• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Games: what does this thing have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OddworldBOY

Neo Member
Mario 3D Land is the heat. It's a solid mix of Mario N64 and New Super Mario Bros. The 3D is great and this game uses it pretty well.

I have a question that hopefully GAF can answer ...

You see, I get terrible motion sickness when playing bioshock 2 or Crysis 2 with all that head bobbling and stuff. I know the 3D of the 3DS will do the same to me (because I've had it happen with 3D TV's and Movies.) So my question is, Can I play 3DS games without the 3D, and will they look ok ? Cuz like when you look at a 3D tv without glasses it looks terrible ! The same is true for magazines and such.

Take RE: Revelations for example, if I played it with 3D off, would it look good ? Or by turning 3D off am I lowering the graphic fidelity/Image Quality ?

Thanks to anyone who answers.
Yeah, the demo looked better with the 3D off in my opinion (RE Revelaitons) but for Mario 3D Land & Mario Kart it looks amazing :D

You see, I get terrible motion sickness when playing bioshock 2 or Crysis 2 with all that head bobbling and stuff. I know the 3D of the 3DS will do the same to me (because I've had it happen with 3D TV's and Movies.) So my question is, Can I play 3DS games without the 3D, and will they look ok ? Cuz like when you look at a 3D tv without glasses it looks terrible ! The same is true for magazines and such.

Take RE: Revelations for example, if I played it with 3D off, would it look good ? Or by turning 3D off am I lowering the graphic fidelity/Image Quality ?

It looks fine with 3D off, although I'd still give it a try. I find 3DS 3D to be the most palatable 3D that I've experienced yet.

Kerub

Banned

Revelations looks better with 3d off, it's less aliased that way.

Bumhead

Banned
There's a slider on the side of the unit which allows you to adjust the 3D, including having it off completely.

Having 3D off actually improves the graphics. I tend to find having 3D on compromises the aliasing significantly, resulting in lots of jaggy edges etc, and you have also have issues such as ghosting etc in some games. But, that said, when the 3D is done well it looks great as well. I think 3D enhances Mario Land in particular.

3D Land, you kinda need the 3D on. Star Fox, OoT and RE actually look better with the 3D off.

Yeah, the demo looked better with the 3D off in my opinion (RE Revelaitons) but for Mario 3D Land & Mario Kart it looks amazing :D

It looks fine with 3D off, although I'd still give it a try. I find 3DS 3D to be the most palatable 3D that I've experienced yet.

Revelations looks better with 3d off, it's less aliased that way.

There's a slider on the side of the unit which allows you to adjust the 3D, including having it off completely.

Having 3D off actually improves the graphics. I tend to find having 3D on compromises the aliasing significantly, resulting in lots of jaggy edges etc, and you have also have issues such as ghosting etc in some games. But, that said, when the 3D is done well it looks great as well. I think 3D enhances Mario Land in particular.

Perfect ! Then I look forward to purchasing a 3DS ! I will do as Inferno said and give the 3D a try, but I'm not expecting much. Here's to hoping the 3DS get's a Castlevania like the DS one's !

I know this isn't a game question, but are you guys still using stock 3DS batteries, or are you using the Nyko ones?

I'm fine with the stock battery. I'm doing pretty well with it as long as I put it in the dock when I'm not using it. I keep it next to my laptop so It's not a big deal to leave it in there.

Marco1

I hope MGS3 is great as I was going to purchase the HD collection for 360 but MGS3 is the only one I want and I would prefer to have it on handheld and hope that the 3D helps.
Also please lower the prices of pilotwings and starfox in the UK.

Bumhead

Banned
I know this isn't a game question, but are you guys still using stock 3DS batteries, or are you using the Nyko ones?

Never been as issue for me. I keep my 3DS on the cradle when not in use.

Think I've only had an orange low battery light once.

Marco1

You won't have any problems with the battery, turn off or down settings such as wi-fi and brightness. Although I find the power saving brightness option gives a yellowish when turned on.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member

I haven't had any issues. The lowest my battery has ever gone is 2/4 -- I always put it in the cradle when I'm not using it (it's left on sleep mode).

Cuu

Anyone play Mutant Mudds on the eshop? Dig the 3D effects, but the gameplay looks a little limited. Any impressions?

So far so good with Mutant Mudds. Can't complain at all with my purchase. It's a lot more challenging than I thought it would be. The controls are tight and it takes a lot of skill to pull off some things in this game. I've had to take breaks from the game.

I was skeptical at first, but the reviews for this game aren't lying. It's a solid game.

hitmon

I use the Nyko one. The only drawback is I don't think its compatible with that circle pad add-on. I'll take battery life over that thing anyways though.

IrishNinja

3D Land, you kinda need the 3D on. Star Fox, OoT and RE actually look better with the 3D off.

i thought star fox looked great with 3D on, personally. but yeah, you can totally play it without.

Just playing through Fusion (ambassador on 3DS) and it just makes me want Super Metroid so much more, hell, Zero Mission would be better than this.

{in case you didn't realise, I don't rate Fusion that highly)

why is Fusion being put down around here lately? man, i wish i could buy it from you ambassador kids, ya'll aint worthy.

Bii

I just converted to a Nyko Powerpak+ user two weeks ago. I could have used this thing when I traveled during Christmas from California to Washington and back. Then again, I do leave my wireless on so that I can street pass with others when I'm not playing. Aside from that, I didn't have any issues with the stock batteries as I had stuck to a routine when using it. I take it with me to work while in sleep mode (with wireless on) to count steps and street pass. After I get home, I dock my 3DS in its cradle/charger and depending on my mood, I'll either start playing it or wait until an hour or two before I head off to sleep. After I'm done, I dock it and repeat the next day.

Since I've had the Powerpak+, I'll skip a day of charging since it lasts about twice as long over the stock battery. Once the Circle Pad Pro is released here in the US, I'll switch back to my stock battery. I'll pop the Nyko battery in if I plan to take a trip where an outlet isn't conveniently available.

I use the Nyko one. The only drawback is I don't think its compatible with that circle pad add-on. I'll take battery life over that thing anyways though.

Same here. Resident Evil plays fine without it, and, judging by the controls of Birth by Sleep, Kingdom Hearts will, too. The only game I think actually needs it is MGS3 because Peace Walker is such a miserable experience on the PSP, but I'm probably not going to get MGS3 anyway.

Zebra

So far so good with Mutant Mudds. Can't complain at all with my purchase. It's a lot more challenging than I thought it would be. The controls are tight and it takes a lot of skill to pull off some things in this game. I've had to take breaks from the game.

I was skeptical at first, but the reviews for this game aren't lying. It's a solid game.

This game reminded me of how much I suck at video games. I still enjoy it though.

Many already answered but basically, it depends on the game as to whether I myself have the 3D on or off.

I don't speak technically but to me, most games look cleaner and have better colors with the 3D OFF but you lose the "holy shit, the depth is so cool" with it off.

Resident Evil(only played the demo but I'll probably have the same stance while playing the real game) looks great in 3D but amazing in 2D.

I'll be playing it likely first run in 2D, then again(whatever mode) in 3D.

IrishNinja

yeah I loved star fox in 3D.

OoT was solid as long as I had it about halfway.

might try OoT at halfway myself then, when i get around to it - some of the zones in Mario 3D land, around 5th stage i wanna say? when you're jumping from high up to small platforms...man, the 3D there was messing with my head a bit, might just be me. looked cool but felt weird!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
OoT's 3D doesn't bother me too much, and it has some pretty neat effects, but it looks a lot better in 2D mode. The AA makes a big difference.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I'm currently playing through OOT since I got the Zelda 3DS Bundle, and I actually prefer the 3d look for OOT. I'm not a big 3d guy either, and never go see 3d movies EVER. I just feel a little something is lost when I go into 2d mode after seeing 3d mode for OOT.

3DS got panned by gamers early on, but when Mario Kart and Mario 3D Land came out, people changed their minds. I personally love the system and take it everywhere.

Portugeezer

I'm currently playing through OOT since I got the Zelda 3DS Bundle, and I actually prefer the 3d look for OOT. I'm not a big 3d guy either, and never go see 3d movies EVER. I just feel a little something is lost when I go into 2d mode after seeing 3d mode for OOT.

At least in 2D they add some anti aliasing, unlike Mario 3D land which is jaggy even in 2D. I prefer 3D, no matter how small the amount because I notice the resolution bump, makes everything look clearer and more crisp.

3DS got panned by gamers early on, but when Mario Kart and Mario 3D Land came out, people changed their minds. I personally love the system and take it everywhere.

I don't take it everywhere but i'm definately impressed with the amount of solid games already out and still within the first year.

The library is starting to really look impressive and now with revelations looking top notch, I can't wait to see what developers can come up with and push the hardware..

Perfect ! Then I look forward to purchasing a 3DS ! I will do as Inferno said and give the 3D a try, but I'm not expecting much. Here's to hoping the 3DS get's a Castlevania like the DS one's !

Good [wo]man :). Please do give the 3D a whirl although you might want to ease yourself into it if you have problems with 3D, as you say. Remember that the 3D slider allows you to configure the strength of the 3D or completely turn it off at all times. 'Real time 3D change', as it were. Both SM3DL and MK7 are quite gentle on the eyes as the 3D goes in 3Ds games so they might be good ones to start with if you are interested in either of those games. Pilotwings is wonderful but on full 3D it is pretty intense. Also Revalaitons is too if you turn it up in game, apparently.

However, none of the games require 3D to be on to be playable but it really does add to the games if you are able to use it okay.

It's a wonderful little machine so have fun when you get one :).

I hope MGS3 is great as I was going to purchase the HD collection for 360 but MGS3 is the only one I want and I would prefer to have it on handheld and hope that the 3D helps.
Also please lower the prices of pilotwings and starfox in the UK.

These can be had very cheaply now if you shop around. Have a look in the cheap arse gaffer thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34664442#post34664442 as I am pretty sure both of these have been mentioned in there recently.

Although Pushmo/Pullbox doesn't require 3D, I find playing it with 3D a lot easier and more enjoyable. For other titles I usually turn it off, just doesn't seem worth it.

Although Pushmo/Pullbox doesn't require 3D, I find playing it with 3D a lot easier and more enjoyable. For other titles I usually turn it off, just doesn't seem worth it.

I play everything in 3D, i'm probably in the minority but i find it actually adds to the experience. I was dubious at the start because I read all the people complaining about it, but I have it on constantly, i'm suprised because i thought it wouldn't add much other than making things pop out of the screen.

Oh I do too but then I play everything with 3D on full :). When I accidentally turn it off everything looks so lifeless and, well, flat [durr] until I realise and put the 3D back on. However it is only fair to tell someone who is curious about the machine that 3D is not a requirement and they can play and enjoy the games without it :).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
At least in 2D they add some anti aliasing, unlike Mario 3D land which is jaggy even in 2D. I prefer 3D, no matter how small the amount because I notice the resolution bump, makes everything look clearer and more crisp.

Only game I've had issue with this is the RE Demo. Granted I'm a newer owner (about a month with the system), but man that RE Demo is hella jaggie in 3d. Like noticeably OMGWTFMYEYES in 3d verses 2d. OOT has some aliasing issues, but they aren't even close to has bad in 3d.

Not in the original rez mode, which is what I use exclusively.

Is that the mode where you have a game boy/game boy color frame around the tiny actual game screen? I tried that once with Link's awakening and my eyes were about to explode. I can't imagining using that all the time.

For those who don't know how to do this, hold start or select as the game is booting up. Not sure if it works with all games but it worked with Zelda.

Is that the mode where you have a game boy/game boy color frame around the tiny actual game screen? I tried that once with Link's awakening and my eyes were about to explode. I can't imagining using that all the time.

For those who don't know how to do this, hold start or select as the game is booting up. Not sure if it works with all games but it worked with Zelda.

Yeah, it is. Works with every game (except NES stuff) but so far only GB & GBC have the 3D borders.

Alpha_eX

I gave up on Pushbox because of the really slow unskipable tutorials, it's awful. After half an hour (really) or tutorials and hand holding I gave up. I miss when games were games and tutorials/instructions were in the box if needed.

I gave up on Pushbox because of the really slow unskipable tutorials, it's awful. After half an hour (really) or tutorials and hand holding I gave up. I miss when games were games and tutorials/instructions were in the box if needed.

Shame, as 31 minutes in it gets awesome.

I'm hoping an obsessive 3DS owner such as myself can jump in and help me here so I don't seem too weird.....
The fact I can't unlock all of the Usage Tips in the Sound and Camera apps is driving me crazy!

Has anybody got in Sound the numbers:
003, 005, 040, 089, 090, 091

and in Camera:
005, 030, 043, 084, 085, 087, 088, 089, 091-096, 098-108, 110

and if so, what are they? I really want to unlock them all :lol

PKrockin

I'm hoping an obsessive 3DS owner such as myself can jump in and help me here so I don't seem too weird.....
The fact I can't unlock all of the Usage Tips in the Sound and Camera apps is driving me crazy!

Has anybody got in Sound the numbers:
003, 005, 040, 089, 090, 091

and in Camera:
005, 030, 043, 084, 085, 087, 088, 089, 091-096, 098-108, 110

and if so, what are they? I really want to unlock them all :lol

You are a strange, strange person.

003 Take a break
"Why not take a short break?"

That really got on my tits too but I fortunately stuck with it and got onto the puzzles proper. Once you do that the game really gets out of your way and you are left to solve [or flounder] at your own pace, in peace.

Perhaps once the irritation has passed you might go back to it and try again? You might as well since you have paid for it afterall and it would be a shame to not get more fun out of it? :)

M3d10n

The only games I know where this is true are the Capcom games, Ocarina of Time and Dead or Alive. Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart, as example, look and perform exactly the same with 3D on or off.

Also, despise reports of the contrary, on all the Capcom games performance is exactly the same in 3D and in 2D: the game still renders everything twice in 2D, but combines the images to produce 2X antialiasing. This is true even in SSFIV 3D: you only get 60fps if you disable 3D in the in-game options (which also disables the antialiasing).

Portugeezer

Only game I've had issue with this is the RE Demo. Granted I'm a newer owner (about a month with the system), but man that RE Demo is hella jaggie in 3d. Like noticeably OMGWTFMYEYES in 3d verses 2d. OOT has some aliasing issues, but they aren't even close to has bad in 3d.

Mainly the texture work becomes very jagged in 3D in Resident Evil, the rest is pretty good.

Yoona

Banned

I usually just play it with the 3D at half or a little lower. It's too much with it all the way up. Sometimes I'll turn it off because it fucks up (in OoT moreso than anything) if I move the system just the slightest bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom