to do genre shifting better than Platinum though, with a (seemingly) smaller budget no less.

More banter would've been nice. I wish A2 had a longer campaign as I love playing as her and her bonding with the pod was short but sweet :(

Christhor

More banter would've been nice. I wish A2 had a longer campaign as I love playing as her and her bonding with the pod was short but sweet :(

Yeah, A2 is my favourite character but she really needed more dialogue with anyone who's not the pod. Should have added more scenes with Anemone or possibly someone else.

Yeah, A2 is my favourite character but she really needed more dialogue with anyone who's not the pod. Should have added more scenes with Anemone or possibly someone else.

I like 9S and his arc was obviously extremely important to the entire story but I wish they cut down his gameplay segments in C, I feel that time could've been more suited for A2.

Christhor

I like 9S and his arc was obviously extremely important to the entire story but I wish they cut down his gameplay segments in C, I feel that time could've been more suited for A2.

The amount of screentime he got was fine to me, but they should have just made C a lot longer in general. A2s transformation from someone who hates all machines to someone who fights for Pascal and his village was kind of hard to believe. Even with her having 2Bs memories.

Weiss

Banned
So I just realized how much of a giant middle finger Emil's presence in this game is.

Emil's here because we like him from NieR. He's the breakout character of the entire franchise. Except he's just a clone, there are hundreds of them, and they've gone insane with despair and all die.

Emil's like this because 7000 years in the future, he's alone. He was forced to appear in a sequel set thousands of years in the future and doesn't get his happy ending. But we wanted him there because we like him.

Inuhanyou

Considering YT's previous children victims, i find it pretty kind of him to give emil full on memory loss. Who would want to remember this kind of thing after all

He's doomed to walk the universe for all eternity for fusing with halua

Christhor

Watching the panel from PAX and apparently the choir that kicks in when you accept help in ending E are the actual developers? That's pretty neat, it's like they're helping you take themselves out.

Jeffrey

The ending objective of yorha still is a bit confusing. Giving the machines an opening to nuke the moon base and taking out "humanity" doesn't seem like a great morale booster.

Morale of the resistance already seem kinda low lol. It's suppose to be coded in their system, but Idk these resistance folks don't seem to be that patriotic.

Alternatively, here's a track that encapsulates Drakengard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0h1t8YyTTU

I also wish that the game had more charming banter and a more charming world like the original. It would be out of place in the setting of the game, for sure, but the game just lacked that fun aspect to me like Facade and all the great banter from Nier.

I thought there was enough fun, but it definitely still felt like something was missing after being accustomed to the previous game's banter.

Jackass and Little Sister Machine were great.

Squire

Banned
Jackass is really a standout. She's like the best Borderlands character despite not being in any of those games LOL

Wish more of her lines were voiced. It's Amanda Celine Miller in the dub who's really good and honestly perfectly cast as her.

Jeffrey

It's still baffling that this game got good reviews lol.

When you break it down, it's not entirely that different from nier 1 in structure. everything is just a bit more polished. Makes you wonder if nier came out today with a smoother framerate and slight tweaks on ending requirements and fast travel, would it be getting 9s?

Heck even on principle it's really weird this game is getting good scores lol. Like the game feels purposely designed to frustrate you just enough to make the gameplay experience not the most pleasant which fits the tone of the side quests and music.

When you break it down, it's not entirely that different from nier 1 in structure. everything is just a bit more polished. Makes you wonder if nier came out today with a smoother framerate and slight tweaks on ending requirements and fast travel, would it be getting 9s?

Heck even on principle it's really weird this game is getting good scores lol. Like the game feels purposely designed to frustrate you just enough to make the gameplay experience not the most pleasant which fits the tone of the side quests and music.

It certainly made me comprehend Nier's reception even less. I really didn't feel a 20% difference, but then again I also never thought the first game had bad gameplay. Combat is more polished in the new game, but the first had way more variety for different gameplay styles (and never became bad by doing that). Doing sidequests sucks again. They both have equal high tense gameplay moments. There's less weird design choices like the wrong fishing spot at the right place, but Automata has way more glitches.

Inuhanyou

You have to think about when that game was released. Right after god of war 3, other action western AAA RPG's were gaining prominence and open world was in full swing with a lot more polish.

Japanese games were in full on niche mode and no one needed an excuse to trash them or dismiss them based on combat being average or the production values not being very high.

Since then, AAA games have imploded, indies with more exprimental themes have risen in prominence, and Japanese games have come back in style and reception

Ruff

I feel like hot waifu 2B being the main(ish) protag instead of a guy who looks like he hit every branch of the ugly tree on the way down definitely helped lol.

Top Bottom