• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTS 2 Coming! (Looks like NOM is off the hook... THIS time.)

Jive Turkey said:
Sony didn't kill anybody. Sega killed themselves.

Yup, Sega fell on their own sword. Then Sammy walked by, ripped Sega's face off the corpse, and is wearing it to live with Sega's family.

NiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiGHTS

Mr. Spinnington said:
NiGHTS 2 and Super Paper Mario in the span of 24 hours?

1174948543414.gif

yep, wii looking better every day know :D

TFIFF

Banned
If this game is good (Naka isn't working on it, Sonic Team USA is), then everyone should buy two copies to send a message to SEGA. Its the only way we will ever get a new Panzer Dragoon, Samba de Amigo, light gun game, Jet Set Radio, or (pipe dream) Skies of Arcadia 2 .

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Segata Sanshiro said:
Controller and Controller-less versions combined?

That's got to be one of the better selling Saturn titles in the US, sadly. If only I had been there to beat up people who weren't diligently playing Saturn. Where are those numbers from, Square?

I thought I remember seeing figures like 1.8 million in that Sega Saturn article I read at Eidolon's inn. Might have been worldwide.

TFIFF

Banned
topsyturvy said:
yep, wii looking better every day now :D

The Wii should seem pretty meaty now to anyone who isn't interested in its current minigame oriented titles. Super Paper Mario, No More Heroes, and Fire Emblem will all be out before this Fall. Supposedly, Resident Evil and Dragon Quest are also 2007 titles. NiGHTS has been rumored for a long time, so its not crazy to think it also might be out this year. Factor this in with the potential for two out of three of Smash Brothers, Mario Galaxy, and Metroid and you have a hell of a first year for something that also launched with Zelda.

I don't think they can get a black one out before 2008, but taking out Wii sports and dropping it to 229.99 or 199.99 with the above "traditional" titles should be appealing to even the staunchest "anti-waggle" people out there.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
TFIFF said:
The Wii should seem pretty meaty now to anyone who isn't interested in its current minigame oriented titles. Super Paper Mario, No More Heroes, and Fire Emblem will all be out before this Fall. Supposedly, Resident Evil and Dragon Quest are also 2007 titles. NiGHTS has been rumored for a long time, so its not crazy to think it also might be out this year. Factor this in with the potential for two out of three of Smash Brothers, Mario Galaxy, and Metroid and you have a hell of a first year for something that also launched with Zelda.

I don't think they can get a black one out before 2008, but taking out Wii sports and dropping it to 229.99 or 199.99 with the above "traditional" titles should be appealing to even the staunchest "anti-waggle" people out there.

if these are the only games i ever play on the system, it's worth it to me.
but that's a personal thing.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I thought I remember seeing figures like 1.8 million in that Sega Saturn article I read at Eidolon's inn. Might have been worldwide.

Just yanking from memory, I remember hearing 700k bandied about as numbers for the US at one point. No idea where I heard that though, so as long as Square's numbers aren't preceded by the reputation of his employer, I'd be far more tempted to rely on them as opposed to my own dull memory.

Game-Biz

From S-P-O-N-G, so...

http://news.*****.com/article/12166?cb=864

According to reliable sources - who wish to retain their anonymity - the 100% new NiGHTS for Wii has shifted developer from the Japan-based Prope to US-based Sonic Team.

The emergence of a brand new NiGHTS also appears to be confirmed by a third-party, in this case Gamereactor magazine and its April 2007 cover story (pictured right).

Prope was set-up by with initial SEGA funding by the former Sonic Team leader (and lead programmer on the original Sonic The Hedgehog), Yuji Naka . The current Sonic Team has been responsible for, among others, Sonic and the Secret Rings for Wii.

Naka is a close personal friend of Satoru Iwata, President and CEO of Nintendo, and a staunch advocate of Nintendo hardware. He was also paraded by Nintendo during its DS launches - and has been a keen advocate of Wii (back when it was still a Revolution)i. So, the reason for the Dev' move remains shrouded mystery.

Sonic Team connection, however, simply adds to the verbal confirmations we have already received regarding the fact that the latest NiGHTS game will be an entirely new property designed specifically for Nintendo's hard-to-find console.

Y2Kev

Um, the Nights song is good in the "I am the wind" kind of way. It's not a good song.

But NiGHTS' orchestral theme IS great.

According to reliable sources - who wish to retain their anonymity - the 100% new NiGHTS for Wii has shifted developer from the Japan-based Prope to US-based Sonic Team

I swear to ****ing god

Error said:
has it occured to you that some people dont give a **** about sales and really enjoyed the first one? jesus.
Well someone asked...

Actually for a Saturn title in those days these are really good sales, only Madden 97 outsold it - so NiGHTS (both versions combined) was the 2nd best seller for the Saturn (ahead of VF2)!
So I take it back maybe it was/is a killerapp!

TFIFF

Banned
beelzebozo said:
if these are the only games i ever play on the system, it's worth it to me.
but that's a personal thing.

I know exactly how you feel. Super Paper Mario and Fire Emblem more than justify the system purchase for me, so the Virtual Console and all these other blockbuster games are just gravy.

Zenith

Banned
No one has ever talked about NiGHTS on this forum ever, before a sequel was mentioned. Why are we hyped for this again?

Square2005 said:
Is it that bigga deal? It's no killerapp:
The original NiGHTS in the U.S. only sold: 200,325 (both versions included)...
or 15% of the Saturn userbase.

:lol :lol :lol

My point exactly. Anyone thinking this will sell well or that mainstream gamers give a crap about this game is really living in fantasy land.

xaosslug

whatwhat(in the butt).gif

hmm. I don't know... I mean, the cover says 'NIGHTS exclusive' and yet... nothing about whether or not it's a sequel. I'm cautiously optimistic. *chugs salt*

Y2Kev

Error said:
Sonic Team USA?

:lol

prepare for massive suckage.

jesus ****ing christ sega oh my ****ing god how could you rape my childhood jesus christ oh my god

Yama

Zenith said:
No one has ever talked about NiGHTS on this forum ever, before a sequel was mentioned. Why are we hyped for this again?
It was one of my favorite Sega games of all time, along with JGR. I loved NiGHTS and still play it frequently.

Still, I'm more scared than excited about this news. No Naka for one, hmph...

KTallguy

Banned
Zenith said:

The game is very creative and interesting, but I'd like to see media. I only played the Saturn Nights a little bit though.

What's the main draw of NiGHTS in the first place? Why is it such a cool game?

Oh and good luck with Sonic Team USA :p

Y2Kev

KTallguy said:
The game is very creative and interesting, but I'd like to see media. I only played the Saturn Nights a little bit though.

What's the main draw of NiGHTS in the first place? Why is it such a cool game?

Unparalleled sensation of flying, old school design, great art and graphics, and fabulous music.

Suburban (not soft, mind you) Museum ftmfw.

Error said:
Sonic Team USA?

:lol

prepare for massive suckage.

If it's the Sonic and the Secret Rings guys, I trust them. Transitioning 32-bit NiGHTS to a current-gen system is a hell of a lot easier than transitioning 16-bit Sonic to 3D, so if it's even a bit better than Sonic and the Secret Rings, it's going to be good enough.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I just hope Prope handle most of the level design and art of the game and they just give it to Sonic Team USA to handle graphics or something.

Y2Kev

Segata Sanshiro said:
If it's the Sonic and the Secret Rings guys, I trust them. Transitioning 32-bit NiGHTS to a current-gen system is a hell of a lot easier than transitioning 16-bit Sonic to 3D, so if it's even a bit better than Sonic and the Secret Rings, it's going to be good enough.

I think SATSR is Japan-developed.

those of you that says that nights won't sell is ****ing retarded. this will sell 1 million easily in its first year. This was ten years as one of the most creative games sega developed and know its finally coming. All of the nintendo fanbase will eat the game up just because of its "its ****ing nights" so go spread the hate somewhere else haters

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I think SATSR is Japan-developed.

Hmm, well, we'll have to wait for more reliable reports, and then keep the dream of the game we're hoping for, quality can come through an open door. Just be strong, and we're sure to find the one.

I'd rather not have Naka on this. He turned into an abusive parent in his old age.

Epiphyte

Square2005 said:
Is it that bigga deal? It's no killerapp:
The original NiGHTS in the U.S. only sold: 200,325 (both versions included)...
or 15% of the Saturn userbase.
I agree that Nights is not a system selling level title, but using userbase % is a rather silly metric.

Afterall, GTA 3 only sold to 17% of the US PS2 userbase.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Hahahah GameReactor... this isn't the first time they'd get ahold of something exclusive like this. I don't get how they do it, it's a free magazine and everything. :lol Oh well, will pick it up when it comes out I guess.

Top Bottom