• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - August 2012

zroid

Banned
Feels like Christmas.

And truly, that was such a bad idea from them. Should've been by Streetpass tops. Oh well, atleast I finally get my collection done.

Same here.

Honestly I have a friend who is way more into it than I was, and he badgered me occasionally to help him complete it. I was just much too lazy.

I'm glad he (and I) will finally be able to get it done.

Roto13

Feels like Christmas.

And truly, that was such a bad idea from them. Should've been by Streetpass tops. Oh well, atleast I finally get my collection done.

Yeah, StreetPass would have been a lot better. I'm glad I'll finally be able to finish that Pokedex, though. So I can look at those other forms of Deerling and never open it again.

Metal Slug X is a pretty big deal.

Its a Wii VC game. They don't count silly.
Joking, but still...I'de rather have this stuff portable.)

NA press release is up - Metal Slug X for Wii VC, Vector Racing for eShop, Abyss for DSiWare, that's it. No sales.
I...I forgot that today was eShop today.

I never forget.

Whats wrong with me?

._.

so no VC (3DS) games AGAIN this week. Nit even the VC games that they are pretending are new when they really aren't. (NES)

Bah Bah Yah.

....anywayz: I started this last year but couldn't keep up with it, but how would everyone like my idea to open up a blog and post reviews of old downloadables games (not the newest releases) giving you a chance to reconsider a game that you didn't buy.

Basically I am gonna have one very short review. (I say short since I am not good at writing reviews, and its mostly just me focusing on a couple aspects of a particular game.) I would have it so that I post one review a week that way I can drag it on and troll like NOA does. It would mostly be 3DS and Wii downloads (probably half of all review would be 3DS & Wii downloads.) but often I plan to post Wii, DS, and 3DS retail, Playstation, Xbox, and iOS games as well as book reviews. The weekly review will be up every Thursday at 9AM Pacific just like the the weekly updates.

I have already written 54 reviews so I am already set for a year if I do one a week. I've been saving them up lol. I don't think I would start till about the beginning of January. Gotta find a place to host the reviews, I'm thinking either blogger or posterous. Gotta look more into them tho, I would of course post them here as well.

I am doing this I'm just not sure when, but when I do it I hope you read my...awkward reviews lol.

Thores

When Nintendo announced 8-Bit Summer, they were actually announcing that we'd get a total of 8 VC games on the 3DS this summer.

400th Virtual Console game should be

Yoshi%27s_Island_screenshot.jpg

Drago

It will also make all other Pokémon downloadable through SpotPass™, including all alternate forms which previously were only available by connecting with friends.
And only announced a day after I finally got the last 2 Pokemon I needed to complete the Pokedex. (Pansage/Simisage)

Fuuuck. Now I feel no sense of accomplishment :(

So new super mario more expesinve then retail, good job Nintendo....completely misses the point...
Well eShop is RRP, we knew that. I'm just waiting for the retail download codes so we can get some good price competition going on. It really boggles the mind: Apparently Japan is most reluctant to go DD but they got the codes on release day. Nintendo focuses too much on Japan, where they have the best position anyway. I know...Nintendo and all but still.

Pikma

Banned
Well eShop is RRP, we knew that. I'm just waiting for the retail download codes so we can get some good price competition going on. It really boggles the mind: Apparently Japan is most reluctant to go DD but they got the codes on release day. Nintendo focuses too much on Japan, where they have the best position anyway. I know...Nintendo and all but still.

It's amazing how they've been letting NoA neglect their territory (or maybe they are the ones to blame?), what Japan gets and what we get, are like day and night, to put it nicely.

Batman demo was pretty dreadful. You'd think they'd put character switching to the trigger buttons. Meanwhile use of the boomerang was dreadful, unless you have a target you can still pull it out and aim but not fire.

In the end the game seems to be 'see area coloured in > go stand there > press a'. Done.

BooJoh

Apparently Pokedex 3D is getting a free update on August 31st

"UPDATE: Starting August 31, be sure to update Pokédex 3D to unlock a number of features. This will immediately unlock 6 Pokémon, including Reshiram and Zekrom, that previously required scanning a Pokémon AR Marker. It will also make all other Pokémon downloadable through SpotPass™, including all alternate forms which previously were only available by connecting with friends. To update Pokédex 3D, just tap the Update button inside the application."

Wait, I thought they were removing this from the eShop before they release the Pro version, why update it now?

Played some Vector Racing, its ok, didn't really play much as I wanted to go back to playing NSMB2. Major issue with Ghosting, not sure if that's something that is still present on the 3DS XL. Game seems pretty basic, maybe this is something that would have been ok coming out in the first few months of the eShop being up. But its been a year and I'd expect titles of a little more substance to be coming out. Need to play more to see what there is to it all though, but yeah the ghosting was rather distracting.

Marz

Am I the only one who's loving all this Wii VC Neo-Geo goodness?

I've already bought too much on my 3DS as is and still haven't downloaded Wario Land or Kid Icarus NES & GB.....i'm kind of glad they're not releasing much right now lol.

Yeah. Hit me up when we have Twinkle Star Sprites. Then we'll talk.

Well, the consistent support is nice. I just wish some other publishers would follow suit.

I suppose that will come when Wii U launches though. At least, I hope it does.

Hellraizah

I've already bought too much on my 3DS as is and still haven't downloaded Wario Land or Kid Icarus NES & GB.....i'm kind of glad they're not releasing much right now lol.

Dude, I bought all of the Neo Geo VC titles. They seem to be coming out every 2 weeks now. I'm happy, but I could even take one every week. I SO want Mark Of The Wolves on that thing. I even imported the Wii Neo Geo stick from Japan.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Am I the only one who's loving all this Wii VC Neo-Geo goodness

I bought a copy of SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 for the Wii, so I haven't felt the urge to buy the games so far. Aren't MOST of the Wii VC Neo Geo games ones that have already been released either on SNK Arcade Classics or one of the King of Fighters/whatever collections?

I did buy that one "lost Neo Geo game" that folks were talking about -- the shooter.

Qurupeke

In the end the game seems to be 'see area coloured in > go stand there > press a'. Done.

^This. I didn't expect much, but still it was disappointing. It's a game targeted at kids but I wish it would be a bit more "complex".

As for Pokedex 3D, only two Pokemon(Autumn Deerling/Sawsbuck) remained in order to be complete...

Dave Long

Banned
I bought a copy of SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 for the Wii, so I haven't felt the urge to buy the games so far. Aren't MOST of the Wii VC Neo Geo games ones that have already been released either on SNK Arcade Classics or one of the King of Fighters/whatever collections?

I did buy that one "lost Neo Geo game" that folks were talking about -- the shooter.
I think the emulation is pretty sloppy on the package you have. The VC releases are pretty much exact to the originals.

Chopper

Apparently Pokedex 3D is getting a free update on August 31st

"UPDATE: Starting August 31, be sure to update Pokédex 3D to unlock a number of features. This will immediately unlock 6 Pokémon, including Reshiram and Zekrom, that previously required scanning a Pokémon AR Marker. It will also make all other Pokémon downloadable through SpotPass™, including all alternate forms which previously were only available by connecting with friends. To update Pokédex 3D, just tap the Update button inside the application."
Dammit. I literally just got all the forms, having abused my launch unit's save data and trading with myself.

Now to think of a clever way to get those Mario and Sonic trading cards!

Star Stacker actually sounds slightly novel. Anyone played it?

Played it, but it was back in my early years, it seemed like a good game, not sure about now.

I do know that it was one of those GB games that had a SNES counterpart (like Tetris Attack..... is that on Wii VC?), but Kirby's SNES counterpart never came out here.

Roto13

Played it, but it was back in my early years, it seemed like a good game, not sure about now.

I do know that it was one of those GB games that had a SNES counterpart (like Tetris Attack..... is that on Wii VC?), but Kirby's SNES counterpart never came out here.

Tetris Attack isn't on Wii VC, but Pokemon Puzzle League is and that's basically a reskin of Tetris Attack with some new modes.

Marz

That compilation just has pretty much the most basic first versions of Neo-Geo series....which were generally the worst versions of their respective series. It does have a few games like Shock Troopers and Magician Lord....but like others have said the emulation is kind of crap.

King of Fighters Collection covers that series, Samurai Shodown Anthology covers that series, and Metal Slug Anthology covers that series although it doesn't have Classic Controller support so it doesn't play very well.

Other than that, you're missing:

Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
World Heroes Perfect
2020 Super Baseball
The Last Blade
Magical Drop 3
Spin Master

Which are all really good imo. Of course unless you're really into retro games or SNK you probably should be good with the retail compilations but keep in mind that the VC versions are better due to control options and emulation.

beje

Banned
noway. Tetris Attack FOR LIFE

OMG, my sis and I were completely obsessed with that game. We had epic Vs. matches where the multipliers would go crazy in matter of seconds and games would last for as much as 15 or 20 minutes until one of us made a mistake.

Top Bottom