• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo addresses the Samus Returns Amiibo controversy (USGamer)

Would making it cheaper DLC hurt amiibo's sales potential?

Possibly. Also more than possible that everyone whining just whine for the sake of it and never intended to buy the game or buy Nintendo systems and just pop up in every Nintendo thread there is and resort to hyperbole while they wait for Knack 2 to release.

It's possible.

Nekketsu Kõha;245745068 said:
Possibly. Also more than possible that everyone whining just whine for the sake of it and never intended to buy the game or buy Nintendo systems and just pop up in every Nintendo thread there is and resort to hyperbole and insanity while they wait for Knack 2 to release.

It's possible.

Man this guy is going full fanboy. Barely trying to hide it.
And he's doing it for free.

jacobeid

Banned
Possibly. Also more than possible that everyone whining just whine for the sake of it and never intended to buy the game or buy Nintendo systems and just pop up in every Nintendo thread there is and resort to hyperbole while they wait for Knack 2 to release.

It's possible.

Yiiiiiiiikes.

How much is Reggie slipping you on the side? You surely can't shill this hard for free.

simonshinra

Neo Member
For me it would have been "acceptable" just having to use the two amiibos from the smash line, but the idea that to have the complete package I have to use four amiibos, two of which are already impossible to find in Europe is very annoying. I'm becoming less and less excited everytime new amiibos are announced, as what I think is "what will they unlock this time" and "they will be sold out and put on Ebay in half a minute"

gelf

As I said in the other thread, are the profit margins on amiibo so high that the sales lost from selling a stock limited item to people that would only buy them for the DLC really higher then the potential profit from selling DLC digitally to everyone who wants it? I just don't see it.

Selling the DLC separately as well is surely the best situation for all parties. Amiibo will still sell to collectors and the additional content will be available to a wider audience to buy.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

To answer that, you'd have to know what percentage of Amiibo are bought primarily for the in-game content. If most are buying them for the figurines themselves then it wouldn't have much impact at all.

The thing is, the additional option to just buy the DLC would help Amiibo's image of being a figurine with added benefits. You could say pay for the DLC separately in a series of games, but if you own the right Amiibo you'd get the same content for "free". It really would be a universal DLC key.

jacobeid

Banned
Nekketsu Kõha;245745570 said:
Lol you guys are funny. But also sad.

Thank you, I needed a laugh this morning :)

Hello, I'm buying the game and I own pretty much every Nintendo console and I still find this whole situation very shitty. I also have no interest in Knack 2.

He doesn't care. You hate Nintendo. Knack 2 4eva bb.

LordKano

It's possible.

Hello, I'm buying the game and I own pretty much every Nintendo console and I still find this whole situation very shitty. I also have no interest in Knack 2.

Just as sad as you insinuating it's all just Sony fans complaining.

Most of them are. The ones that are not also don't resort to hyperbole with every post. There is a hard mode. The game is probably great for anyone who likes metroid and can buy it. If Amiibo scalpers worry you so much maybe make an attempt to preorder it then if you can't get one go ahead and complain about that.

Here it isn't a scalper problem, some of us such as myself like Amiibo and thinks it is better than other forms of DLC and no I don't receive any compensation for that opinion which is obviously shared by many as these things sell like hot cakes, I also don't get paid for when I call out Nintendo over BS which I do a lot.

Knack 2 is gonna be great don't worry.

That isn't hyperbole and I also find it to be less than perfect. I also suspect your post history isn't littered with only shitposts in Nintendo threads.

Rncewind

Nekketsu Kõha;245745998 said:
Most of them are. The ones that are not also don't resort to hyperbole with every post. There is a hard mode. The game is probably great for anyone who likes metroid and can buy it. If Amiibo scalpers worry you so much maybe make an attempt to preorder it then if you can't get one go ahead and complain about that.

Here it isn't a scalper problem, some of us such as myself like Amiibo and thinks it is better than other forms of DLC and no I don't receive any compensation for that opinion which is obviously shared by many as these things sell like hot cakes, I also don't get paid for when I call out Nintendo over BS which I do a lot.

Knack 2 is gonna be great don't worry.

by your own admition you dont have a wiiu and 3ds, so i am bigger nintendo fan you. I deduce you talking still some bullshit of some the highest fanboys levels. start being a fan and stop being a fanboy

Seik

Banned

It's possible.

While I don't mind about this whole issue, since that 'super' hard mode would surely burn me off the game more than anything else. The complaints are absolutely legitimate and understandable.

You insinuating that the people upset about this are only Sony fanboys is something special though. I suggest thinking twice about posting such things. Put yourself in the shoes of people who'd like to play this mode without having to buy that Amiibo, hell, even those who are willing to buy it can't because the fucking thing is already OOS everywhere.

LordKano

That isn't hyperbole and I also find it to be less than perfect.

I don't find it "less than perfect", I find it very shitty. Amiibo content should only be costumes or crossover content that would makes sense, like how you unlock different helmets based on the amiibo you scan. Or cheat codes for kids, like with Kirby games.
Locking real content like a difficulty mode is a completely different matter and should rightfully be shat on.

While I don't mind about this whole issue, since that 'super' hard mode would surely burn me off the game. The complaints are absolutely legitimate.

You insinuating that the people upset about this are only Sony fanboys is something special though. I suggest thinking twice about posting such things. Put yourself in the shoes of people who'd like to play this mode without having to buy that Amiibo.

Nah I was going through some posts history of people complaining here and it is pretty sad really.

This situation isn't perfect and it could be a lot better as it is with all DLC but the game comes with a lot, including a hard mode and the Amiibos are not out yet.

This really isn't that big of a deal to suggest you can't buy and play this game without an amiibo is silly. So some of them gives you literally cheats to make it easier, the opposite of what someone wants playing a metroid title. The other is a costume for a hard mode.

What is it with Nintendo wanting money for difficulty levels lately? It's like they found their very own scummy niche which not even the other shitty big publishers thought of.

Keinning

If Amiibo scalpers worry you so much maybe make an attempt to preorder it then if you can't get one go ahead and complain about that.

This can't be real

"It's not nintendo's fault or the scalpers, it's your fault for not trying extra hard to make your preorder!"

But hey, what do i know, i'm a terrible sony fanboy who bought a switch instead of a PS4, can't even support the company i'm so in love with.

All this controversy and it's still miles better than any loot box model

At least with loot boxes I get what I want at some point without spending a penny, while here I need an amiibo and an NFC scanner totalling £30 to unlock this new game mode and costume.

What is it with Nintendo wanting money for difficulty levels lately? It's like they found their very own scummy niche which not even the other shitty big publishers thought of.

I didn't buy the BotW dlc because the hard mode in that seems lacking to me, you can still eat 100 apples without a penalty mid-combat so what's the point.

Rncewind

This can't be real

"It's not nintendo's fault or the scalpers, it's your fault for not trying extra hard to make your preorder!"

But hey, what do i know, i'm a terrible sony fanboy who bought a switch instead of a PS4, can't even support the company i'm so in love with.

Hey if you dont buy day one for full price you dont deserve it any better. Maybe you even come to the idea buying it used, then you SHOULD get scalped, cause thats dirty. Giving nintendo no money like a sony fanboy

Nekketsu Kõha;245746368 said:
Nah I was going through some posts history of people complaining here and it is pretty sad really.

i wonder to what conclusion people would come going through your post history

Yep. Also better than deluxe editions with extremely expensive season passes most of which are terrible that also lock a player out not just from a costume hard mode but from entire worlds/story modes and parts of the single player campaign.

Anyway, not gonna stand in the way of more outrage smh

NEO0MJ

They're not the first to do this, but it's very rare when a company does it. While it's nice that hard mode in Zelda is more than just dialing up enemy health and damage some games like Dark Souls II already did that for free.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Most of them are according to your guesswork. Just Sony fans complaining, when in reality people in general are sick of seeing this nickel and dime dlc bullshit happening to their games. Whether it's loot boxes or Amiibos, it's garbage that isn't doing consumers any favors. Nintendo doesn't get a free pass just because they're your favorite company, and you like their toys.

$15 for individual figures to unlock a costume, art gallery, sound test...
Oh, and a $20 accessory if you didn't trade in your old 3DS for the new model.

Meanwhile loot boxes are obtained for free just by playing the game.

jacobeid

Banned
Nekketsu Kõha;245746368 said:

This situation isn't perfect and it could be a lot better as it is with all DLC but the game comes with a lot, including a hard mode and the Amiibos are not out yet.

This really isn't that big of a deal to suggest you can't buy and play this game without an amiibo is silly. So some of them gives you literally cheats to make it easier, the opposite of what someone wants playing a metroid title. The other is a costume for a hard mode.

"I don't support shitty business practices, even from companies I love. Sorry that makes me a certified SONY FANBOY(TM)," he said, glancing up from the games he is currently playing: Yoshi's Island SNES, Mario Golf 3DS, and Splatoon 2.

Nintendo doesn't get a free pass just because they're your favorite company, and you like their toys.

Apparently they do.

LordRaptor

Locking real content like a difficulty mode is a completely different matter and should rightfully be shat on.

I just don't see difficulty select as "real content" or "entire gamemodes" especially when its going to be as shitty as it was in LOZ:TPHD which is just "take extra damage" with basically no fucks given as to balancing.

Its like those bootleg gameboy cartridges that had "over 50 games!" when they didn't, they had about 5 and then some slightly tweaked variables presented as a whole new game.

At least with loot boxes I get what I want at some point without spending a penny, while here I need an amiibo and an NFC scanner totalling £30 to unlock this new game mode and costume.
We're going to include the NFC scanner AND defend loot boxes? Now I know you're all pushing the boundaries of outrage here.
Nekketsu Kõha;245746474 said:
Yep. Also better than deluxe editions with extremely expensive season passes most of which are terrible that also lock a player out not just from a costume hard mode but from entire worlds/story modes and parts of the single player campaign.

Anyway, not gonna stand in the way of more outrage smh
That's wise. These threads are mostly just people venting anyway.

"I don't support shitty business practices, even from companies I love. Sorry that makes me a certified SONY FANBOY(TM)," he said, glancing up from the games he is currently playing: Yoshi's Island SNES, Mario Golf 3DS, and Splatoon 2.

Apparently they do.

Which reminds me. Gotta play some Salmon Run soon provided it is available. Such a great game and having a blast with it.

We're going to include the NFC scanner AND defend loot boxes? Now I know you're all pushing the boundaries of outrage here.

That's wise. These threads are mostly just people venting anyway.

Yep time to get out of the way lol

Rncewind

do you go on medicine forums and say to people that have cancer "well i dont know what the outrage is about getting hit by a car and be dead is still worse"? And then complain because people call you out on bullshit?

you pushing some bullshit

Keinning

Yes, locking content to a figurine that is also expensive and made in limited numbers is mile better than expensive season passes avaliable to everyone (with enough money and no sense to buy them) because..... uh, what's the reasoning again? And let's not forget the fact that season passes get cheaper with time passing while figurines get more and more expensive.

I really hope this is some next level trolling instead of "serious" reasoning.

LordKano

I just don't see difficulty select as "real content" or "entire gamemodes" especially when its going to be as shitty as it was in LOZ:TPHD which is just "take extra damage" with basically no fucks given as to balancing.

Its like those bootleg gameboy cartridges that had "over 50 games!" when they didn't, they had about 5 and then some slightly tweaked variables presented as a whole new game.

I don't think we know what the difficulty mode is ? If it's as bad as what Ganondorf did in TPHD I agree that it's not a big deal but so far we don't know. Considering they're making these amiibo specifically for this game, unlike Ganondorf with TPHD, it might be different.

HotHamBoy

Nekketsu Kõha;245745570 said:
Lol you guys are funny. But also sad.
bF6Cp_d.jpg

Why can't they both be terrible?

sheaaaa

Nekketsu Kõha;245744964 said:
I explained my opinion in great detail if you keep reading the thread. Knock yourself out.

Nah you just keep comparing it to the perceived bad practices that every publisher is doing, in your mind, ignoring the fact that the vast majority of DLC is just additional content for an affordable amount of money, and something that Nintendo should also be doing with Fusion mode in Samus Returns.

But you do you, mate, and keep embarrassing yourself with every post.

Feffe

I don't think we know what the difficulty mode is ? If it's as bad as what Ganondorf did in TPHD I agree that it's not a big deal but so far we don't know. Considering they're making these amiibo specifically for this game, unlike Ganondorf with TPHD, it might be different.
So let's wait before complaining. Everyone assumed Fusion Mode was going to be the only hard mode and guess what, it wasn't.
Maybe Fusion Mode is a mere reskin, maybe it will include some post-game content like Zero Mission did. Who knows.

do you go on medicine forums and say to people that have cancer "well i dont know what the outrage is about getting hit by a car and be dead is still worse"? And then complain because people call you out on bullshit?

you pushing some bullshit
What in the

Dear lord

Did you seriously just make that comparison?

And I thought the guy on Twitter comparing Hellblade's permadeath to SLAVERY was bad

Hoo boy. I need to lie down

Medicine forums :')

Keinning

So let's wait before complaining.

But that's the problem with locking it to the amiibo. If i wait before i complain, it might turn out to be something i wanted. But because ive waited, now i can't buy the amiibo because it's out of stock. See?

LordRaptor

Given the other unlocks are "who really gives a shit?" tier (WOOO EXTRA PICTURES IN A PICTURE GALLERY! AAAAAAH A SOUNDTEST! BFD!) I really don't think fusion mode is going to be a remixed map layout with extra content.

Rncewind

What in the

Dear lord

Did you seriously just make that comparison?

And I thought the guy on Twitter comparing Hellblade's permadeath to SLAVERY was bad

Hoo boy. I need to lie down

Medicine forums :')

it seems like you being really dense for the 5 time in such topics so i thought you would need a more drastic example of your buffonory, i apologize if i offnded you. The thing what you doing is whatabotism which i called you out last time but you seem to not get it

Why does Nintendo always take the hard option? It's like they purposely go down the path of, "How can we alienate and upset more people today?" Throw the mode on as DLC onto the e-shop and call it a day. Charge the same amount as the cost of the amiibo even. Just make it accessible. Such odd business practices.

it seems like you being really dense for the 5 time in such topics so i thought you would need a more drastic example of your buffonory, i apologize if i offnded you. The thing what you doing is whatabotism which i called you out last time but you seem to not get it
You called me out last time? Which time? When? What's my 'buffoonery' here anyway?

Never mind, though. I'm out :)

Rncewind

You called me out last time? Which time? When? What's my 'buffoonery' here anyway?

Never mind, though. I'm out :)

in one the last topics of ths subject where you going on about "how people are upset about nothing". Your buffoonery here is that you come in to a topic and say but guys what about this other thing, this worse. This line of "argumentation" makes no sense what so ever.

edit: actually you are just confirming my point, i described what you did with the proper term. You quote this and ask what youre buffoonery is, its quite buffling tbh.

But that's the problem with locking it to the amiibo. If i wait before i complain, it might turn out to be something i wanted. But because ive waited, now i can't buy the amiibo because it's out of stock. See?

Then buy it anyway and sell it later for a profit since they all get scalped and more valuable with time ;)

Now if it was a season pass you could never be sure if it was worth it and you can never trade or sell it if it wasn't.

Maybe Amiibo isn't so bad afterall.

Sorry I didn't mean to interrupt you, carry on.

At least i'm sure i can buy the season pass. Maybe in wonderland where you live things can be bought just because you wished to, but in the real world, limited stocks are a thing and my country is neglected by nintendo everytime

Sounds like a problem with your country. If you live outside America, select parts of Asia and western Europe you will get that with all businesses. Not exclusively a Nintendo problem. It also sucks to live in a country with no online services for games as well but that doesn't make Xbox live or Steam etc horrible. Some countries doesn't even have consoles released.

Keinning

Nekketsu Kõha;245747090 said:
Then buy it anyway and sell it later for a profit since they all get scalped and more valuable with time ;)

Now if it was a season pass you could never be sure if it was worth it and you can never trade or sell it if it wasn't.

At least i'm sure i can buy the season pass. Maybe in wonderland where you live things can be bought just because you wished to, but in the real world, limited stocks are a thing and my country is neglected by nintendo everytime

jacobeid

Banned

Glad I can find those amiibos so easily then!

Where did you get the Nekketsu Amiibo because you are going full on hard mode here. Being part of the problem isn't the solution and Nintendo is famous for not producing enough stock to meet demand

It's still the fact that I can't just walk into the store and buy those Amiibo easily that pisses me off.

It's not out yet. There isn't even a release date.
I think they want you to pre-order. They don't want these things to sit on shelves.
People who don't pre-order and snatch the few extras they'll ship is what should piss you off.

Top Bottom