• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces Zangeki no REGINLEIV (Wii), Last Window [Hotel Dusk 2] (DS)

That Mammoth is 70 meters?! That's over twice the size of a Blue Whale (32.9 meters)! :O

Personally I find a Mammoth at that size far more intimidating than a robot at the same size.

d+pad

I think I'm going to have to buy Reginleiv whether it comes to the States or not. I can't get enough of those huge baddies! :lol

EDarkness

duckroll said:
Brand new trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMVQY-6YwaQ

This shows off the scale of the enemies both in size and in numbers. Pretty good stuff. It also pretty much annihilates any bullshit that this is a rail shooter, since you can clearly move around freely as seen in the trailer.

I watched it, but didn't see anything to really suggest it isn't on rails to some degree. The arrows on the screen gave me the impression that you turn by clicking on them with the pointer.

Gonna watch it again, but that's my first impression so far.

*edit:* Okay. Watched it again...does seem like they're moving around without pointing at things. Still wary, but looks cool. I dig the artstyle, too.

Effect

Thanks for the link to the video. It does make it clearer it isn't on rails or in some way on a track for you to follow. The last video made it seem that I felt. The game looks more interesting though. However the movement and combat still look weird. Has anyone here played Link's Crossbow Training. Remember the second and third parts of that game, especially the second part. Where you control Link and are turning him around in 360 degree but he's still facing forward. Skeletons come at you in waves from different directions and you have to turn to meet them. That's what this sort of looks like now. However you can move forward clearly. The video makes it seem the camera is always in one direction though.

Effect said:
Thanks for the link to the video. It does make it clearer it isn't on rails or in some way on a track for you to follow. The last video made it seem that I felt. The game looks more interesting though. However the movement and combat still look weird. Has anyone here played Link's Crossbow Training. Remember the second and third parts of that game, especially the second part. Where you control Link and are turning him around in 360 degree but he's still facing forward. Skeletons come at you in waves from different directions and you have to turn to meet them. That's what this sort of looks like now. However you can move forward clearly. The video makes it seem the camera is always in one direction though.

Coop would be awesome and a reason for buy...

ksamedi

duckroll said:

This shows off the scale of the enemies both in size and in numbers. Pretty good stuff. It also pretty much annihilates any bullshit that this is a rail shooter, since you can clearly move around freely as seen in the trailer.

Another note is that Nintendo is doing something smarter than I expect! From 21st Jan to 31st March in Japan, all Game Tsutaya stores will be offering free rentals of a demo disc for the game for customers. If the game is really fun, that should definitely help push word of mouth and make it easier for consumers to decide if they want to spend 60 bucks on the game. :eek:

That trailer looks great. Maybe your prediction of 50K or something may come true after all duckroll.

duckroll

ksamedi said:
That trailer looks great. Maybe your prediction of 50K or something may come true after all duckroll.

I'm still feeling good about my predictions! :)

EDarkness said:
I watched it, but didn't see anything to really suggest it isn't on rails to some degree. The arrows on the screen gave me the impression that you turn by clicking on them with the pointer.

Gonna watch it again, but that's my first impression so far.

*edit:* Okay. Watched it again...does seem like they're moving around without pointing at things. Still wary, but looks cool. I dig the artstyle, too.

You have never played an EDF game have you... :p

Luigiv

D-Pad said:
And why is the demo disk only a rental?
Because Nintendo is too cheap to actually give the discs away but still doesn't want to charge for a demo, by the looks of things.

duckroll

Making it a rental tied in with a retail store is a great idea though. If you rent the demo, you still have to return it, and that means a return trip to the store. If you enjoyed the demo enough, that trip back to the store might just be the extra push you need to buy the game anyway.

VAIL

duckroll said:

Another note is that Nintendo is doing something smarter than I expect! From 21st Jan to 31st March in Japan, all Game Tsutaya stores will be offering free rentals of a demo disc for the game for customers. If the game is really fun, that should definitely help push word of mouth and make it easier for consumers to decide if they want to spend 60 bucks on the game. :eek:

BATTLE ELEPHANTS...game is an instant win right there....and from my limited Japanese it seems these monsters ride Giraffes and Yachts and live in classic Japanese buildings...

VAIL said:
BATTLE ELEPHANTS...game is an instant win right there....and from my limited Japanese it seems these monsters ride Giraffes and Yachts and live in classic Japanese buildings...

I think they were comparing sizes to real life objects that are that tall. They were saying that one of the monsters was 15ft or meters tall, and that a yacht is 15ft or meters tall as well. Something like that anyways.

sn00zer

Hey look at this cool shirt I have :lol
Its a one of a kind because I made it and I have owned it for 4 years, and not a single person has ever known what it was:D
4gtgcn.jpg

Dascu

The Take Out Bandit said:
If not, can Wii play imports games native or do you need a mod/hack? :(
It is very easy and even safe to hack the console. Just takes an SD card and 10 minutes of your time.

Looks awesome. Also this is interesting: Remember those blue lines in the other trailer for attacks? You can see in the gameplay in this one slashes without that line, then a blue line at the end. Maybe that blue line is kinda like a special attack and MotionPlus helps you make more accurate "normal" slashes then the special slash.

Also we now see how projectiles like arrow and magic work. Pretty cool.

Online co op FTW.

Effect

Wow. Those weapons must have extendable blades. The position of the characters and where they are attacking enemies makes no sense given their size. :lol Still I do want to play this game even more now after these latest trailer. Is this an Nintendo IP or are they just publishing this?

radcliff

Effect said:
Wow. Those weapons must have extendable blades. The position of the characters and where they are attacking enemies makes no sense given their size. :lol Still I do want to play this game even more now after these latest trailer. Is this an Nintendo IP or are they just publishing this?

I believe part of Nintendo's publishing deal with other devlopers is that Nintendo retains the rights to the IP (assuming its a new IP and not one already owned by the devloper i.e. Fatal Frame).

gamingeek

Effect said:

The two main characters are demi-gods I think. Projectile energy slashing swords FTW.

It's made by Sandlot of EDF fame, but published by Nintendo.

Agnates

Banned
Thanks for the video links, I managed to register and watch, it looks really fun!

Though if there's a high quality button please let me know, but the game looks great :D

Agnates

Banned
Hover your cursor over the site's buttons until you find the register button (notice the browser's status bar). Then of the two big buttons pick the one that doesn't say premium. Then input e-mail address, nickname, date of birth, the drop down box is location, the two similar input boxes are password and repeat, and the last is secret question and answer (i put 10 characters there). If you do it all right you'll get a new screen with captcha, then click not the last button but the one before the last, then you'll get a confirmation e-mail, then you can watch the videos. They're cool, though of horrible horrible image quality :D

Edit: Maybe it's just me but these seem to be Sandlot's best visuals and gameplay mechanics yet, though there are still crude bits (like the gigantic pieces of debris or enemies you dismembered just disappearing after a second with no fade effect or anything, it looks jarring), but overall it seems great. Love how the bigger enemies keep fighting even after you've cut a few of their parts off, and all the weapons look engaging, melee and ranged alike, none are just simple point and shoot only (well, some probably will be), they have more functions and specials and things. Sweet :D

gamingeek

Agnates said:
Hover your cursor over the site's buttons until you find the register button (notice the browser's status bar). Then of the two big buttons pick the one that doesn't say premium. Then input e-mail address, nickname, date of birth, the drop down box is location, the two similar input boxes are password and repeat, and the last is secret question and answer (i put 10 characters there). If you do it all right you'll get a new screen with captcha, then click not the last button but the one before the last, then you'll get a confirmation e-mail, then you can watch the videos. They're cool, though of horrible horrible image quality :D

Edit: Maybe it's just me but these seem to be Sandlot's best visuals and gameplay mechanics yet, though there are still crude bits (like the gigantic pieces of debris or enemies you dismembered just disappearing after a second with no fade effect or anything, it looks jarring), but overall it seems great. Love how the bigger enemies keep fighting even after you've cut a few of their parts off, and all the weapons look engaging, melee and ranged alike, none are just simple point and shoot only (well, some probably will be), they have more functions and specials and things. Sweet :D

Whoa, too complicated for me but thanks.

I'm quite impressed with the engine, I know that the textures aren't detailed or amazing, but it has a huge scale, nice art and lighting and lots of stuff going on. Everything looks polished within the limitations of the system.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wow, that looks really slick. Surprised a new IP is getting the VIP treatment from Nintendo. They must have high hopes for it.

Top Bottom