• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo addresses the Samus Returns Amiibo controversy (USGamer)

Venfayth

Nekketsu koha would probably jump off a cliff if Nintendo told him to. Or if there were amiibo at the bottom. Hope you're collecting that $hill money dude. It's sad how eager you are to stay in every thread about the topic since you joined gaf recently and argue with people (after repeatedly implying you'd leave) who have valid arguments about why amiibo are bad.

Nintendo deserve to hear every bit of criticism from every fan (and non-fan) of theirs. The people who do the most damage are the people who blindly eat this shit up, and then after the fact determine why it must be good because it's Nintendo.

Nekketsu koha would probably jump off a cliff if Nintendo told him to. Or if there were amiibo at the bottom. Hope you're collecting that $hill money dude. It's sad how eager you are to stay in every thread about the topic since you joined gaf recently and argue with people (after repeatedly implying you'd leave) who have valid arguments about why amiibo are bad.

Nintendo deserve to hear every bit of criticism from every fan (and non-fan) of theirs. The people who do the most damage are the people who blindly eat this shit up, and then after the fact determine why it must be good because it's Nintendo.
God forbid people have a different opinion on the matter

Attacking someone for that like you're doing is fucking shameful

You're on a discussion forum, for heaven's sake

jacobeid

Banned

Talk to Nekketsu then for invalidating everyone'a complaints by claiming we're all Sony fanboys.

I thought you were leaving the thread?

Venfayth

He's clearly dedicated (to a fault) to Nintendo, and he's earned some kickback, I know I'd want some if I spent as much time defending a corporation who clearly doesn't have my interests in mind.

He's probably searching my post history at this moment trying to find evidence that I only play Sony games, as he's already admitted to doing to other posters in this same thread.

Talk to Nekketsu then for invalidating everyone'a complaints by claiming we're all Sony fanboys.

I thought you were leaving the thread?

He's clearly dedicated (to a fault) to Nintendo, and he's earned some kickback, I know I'd want some if I spent as much time defending a corporation who clearly doesn't have my interests in mind.

He's probably searching my post history at this moment trying to find evidence that I only play Sony games, as he's already admitted to doing to other posters in this same thread.
I'm not anyone's spokesperson, nor do I feel that someone being unreasonable justifies being this unreasonable yourself

We're talking about amiibo here, can we get some perspective and calm down a little?

jacobeid

Banned
I'm not anyone's spokesperson, nor do I feel that someone being unreasonable justifies being this unreasonable yourself

We're talking about amiibo here, can we get some perspective and calm down a little?

Please show me one post where I've been unreasonable.

Venfayth

I'm perfectly calm. There's also no reason why we can't point out someones obvious excessive bias on a discussion board.

You just earned my ignore hard, congratulations.

Edit: funny how you ignore some of the more extreme people in an amiibo thread and all of the sudden all Nintendo threads become good again on Neogaf lol

Venfayth

Nekketsu Kõha;245748190 said:

You don't need an excuse to ignore me. I am simply expressing my opinion and how I see this and what I see is a bunch of hyperbole by the usual posters that enter every Nintendo related thread.

Oh man "medicine forums" is the best thing about this thread. And I'm sure they exist, I've just never thought about that before!

Anyway, I'm admittedly a huge Nintendo fan and I've bought something like 6-8 Amiibo, mainly the Smash Bros ones, yet I find this type of usage to be completely indefensible. Simple costumes or minor unlocks in games (like weapons in BotW that you can get elsewhere) are great Amiibo bonuses because they're either cosmetic or able to be acquired another way without finding a figurine that might be impossible to find one day.

A full game mode that changes the way the entire game works, regardless of how much it changes, being locked behind a physical object you may not be able to buy one day is ridiculous. What's going to happen in 10 years if you want to play this game but can't find the Amiibo anywhere? No Fusion Mode for you, unless they offer it digitally like they should.

Anyway, my point is you can be a Nintendo fan and still think some of their decisions are blatantly shit, including this and their execution of the voice chat app. And I also gotta check out some of these medicine forums!

LordRaptor

What's going to happen in 10 years if you want to play this game but can't find the Amiibo anywhere?

You can spoof an NFC tag and access it.
Meanwhile there are entire swathes of content lost forever on the Xbox (because original XBL was shut down) and the Wii and DS (because Gamespy was bought out) and if you don't think PSP / PS3 / Vita access to PSN is on a definite timeline you are more trusting than I am.

VDenter

Banned
Man Nekketsu Kõha posts are quite the source of entertainment, in just under 700 posts he has done more shilling for Nintendo than most have in years. Not sure if i should be impressed or feel sorry for the guy.

I feel like their statement on the matter doesn't make it any better. Difficulty modes locked behind a paywall is just not okay. This is coming from someone that likes amiibo, will buy hear amiibo, and appreciates that they give in game rewards. This is just strange, though. Same for the Zelda dlc containing a difficulty mode.

Next they gonna charge for New Game+?

Venfayth

Meanwhile there are entire swathes of content lost forever on the Xbox (because original XBL was shut down) and the Wii and DS (because Gamespy was bought out) and if you don't think PSP / PS3 / Vita access to PSN is on a definite timeline you are more trusting than I am.

I concede that in some circumstances amiibo are a better way of unlocking on-disc DLC in games but there are still far smarter approaches Nintendo could take to these situations.

Functional changes to games shouldn't be locked only behind amiibo, give us a way to unlock them in game, or even just buy them digitally, side-by-side with getting them through amiibo.

edit: Also as someone who hates having clutter and gets rid of a lot of things I don't need, if I did buy amiibo to unlock this mode I personally would hate having to keep an amiibo around just to unlock stuff in a game if I ever got a new save or needed to replace the console or whatever. That's more an issue for just me and the small handful of people like me, but still.

That's very true and I probably am a bit too trusting when I think that current/recent DLC will be retained a lot better than the original iterations of DLC. The majority of meaningful DLC gets released into complete/GOTY packages anyway, but I'm doubtful that'll happen with this game.

But as to your first point, you shouldn't have to resort to potentially illegal or just DIY methods to be able to use all of the game modes in a game. You shouldn't have to do so for Xbox live and Wii/DS games or content either.

And I'll agree with many others that locking a difficulty mode behind any DLC is bad, not that it hasn't been done before, but making it more expensive and tied to a limited item is a lot worse. I think a lot fewer people would have a problem with this if it was available digitally too.

Venfayth

I feel like having an amiibo unlock DLC that is otherwise buyable in game is a super fair solution (not sure on how price differences would work). Nintendo obviously loses a bit of profits, but since amiibo are supply constrained anyway it shouldn't be too bad.

Nintendo also then gets an easy way to explain how amiibo do more things than just being toys. They sate both crowds of people who: are upset that amiibo unlock things and feel incentivized to buy them even though they don't want them, and people who feel like the amiibo they just bought should do more for them in game.

Blue-kun

Remember when they locked an entire sub quest, sometimes collectibles and a character behind a coop mode you could play only with a GBA and a link cable?

Good times indeed.

But no one complained Wind Waker was an incomplete game without the Tingle Tuner. It was a nice extra, that's all. So it's Nintendo implementation of amiibo in most of their games, Samus Returns included. But oh well.

Remember when no one actually wanted Tingle Tuner because it was silly from the get-go? Remember when during the Gamecube era there was actually no "DLC" that Nintendo could've done on the eShop?

What's the point of trying to compare these two cases when they're not even remotely similar and are happening in a completely different gaming landscape? Things changed a lot over the years. Not to mention that, even though you don't think it matters, the fact that a Hard Mode is something a lot of Metroid fans want, while Tingle Tuner is something largely ignored by the Zelda fanbase, plays a huge role in this. If Wind Waker had a full temple locked behind having a GBA and what not, maybe you'd have seen bigger complaints about it. As it is though, they only locked something that no one actually wanted, so the joke's on them.

The real flaw with this line of thinking is that you and most people who are defending this kind of practice don't want to address the one thing everyone's asking themselves: why isn't this DLC purchaseable from the eShop for the same value as an Amiibo for people who don't want to buy a toy? Do Nintendo really think Amiibo won't sell if you can get the DLC elsewhere? I mean, if I'm a big Metoid fan and have to pay the same amount to dl a DLC or get a nice little figure alongside it, the choice is obvious on what I'd do, presuming I could find it in a store. So what do they even have to lose here? Nothing.

HardRojo

Nekketsu Kõha;245748190 said:

Edit: funny how you ignore some of the more extreme people in an amiibo thread and all of the sudden all Nintendo threads become good again on Neogaf lol
Holy shit this can't be real. I refuse to believe anyone would be this dedicated to defending a company that doesn't even pay them for it.
Edit: And why the fuck are you bringing up Knack and other stuff unrelated to the topic? Searching through people's post histories? Damn! That's some dedication.

Locking the mode is shitty, people are giving reasons why it is, but yeah, we all are simply Sony fanboys attacking poor Nintendo for no reason, as they're perfect and deserve no criticism. And that last line about Nintendo threads being better because you chose to ignore people. How old are you man? That's really childish...

jacobeid

Banned
Nekketsu Kõha;245749978 said:
You played it?

Knack 2 is gonna be Great!

The wait is taking its toll on us all.

Honestly I wish I knew what it was like to be such a fanboy to this extreme. We get it, you don't like PlayStation and think only PS fanboys are upset about this.

Go search more people's post history and get yourself banned over it lol. The account suicide posts are just adding up at this point.

All the arguments put forth in the thread are one thing, but it's far too early in the morning for this little ray of depressing reality to exist.

Oh man "medicine forums" is the best thing about this thread. And I'm sure they exist, I've just never thought about that before!

Anyway, I'm admittedly a huge Nintendo fan and I've bought something like 6-8 Amiibo, mainly the Smash Bros ones, yet I find this type of usage to be completely indefensible. Simple costumes or minor unlocks in games (like weapons in BotW that you can get elsewhere) are great Amiibo bonuses because they're either cosmetic or able to be acquired another way without finding a figurine that might be impossible to find one day.

A full game mode that changes the way the entire game works, regardless of how much it changes, being locked behind a physical object you may not be able to buy one day is ridiculous. What's going to happen in 10 years if you want to play this game but can't find the Amiibo anywhere? No Fusion Mode for you, unless they offer it digitally like they should.

Anyway, my point is you can be a Nintendo fan and still think some of their decisions are blatantly shit, including this and their execution of the voice chat app. And I also gotta check out some of these medicine forums!

Yep! I really don't understand why people would want to jump through hoops to defend this. It's like some don't understand that you can be a fan of something and still criticize it!

I buy tons of Amiibo but I don't like to open them, so I miss out on content like this when I own the darn figure! They can easily just charge $2-$3 for content like this and let people choose whether or not they want it. Amiibo owners get the best value as one figure can unlock that extra content in multiple games.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Who knows if you can even find that Amiibo in a YEAR, let alone 10.

Also, the other problem that people seem to be glossing over is the fact that if you do not have a N3DS, you are fucked, unless you pay $20 for the adapter. So, in some cases, even IF you can get your hands on the $30 set, you're paying MORE for the unlocks than the game.

I care less about the content being locked behind Amiibos and more about the Amiibos themselves being totally impossible to find.

I've been checking Amazon Spain regularly for stock since the announcement, no luck yet. I had an easier time successfully pre-ordering not one, but THREE Switch consoles on announcement day.

Honestly I wish I knew what it was like to be such a fanboy to this extreme. We get it, you don't like PlayStation and think only PS fanboys are upset about this.

Go search more people's post history and get yourself banned over it lol. The account suicide posts are just adding up at this point.

I thought he said he was leaving? How much unpaid overtime can one man do? He won't even leave when he says he's gonna because people are being mean to Nintendo.

Nekketsu Kõha;245749978 said:
You played it?

Knack 2 is gonna be Great!

The wait is taking its toll on us all.

Pretty sure there's only platform holder known for making fans go through constant waiting. Being a WiiU- instead of PS4 owner early in the gen was a more miserable experience than Knack could ever be.

Everyone needs to post a picture of them surrounded by at least two pieces of Nintendo hardware, ten games, and six amiibo for us to ensure you are qualified to have an opinion. Note that your opinions on Nintendo are still required to be positive.

Regiruler

Everyone needs to post a picture of them surrounded by at least two pieces of Nintendo hardware, ten games, and six amiibo for us to ensure you are qualified to have an opinion. Note that your opinions on Nintendo are still required to be positive.

I'll get to it when I get home.

Man Nekketsu Kõha posts are quite the source of entertainment, in just under 700 posts he has done more shilling for Nintendo than most have in years. Not sure if i should be impressed or feel sorry for the guy.

And he isn't the only one either. There's another user who already acquired the 300 posts member status almost entirely by defending Nintendo in these last couple Samus Returns threads, often even calling people who cancel a pre-order because of this amiibo business idiots.

Like, you look at the comment distribution of a 1000+ comments thread and it turns out almost a tenth of that is one person. Pretty insane.

Gator86

And he isn't the only one either. There's another user who already acquired the 300 posts member status almost entirely by defending Nintendo in these last couple Samus Returns threads, often even calling people who cancel a pre-order because of this amiibo business idiots.

Like, you look at the comment distribution of a 1000+ comments thread and it turns out almost a tenth of that is one person. Pretty insane.

Eventually, the cleansing fire of the mods will claim their souls and sanity will return.

Dammit! Once again I get a notice that the Amiibo set is up on Best Buy, but it isn't for my region/store. fucking shit sucks.

If only the Amiibos were more readily available. Especially those Nintendo and everyone else knows will be rare or popular. Nintendo knows this would be more popular than having dozens of Splatoon 1 Amiibos.

Anyways for those who hate this you have a very easy solution, don't buy the game. Screw Metroid. Those who like Metroid or don't care buy the game. Those who like both get the game and pray to find a set available since it's sold out.

I've said it in this thread and I'll say again that I am a huge Nintendo fanboy, and that I agree there's no reason there can't be an eshop equivalent. Just wanted to preface this post with that info.

In the end, the real shame is that all of this is attached to a brand new 2D Metroid game. This isn't the first time Nintendo has done this, and I can see how people would be upset about it like I've said, but I wish this anger and talks of boycotting had been applied to the Twilight Princess remake, or Captain Toad where I think you got extra levels? Don't quote me on that.

I find this happens a lot, in all mediums. It just happened yesterday to a Broadway show that in my opinion was probably the most innovative show in a long time. Great Comet just announced their show is ending after about a year, because of a controversy with one of their leads. Of course whitewashing is a large issue in TV, Hollywood, etc, but in this case they had a black actor in a role, and decided that after a month or so of him being in that role that they'd replace him with Manny Patenkin (sp?) to help sell tickets. Keep in mind this is already a majorly diverse show, but people took their anger out on this show and ultimately torpedoed ticket sales, ending its run.

I feel the same thing is happening here, just with a problem that is probably much less serious. It feels like people have randomly decided to vent their amiibo hatred on a new Metroid game of all things. It remains to be seen if this thread is a vocal minority, or if it reflects the views of many 3DS owners, but I will be so bummed if all this talk of boycotting succeeds and ends with Nintendo taking it the wrong way (you know they would) and meaning we'll have to wait another 15 years or whatever for them to touch what is one of my favorite franchises ever. Sorry for the long post, I'm just so excited for this game and want to see more of this franchise :(

tl;dr: I wish that as fans of video games we had chosen to protest this amiibo business when it started, rather than on the release of what feels like a unicorn sighting

GLAMr

Does anybody else start hearing the Benny Hill tune every time they read news about Nintendo these days?

This would be less bad if there were a digital option for unlocking the content. I'm just not interested in filling my house with shitty plastic toys just to unlock content in my games.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I want everyone to take ten deep breaths before making any additional posts in this thread

Ask yourself: is the post I'm about to submit adding positively to the hubris and texture of video game forum culture before pressing the post button

RootCause

You called me out last time? Which time? When? What's my 'buffoonery' here anyway?

Never mind, though. I'm out :)

Nekketsu Kõha;245747148 said:
Right behind you.
I've lost track of how many times you two have left this thread. :p

In all seriousness. I wish they'd offer the mode via dlc, and make everyone's life easier. I think that would fix the issue.

Zubz

Banned
Nekketsu Kõha;245745570 said:
Lol you guys are funny. But also sad.

Just chiming in as another person who owns every Nintendo system, intends to buy this game & the Amiibo, & am livid Nintendo's locking a major bit of content behind a limited run toy yet again.

I also lack any interest in Knack 2. But here's the thing: I love most of Nintendo's output. And Sony's. In fact, SEGA holds the title of my favorite first party. I absolutely hold each of them accountable for every boneheaded, anti-consumer move they make. And this is one of them.

Even ignoring the effectively $14 pricetag to this on-cart DLC ($44 if you need the Amiibo adapter on a non-New 3DS), it's bound to a toy that very well may sell out, & will not be readily available within a couple of months. If the toy is unavailable, so is the mode. It's just like how 1/6 of the Code Name STEAM roster was locked the second every FE Amiibo sold out. Which was within, like, 5 minutes, in the case of the first run for Lucina.

CuNi

While I understand that some people don't want to be forced to buy a toy just to unlock something in a game they enjoy, I also understand the desire of people buying amiibos which were promised to have something to add to the game.

I for one support the current approach. It's not a additional story Mode or something else that makes this less of a game for people without it. It's just a difficulty, one that is only unlocked after beating the game anyway, so we all get to play it the intended way. Those that like to replay games will probably do so in hard mode and I guess only a few would actually complete fusion difficulty. That's my stance on it.

While I understand that some people don't want to be forced to buy a toy just to unlock something in a game they enjoy, I also understand the desire of people buying amiibos which were promised to have something to add to the game.

I for one support the current approach. It's not a additional story Mode or something else that makes this less of a game for people without it. It's just a difficulty, one that is only unlocked after beating the game anyway, so we all get to play it the intended way. Those that like to replay games will probably do so in hard mode and I guess only a few would actually complete fusion difficulty. That's my stance on it.

A difficulty is a major deal for many players. It's the modifier between having fun and not having fun. If a game is too easy, a lot of people don't derive enjoyment from the game. It's unfair to brush it aside as something small.

I've lost track of how many times you two have left this thread. :p

In all seriousness. I wish they'd offer the mode via dlc, and make everyone's life easier. I think that would fix the issue.
Lost track already?

Shit man, let me help you out

maxresdefault.jpg

CuNi

A difficulty is a major deal for many players. It's the modifier between having fun and not having fun. If a game is too easy, a lot of people don't derive enjoyment from the game. It's unfair to brush it aside as something small.

I get that, but that's a hard argument to give here, since even if it were eshop DLC, people would first need to finish the game on normal to unlock it, so they would still have to experience the story on a difficulty that ruins the game for them. So, technically, the story would be spoiled for them either way. Not that this is a good thing for them ofc, but thats the way it is with and without fusion difficulty.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
So you manage to remember the last thread but not the posts you read?
There was ONE post that stated that Metroid Fusion did not have Hard Mode in any but the Japanese Version, which is true.

Nice try, but your pitchfork will have to wait for a different time.
I remember stuffs I read. Stuffs like:

"Metroid has never had a hard mode before...did you enjoy those games? "

"Edit: and if Zero Mission had a hard mode then we can drop the "no Metroid has ever had a hard mode" defense. Three Prime games and the last true 2D release had it. "

"t is interesting that a Hard Mode seems to be a core part of the package for so many people. At this point in time, there have been 5 2D Metroid games and only 1.5 of them feature the mode (Zero Mission and the Japanese release of Fusion)."

o.o? Dunno what the pitchfork stuffs about when I was just referencing something I'd seen in other threads (plural since there were multiple ones running concurrently which were about the same thing). Peeps who aren't riding the hype train aren't necessarily riding the hate train instead ya know.

CuNi

I remember stuffs I read. Stuffs like:

"Metroid has never had a hard mode before...did you enjoy those games? "

"Edit: and if Zero Mission had a hard mode then we can drop the "no Metroid has ever had a hard mode" defense. Three Prime games and the last true 2D release had it. "

"t is interesting that a Hard Mode seems to be a core part of the package for so many people. At this point in time, there have been 5 2D Metroid games and only 1.5 of them feature the mode (Zero Mission and the Japanese release of Fusion)."

o.o? Dunno what the pitchfork stuffs about when I was just referencing something I'd seen in other threads (plural since there were multiple ones running concurrently which were about the same thing). Peeps who aren't riding the hype train aren't necessarily riding the hate train instead ya know.

Hmm, maybe I missed those others then. My fault if thats true.

I get that, but that's a hard argument to give here, since even if it were eshop DLC, people would first need to finish the game on normal to unlock it, so they would still have to experience the story on a difficulty that ruins the game for them. So, technically, the story would be spoiled for them either way. Not that this is a good thing for them ofc, but thats the way it is with and without fusion difficulty.

Nah, not necessarily. Like most people want that difficulty option from the getgo without having to complete the game. The second method would be completing the game and THEN getting the difficulty option, which sucks, but again is more preferable to not having it or having it gated behind some plastic toy. Numerous people have said this already.

And yeah, you said eshop DLC, which is again what people are wanting in this very thread. The point is, people want options with their difficult selects, and this current method is like the most constraining one right now.

Keep repeating this since 2014 but like it's been said in many occasions the probable solutions are:
  • Release the Amiibo related content as extra DLC for players to purchase.
  • Re release every Amiibo Figure entry as a NFC card.
The card has the advantage of reduced price, less involving process to manufacture so availability in increased and far less storage requirements both for users and stores.

Now the fact that Nintendo hasn't done any of the above means they want to increase the value of the Amiibo through the cuarrent method. Which means they take seriously the value of these figures.

Top Bottom