• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS North American Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cosmo Black 3DS with SSFIV 3D and Pilotwings Resort here.

Probably going to add Monkey Ball, Ridge Racer and Steel Diver to those ranks over the next month or two as well.

Can't WAIT.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Wow shame about steel diver length. Thought it would be meaty since its been in dev for so long. Still, if it's fun who gives a fuck? Will probably still get it. Early adoption is the time for dumb fun purchases.

That and pack ins and pokemanz will do nicely until eshop launches and better games drop.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is that Toys R Us deal also for Canada, or is it just the States alone? If it's also for Canada, I'm definitely taking advantage of it.

My 3DS is completely paid off, but I haven't preordered any games for it at all. I hope I get my hands on Super Street Fighter IV. It's a Nintendo hardware release, so you bet I'm psyched. Next week is going to be awesome.

...holy crap, that P&G case looks amazing! *drool*

antonz

Picking up Blue 3DS, SteelDiver,Street Fighter and Nintendogs Poodle right away. will see what reviews say for others

Amir0x

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
Yeah, that was posted above, but the question is, how exactly could they ruin the port, when we've seen videos of the game in motion, both professionally produced ones from Nintendo and one German "over the shoulder" video? Heck, even the old DS port got good review scores back in its day.

You either have a terrible memory or a really curiously selective one. Rayman DS got abysmal reviews and was considered one of the worst launch titles. It wasn't Ping Pals, but it was garbage.

Fernando Rocker said:
And still, no one believes me about the goodness of Super Monkey Ball 3DS...

You think Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz is one of the best Monkey Ball games. It kind of makes it difficult to respect your opinion on the series. Banana Blitz is easily the worst non-handheld Monkey Ball game; it's not even a competition.

The problem with recent Monkey Ball games is not content. It's neutered, pussified gameplay for the casual set and non-stop onslaught of new "gimmicks" that are completely terrible in every way. The mini-games all suck now. The bosses sucked in Blitz. Every new feature they added was horrendous. They corrupted what was a supremely hardcore arcade title into a series of ever easier, shittier designed levels and corrosive, convoluted feature sets - each Monkey Ball game gets even easier, even less refined.

From everything I've read about Monkey Ball 3DS, that remains the case here. I wish it weren't, I'm a huge Monkey Ball fan, but I think most people are smart to not fall for it again.

NGamer said:
"Ubisoft held Rayman back so no one would see how crap it is, basically. Without spoiling the score, it's one of our lowest rated 3DS launch titles. Along with Splinter Cell and *shudders* Asphalt 3D. Ubisoft have only gone and blighted a Nintendo hardware launch with dodgy ports again. Ghost Recon, however, is one of the better launch games. Kittsy's personal favourite, in fact. Check the blog tomorrow for some abridged opinions of all the launch games."

Fuck, I knew it. Thank god... I almost fell for that shit again

Cranzor

I'm going to order the red and blue Mario pouches for my brother and I to put our 3DSs in as a case. That's all I need really, I keep my games in the cases so I don't need much room.

I just cancelled my preorder at Gamestop and switched it over to Amazon. So release day shipping is not free? I did supersaver because that seemed like me only option.

Neuromancer said:
Hype hype hype!

I'm getting a Cosmos Black 3DS with Pilotwings and Nintencats. Also this case:

Unfortunately my Gamestop isn't doing a midnight launch so I'll be getting up early Sunday morning.
Dude, dat case! You just sold one for Amazon, demand kickbacks.

Cosmo Black 3DS and Street Fighter preordered from Amazon. That's the only 3DS title I'm interested in at the moment, so I have Pokemon to keep me entertained for a while as well.

Anth0ny

I'm so not hyped. After actually playing Pilotwings and SF4, the hype has really died for for me =(

I'm contemplating whether I want to pick up SF4 or Pilotwings, but I might just pass on both for the time being. I really want to play through Mario 64 with the analog stick, and I still have lots of Pokemon to play.

I guess AR cards will have to suffice if I feel like playing 3D (which I won't, at least not very often).

ascully

I ordered the Blue with Ridge Racer & Pilotwings. Going to use my old DS Lite case to keep it protected. Recycle FTW.

Amir0x said:
Fuck, I knew it. Thank god... I almost fell for that shit again
Yeah, but as I've said, what really could they have done to it, that isn't visible on the videos? 3D, but someone here said the 3D was fine outside of cutscenes. I have the game, the manual mentions one questionable choice of the circle-pad controlling the character and the d-pad controlling the camera, but that doesn't seem like a gamebreaking flaw (unless you really need to control both at the same time all the time).

Skilletor

I have an aqua blue preordered but I'm not sure if I want to pick it up now or just wait until May when DoA:D releases. Nothing I want at launch.

I'm a sucker for new shit, so I know if I don't buy it I'll regret it as soon as I see somebody with one.

Glix

I saw some copies of Mario 64 at best buy and I'm seriously considering picking it up.

Can't believe its still 30 bucks...

They also had more copies of FFXIII for XBOX than any of you could possibly imagine. Like an insane amount.

EDIT - wow, its still 35 at Gamestop! laughter @ all you people saying you are gonna pick up Pilotwings/steel diver cheaper in a few months.

Amir0x

Banned
Why do they call it Cosmo Black anyway? What's Cosmo about it?

Dreamwriter said:
Yeah, but as I've said, what really could they have done to it, that isn't visible on the videos? 3D, but someone here said the 3D was fine outside of cutscenes. I have the game, the manual mentions one questionable choice of the circle-pad controlling the character and the d-pad controlling the camera, but that doesn't seem like a gamebreaking flaw (unless you really need to control both at the same time all the time).

You have an awfully lot of confidence in it considering you failed to remember how terrible Rayman DS played and was received :p

Anyway, it's quite easy what they could have done to it. It's a port of a Dreamcast game; therefore, as is now clear, the likely substantial slowdown and other likely issues are huge for a port.

You cannot judge how bad it is from a youtube video. You absolutely need real hands on with a title to judge the level of slowdown and the little details that ruin the best intended ports.

Only this is a Ubisoft handheld port, so we know on top of everything else the intentions are bad.

Amir0x said:
Why do they call it Cosmo Black anyway? What's Cosmo about it?
Because it's as black as space silly, or at least it's supposed to be. Nintendo also thinks green is blue so I wouldn't press them on the issue.

I thought I only had SFIV on pre-order but I just realized I have Steel Diver too. What's the consensus looking like on that one?

Amir0x

Banned
Glix said:
It's sparkley

speaking of that, who thought sparkles were a good idea? I hate this new trend. I'm seeing sparkles embedded in a lot of devices these days.

I'm not a five year old girl. Sparkles are so passé.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Getting Cosmo Black and Super Street Fighter 4 3D Edition. Maybe wait till other releases since Rayman seems to be the worst reviewed 3DS game by one of the reviewers telling me that its a lame port.

Balb

Interested in playing quite a few of the launch games but I'd say none of them except SSFIV are worth $40 so I can wait to buy those later.

RpgN

Amir0x said:
speaking of that, who thought sparkles were a good idea? I hate this new trend. I'm seeing sparkles embedded in a lot of devices these days.

I'm not a five year old girl. Sparkles are so passé.

Some people like sparkles :( I love my white slim PSP full with sparkles...

And not a Katie Perry fan :p

Amir0x

Banned
RpgN said:
Some people like sparkles :( I love my white slim PSP full with sparkles...

And not a Katie Perry fan :p
Yes, all these PSPs got sparkles too. Nearly destroyed the sleek look of the thing!

Glix

Thinking more about the Cosmo Black thing...

I wonder if its a shot at Michael Richards?

I'm an idiot :)

Amir0x said:
You have an awfully lot of confidence in it considering you failed to remember how terrible Rayman DS played and was received :p

Anyway, it's quite easy what they could have done to it. It's a port of a Dreamcast game; therefore, as is now clear, the likely substantial slowdown and other likely issues are huge for a port.

You cannot judge how bad it is from a youtube video. You absolutely need real hands on with a title to judge the level of slowdown and the little details that ruin the best intended ports.

Only this is a Ubisoft handheld port, so we know on top of everything else the intentions are bad.
You can too judge if the framerate would be bad enough to severely affect gameplay from both a YouTube video and Nintendo's video. Now, maybe it gets really bad at other parts of the game, but at least parts they showed had a perfectly acceptable framerate. Which is my point, we've seen the game being played, and we know the game is a port of the Dreamcast version, not a remake or anything. It's not that I have a lot of confidence in the game, just that there's not really a lot left that can go wrong. Controls, 3D, maybe sound (though in the German video you could hear some of the sound). Unless it's something completely unexpected and dumb, like cutting off half the levels.

Glix

Dreamwriter said:
You can too judge if the framerate would be bad enough to severely affect gameplay from both a YouTube video and Nintendo's video. Now, maybe it gets really bad at other parts of the game, but at least parts they showed had a perfectly acceptable framerate. Which is my point, we've seen the game being played, and we know the game is a port of the Dreamcast version, not a remake or anything. It's not that I have a lot of confidence in the game, just that there's not really a lot left that can go wrong. Controls, 3D, maybe sound (though in the German video you could hear some of the sound). Unless it's something completely unexpected and dumb, like cutting off half the levels.

That right there is a pretty big thing.

low-G

Izayoi said:
That shit makes zero sense to me.

Shitty game #765234 - MIDNIGHT LAUNCH OMG SO COOL

First new console in half a decade - nothing.

Fuck off.

At my personal store it seems they only have a handful of 3DS's preordered (I don't know the exact number, but it seems <20). It's the cost of having the store open.

Amir0x

Banned
Dreamwriter said:

Why don't you wait for the reviews to see just how much can go wrong?

Trust me, you absolutely cannot tell how playable a game is for the duration through a youtube video. I cannot even calculate how many times a video was made to look moderately playable, only to actually get my hands on something and for it to be an unmitigated disaster.

Amir0x

Banned
Glix said:
Anyone thinking about picking up Monster Tale with their 3DS?

I'm such a sucker for a Metroidvania

Monster Tale?

Edit: Says Pet Simulator mixed Metroidvania. I cannot think of a more polarizing combination. Pet Simulators are garbage; Metroidvania is amazing. Bipolar total.

Boogiepop

With the Toys R Us deal, would I be able to make sure I don't get screwed on it by going into the store now/soon and pre-ordering the two I want to make sure they'll be there, or does that sort of thing not work with Toys R Us?

Glix said:

Speaking of...

There better be a 3DS Castlevania in the future and it better be in 2D/2.5D!!!!!

A Nintendo portable without those games isn't a Nintendo portable at all.

Glix said:

That or Okamiden will be something I get a bit after launch, for sure.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Speaking of...

There better be a 3DS Castlevania in the future and it better be in 2D/2.5D!!!!!

A Nintendo portable without those games isn't a Nintendo portable at all.

I honestly can't see it NOT happening...

Briefly looked like I might actually consider buying Rayman, but it now looks like I won't be buying any 3DS software (at full price, anyway) until Crush 3D or Zelda is out, whichever comes first. Good thing I just bought Okamiden.

Clipper

I'm getting the Aqua with Steel Diver, Pilotwings Resort, Lego Star Wars III and Nintendogs (French Bulldog). I'll also be getting Rayman eventually, probably when it hits the bargain bins. Even though it's a potentially dodgy port, it's still one of my favourite games of all time.

I'm just glad it should arrive before the Aussie launch day. With courier shipping via Amazon, it should arrive on the 30th, or something like that. That's unless they are really awesome and ship on Friday (yeah, right)...

Anth0ny said:
I'm so not hyped. After actually playing Pilotwings and SF4, the hype has really died for for me =(

I'm contemplating whether I want to pick up SF4 or Pilotwings, but I might just pass on both for the time being. I really want to play through Mario 64 with the analog stick, and I still have lots of Pokemon to play.

I guess AR cards will have to suffice if I feel like playing 3D (which I won't, at least not very often).
You realise that when playing Mario 64 DS, it's only a digital stick, right?

Glix

Amir0x said:
Monster Tale?

Edit: Says Pet Simulator mixed Metroidvania. I cannot think of a more polarizing combination. Pet Simulators are garbage; Metroidvania is amazing. Bipolar total.

Its made by the Henry Hatsworth dudes, and the spritework/animation look beautiful, very reminiscent of Shante.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom