• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct NA on 9/4 at 3 PM PT for Bayonetta 2 for WiiU

Seik

Banned

I love that each alts are so much more than just costumes.

TH2dGw2.png

Fuck yeah!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
is bayonetta 2 canonical to the lylat wars universe???

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It really seems a great effort by both platinum and nintendo. Considering how nich the game is, it really make me hope for star fox and metroid U edition

Ninja Dom

Alright, so what controllers is everyone gonna choose to play this with on Wii U.

I don't have a Wii U Pro controller so I can't use that. I don't think I'll be using the Gamepad unless I'm playing specifically off-TV. Even though I did a Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge play through on the Gamepad. I do have a Wii Classic Controller hooked to a Wii Remote so I think I'll be playing default with that.

Clefargle

Alright, so what controllers is everyone gonna choose to play this with on Wii U.

I don't have a Wii U Pro controller so I can't use that. I don't think I'll be using the Gamepad unless I'm playing specifically off-TV. Even though I did a Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge play through on the Gamepad. I do have a Wii Classic Controller hooked to a Wii Remote so I think I'll be playing default with that.

Pro is the way to go bro.

tsab

Nippon yassan has pro cheap. DO IT. MK8 feels great also with pro controller :)

dat 80hr battery

popyea

I'll be using the gamepad. I don't get the hate personally, I find it super comfortable. It sits nicely so you're not so much gripping it as just having it rest in your hands, and the right stick placement is really good for being used simultaneously with the face buttons (even preferable to the pro controller which is a little closer to the right and more directly above the face buttons). Probably depends on hand size or something though; mine are a bit smaller than most I think.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

Definitely the Pro controller, unless there is lots of gamepad-only sequences, which I guess there wont be

TheMoon

I missed something...Platinum doing another Nintendo game? Can anyone give me the brief lowdown on this info?

No, you misread. This has nothing to do with Platinum.

They = Nintendo. They said at E3 they're have plans for 2D and 3D Metroid but are figuring out which one to do first etc. Nothing more than that. Nothing involving Platinum.

Sayter

Go Pro, bro.

Edit: beaten. :(

flohen95

GamePad. Originally, I planned on buying a Pro Controller, but while waiting for it to get cheap, I got so used to the GamePad that I felt it would be a waste of money to get the Pro.
Been playing everything on the GamePad ever since, and it's become one of my favourite controllers out there, even for games like DKC:TF that don't even make use of it's capabilities.

TheMoon

GamePad. Originally, I planned on buying a Pro Controller, but while waiting for it to get cheap, I got so used to the GamePad that I felt it would be a waste of money to get the Pro.
Been playing everything on the GamePad ever since, and it's become one of my favourite controllers out there, even for games like DKC:TF that don't even make use of it's capabilities.

Once you touch a Pro Controller you'll know what you've been missing! :)

The Pro Controller being amazing doesn't mean the GamePad is bad, btw. It's just different with different advantages. But for games that don't use any touch or gyro stuff, Pro Controller is easily the best way to play.

kunonabi

gamepad

gotta be able to post screenshots at a moment's notice. don't see any benefit to any other controller for this game anyway.

Jakoo

I just finished watching the direct. I was never into or very good at Devil May Cry but considering this is a major holiday release for the Wii U I am definitely going to give this a shot. The direct was really effective in explaining some of the core gameplay concepts, I almost wonder if they should include it as a tutorial video in the game itself.

One thing that struck me as interesting was how prominently they featured female NOA/Platinum employees in the presentation. Since the protagonist is obviously very sexualized, I thought it was very calculated that they prominently featured women in the video as almost a type of "co-signing". Keeping in mind that the last time Nintendo was seriously getting heat in the press was the Tomadachi Life instance, I wonder if NOA is worried that them publishing this game in the US would continue a narrative they wouldn't want to be associated with?

I apologize if this topic was already discussed in this thread, since I just watched the direct it just struck me as interesting.

Riki

I just finished watching the direct. I was never into or very good at Devil May Cry but considering this is a major holiday release for the Wii U I am definitely going to give this a shot. The direct was really effective in explaining some of the core gameplay concepts, I almost wonder if they should include it as a tutorial video in the game itself.

One thing that struck me as interesting was how prominently they featured female NOA/Platinum employees in the presentation. Since the protagonist is obviously very sexualized, I thought it was very calculated that they prominently featured women in the video as almost a type of "co-signing". Keeping in mind that the last time Nintendo was seriously getting heat in the press was the Tomadachi Life instance, I wonder if NOA is worried that them publishing this game in the US would continue a narrative they wouldn't want to be associated with?

I apologize if this topic was already discussed in this thread, since I just watched the direct it just struck me as interesting.
I doubt it was too calculated.
Both Nintendo and Platinum have a good ratio of female employees, especially in high positions.

Jakoo

I doubt it was too calculated.
Both Nintendo and Platinum have a good ratio of female employees, especially in high positions.

Perhaps...I just almost feel bad for Nintendo in that they are in kind of an awkward position with pushing this title. Nintendo is in a tough position where they have a major holiday release that they need to push for their system while, simultaneously, a debate regarding misogyny in gaming is reaching mainstream attention.

I'm just worried that this game will be a reason for Nintendo to be burned at the stake for if a Fox News decides to run a select amount of footage. While I certainly think a lot of the sexualized game-play mechanisms/animations are very tongue and cheek, I definitely can see an amount of criticism leveraged against them.

TheMoon

I think you missed the part where Bayonetta was also praised for its portrayal of a woman "owning" her sexuality and her not being sexualized purely for male enjoyment like so many other problem games. This is why that is not an issue.

Lernaean

Banned

Kuroda is the producer, from PG.
Mari Shimazaki, who is also a woman, is the character designer. There are a lot of women in PG and the studio is one of the more 'modern' out there.
If you like what you saw, give it a chance, you are going to play one of the best games, from one of the best developers.

Jakoo

I think you missed the part where Bayonetta was also praised for its portrayal of a woman "owning" her sexuality and her not being sexualized purely for male enjoyment like so many other problem games. This is why that is not an issue.

I honestly did miss that part--I am hopping on board with following this franchise for the first time and I have no idea how the first game was received. As someone with no context whatsoever, I am just saying what it appeared to me like, which is also is how many other people less "in the know" with the series may see it as well. However, I completely agree that it's not fair for me to even have this judgement without playing the first game or this game in total.

Perhaps...I just almost feel bad for Nintendo in that they are in kind of an awkward position with pushing this title. Nintendo is in a tough position where they have a major holiday release that they need to push for their system while, simultaneously, a debate regarding misogyny in gaming is reaching mainstream attention.

I'm just worried that this game will be a reason for Nintendo to be burned at the stake for if a Fox News decides to run a select amount of footage. While I certainly think a lot of the sexualized game-play mechanisms/animations are very tongue and cheek, I definitely can see an amount of criticism leveraged against them.

Eh. I don't know if its at mainstream attention, but death threats to Anita Sarkessian can make it mainstream attention.

I also don't recall any extra special attention paid to Bayo 1 when it was previewed or released. There are plenty of academics and gamers who can attest to Bayonetta being a strong and positive female character in gaming.

Edit: I'd also like to add that had the game sold gangbusters and had done sales numbers like GTA or CoD, you'd have the Fox News/Jack Thompson bullshit where the devs/Nintendo would be accused of misogyny.

Shauni

Where is this mainstream attention that you speak of?

TreIII

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

At this rate, the various costumes might as well be "Different Characters", too. I'm loving the way they have distinct differences.

I wonder if the Peach/Daisy alts have anything else additional besides the fact that they can summon Bowser going for them...

is bayonetta 2 canonical to the lylat wars universe???

Might as well.

Perhaps Cereza and Jeanne bailed James McCloud out from what would have been his unfortunate demise. Then, in order to pay back his debt, he was voluntarily turned into a human by them so that he can race in F-Zero (with the stipulation that he can show up to bail his son out in truly dire situations).

I figured someone would eventually bring this up.

Kuroda's legit. She's been the producer of this game the whole way through, written blog posts for the site, and was on the Treehouse stream explaining the game. She wasn't really trotted out as a public face except in so far she's responsible for the game and personable.

Jakoo

Where is this mainstream attention that you speak of?

Eh. I don't know if its at mainstream attention, but death threats to Anita Sarkessian can make it mainstream attention.

I've read sites like Vice, The Daily Beast and Ars Technica picking up stories related to all of the recent Gamergate controversy. While they are sites that aren't, say, CNN or ABC, they are also not gaming-specific or womens advocacy sites either.

I figured someone would eventually bring this up.

Kuroda's legit. She's been the producer of this game the whole way through, written blog posts for the site, and was on the Treehouse stream explaining the game. She wasn't really trotted out as a public face except in so far she's responsible for the game and personable.

That's a fair point. I also know that New Leaf had a very diverse dev team, and if I recall, women developers were also brought out to show that game as well during the direct.

I dunno, maybe in light of recent events, I am just seeing these things through different lenses and it just struck me as odd on first glance, even if it appears to be completely on the level.

Coda

Yeah I think the fact that in the game you are the woman instead of saving one except for Jeanne defies those trends a bit. Honestly, if Fox News does crappy coverage of the game that only can help their sales. People who currently have no idea about Bayonetta may decide to check it out. Not many people, but definitely some. This game needs any attention it can get right now. I want it to not flop very badly so Nintendo sees that we all want games like this.

mantidor

Yeah I think the fact that in the game you are the woman instead of saving one except for Jeanne defies those trends a bit. Honestly, if Fox News does crappy coverage of the game that only can help their sales. People who currently have no idea about Bayonetta may decide to check it out. Not many people, but definitely some. This game needs any attention it can get right now. I want it to not flop very badly so Nintendo sees that we all want games like this.

Nintendo knows we want games like this. They also know there might not be enough of us to support them, but at least they have some reason to believe that is not the case, given that they funded the game and all.

Kouriozan

I like how she says "BOOM" or "Bingo" when using wicked weaves.
Really emphasis the power of the attack, must feel good playing this game.

Top Bottom