• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Channel is live.

Crushed said:
So...? Why should First Hunt, which was essentially a spruced up version of a DS tech demo from E3 2004, and practically v0.3a of the final game released two years ago, be available?

You do realize that, right? You're asking for a four-year-old tech demo that came from the development of a two-year-old DS game. If you really want an MPH demo, just put up a demo of the actual MPH.

Because that doesn't fit the point of "putting all the demos you've featured before up already".

They have dozens of demos, and they ought to make them all available.

yayaba

I wish they would just put more DS demos online. Is there a schedule of demo releases that they will be adhering to?

DavidDayton said:
The Nintendo Crosswords interface is much, much better than the NYT one... the puzzles (demo, at least) seem easier as well.

I own NYT and played the demo for CrossworDS last night. Frankly, based off the demo, I think NYT is, at least for native US/Canada folks who want some difficulty in the puzzles, the superior game.

First, I don't get what's so great about the interface for CrossworDS. It's much slower interpreting your text and moving to the next square than NYT. Once you get used to the controls, in NYT you can use the d-pad to quickly change directions and the L and R buttons to jump around clues. The handwriting recognition for NYT seems better as well, which is surprising to me. All of this adds up to much faster, less frustrating play.

Second, CrossworDS puzzles seem way too easy and bland. I LIKE the culture/history/name references in NYT. They add interest to the puzzles, and a lot of the NYT puzzles are "themed" which is fun. You might even learn something aside from basic vocabulary.

I'm still interested in CrossworDS, but mainly for the word search and anagram puzzles which NYT doesn't provide. Since It's only $20, you really can't go wrong. I'm not saying my opinion is right or yours is wrong. Just wanted to throw out an opposing viewpoint.

Morts

Any idea why there are only 57 Wii games listed now instead of the 58 they had yesterday? I wish they'd add the rest of the games I have instead of taking some away. I feel compelled to recommend everything I own for some reason.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Scrubking said:
2GB can hold 45 Wiiware games.
I'll take your word for it but my point still stands. While I'm fine with constantly backing up small VC games at the moment I don't want the issue to be exacerbed by having to juggle DLC and WiiWare on top of the VC titles. Plus backing those small VC games take an abnormal amount of time. I shudder to think how long a full 43mb WiiWare game will take.

I'd like to have a storage solution that the Wii can stream off of. Even if all they do us unlock reading content off an SD card then all will be resolved.

I can't wait for the recommendation results to come back. The Anyone/Gamers Hardcore/Casual questions alone will foster much forum entertainment. :lol

Also: I do like the format for the video lists. Much more convenient and easy to get to than XBLA's format. If higher quality videos were added, I'd be inclined to say it's hands-down better.

The ability to view New Titles is a great convenience.

Honestly, I sorta feel bad for the gaming media as it stands today. Between things like the Nintendo Channel and Inside X-Box, I think it's only a matter of time before the internal information features of these consoles come up against independent gaming media.

Just checked this out earlier. Jam Sessions is....actually kinda fun! I was able to put together a decent riff after about five seconds. Limited demo though. :(

More DS demos! :D

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Dr. Zoidberg said:
First, I don't get what's so great about the interface for CrossworDS. It's much slower interpreting your text and moving to the next square than NYT. Once you get used to the controls, in NYT you can use the d-pad to quickly change directions and the L and R buttons to jump around clues. The handwriting recognition for NYT seems better as well, which is surprising to me. All of this adds up to much faster, less frustrating play.
I don't know... the writing recognition seemed better in CrossworDS to me, and I liked how the game quickly shows you the clues for both directions at once when you are in any square. I haven't played NYT in a few months, but CrossworDS just seemed to be a better presentation. I could be wrong, of course, but that's my impression from the demo.

Second, CrossworDS puzzles seem way too easy and bland. I LIKE the culture/history/name references in NYT. They add interest to the puzzles, and a lot of the NYT puzzles are "themed" which is fun. You might even learn something aside from basic vocabulary.
I'd have to try the actual CrossworDS game to be sure, but I do know I got rather tired of the movie/tv/sports references in NYT -- granted, that's probably just my particular tastes. If the game consisted of nothing but queries about 18th century authors, folklore, and ancient world mythology, I'd love it. However, I don't think I have the proper sort of mindset to appreciate NYT... or, perhaps, I just don't like crossword puzzles very much?

I'm still interested in CrossworDS, but mainly for the word search and anagram puzzles which NYT doesn't provide. Since It's only $20, you really can't go wrong. I'm not saying my opinion is right or yours is wrong. Just wanted to throw out an opposing viewpoint.
Well, I assume that folks who are "serious" crossword folks would prefer the NYT one. I just think that CrossworDS is a better game for the rest of us, but that's just based on the demo. Then again, I always did poorly on about 1/3 of the wedges in Trivial Pursuit too.

Finn

Yea so, wtf. I get passed the message that says "Receiving Data" and I get past the "Sending Data" message, and then when the first video is supposed to pop up the fucking little circles refuse to stop spinning and I got an error code. I see the little "service" bars in the right-hand corner and its full, so it can't be my router.

Any ideas what the trouble might be?

Proven

MWCShay said:
They just sold me Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword

Reading all of these comments, I wonder if there'll be a reawakening of the Official Thread. We can even start on GAF Karma competitions!

Finn said:
Yea so, wtf. I get passed the message that says "Receiving Data" and I get past the "Sending Data" message, and then when the first video is supposed to pop up the fucking little circles refuse to stop spinning and I got an error code. I see the little "service" bars in the right-hand corner and its full, so it can't be my router.

Any ideas what the trouble might be?

Have you tried multiple times? It sounds like you just got some kind of quick reconnection trouble. Have you tried checking the error code on the nintendowifi.com website?

aeolist

Banned
Proven said:
Reading all of these comments, I wonder if there'll be a reawakening of the Official Thread. We can even start on GAF Karma competitions!
I think they sold me too, especially once I tried the hardest difficulty. The enemy AI is pretty tough.

fusoya59

Wow, that DS download thing is neato!

I'm really diggin' Ninja Gaiden DS demo; it reminds me of TWEWY battle.

I reaaaally hope they have a full-game download service in the future.

Finn

Proven said:
Have you tried multiple times? It sounds like you just got some kind of quick reconnection trouble. Have you tried checking the error code on the nintendowifi.com website?
Yea, I figured out my problem. I had to change the channel on my router. After that, everything has been working just fine. Thanks.

Unison

I'm sorry to bump this thread, but there seems to be a new development (sorry if this has been pointed out and discussed elsewhere).... on the bottom of the game info pages for most games on the Nintendo Channel now, there are usage statistics shown. They don't represent EVERY Wii user (probably about 10% at best, judging from NPD data), but they are somewhat illuminating, especially when considering the average time users play a given game.

Bear in mind not every game has data listed (judging from what I saw, a game needs to have been played by 10k users before they list its data), but I found this stuff to be interesting, for sure!

Some examples (sorry for the shitty pics!):

Fire Emblem Wii:
do003.jpg

Guitar Hero 3:
do004.jpg

Wii Sports:
do005.jpg

Zelda:TP:
do006.jpg

Super Smash Bros. Brawl:
do007.jpg

Super Mario Galaxy:
do008.jpg

These games have extremely high playtimes... I found that interesting. It seems like most people who upload data play long enough that they finish the games they buy... I wouldn't have guessed that would be the case.

For many other games, the average user times are much lower... Off the top of my head, I noticed Big Brain Academy Wii had 6.5 hours average, Carnival Games 8 hours, and Mario Party 8 had 18 1/2 hours average.

WiiWare & Virtual Console games are listed too... this might be the closest we get to sales figures for either....

I noticed the average person played Lost Winds 3 hours, and there were about 22k users, for example.

Some other data:
Defend your Castle Wii = 70k hours, 3 hours per person, so like 23k users
Mario Party 8 - 5.3 million hours logged, avg person played 18.3 hours, 290k users
Mario Kart Wii = 5.1 million hours / 17.3 hours per person / 295k users
Super Paper Mario = 5.6 million hours / 24 hrs per person / 233k users
Paper Mario (VC) - 1.2 million hours / 18 hrs per person / 67k users
WiiFit - 576905 hours / 9hrs 14 mins / person / 60k users
Zelda:TOoT played 1.3 million hours / 18 hrs per person / 70k users
DK Bongo Blast, played 69K hours, avg of 4hrs11m per person
DQ Swords = 81,688 hrs / avg of 8 hrs 56 m per person
Kirby NES = 266k hrs total / 66k users
Super Mario Bros 2 - 161k hours / 71650 users
Super mario 1 - 855k hours / 5.5 hrs / person / 155k users
Mario Lost Levels - 108k hours/ 2hrs per person / 50k users
Super Mario World - 1 million hours / 8.25 hrs / person / 115k users
Mario 64 = 1 million hours, 10 hrs per person / 100k users

Just a disclaimer... this is by no means reliable data! I just find it really interesting from an anecdotal standpoint... It's curious to see how long people play certain games (especially stuff like WiiSports, Mario Party, or Guitar Hero!), and it's interesting to see how many users of games there are, relatively.

Anyone else find anything interesting on there?

Unison

Yeah, I think it's US only, or at least the numbers are US only, which makes sense because of the release lists involved.

tabsina

jamesinclair said:
Im still pissed they never released a channel which compiles all your games and shows total time played.

agreed, that'd be much more useful than the "Today" thing if it was just all collated into one

Top Bottom