• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2011

Eight bucks???? WTF

Does it even include the editor and level sharing? Even if it does, anything over 5 is ludicrous.

The game will allow all levels made in the editor to be imported into the game via SD Card, if what they said before is accurate. They DO plan to include extra levels in some fashion. I do not think the editor will be in the 3DS game, but it will allow levels to be imported.

And I found playing AYIM on WiiWare much easier than PC. IIRC, the PC version only allows 90 degree turns, while WW has free rotation.

---

Okay, so I've been downloading stuff on my 3DS constantly, mainly thanks to my backlog of DSiWare titles and delight in the ease of purchasing. So, here are my current and bloated impressions (sans Ambassador Games).

Pokedex 3D (7:08)
-Was actually nice to get new pokemon from time to time.
-More Pokemon are possible, but I have the inkling feeling they will be paid DLC.
-Great models and animations!

Nintendo Video (10:48)
-Once I realized how it was going to release content, I was more positive toward it.
-Some of the videos have pretty poor compression and/or 3D effect.
-Dinosaur Office is awesome, but I want more "Next Level" vids from CH.
-Some of those art videos though...not interesting.

Shantae: Risky's Revenge (6:52)
-Feels like it could have been a bigger retail title, which is good.
-Lots of traveling for MacGuffins at times.
-More environments or "dungeons" would be appreciated
-Good game overall, but there are definite flaws in pacing and exploration.
-At the last dungeon area, just haven't gotten to it.

Art Style: PiCTOBiTS (5:38)
-Awesome retro aesthetic, complete with nice remixes.
-I like how the levels have unique bit formations to keep things different over time.
-Highly original idea, and I very much recommend this one.
-Hard to get back into, as the Dark Levels will crush me D:

GO Series: 10 Second Run (1:19)
-Would be a great Super Meat Boy-lite-lite, but it stumbles.
-From Death to Start, time moves waaay to slowly. Cut the time in half at least.
-50 levels is not enough to sustain the concept well enough.

X-Scape (3:31)
-Brother played longer, but I took over and tried it out.
-Controls are a bit frustrating, especially when using the Circle Pad.
-The art style and depth put into the worlds themselves are very good.
-Appears to be a long game ahead of me.

Aura-Aura Climber (2:35)
-Despite my small playtime, this $2 game is awesome.
-The game's medal system makes me want to keep playing it.
-Endless will no doubt get me playing a long while if I jump into it again.
-Please make a larger-scaled sequel for 3DS, NST!

Castle of Magic (3:42)
-Fun little platformer, but it lacks much replayability.
-A good solid 3-hour platformer with quite a few worlds.
-Definitely a recommendation for younger players. YMMV if you are more well-versed.

Mighty Flip Champs! (4:00)
-Pretty good aesthetic all around. No context/story, though, which confuses me.
-Some puzzles made me get ever so annoyed; no doubt rankings will do so again.
-I'm in World 5 I think. Got a bit more to do.
-Music is ace.

Dark Void Zero (2:24)
-Feels like an old school shooter, no doubt. Colors sometimes burn my eyes.
-Only three worlds, and the game only saves between them.
-Not really handheld friendly on that regard.
-I am eager for anymore Retro games like this Capcom.

Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition (2:27)
-Single player is boring. I can vouch that FSA is MUCH better for single player.
-I've yet to try out multiplayer, which sucks, as it is the best way to try it out.
-I really like the item variety, for sure!

Spotto! (1:27)
-A neat "Set up shot and adjust" game. Gives me a slight Angry Birds flair in that way.
-I wish there were more enemies. They could have gone quite a bit further.
-Not much to do after beating the game. No score system makes me frown.

Cut the Rope (4:07)
-Contains five Boxes, but apparently there are plenty more in the other versions.
-I wish this was a 3DS Download Software, because the DS resolution/size requirements hurt its presentation.
-Still a good game. If you don't have other means to play it, get it.

AiRace: Tunnel (0:57)
-Pretty decent graphics and music accompaniment.
-The camera is not in the right place, so knowing where I am is not easy.
-Not a forgiving game for sure! Not sure if I like it.

Super Mario Land (2:34)
-A unique twist with old-school Mario elements.
-Fairly short, especially with savestate.
-I really like how the worlds vary so much from each other.

Donkey Kong (3:29)
-Many puzzles have surpassed Mario Vs. Donkey Kong for sure.
-So many levels, it is mind boggling. Constantly pulling me forward.
-I'm at World 5 I think (haven't played in a bit), kinda stuck somewhere.

Kirby's Dream Land (1:06)
-SUPER short Kirby game.
-Perhaps one of the easiest Kirby adventures, but Extra Mode is the hardest.
-Probably better to go with Kirby's Adventure, but it is still decent.

Avenging Spirit (1:46)
-The possession technique is pretty sweet.
-The variety of enemy attacks and types do more to improve the game than the levels.
-Sometimes it is a bit too hectic, but this was an arcade game after all.

Gargoyle's Quest (5:49)
-Longer than I expected it would be. Great adventure, if difficult.
-I hate the desert winds.
-The RPG elements are good, but I think a little more shifting in that direction could be better, such as Level Systems over items.

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (3:53)
-Improved movement and detail to SML1. Lots of unique locales, too.
-Still a short adventure, but it lends to a lot of replaying. Didn't even know of secret levels before now.
-SML:SMB::SML2:SMW

Balloon Kid (1:17)
-A very short (see a pattern?) adventure.
-Physics are bonkers, but the environments are pretty good.

Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening DX (9:03)
-Have gotten through 2 dungeons (brother got close to beating his save).
-Classic old-school Zelda experience. Changing items sucks hard, though.

Blaster Master: Enemy Below (0:58)
-Feels like a zoomed-in Blaster Master, with a few tweaks.
-Currently wandering Area 2. Prospects are dim for me :p
-Slight redesign to overhead area. Still easy to lose Gun Levels.

3D Classics: Excitebike (1:32)
-Loved the 3D Graphics effect and the ability to save levels.
-What could have made it MUCH more awesome: Level Sharing in ANY WAY.

3D Classics: Xevious (0:13)
-Got from Club Nintendo. Hard game indeed. Great 3D, but not sure if I like it.

3D Classics: Twinbee (1:22)
-Very short game before it loops, but I appreciate the 3D popup style.

3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure (3:53)
-Was put-off at first, but the 3D effect swiftly became awesome to me in a few levels.

FreakyForms: Your Creations, Alive! (10:45)
-Spent a lot of time making some Formees. Still in City Phase 2.
-Got most of the Friends thus far. The last one must be available when you find the others.
-Received a few QR characters and one large Monster Hunter beast via StreetPass.
-The Explore part is pretty meh compared to creation.

Pushmo (8:04)
-GOTY? Possibly. So much to do.
-I'm in Murals 2 or 3, but the game just keeps giving them out (curse you Hamburger!)
-The breadth of new pushmos by the community blow my mind.

Mighty Switch Force! (0:12)
-Just got it, but great artwork and neat 3D. Looks to be hella short D:

I already thought about LW2, I'm not too sure about it yet.

MegaMan/Castlevania are not really my cup of tea, I suck at such titles ;)

And Cave Story and AYIM I already own thanks to the humble bundle; I actually also have AYIM on my Wii as I won it. I also noticed that I've got World of Goo, almost forgot about it.

Blaster Master Overdrive does actually look interesting, I'll need to take a closer look at that one!

After browsing NintendoLife, I'm considering these:
Fluidity
FAST - Racing League (the demo was enjoyable)
Bonsai Barber
Light Trax
Penta Tentacles
Art of Balance

To a lesser extent
Lost Winds 2
Swords&Soldiers
EcoShooter
Actionloop Twist

I would also definitely buy Liight, but that's not out in my region.

What's your opinion on
Maboshi's Arcade
You, Me & the Cubes
WarioWare Showcase (-> more expensive than the actual DS game...)?

If you're into puzzle games at all, then you need to play Rotohex. It's one of the best puzzle games of all time.

jgkspsx

Nintendo Video (10:48)
-Once I realized how it was going to release content, I was more positive toward it.
-Some of the videos have pretty poor compression and/or 3D effect.
-Dinosaur Office is awesome, but I want more "Next Level" vids from CH.
-Some of those art videos though...not interesting.
Huh. The art videos are the biggest redeeming factor for me. The suicide horse bomber the other day was pretty amazing.

schlew

What's your opinion on
Maboshi's Arcade
You, Me & the Cubes
WarioWare Showcase (-> more expensive than the actual DS game...)?

You, Me & the Cubes is great, and can get really tough. You have to throw little people onto the surface of a cube, and basically perform a balancing act. The cubes are all stuck together at various points, and you have to throw two people at a time. You want to make sure the object as a whole is well balanced, with the various people spread across all the blocks. It can get tough as hell, but it's really interesting. It's from Kenji Eno, who worked on D and Enemy Zero.

As for WarioWare Showcase, it only works well as a means to send your creations from DIY to a friend from your Wii's friend list. It's cool to play the microgames on your TV, but when they're blown up so big it can look pretty rough. It does come with microgames that aren't found on the DS version, but like DIY, they're really not the series' best.

VVVVVVVV coming next week?! This isn't right, Nicalis can't get a game out on time!

I refuse to believe! (and if it does happen, I bet there will be a 9 month + delay in the EU for no good reason!)

Shiggy

If you're into puzzle games at all, then you need to play Rotohex. It's one of the best puzzle games of all time.

I always thought that Dialhex/Rotohex was one of the weaker entries, thus I never really considered the WiiWare remake.

You, Me & the Cubes is great, and can get really tough. You have to throw little people onto the surface of a cube, and basically perform a balancing act. The cubes are all stuck together at various points, and you have to throw two people at a time. You want to make sure the object as a whole is well balanced, with the various people spread across all the blocks. It can get tough as hell, but it's really interesting. It's from Kenji Eno, who worked on D and Enemy Zero.

As for WarioWare Showcase, it only works well as a means to send your creations from DIY to a friend from your Wii's friend list. It's cool to play the microgames on your TV, but when they're blown up so big it can look pretty rough. It does come with microgames that aren't found on the DS version, but like DIY, they're really not the series' best.

Thanks, I'm definitely not getting WW Showcase then.

18-Volt

Is there confirmation that VVVVVV is a 3DS title, not a DSiWare game? Game screens are not in widescreen and usual 8$ DSiWare price tag confirm this:

8ZagU.jpg

M3d10n

Is there confirmation that VVVVVV is a 3DS title, not a DSiWare game? Game screens are not in widescreen and usual 8$ DSiWare price tag confirm this:

8ZagU.jpg

Look at the image size. That's 3DS resolution. The PC version was designed for 320x240 and the screens are either fixed or only scroll in a single direction, so they had to letterbox the 3DS top screen (which is 400x240).

watershed

Banned
Did anybody notice Nintendo didn't advertise swapnote in their weekly NA press release or email for digital download titles? In their email they chose to highlight Mighty Switch Force instead. I think they're trying to give the game as much of a boost as possible to assist third parties but still wanted to keep their promise of releasing swapnote by the end of december. I wonder if MSF benefited from that move?

Did anybody notice Nintendo didn't advertise swapnote in their weekly NA press release or email for digital download titles? In their email they chose to highlight Mighty Switch Force instead. I think they're trying to give the game as much of a boost as possible to assist third parties but still wanted to keep their promise of releasing swapnote by the end of december. I wonder if MSF benefited from that move?

Hopefully.
It's really good, and a great opener for third party games on the eShop.

donny2112

Wii Virtual Console/WiiWare Secret Santa

Haven't participated the last couple of years, but Wii-wise, it's pretty much tapped out for me, anyways. Hopefully with the voucher code ability in 3DS now, they'll make a similar option for that service. Would love to get in on some 3DS Secret Santa in future years. :)

@MUWANdo

Banned

They didn't just not advertise it, they flat-out didn't mention it. At all. It was probably just a screw-up.

We've gone 4 months since the last release already. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there aren't any more updates in NA period.

Strider and SF2 (with online play!) are definitely coming, Capcom announced as much.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Haven't participated the last couple of years, but Wii-wise, it's pretty much tapped out for me, anyways. Hopefully with the voucher code ability in 3DS now, they'll make a similar option for that service. Would love to get in on some 3DS Secret Santa in future years. :)

Oh, I was really hoping for that with the December update... but, well, such is life...

sakipon

Not sure if this has been brought up, the SwapNote thread is going way too fast to follow. But I had this idea of how neat it would be if Nintendo would use SwapNote / Letter Box as an additional way of sending notifications.

Imagine if we'd receive a hand-written/drawn Holiday wishes from Iwata, Miyamoto, Reggie or someone like like that. Also, Nintendo of France, Germany etc could send their own localized reminders and wishes. Maybe a drawing of Luigi to remind of Luigi's Mansion being released locally?

Of course there should be an option to opt out of such messages, but personally I'd love it. It'd also bring joy to those who don't have a huge friends list (like kids who aren't allowed to add strangers).

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Not sure if this has been brought up, the SwapNote thread is going way too fast to follow. But I had this idea of how neat it would be if Nintendo would use SwapNote / Letter Box as an additional way of sending notifications.

Imagine if we'd receive a hand-written/drawn Holiday wishes from Iwata, Miyamoto, Reggie or someone like like that. Also, Nintendo of France, Germany etc could send their own localized reminders and wishes. Maybe a drawing of Luigi to remind of Luigi's Mansion being released locally?

Of course there should be an option to opt out of such messages, but personally I'd love it. It'd also bring joy to those who don't have a huge friends list (like kids who aren't allowed to add strangers).

Go check the settings of Swapnote, the third one is "Special Notes: You can receive special notes containing updates and information from Nintendo and its partners (notes may include ads and promotional messages). That option you can turn on and off... Sooo They're way ahead of you.

jgkspsx

Imagine if we'd receive a hand-written/drawn Holiday wishes from Iwata, Miyamoto, Reggie or someone like like that.
As the poster above mentioned, they made provisions for it, so they'd better do it. I want some Zelda doodles from Nintendo before the 25th anniversary is up!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Why didn't they go with the color Tetris DX version?

Because it's terrible, and a different Tetris (not just a colored Tetris GB).

It'll never happen but how I wish they'd release NES Tetris TENGEN version! -_- that or the original arcade.
Best tetris ever. GB Tetris is the second best, so still good :)

Truth101

Banned
I re-downloaded Links Awakening DX and I swear it is in 3D when you hold start as it boots...

Can someone redownload and confirm if my eyes are just playing tricks on me.

3D is disabled if you donthold start on boot.

Celine

I re-downloaded Links Awakening DX and I swear it is in 3D when you hold start as it boots...

Can someone redownload and confirm if my eyes are just playing tricks on me.

3D is disabled if you donthold start on boot.
You mean the GB borders ?
Those were always 3D.

beje

Banned
8 bucks for VVVVVV? When it's 5 on Steam not counting sales/discounts?

gXsbN.jpg

Those greedy fuckers can keep it, seriously. I'd rather give my money to a dev that bothered to do something original instead of just porting a flash game and charge almost twice for it.

The game will allow all levels made in the editor to be imported into the game via SD Card, if what they said before is accurate. They DO plan to include extra levels in some fashion. I do not think the editor will be in the 3DS game, but it will allow levels to be imported.

Nicalis said that they are willing to upgrade the 3DS version of VVVVVV provided if enough people buy it on the eShop. The potential updates are a level editor and online leaderboards. http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/28704

@MUWANdo

Banned
8 bucks for VVVVVV? When it's 5 on Steam not counting sales/discounts?
Those greedy fuckers can keep it, seriously. I'd rather give my money to a dev that bothered to do something original instead of just porting a flash game and charge almost twice for it.

The ones who ported it =/= the original devs. The 3DS version is by Nicalis, who you may know as "the guys who keep dicking with Cave Story".

Top Bottom