• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Channel is live.

Insaniac

sevenchaos said:
I'm in!

Oh snap Wii Fit video.

Edit:

DS Download List:

Brain Age 2 Demo
Flash Focus Demo
Crossword DS-Crosswords Demo
Jam Sessions
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
Cooking Mama 2: Dinner with Friends
Disney Friends
Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword

ooh crosswords, something to occupy me!

TunaLover

Edag Plata said:
So when making a recommendation, does it look on your system to see what saves you have and that's what the list is made up of?

Most probably game saves, but even Wii register playtime on the system memory. Strange enough, it seems like Nintendo games just are recognized. Hopefully this change in the future, Nintendo having info of Nintendo games only, is an innacurate way to get the whole picture.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
ffs Nintendo

I woke up 3 different times because my wii was glowing....... @ 4am!!!!!! I kept turning it on and off to make it stop

jobber said:
ffs Nintendo

I woke up 3 different times because my wii was glowing....... @ 4am!!!!!! I kept turning it on and off to make it stop

Hold the power button for a few seconds until the light goes red, or just unplug it, not that hard.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
TunaLover said:
Most probably game saves, but even Wii register playtime on the system memory. Strange enough, it seems like Nintendo games just are recognized. Hopefully this change in the future, Nintendo having info of Nintendo games only, is an innacurate way to get the whole picture.

It recognized Godfather: Blackhand Edition on mine, but not Resident Evil 4. I also don't think it picked up on Elebits, No More Heroes, or Zack and Wiki, though I may have just missed some of those. It did have stuff like the News Channel and Internet Channel, though, so that's... you know...

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Stumpokapow said:
Say "skee zorz". It works a little better.
Skee zorz!?
emot-doh.gif

It's sih-zerz!

Christine

Guys, you can just use the search function in the channel to find out which games are listed and potentially available for recommendation. For example if you search for Wii games from Capcom it turns up nothing, so of course there's no RE4 or Umbrella Chronicles or Zack & Wiki.

TunaLover

Metaphoreus said:
It recognized Godfather: Blackhand Edition on mine, but not Resident Evil 4. I also don't think it picked up on Elebits, No More Heroes, or Zack and Wiki, though I may have just missed some of those. It did have stuff like the News Channel and Internet Channel, though, so that's... you know...

Kinda random, at least it recognize Wii Sports, I will recomend this for people who haven´t buy it yet.

TunaLover

TwinIonEngines said:
Guys, you can just use the search function in the channel to find out which games are listed and potentially available for recommendation. For example if you search for Wii games from Capcom it turns up nothing, so of course there's no RE4 or Umbrella Chronicles or Zack & Wiki.

Good point -__-U

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
TwinIonEngines said:

That's pretty ridiculous, seeing as how RE:UC was one of the biggest third party games on Wii last year. Of course, it's also ridiculous that this didn't come out six months ago, when a lot of this information would have been useful.

EDIT:
Check this little bit out, courtesy Game | Life:

Chris Kohler said:
The channel also asks if you would like the channel to automatically feed information about your Wii usage patterns to Nintendo. A list on Nintendo's homepage describes all the info that's sent, and there's a whole lot of it -- everything from your current display size to the number of free blocks available in your Wii system memory. Users can opt out of sending their data.

This could be meaningful.

As far as the "cleaning out the fridge" issue...

How hard would it be to update the system and allow the USB port to be used? I'm curious, from a technical standpoint. I remember at one point, before release, they mentioned being able to use any USB storage device, but in the end that didn't make it.

It makes you wonder if they're working on their own solution to sell. Otherwise, they could open it up, sell more downloads to people who's fridges are full, and not have to spend money manufacturing anything.

Hopefully if they are making something proprietary it won't be ridiculously overpriced.

I guess we'll see.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Some folks seem to be implying they are actually getting "recommended titles" from the Nintendo channel... how and where?

Christine

Metaphoreus said:
That's pretty ridiculous, seeing as how RE:UC was one of the biggest third party games on Wii last year. Of course, it's also ridiculous that this didn't come out six months ago, when a lot of this information would have been useful

It seems to be up to the third party publisher, on a per-game basis. For example Ubisoft has Raving Rabbids 2 listed in the channel, but not the first one, nor Red Steel or No More Heroes. EA seems to have most of their stuff listed.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
megashock5 said:
How hard would it be to update the system and allow the USB port to be used? I'm curious, from a technical standpoint.
depends on how their system is setup. from a truly technical standpoint it's nothing, as they already have USB drivers available ala High School Musical. It depends on how their storage access is setup, what part in encryption storage takes, how much of it is built into the system API and how seamless it is for devs, etc.

The answer to your question is no one knows except for Nintendo. However if they ever at any single time took it into account as a possibility, my guess would be "fairly easy".

borghe said:
depends on how their system is setup. from a truly technical standpoint it's nothing, as they already have USB drivers available ala High School Musical. It depends on how their storage access is setup, what part in encryption storage takes, how much of it is built into the system API and how seamless it is for devs, etc.

The answer to your question is no one knows except for Nintendo. However if they ever at any single time took it into account as a possibility, my guess would be "fairly easy".

Thanks for the info, that's what I was looking for.

Seems like it would be a win for everyone. Again, unless they have something coming to sell.

Crushed said:
They really couldn't get a TWEWY demo? Layton? Rondo of Swords? Pokemon Mystery Dungeon? Shiren? Nanostray 2? Crystal Chronicles?
I'm not disappointed about lack of particular new demos, but I am surprised there aren't older demos that were available in stores long ago. I guess they only want to be showing off the latest and greatest rather than letting people check out Elite Beat Agents?
Metaphoreus said:
This could be meaningful.
This_means_something.jpg

But yeah, I agree.

Deku

Banned
TunaLover said:
Yep, I don´t get why so much space to store my gaming habits...

I'm pretty sure the Nintendo Channel video that loops in the corner is actually downloaded. There was 0 load time for that video.

I need to play around with this some more. Only had about 15 mins in the AM to check this out before heading into work

mclem

later said:
The problem is that the wii probably can't (or doesn't by design) saves alot to disk before the stream starts, because of the small fridge.

Buffering to disk (or in this case flash) isn't *that* smart anyway; you want to buffer to RAM. From that PoV the Wii shouldn't be particularly hindered if the videos are designed for the RAM available.

swerve

norinrad21 said:
awesome channel, love the cool videos

What are the videos on the US one? The Japanese channel updates at least once a week with new stuff, including wacky videos with celebrities doing challenges, or experts showing how to play the game best.

I'm curious to see how far they go for the west.

Regarding those with slow DL speeds/streaming issues:

Please let us know when you complain whether or not you are using wireless or the usb lan adapter. In my experience the Wii is pretty sensitive to wireless signal problems, and the issue may be between your Wii and your wireless AP or Router.

Personally, I have to remove any GC controllers or memory cards from the ports in order to get max speeds out of my Wii. It still works with them in but it's definitely slower. Not saying that's anyone else's issue, just pointing out that wireless is not an exact science.

DDayton

Hmm... you know, this might allow Nintendo to report on estimates of "Game Play" time for the typical Wii system now.

funkmastergeneral said:
So what exactly does this channel do, lets you buy videogames online and DS demos for shitty games? (ninja gaiden notwithstanding)
You can watch the Nintendo Conference at @ E3 live

BELIEVE ;)

number of channels is interesting too

SOme peeps will have 2 or 3 news and weather channels!
number of Mii's??
are they trying to see that people wanna have EVERYTHING at once on their Wii and not on Wii, online and on SD?

swerve

DavidDayton said:
Hmm... you know, this might allow Nintendo to report on estimates of "Game Play" time for the typical Wii system now.

You mean, like the channel already does in Japan? :)

You get total hours played (by registered users), total times played, average time played, and average number of times played. As well as neat pie charts showing people's responses to the questions in the 'recommend this game' bit of the Nintendo Channel.

rdaneel72

I downloaded the Nintendo Channel before work this morning, but I didn't have any time to explore it. But, from what I am hearing online, you need to enable data sharing with Nintendo in order to have access to DS demo downloads. Is this true? And if so, is this a problem?

Another site I visit has said that requiring this data sharing to access all of the content is a massive failure. If this data was used to create custome lists of demos that appeal to your specific tastes, then I can see the truth of it. But apparently, the list of DS demos is the same on everyone's Wii. So why does Nintendo require you to share data with them in order to access DS demo downloads?

Besides, don't they have the ability to snake that information off my Wii any time I connect to WFC? Isn't that part of the initial licensing agreement you have to agree to when you connect for the first time? Why do I have to agree to let them do something they are probably already doing anyway in order to gain access to all the content?

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
One little complaint about the channel I have is that there's nothing between "Casual" and "Hardcore". I mean, a lot of games are really obvious (like, Contra III vs. Big Brain Academy) but some games don't immediately fit into one category or the other. I mean, what do you classify a timeless classic like Super Mario Bros. or Pac-Man?

DDayton

swerve said:
You mean, like the channel already does in Japan? :)

You get total hours played (by registered users), total times played, average time played, and average number of times played. As well as neat pie charts showing people's responses to the questions in the 'recommend this game' bit of the Nintendo Channel.

Well, it would be fun data for those classic "NO ONE ACTUALLY PLAYS WII SPORTS!" posts in the sales threads.

So, how much data do we consumers -eventually- get to see? Actual gameplay times/etc. for folks who rated them, but not the actual ratings?

DefectiveReject said:
Supposedly this is the info Nintendo are taking back from this channel about your Wii

f_biglistm_0b8cf4c.jpg
So if you play a game several times over the course of a day the info will only be recorded once? Then the time collecting feature is pretty worthless for me, since I usually play games in several short periods over the course of a day.

If anyone has been using homebrew channels or anything like that you'll know they show up in "Today's Accomplishments"

I wonder how closely Nintendo will look at the information. Is the information anonymous or can it be traced back to your console?

Cheez-It

rdaneel72 said:
I downloaded the Nintendo Channel before work this morning, but I didn't have any time to explore it. But, from what I am hearing online, you need to enable data sharing with Nintendo in order to have access to DS demo downloads. Is this true? And if so, is this a problem?

Another site I visit has said that requiring this data sharing to access all of the content is a massive failure. If this data was used to create custome lists of demos that appeal to your specific tastes, then I can see the truth of it. But apparently, the list of DS demos is the same on everyone's Wii. So why does Nintendo require you to share data with them in order to access DS demo downloads?

Besides, don't they have the ability to snake that information off my Wii any time I connect to WFC? Isn't that part of the initial licensing agreement you have to agree to when you connect for the first time? Why do I have to agree to let them do something they are probably already doing anyway in order to gain access to all the content?

Hold on. They're asking for this information and allowing you to say no, and you are *complaining*? Do you not see how mind-numbingly ludicrous your complaint is?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Iam Canadian said:
I mean, what do you classify a timeless classic like Super Mario Bros. or Pac-Man?
you just don't. that's why i want to see genres there, instead of the meaningless hardcore/casual - whether a genre is hardcore or casual must be left to the user to decide (if they care about such discrimaination at all, that is).

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I understand the purpose of a lot of information that they're collecting, but I can't see what they're going to do with data on slot illumination or Wiimote volume. >_>

rdaneel72 said:

Yes, this is true. It seems kind of odd that you'd have to consent to system usage tracking in order to play the demos, as if it were a trade. It's all marketing material to begin with.

Then again, I thought this information was already being tracked.

Kind of cool, but I want to see some demos for DS games that arent out yet.

and what the fuck nintendo?! put out bigger storage for the Wii already.

Top Bottom