• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nights of Azure |OT| Star Crossed (Lesbian) Lovers

SarusGray

Anything missable at all in the "Interlude" bits? Or anywhere in the game, for that matter?

Should I be doing all the quests first, then going for the events to complete everything, or do quests pile up?

Nothing is missable. Quests pile up and are just used for the money, items and fetishes. Play as you please :)

Eolz

Should receive my copy tomorrow, didn't read the past pages just in case :)
Also received a mail with the themes/DLC, but will only put it in after launching the game once. The regular themes look really cool from what I remember!

SarusGray

Put my limited edition official soundtrack CD in my car ready to twerk to track 36 Predge with the vocals and all and IT'S NOT THE SAME AS THE JAPANESE CD! #gasped #crying #yyoudodiskoeitecmogust #LEwasgorgeousbutstill

It's some other song and it sounds nice but predge literally is like this game's theme song.

What are the requirements for the different endings? Anything particularly obtuse?

Ending can be changed postgame and I don't think its obtuse from what I can remember.

SarusGray

I'm not that far into the game, but is there any reason to not have all four servans running around with you all the time?

The only reason why would be to reset their SP value if they're low or to protect them from being KO'd and reuse their servan burst skills. To unsummon them you just switch your monster deck once you acquire the skill to shuffle between monster decks. I almost have them always out if I can unless its the exploding servan which dies immediately lol.

jonjonaug

Going through chapter 2 now and I take back everything I said about needing "very thin" yuri goggles for this one, this is very much straight up yuri.
That dance scene was p nice

How's the difficulty of this game? Are there difficulty settings?

It's pretty easy so far with the occasional spike of higher level enemies or boss fights, no difficulty settings.

SarusGray

How's the difficulty of this game? Are there difficulty settings?

there is one thing... I can't remember what it was to slide the difficulty oh
"if you have Lloyd send a boat to Oceania twice, you'll obtain a demon that essentially acts as a difficulty modifier, and buffs enemy mobs and bosses."

SarusGray

Beat the game and wow my heart was racing. Got one of the endings..
That ending was fucked up as fuck! AND THE YURI GOT REALL AS FUCK Y'all SEQUEL PLEASE

and no missable trophies.

Overall, what a beautiful game in the end. It has its flaws but I can overlook them for what the game managed to accomplish. The relationship between Arnice and Lilysse was so sweet, so pure without any judgement from anyone. This is definitely a gem I'm glad was localized that I was able to purchase and experience. I hope koei continues to localize these amazing gems and gust continues to make games like this. They sure are a talented bunch when going out of their comfort zone. Hopefully with a better budget, an english dub can be done, and Xseed quality writing but I can't really complain. Koei Tecmo really did an amazing job.

Interesting thing to note, the main characters Japanese dub sing some of the lead songs like predge! Really amazing talented cast!

SephLuis

That ending was fucked up as fuck! AND THE YURI GOT REALL AS FUCK Y'all SEQUEL PLEASE

Overall, what a beautiful game in the end. It has its flaws but I can overlook them for what the game managed to accomplish. The relationship between Arnice and Lilysse was so sweet, so pure without any judgement from anyone. This is definitely a gem I'm glad was localized that I was able to purchase and experience. I hope koei continues to localize these amazing gems and gust continues to make games like this. They sure are a talented bunch when going out of their comfort zone. Hopefully with a better budget, an english dub can be done, and Xseed quality writing but I can't really complain. Koei Tecmo really did an amazing job.

Interesting thing to note, the main characters Japanese dub sing some of the lead songs like predge! Really amazing talented cast!

Which ending did you got ?

I assume you didn't get the true, since it's quite difficult to obtain it on a first try

SarusGray

Which ending did you got ?

I assume you didn't get the true, since it's quite difficult to obtain it on a first try

I definitely didn't LOL :'( mind cluing me in on how to get the other endings including the true? Cause
that ending wasn't what I wanted AT ALL!

SephLuis

I definitely didn't LOL :'( mind cluing me in on how to get the other endings including the true? Cause
that ending wasn't what I wanted AT ALL!

It's been quite some time since I played so what I remember:

- Go to the altar before the final boss and it should show the option for you to delay the final confrontation and learn more about the monsters
- You need to defeat some extra bosses now, which are quite tough. I don't remember if the game points them out. One is in the Opera House and the other is in the museum, I think
- You can go to the dream world and change Lyuritis affection, put it on max. Not sure if this is possible before or after getting the true ending

SarusGray

It's been quite some time since I played so what I remember:

- Go to the altar before the final boss and it should show the option for you to delay the final confrontation and learn more about the monsters
- You need to defeat some extra bosses now, which are quite tough. I don't remember if the game points them out. One is in the Opera House and the other is in the museum, I think
- You can go to the dream world and change Lyuritis affection, put it on max. Not sure if this is possible before or after getting the true ending

thanks so much! Can't wait to replay it again.

SephLuis

Load your clear data and the game should start right before the altar. Getting the true ending isn't that bad.

Say hi to the snake for me. You will understand when you see it

CrovaxPSO

Just curious, what was your play time?

Alucrid

Banned
any tips for the final arena challenge? did nightmare spam but that only does about 80% at level 11, then i die from the adds that don't spawn until then

Stalk

I forgot how last minute NISA Europe seem to leave everything. I only ordered Operation Abyss from them last year and it got to me for release, just I got all the shipping notifications at like 5pm the prior evening haha. Same again with NoA.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
its very tame compared to say Dragon age inquistion. But the romance is very much there and you'll feel for the characters as it focuses more on their history, their future and the ups and down they go through when trying to cope with the number one big issue in the story aka world ending and stuff. They are in love. Way more and differently compared to the tales of zestiria Mikleo and whatshisface.
I guess my yuri goggles must be too thin. With the exception of the scene I mentioned earlier, what gets said and done between the two in this game is on par (usually for the sake of fan service) with a lot of other Japanese media where two girls are close friends or fulfilling the female knight + damsel trope and are not actual lovers.

Out of the last 2 story-based yuri related games I played (I'm not particularly a yuri connoisseur, it was coincidence), themes like coming to terms with their sexual orientation and the negative consequences of how people around them react made it feel explicitly lesbian. Not to mention both had emotional confessions and some clean (these weren't adult games) kisses with clear romantic intent. The more extreme case even ended with marriage and a biological child through the power of science.

I felt the "yuri" scenes in this game (
things like hugs, a dance, putting a "ring" on her finger, sleeping in the same bed, among the things I can remember
) were subdued enough where the relationship could be platonic love (sisterly/close friend) with tropey yuri fan service. What's explicit is the girls' history. The relationship is implied. My view seems to have landed on the opposite end of the director's ambiguity statement compared with the rest of this thread though.

Not trying to convince or dismiss anyone's opinion of course, just elaborating my own. For a Japanese game in a mainstream genre this is probably as yuri as it's going to get.

SarusGray

I guess my yuri goggles must be too thin. With the exception of the scene I mentioned earlier, what gets said and done between the two in this game is on par (usually for the sake of fan service) with a lot of other Japanese media where two girls are close friends or fulfilling the female knight + damsel trope and are not actual lovers.

Out of the last 2 story-based yuri related games I played (I'm not particularly a yuri connoisseur, it was coincidence), themes like coming to terms with their sexual orientation and the negative consequences of how people around them react made it feel explicitly lesbian. Not to mention both had emotional confessions and some clean (these weren't adult games) kisses with clear romantic intent. The more extreme case even ended with marriage and a biological child through the power of science.

I felt the "yuri" scenes in this game (
things like hugs, a dance, putting a "ring" on her finger, sleeping in the same bed, among the things I can remember
) were subdued enough where the relationship could be platonic love (sisterly/close friend) with tropey yuri fan service. What's explicit is the girls' history. The relationship is implied. My view seems to have landed on the opposite end of the director's ambiguity statement compared with the rest of this thread though.

Not trying to convince or dismiss anyone's opinion of course, just elaborating my own. For a Japanese game in a mainstream genre this is probably as yuri as it's going to get.

From what I've seen in my playthrough, many times, side characters refer to both arnice and lilysse as lovers. In one of the interviews regarding a song arrangement, I don't know if its due to bad translation or good but the developer refers to both lilysse and arnice as lovers in game. In one of the endings Arnice and Lilysse kissing also. I'll post screens and let players decide lata

As for my playthrough I'll check in a bits, im not at my ps4.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
From what I've seen in my playthrough, many times, side characters refer to both arnice and lilysse as lovers
That's definitely flavor added to the english translation, I don't remember seeing that at all. As for the
kiss, that's what I was referring to as the yuri-esque scene near the end with 'circumstances'. The explanation for that kiss was that Arnice was sacrificing herself by absorbing the blue blood from Lily (through mouth to mouth) to try and save her. I saw the kiss itself as a thinly veiled explanation for that yuri fan service. It didn't seem romantic at all

Ravage

Glad to see positive impressions. I bought the game at launch but it's still wrapped in plastic thanks to work. Looking forward to playing this through the weekends.

kromeo

I forgot how last minute NISA Europe seem to leave everything. I only ordered Operation Abyss from them last year and it got to me for release, just I got all the shipping notifications at like 5pm the prior evening haha. Same again with NoA.

They use DPD next day, no need to worry about that

My copy shipped on the evening of the 30th and is out for delivery in Germany today. At least the 10€ shipping I paid is being put to good use :D

SarusGray

That's definitely flavor added to the english translation, I don't remember seeing that at all. As for the
kiss, that's what I was referring to as the yuri-esque scene near the end with 'circumstances'. The explanation for that kiss was that Arnice was sacrificing herself by absorbing the blue blood from Lily (through mouth to mouth) to try and save her. I saw the kiss itself as a thinly veiled explanation for that yuri fan service. It didn't seem romantic at all

the dialogue in the english translation for some reason made it seem much more romantic compared to the japanese version from what I can recall. But yeah, the side characters have begun referring to them as lovers at a certain point, sometimes even mocking them for their "lovers quarrel". It's not explicit as I'm a lesbian or we just had sex, its implicit but I think that's fine in what they tried to accomplish. This definitely ain't yo sister love.

btw you have the wrong profile for me in the credits :)

oops ! LOL Corrected ! :). <3

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
the dialogue in the english translation for some reason made it seem much more romantic compared to the japanese version from what I can recall. But yeah, the side characters have begun referring to them as lovers at a certain point, sometimes even mocking them for their "lovers quarrel". It's not explicit as I'm a lesbian or we just had sex, its implicit but I think that's fine in what they tried to accomplish. This definitely ain't yo sister love.
Well, like I said, I'm not here to try and convince you otherwise, but based on what you said it seems the english translation pushes that aspect more explicitly than the original. We will just have to agree to disagree &#9488;('&#65374;` )&#9484;

I'm somewhat intrigued by this game, but I don't like the stuff I'm hearing about the difficulty. Then again, Nier was super easy and shallow but I actually had a lot of fun with its combat. Either way, I don't see myself spending $60 on this. I'll keep it on my radar, though.

SarusGray

I'm somewhat intrigued by this game, but I don't like the stuff I'm hearing about the difficulty. Then again, Nier was super easy and shallow but I actually had a lot of fun with its combat. Either way, I don't see myself spending $60 on this. I'll keep it on my radar, though.

It is pretty easy as far as action rpgs get. One of the bosses though receives a huge spike in difficulty, same for post game bosses. You can't grind to mow down these bosses, you have to rely on wit or break the game by utilizing certain servans and over powered set ups.(Masterll, a youtuber I think does this) I used some of the weakest servans and had to retry many times to defeat one of the bosses. (I like cute servans, and I'm REALLY good at action games) I'm not sure if there is a difficulty slider, but I've been told there is one through unconventional methods, I'll continue playing to find it.

If you want a difficult game like say Bloodborne, you'll probably want to pick this up when it receives a price drop or not at all.

For this though~

"While possibly underwhelming to experienced JRPG fans, Nights of Azure still provides enjoyable battles with specific mechanics to play around with. In the end, Gust&#8217;s newest attempt in gameplay and even love story that forms and develops between two women is what makes Nights of Azure a unique experience and JRPG." http://cogconnected.com/review/nights-of-azure-review/

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Only on the 3rd chapter so maybe I'm not far enough but I don't get the "Lesbian" reference..seem like they just good friends to me.

hawk2025

I'm reading about multiple endings -- should I worry about that right now?

Is there NG+ to get a "best" ending? Is the best ending achievable as post-game or something if you load up your last save?

Just wondering what the best approach is here.

This is such an odd game. By all accounts, I should not be liking it this much. But it has this pleasant gameplay loop of going into the dungeons, checking on your trade routes, picking new day activities/quests, and on and on we go.

It's all simple and streamlined, but somehow works for me. I think the soundtrack and pleasant but very simple graphics are a large part of it. Really odd, I have 10+ games to play right now and I keep coming back to this.

More questions:

- Do you always get a new item with trade routes? Meaning, should I try and clear them one by one, or is there a chance of repeats?
- For quests, do Daytime quests "count" as completed quests for the Quests trophy?
- I'm focusing on acquiring skills that increase my number of quests and day activities first, because I figured those will speed up the points and cash needed for trade routes and for learning other skills in the future. Good idea? The combat is easy enough that I haven't felt the need to buy more than a handful of combat skills so far.

SarusGray

Is there NG+ to get a "best" ending? Is the best ending achievable as post-game or something if you load up your last save?

Just wondering what the best approach is here.

Yes there is a NG+, I don't believe you can get the best ending from your first playthrough. It's achievable during post game.

This is such an odd game. By all accounts, I should not be liking it this much. But it has this pleasant gameplay loop of going into the dungeons, checking on your trade routes, picking new day activities/quests, and on and on we go.

It's all simple and streamlined, but somehow works for me. I think the soundtrack and pleasant but very simple graphics are a large part of it. Really odd, I have 10+ games to play right now and I keep coming back to this.

More questions:

- Do you always get a new item with trade routes? Meaning, should I try and clear them one by one, or is there a chance of repeats?
There is a chance of repeats but from what I've done, I haven't receive a repeat. I've received a new item. I've done each route twice. Sometimes though you'll receive marks to feed to your servans

- For quests, do Daytime quests "count" as completed quests for the Quests trophy?
I have no idea, I would say so.
- I'm focusing on acquiring skills that increase my number of quests and day activities first, because I figured those will speed up the points and cash needed for trade routes and for learning other skills in the future. Good idea?
Great idea bae.
The combat is easy enough that I haven't felt the need to buy more than a handful of combat skills so far.

thur you go.

SarusGray

Thanks! All great to hear overall.

Onwards to chapter 4 :)

Oh, one last thing: What actually constitutes a day moving forward? Is it going through a full section of a "dungeon", a certain time period inside the dungeon, or...?

It's a certain time period. The timer above you during your runs will start. I'm not sure how many but I'd say three minutes to five minutes fulfills it and you're free to leave the dungeon and complete the day quest.

SephLuis

MISTRAL WAS HARD AF

Say hi to the snake for me. You will understand when you see it

I warned you. =)

Nope.
As far as I know there's three endings you can get on your regular playthrough and they depend on your relationship with Lyuritis.
After completing the game once, you can load the NG+ data and it drops you just in the beginning of the true end route.

Just saw the Giant bomb quick look, and it looks very interesting. Combat seems very fluid and flashy. Love the fact you control minions to fight for you.

Will try it out.

Wait so you can only get the true ending after you beat the game? Does it prompt you to save after beating it then you load that file then do some things to get true ending?

Only on Chapter 2 so I'd prefer no spoilers, just need to know if I'm screwing myself out of the true ending somehow.

Alucrid

Banned
Wait so you can only get the true ending after you beat the game? Does it prompt you to save after beating it then you load that file then do some things to get true ending?

Only on Chapter 2 so I'd prefer no spoilers, just need to know if I'm screwing myself out of the true ending somehow.

yes. yes. you really can't miss it since (slight spoilers)
the game will keep sending you back to the same loop before the final dungeon every time you beat the game, where you do the stuff that gets you the true ending

300 quests is tedious as hell and i still don't have 10k kills.

Top Bottom