• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Nintendo Direct] 3DS XL (90% larger screen, 4GB SD, better battery) OP has details

coughlanio

Is there any way you will be able to transfer your ambassador games over? Could you just swap the memory cards?

The 3DS can do a system transfer, which will basically copy over everyone on one system to another. Both systems need to be present though, not as simple as swapping an SD card.

2MF

Zing! Just got it for £157.95 using code SUMMERSAVER. :D

Now we're talking... International shipping is only £1 too. I just hope they're good at packaging the parcel.

edit - this page states that they don't ship consoles overseas, let's see if they end up cancelling my order...

DSmalls84

The 3DS can do a system transfer, which will basically copy over everyone on one system to another. Both systems need to be present though, not as simple as swapping an SD card.

That's fine as long as I don't lose any of my stuff. I just wanted to find out before hand so I could decide if I was going to trade in my original 3ds or keep it.

Edit: Also ds compatible still right?

Thanks, that sounds like a good idea, I suppose I can use my phone's AC adapter to plug the USB charging cable.

I'm going the same route.

Isn't there a new law in the EU concerning the mandatory use of USB charging cables for all electronic devices now? Maybe that's another reason why they cheaped out of including one. (rather leave it out than to manufacture EU compliant cables)

Bumhead

Banned
Pre-ordered a red unit on Amazon.co.uk. Thought I might as well get my order in and see how the price war and price matching scenario goes down.

Sucks that the charging cradle is separate, though. I thought the 3DS charging cradle was a really nice touch with the original units and has been a pretty useful accessory for me. Not sure if I'm keen on the £20 currently being quoted to buy another.

meppi

That Zavvi offer isn't bad, but I don't want to risk having to wait 5 weeks for my new system.
So I'll probably pick it up locally like with most hardware.

That isn't a 3DS XL offer. They haven't announced those yet. Probably won't be til a week or so before if they do it.

It does feel a little... disingenuous that they're putting deals out including the 3DS so close to the announcement though.

I do hope they come up with some good deals, anyway.

Coldsnap

I think I will get the silver one.. since that color matches the most with the other parts of the 3DS (the thumbstick ect.). This XL is growing on me, I wanted at first, but now I must have. I like how the front and back are the same color unlike the OG 3DS and I really like the matte inside that they seem to have gone with, no more fighting finger prints.

It does feel a little... disingenuous that they're putting deals out including the 3DS so close to the announcement though.

I do hope they come up with some good deals, anyway.
The offer went up last Friday (and is for all conosoles), which is way too soon to be linked with the 3DS XL news (GAME are slow). Hopefully they will make a specific 3DS XL offer though, but I'm wondering if now might actually be the best time to trade in my 3DS (transfer my stuff elsewhere) and pickup an XL from an internet store instead as I doubt that GAMES's instore 3DS XL price will be the same as their webstore price of £180.

donny2112

They also don't sell the current 3DS directly.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002I096AA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yeah, it's quite frustrating, and there doesn't seem to be an obvious reason. They occasionally have it from Amazon, but it's very rare. It was speculated that the screen-scratching issue was to blame, but that's been fixed for a while. Got DSi + Rhythm Heaven from Amazon for a discount at the DSi launch, so was hoping they'd have something similar with 3DSXL + NSMB2. :/

Curufinwe

Yeah, it's quite frustrating, and there doesn't seem to be an obvious reason. They occasionally have it from Amazon, but it's very rare. It was speculated that the screen-scratching issue was to blame, but that's been fixed for a while. Got DSi + Rhythm Heaven from Amazon for a discount at the DSi launch, so was hoping they'd have something similar with 3DSXL + NSMB2. :/

How was that issue fixed exactly?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

We demand Totilo to investigate. We need to know, the situation has become ridiculous long ago.

plc268

I've been out of the loop for a while regarding 3ds stuff... but I had no idea NSMB2 was coming so soon. I guess I'll definitely be grabbing a 3XL now.

tuffy

I've been out of the loop for a while regarding 3ds stuff... but I had no idea NSMB2 was coming so soon. I guess I'll definitely be grabbing a 3XL now.
It's no coincidence that both are coming out on the same day in the US.

I know what I'll be picking up from the store that Sunday morning.

abasm

I've got it: release Pokemon Red and Blue on the Virtual Console on the same day, then bundle each 3DS XL with its respective color version.

ghibli99

Pretty upset that we aren't getting white here in the US (yet?). Blue and red look terrible with that black section. At least make it uniformly those colors. :(

optimiss

I'm curious as to why everyone likes white systems so much. They always end up looking discolored after a while and often take on a two tone white/offwhite color scheme as the different plastics age differently. I just pre-ordered a red one from Gamestop. I'd prefer an orange color, but I'm not getting my hopes up after being disappointed by the Gamecube.

I'm curious as to why everyone likes white systems so much. They always end up looking discolored after a while and often take on a two tone white/offwhite color scheme as the different plastics age differently. I just pre-ordered a red one from Gamestop. I'd prefer an orange color, but I'm not getting my hopes up after being disappointed by the Gamecube.

Yep my white DSi looks turrible now as do the matt shoulder buttons on my Lite.
I have a white 3DS but only because it's gloss, wouldn't touch another white matt handheld.

Mairu

My white ds lite that I bought at the japanese launch had no discoloration to it when I traded it in for a 3ds a few months ago (Wish I actually didn't trade it in!)

awm8604

Banned

I'm wondering the same thing. I want to buy the system from Amazon, to save on tax and also because they'll likely have a bundle/gift card/discount of some sort after it comes out. I hope they stock it.

MCV are claiming that the trade price is £146 so they think a £149.99 price point is possible by supermarkets. Where did you get it for £157.95 anyway?

They now state that retailers are liable to pay a VAT charge per unit of £21.50 (15%) making the cost price £167.50.
Supermarkets will probably sell at £169.99.
If this £159 Zavvi deal holds, I don't expect to see it beaten...

Djamb3

3ds-xl-yellow-5.png

Fixed. I changed the yellow.

Now I want this. Remembered my first GB Pocket

mario_O

I want to transfer my games to the 3ds XL, do I have to transfer first to the 4GB that comes with the console? Because I want to put my 32Gb card in the XL..I´m not sure how to do it...first transfer to the 4 GB card, then upgrade to 32 Gb and then redownload everything from the e-shop? Is that how it works?

Santiako

I want to transfer my games to the 3ds XL, do I have to transfer first to the 4GB that comes with the console? Because I want to put my 32Gb card in the XL..I´m not sure how to do it...first transfer to the 4 GB card, then upgrade to 32 Gb and then redownload everything from the e-shop? Is that how it works?

Just put the 32gb one before the transfer.

Best thing to do is to transfer first to the original 4GB that comes with it, then copy it to the PC and do the transfer to the 32GB card there.

At least that's what I'm going to do. I'm currently sitting at around 3 GB of data on my SD Card so I should have no problems.

Chopper

I need to know this too,

Just put the 32gb one before the transfer.

Sorry, what?

Edit: Boris, how do you know the gigs you've taken up? I can only see capacity in "blocks" which isn't very helpful.

Top Bottom