• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden Black is very special.

ArchAngel

Please bring it to BC, can't wait for the "fuck ALMA" threads again :D
Best action game, but the vanialle NG2 is also good. Dat Scythe and feeling of combat are awesome!

Floex

NG2 is better in every way.

images

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
It ruined the genre for me. It set unrealistic expectations that no other game could meet for me. I acknowledge that DMC 3 and Bayonetta are great, but they're just not Ninja Gaiden. Fuck ghost fishes though.

gfxtwin

My body has been so ready for a Ninja Gaiden Collection containing NGB, NG2 and I guess NG3RE. If nothing else, the Sigma games and RE. Release this for PC and current gen consoles already, Tecmo!

I agree that DMC (and Bayo) are the closest thing to NG. I really enjoy those games as well, but Souls always looked really different. It's nice to see someone describe DMC and NG in the same way I do though.

I agree that Souls looks (and plays) very different from NG, I was thinking of how the mindsets are similar. In DMC or Bayo, depending on the difficulty you're playing on, the game can get pretty easy outside of some of the bosses, so there's this escalation and de-escalation of tension, where in NG you literally always have to be *on*, because just about any enemy in the game can ruin your day. In *that* sense, I think it's soulslike. In Souls games, it can feel like even in moments of falling tension you still can't relax.

Renna Hazel

I agree that Souls looks (and plays) very different from NG, I was thinking of how the mindsets are similar. In DMC or Bayo, depending on the difficulty you're playing on, the game can get pretty easy outside of some of the bosses, so there's this escalation and de-escalation of tension, where in NG you literally always have to be *on*, because just about any enemy in the game can ruin your day. In *that* sense, I think it's soulslike. In Souls games, it can feel like even in moments of falling tension you still can't relax.

I had always assumed the difficulty was the reason I often saw Souls compared to NG. It sounds like a different game that probably evoked similar emotions to many that played both, which is cool.

Izuna

Banned
So I fell asleep.

I have a message for those who prefer NG2.

I am a tourist in every damn way but I preferred NG2 for the majority of the time that I played. Up until getting 1150 (all the mission mode stuff), I felt that the combat system was extremely deep and was a different sort of challenge (based entirely of IFs).

But then I went back and played Black. I had never done Very Hard or above before that point but when I got there, I realised almost all the depth (outside of limbs) was already there in Black, they were just more cohesively placed.

Bosses were no longer "time trials" that ranged from hilariously easy to stupid based on whatever attack pattern they decided to have, and regular enemies were quite literally damage sponges without understanding the game's mechanics.

By the time I finished Very Hard and Master Ninja... Perhaps I wasn't enjoying myself as much because there was a lot more frustration there, but it felt far more rewarding.

Playing NG2 after made it feel very one-dimensional in comparison.

I believe the NGB vs. NG2 conversation is still young and not a simple one. But that's why I want both coming to BC. NG2, what it tries to do, no other game comes close. Whereas NGB is the most solid Action game ever made.

Fuck the Sigma games.

---

Finally... DMC is very different from NG. The way the enemy AI works, where the challenge is focused on... It's skill ceiling is score challenges and using marvel like jump cancels, strings etc. For style.

Bayonetta is in between, having more of the patience and deliberateness of NG, but it is still very much a different title. People can prefer those games since they're different.

Nioh is nowhere near NGB's level, but it is the closest thing we have and it's a hybrid that has a lot of Diablo in it.

tesqui

I got Sigma a year ago (Only last gen console I have is a PS3. Microsoft still hasn't put Black on Backwards compatibility list.) and couldn't get through it. I got to the city level and lost all interest. I loved the beginning village setting a lot, but the boring ass Blimp level and city level that comes after really destroyed my hype to go back into it.

Shifty

Ah NG threads, they always bring out the crazy people. NG2/3 being better than Black, Black not being the pinnacle of its genre, etc. etc. You're all priceless.

The sooner Phil and friends figure out how to make it run on PC the better, even if it's all but guaranteed to run inside UWP.

And for those of you struggling with Sigma 1, it's totally not representative of what makes the game great. Black is my GOAT and I've finished it a bunch of times, but I still can't bring myself to slog through Sigma despite having tried 3 times now. Something about it just sucks.

Sigma 2 is a bit more complex. For me it acted as a gateway drug for vanilla 2, which I absolutely hated first time through but now love despite its flaws.

I always preferred all the other games. Mostly because while the gameplay of NGB was top notch, everything else is absolutely poor. The art design is dull, the levels are dull, the music is kind of just there, the weapons are boring and typical, theres no likeable characters and there's basically no story. It lacks personality.

Something like DMC3 has all these plus the gameplay.
But I understand that my mentality isn't the same as a lot of people. Gameplay isn't 100% of what makes a good game to me. But for others it is.

xuchu

Wooden Sword run on Hard is something I've done :)

It's actually not that bad with the kick amulet tho...

Damn, didn't realise it was even a thing people did, though no upgrade runs did always exist.

Might dust up the 360 and attempt this next time I feel like playing some NGB, though the muscle memory is pretty much all gone.

Robot Pants

Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge wasn't as bad as some remember it. It's only marginally worse than NGII
Yea no.
3 is awful and razors edge is only slightly better.

2 is an actual good game. It wasn't even properly finished and it blows any version of 3 out of the water

Revan

Yeah, it always puzzles me when people say izuna drop and flying swallow are OP. While they're very good, on very hard and master ninja, spamming that and UTs will only get you so far. Flying swallow especially, has extremely long recovery times considering how fast and aggressive the enemies are on master ninja. I could only complete master ninja and eternal legend mission mode after mastering shuriken cancels.

On similar note, joebutton (one of the best karma and speed runners back in the day) is slowly putting out a weapon tutorial moveset where he talks about advanced tech and the like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Goz5QD7E_dI - movement & OL tutorial from 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIvfavFGH5I - Dragon sword
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrFLiKpUvOc - Lunar staff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1IGyT3W7kE - Nunchucks and Vigoorian Flails

Roll jump everywhere!!!!

He is by far the BEST NGB player I've ever seen. I've been watching his stuff for years.

His 1:34 Segmented Speed Run (Normal) is a thing to behold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7rbJ2Oi4h8&index=8&list=PLLkZiKEkqWjJk8esMCOsFOorXCK9cDON-

I was going to bring him up in this thread if he hadn't been mentioned already.

I highly HIGHLY recommend watching his Ninja Gaiden videos if anyone wants to watch a master - a true master - at his craft.

xuchu

He is by far the BEST NGB player I've ever seen. I've been watching his stuff for years.

His 1:34 Segmented Speed Run (Normal) is a thing to behold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7rbJ2Oi4h8&index=8&list=PLLkZiKEkqWjJk8esMCOsFOorXCK9cDON-

I was going to bring him up in this thread if he hadn't been mentioned already.

I highly HIGHLY recommend watching his Ninja Gaiden videos if anyone wants to watch a master - a true master - at his craft.

Nah, why learn the game when it's easier to drive by post: flying swallow = ez game ez life.

I'm awaiting the Yaiba > NGB posts too. Don't fail me GAF

Revan

Nah, why learn the game when it's easier to drive by post: flying swallow = ez game ez life.

I'm awaiting the Yaiba > NGB posts too. Don't fail me GAF

Pretty much yah sadly.

You don't put in the time - well - it's as you said.

The depth of NGB's combat has always amazed me - spend anytime on VH/MN and you learn really fast that the game is nothing like normal - FS/ID don't do much on the higher difficulties.

HeeHo

I played OG Ninja Gaiden first. It was the game that got me into character action/hard games in general.

Not trying to start anyway "vs" wars but I go to say, the bar was raised after playing Xbox NG and when it came time to play DMC3, while good, had no where near the impact that Ninja Gaiden had. NG had great graphics for the time, was more of an adventure like a Zelda game was and was also pretty long to boot. I felt totally spoiled by NG and I thought the second game was going to be just as impressive but they decided to chase after the DMC-mission structure which wasn't for the better, imo. Maybe it was a budget thing. The first NG looks like it was expensive.

Bog

Junior Ace
I played the real Ninja Gaiden on Xbox. I was too annoyed by all the johnny come lately's when Black launched A YEAR LATER to play a game I'd already played.

Now people ONLY reference Black. Where were you in 04, jerks?

Izuna

Banned
I played the real Ninja Gaiden on Xbox. I was too annoyed by all the johnny come lately's when Black launched A YEAR LATER to play a game I'd already played.

Vanilla NG had problems.

Seriously, go back to it today and realise how much the Hurricane Packs actually improved. The camera was greatly improved, Nunchaku were no longer EXTREMELY OP, and Vanilla Hard is like NGB Normal (or slightly easier).

Vanilla NG had problems.

Seriously, go back to it today and realise how much the Hurricane Packs actually improved. The camera was greatly improved, Nunchaku were no longer EXTREMELY OP, and Vanilla Hard is like NGB Normal (or slightly easier).

Exactly! The camera was awful on the original. Cheap hits from off screen characters + bizarre swinging camera on timed jumps, not to mention trying to be quick about things on that huge clunky OG controller.

Black is one of my all time favourite games but still has its issues too. Way better though.

xclk07

Is there a large difference playing on OG Xbox and Xbox 360? I have never owned a MS console, but one day I plan on buying a used one of the these solely to experience this game.

Izuna

Banned
Is there a large difference playing on OG Xbox and Xbox 360? I have never owned a MS console, but one day I plan on buying a used one of the these solely to experience this game.

Cutscenes are jerky on 360, otherwise, it's perfect.

I believe it runs in 720p too.

mnannola

Would love if any upcoming game would come close to this masterpiece. I'm talking AI that is actually a challenge to fight against.

An announcement of Black or NG2 or even a new entry is half the reason I check GAF every day.

NGB really is great. I played so much back then I feel like I remember every scarab location today.

Izuna

Banned
It's so bizarre to think MS has two of the best games in the genre possible on their latest platform and yet it isn't here yet. You think Hayashit is actively stopping it?

Courage

I'm loving this NG2 adoration we're getting on this forum recently, but Black is almost just as amazing, especially better in terms of level/encounter design. Where NG2 edges it out is with its combat engine, so I've found myself going back to the second game more. Both the best character action games though.

Dereck

On similar note, joebutton (one of the best karma and speed runners back in the day) is slowly putting out a weapon tutorial moveset where he talks about advanced tech and the like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Goz5QD7E_dI - movement & OL tutorial from 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIvfavFGH5I - Dragon sword
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrFLiKpUvOc - Lunar staff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1IGyT3W7kE - Nunchucks and Vigoorian Flails

Roll jump everywhere!!!!
Delightful

It's so bizarre to think MS has two of the best games in the genre possible on their latest platform and yet it isn't here yet. You think Hayashit is actively stopping it?
I don't know if Hayashi has any say so over games he didn't work on.

entremet

I played both. I preferred the Black updates. The original is really good as well. Black is just the definitive version.

Shifty

Might dust up the 360 and attempt this next time I feel like playing some NGB, though the muscle memory is pretty much all gone.

I feel like the rust sets in super fast for NG, I've been wanting to finish Black on master ninja for the longest time but I always have to start over from Normal mode or else get utterly shredded while I remember how to do.

Someday I'll beat that one doppelganger on the little island thing that you have to fight between portals.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
A true gem that deserves reintroduction into the current market. Ninja Gaiden Black did so many things that action games continue to struggle with today. It's a brilliant game.

Best character action series by a mile. It makes me question the tastes and skills of anyone who prefer God of War or Devil May Cry (or their ilk) instead.

They provide different things. I would expect anyone who knows anything about action games would appreciate both Ninja Gaiden and DMC in a big way as far as what they brought to the table. This isn't 2004 anymore.

On a very rudimentary base level, Ninja Gaiden relies on specific movement recognition, situational awareness, and iframe abuse in a lot of scenarios, whereas DMC caters to unbridled freedom, cancels, juggles, and just frame mechanics.

Both series belong in the library of any action game fan.

Top Bottom