• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden Black is very special.

Izuna

Banned
I found it too hard; too frustrating, not enough checkpoints, cheap difficulty mechanics.

EVp40jn.gif

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Black is best but I like both Black and Sigma 1. Beaten both on Master Ninja.

Fuck the haters (you know who you are) ;)

There are so many great action games from Japan but NGB has long been my favorite to replay. It deserves a straight remake with just visuals updated and nothing else changed. NG on xbox was a masterpiece of game by itself and NGB elevated it to a new level.

A.I was great and didn't feel cheap unlike NG2 at times. When I died I always felt like it was my fault in NGB for making a mistake of my own doing

xuchu

A true gem that deserves reintroduction into the current market. Ninja Gaiden Black did so many things that action games continue to struggle with today. It's a brilliant game.

They provide different things. I would expect anyone who knows anything about action games would appreciate both Ninja Gaiden and DMC in a big way as far as what they brought to the table. This isn't 2004 anymore.

On a very rudimentary base level, Ninja Gaiden relies on specific movement recognition, situational awareness, and iframe abuse in a lot of scenarios, whereas DMC caters to unbridled freedom, cancels, juggles, and just frame mechanics.

Both series belong in the library of any action game fan.

Totally agree, really struggle to see the comparison points between ninja gaiden, DMC and Bayo. They're all great but play and set out to do things so remarkably differently that it's personal preference to what you're looking for in a character action game. Ninja gaiden is more about efficiency and IF moves due to how dangerous the enemies are and DMC is more about creativity. Hell, the argument earlier on in the thread about spamming the same move over and over certainly doesn't up for DMC and Bayonetta simply due to chasing SSS ranks and pure platinums.

The 3 are all brilliant for different reasons and it's unfortunate that the genre is pretty much dead outside of platinum games.

RedFury

I honestly don't even feel those games are in the same category. They "feel" completely different to me. Can not articulate what I mean either. I think it has to do with button input, animation, and motion values between games that makes them so different to me. Like completely different games (which they obviously are) going for different things. DMC and Bayonetta are the same style. Those are completely different than Rising and Black as much as these are of each other.

A true gem that deserves reintroduction into the current market. Ninja Gaiden Black did so many things that action games continue to struggle with today. It's a brilliant game.

They provide different things. I would expect anyone who knows anything about action games would appreciate both Ninja Gaiden and DMC in a big way as far as what they brought to the table. This isn't 2004 anymore.

On a very rudimentary base level, Ninja Gaiden relies on specific movement recognition, situational awareness, and iframe abuse in a lot of scenarios, whereas DMC caters to unbridled freedom, cancels, juggles, and just frame mechanics.

Both series belong in the library of any action game fan.

This post nails it, SSS sir (or madam).

Shifty

I found it too hard; too frustrating, not enough checkpoints, cheap difficulty mechanics.

NGB is hard as nails, but definitely not cheap. It gives you the tools to deal with every hazard you encounter, the trouble comes from learning them.

A good example is the ghost fish enemies: they seem impossibly cheap and difficult at first, but they're easily defeated with the flail weapon that you get from the catacombs.

Difficulty wise, it's pretty much a fighting game. You have to accept that you'll get battered until you learn how to defend yourself and find openings to attack, but if you commit to learning the mechanics and break through the skill ceiling then you can make yourself more or less untouchable. At that point it becomes hack & slash nirvana.

NG2 vanilla on the other hand, that one has a case to be made for some of the design choices behind its difficulty. Whoof.

Blueingreen

I think Souls might not be the worst comparison, although it's definitely very different. I always compare NG to DMC but with the strong caveat that where DMC is a very offensive minded game concentrating on style and mixups, NG is a very defensive game focused more on blocking/dodging enemy attacks and finding your moments to get in and do some damage.

In that sense, a Souls comparison kind of makes sense. It's less about mastering a single weapon than in mastering multiple weapons and their movesets, and the action is much closer to DMC or Bayonetta in terms of speed and variety, but the "always be on your A game, think quickly but tactically" part of it is very Soulslike.

Good point I also want to add that although it may be trivial but I think it also somewhat boils down to the strong sense of "weight" that's pretty much the first correlation I can link between the two games. I find the two games share a sense of weight in the combat I mean I love DMC and Bayonetta bit they definitely feel more "floaty" dare I say it, also the enemies like Souls are far more aggressive in Ninja Gaiden Black compared to that of DMC and Bayonetta.

Okay, hooked up my 360 again and I own NGB - however, when I try to load it I get :

"Cannot load Ninja Gaiden Black"

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME?

(Anyone had any experience with this issue?)

Izuna

Banned
Okay, hooked up my 360 again and I own NGB - however, when I try to load it I get :

try deleting the cache -- you might lose your save or something

DrD

Still the king of the action genre imo. Nice to see God Hand getting respect too, it's my #2 behind NGB.

SephLuis

If NGB isn't the apex of its genre, then what is? DMC3SE? Bayonetta 1 or 2? NG2?

I feel that there's enough distinction between NG and Bayo/DMC style of games, that they really aren't the same genre.

NG focuses on you eliminating everyone in a room as quickly as possible while taking no damage. It's an efficient approach to combat.

Bayonetta and DMC offer you much more in terms of variety of attacks and mechanics because they want you to eliminate enemies as stylish as possible. You're not focusing on kill them, you are throwing salt in their wound in a thousand ways possible and seeing how long they last. In this type of gameplay, I think Bayo1 and DMC4SE are the tops.

kuYuri

I still have fond memories of finishing this game on MNM and doing the optional arena fights, where the game just throws those berserk knight things and the dinosaur looking enemies what felt like non-stop. The Dark Dragon Blade and I think Unlabored Flawlessness were my best friends during those sections.

Mauddib

Banned
The fact that MS hasn't funded a Ninja Gaiden sequel for the xbone that 'pulls a God of War' by modernizing the tone but maintaining solid gameplay mechanics is ridiculous.

The fact that MS hasn't funded a Ninja Gaiden sequel for the xbone at all is just insane.

dlauv

I feel like MGR is closer to NG than DMC or Bayo are.

Both focus on efficiency (you're even graded on it in MGR). Is there any problem NG fans have with MGR?

Izuna

Banned

Both focus on efficiency (you're even graded on it in MGR). Is there any problem NG fans have with MGR?

Parry System normalised a lot of the challenge and it was a boring mechanic.

Enemies really shouldn't have been damage sponges without it.

Lettuce

So can i buy NGB digitally and play it on the 360?, hows the emulation?

Shifty

So can i buy NGB digitally and play it on the 360?, hows the emulation?

Runs at 720p, and I think it even has AA. Outside of the energy barrier texture effect being glitchy, it's the best version.

If memory serves, the effect only appears in the pyramid and some of the challenges that take place on the demon world map. It makes no difference in the pyramid, but can obscure stuff and make the challenges more difficult in certain situations.

xuchu

Really?! I love MGR and S ranked revengence mode but I don't think it plays similarly to any of the ninja gaiden games. Even though yes it rewards efficiency as it's all about zandatsu, I still think it's closer to bayo simply due to it being a platinum game and sharing similar parry mechanics when using moon of mahaa kalaa in bayonetta.

Parry System normalised a lot of the challenge and it was a boring mechanic.

Enemies really shouldn't have been damage sponges without it.

Calm down,
Also, don't discourage anyone from playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma,
If you don't own the xbox, the Sigma version is fine.

SephLuis

Calm down,

I understand the many differences between vanilla 2 and sigma 2, but I am here wondering what are the differences between Sigma and Black.

Can someone post the differences in an informative manner ? I don't want this thread devolving into a discussion regarding which version is better and whatnot.

I understand the many differences between vanilla 2 and sigma 2, but I am here wondering what are the differences between Sigma and Black.

Can someone post the differences in an informative manner ? I don't want this thread devolving into a discussion regarding which version is better and whatnot.
Added content wasn't that good and difficulty balance was easier. Still worth playing if it's your only option

Izuna

Banned
Calm down,

You're not telling me to calm down because I'm overreacting, but because the mechanic didn't bore you. He asked NGB fans, I'm a fan, and I have an opinion. I'm not pretending to be objective.

I would discourage people from playing Sigma if they have any opportunity to play Black instead. Most people will only play through these games a single time and it's better to play it where it's best. Some of the AI changes in Sigma make it a far less enjoyable game where it appears that higher difficulties don't have their AI patterns working, as such, becoming smarter or more complex to deal with.

ewww what is this

xuchu

Here you go. Scroll down to Xbox to PS3 changes section which details all the changes from big (added Rachel chapters) to small (karma and combo counter changes). Shows you all the differences between NG04, NGB and NGS in a clear and objective manner, no opinions:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/935677-ninja-gaiden-sigma/faqs/49145

While NGS is largely the same game as NGB, there are more subtle gameplay changes that only become really apparent at very high levels of play.
- A subtle change is the that NGB back roll has become a back flip. This has the same recovery frames but smaller distance. While this is a minute difference, for speedrunners this is a big difference as minute changes make a big impact to times.
- They also changed the way karma (score attack) running worked which meant it never was as competitive as it was in NGB.
- Lots of people did not like added Rachel chapters and it arguably hurt the pacing.
- There were some additional enemy changes such as motorcycle enemies, which some people thought were hit or miss. I honestly liked guillotine throwing them off their bikes.
- In order to combat some boss loops, they changed AI to some bosses but new loops were discovered that were actually more consistent.
- Took out some puzzles and platforming sections. Personally liked the puzzles but hated platforming in NGB. I still fall down like 10 times when trying to get the dark dragon blade at the end regardless of version though.

However, it's the lack of opening CG movie, lack of two unlockable costumes and omission of NES or arcade ninja gaiden unlockables that makes me prefer NGB. Only joking
but am I?

But even saying all this, NGB and NGS are 90% similar and if you only have PS3 go for it, it's totally fine and still a great game :)

The NG2 to NGS2 changes are far more egregious and I've covered that earlier in the thread.

-------------------------------
Edit: Forgot that you can also use items on the fly without going into the menu, which is good change. However, you can argue this makes the game a bit easier as you can use healing items when caught in a grab, whereas you can't do this in NGB.

Another cool addition is that if you defeat doku in NGS chapter 2 you unlock next difficulty level instantly without having to beat the game.

All of this and more is found in the FAQ posted above though.

Hesh

How does Black compare to Sigma on PS3? I have both but I haven't played them yet, just wondering which version is superior. I played the original Xbox Ninja Gaiden back when it first came out and I remember getting worked by the first boss, then making it to an airship level and after I combo'd myself over the ledge to my death I turned the game off and moved to something else. I was a kid back then, though, so I'm interested in giving it a proper go now.

Izuna

Banned
How does Black compare to Sigma on PS3? I have both but I haven't played them yet, just wondering which version is superior. I played the original Xbox Ninja Gaiden back when it first came out and I remember getting worked by the first boss, then making it to an airship level and after I combo'd myself over the ledge to my death I turned the game off and moved to something else. I was a kid back then, though, so I'm interested in giving it a proper go now.

Black is superior

xuchu

Honestly, they're both great. Just play whichever one that uses the controller you prefer.

Hesh

Honestly, they're both great. Just play whichever one that uses the controller you prefer.

Controller doesn't really matter to me, does NG:B work well on the Xbox 360? My Sony Trinitron is in storage right now so I can't play my OG Xbox games in glorious S-Video at the moment.

Izuna

Banned
Controller doesn't really matter to me, does NG:B work well on the Xbox 360? My Sony Trinitron is in storage right now so I can't play my OG Xbox games in glorious S-Video at the moment.

Works perfectly outside of the cutscenes having low framerate.

xuchu

Ah yes, in that case, I would reccommend NGB on 360. I'm pretty sure you can find it on the Xbox marketplace and it runs great in 360. The only real difference is that cutscenes are bit jerky and runs at a lower resolution. The actual gameplay can be run at 720p.

Raptomex

I beat this for the first time a year or two ago and it was a truly rewarding experience. My favorite game in the series. Sigma was alright but I prefer Black.

Jetboxx

The fact that MS hasn't funded a Ninja Gaiden sequel for the xbone that 'pulls a God of War' by modernizing the tone but maintaining solid gameplay mechanics is ridiculous.
We don't need a Ninja Gaiden game created without Itagaki (it would be another ugly bastard). We need a new game by Itagaki.

We don't need a Ninja Gaiden game created without Itagaki (it would be another ugly bastard). We need a new game by Itagaki.

True,
but Itagaki needs a bigger budget and some of team Ninja back,
I honestly thought that he had taken the best of Team ninja with him, but I dunno anymore.

Top Bottom