• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2011

Sinthetic

A new episode (episode 6) of Nintendo Show 3D is up today on the American eShop.

- Talk about the life size Mario Kart done by West Coast Customs. Short interview as well.
Covered the following games.
- Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
- Catrap (GameBoy)
- Mega Man (GameBoy)
- Cave Story 3D (3DS)
- Exclusive clip is of Mario Kart 7.

The ending clips are of pizza being made and fish.

You guys are really lucky, we don't get anything cool in the UK shop.

Fewr

6. You'll be able to download software while your system is in Sleep Mode
Is that new?
I remember I once closed my DS while it was downloading something, and I'm sure it kept going while closed.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Just got Gargoyle's Quest last night. God it's hard. I can't even beat the first boss!

rpmurphy

Is that new?
I remember I once closed my DS while it was downloading something, and I'm sure it kept going while closed.
The DS does not go to sleep mode when the wireless connection is active, at least I have never seen an application that does.

Erethian

Is that new?

Here is how it's been explained by Iwata.

In terms of its usability, we know that there still are several issues with the Nintendo eShop. We have made several improvements for this time. For example, software downloads can be done when Nintendo 3DS is in sleep mode, which will lessen the need for the users to patiently wait by while downloading several software titles at once or while downloading software with a large memory capacity.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Shin'en announced Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH! coming soon for Nintendo eShop (Nintendo 3DS)

index_04.jpg

Play minigolf with your Mii™ and master new cups and trick shot challenges in beautiful environments.

The perfect touch controls make for a fun and rewarding putting experience. Customize your Mii to add a personal touch to your game. Play 54 holes spread across America, Asia and Europe. Enjoy exotic locations all over the world. Earn coins and spend them on flight tickets, Trickshot qualifications, luxury equipment and much more.

FUN! FUN! Minigolf TOUCH! is the ultimate minigolf game for everyone.

Play with your own Mii
Customize your Mii
Touch Controls or Pad Controls
Earn coins and spend them in the shop
54 holes, in lush stereoscopic 3D
9 Environments
9 Trickshot courses

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P1MYF5VXIw

mclem

It doesn't seem quite as graphical wizardry-y as some of their other recent titles, but looks pretty robust in terms of content; I'll be keeping an eye on it.

zigg

The DS does not go to sleep mode when the wireless connection is active, at least I have never seen an application that does.
Games had (probably still have, on 3DS) control over what they could do in "sleep mode"; they could suspend everything or keep some things going while turning others off. Examples included Band Brothers' music player mode, which would keep playing music through the headphone jack while the system was closed, and Animal Crossing, which—if you were online with friends—would continue to allow your friends to play in your town while you stood where you were last standing, nodding off.

sfog

There's now a Fossil Fighters Champions DS demo on the US Nintendo Channel. I'm not sure of when it was added since I haven't checked it in weeks, but it was labeled as new.

GeekyDad

Looks fun. I'd much rather give Shin'en my money than Gameloft.

Echo that, though to be fair, they look like pretty different games. Starting to notice Shin'en games have a very distinct look as of late. Their games have always looked great, but there's a shiny sheen in their last few games that looks...well, Shin'enish.

Just got Gargoyle's Quest last night. God it's hard. I can't even beat the first boss!

Keep playing! It is really not that hard once you get the hang of it. As a kid it was impossible for me (not understanding english was part of it), but since then I beat it twice with no big problems. Savestates on the 3DS make it even easier.

But it's an awesome game!

Echo that, though to be fair, they look like pretty different games. Starting to notice Shin'en games have a very distinct look as of late. Their games have always looked great, but there's a shiny sheen in their last few games that looks...well, Shin'enish.
I noticed Shin'en use a lot of Mario Galaxy-style rim lighting. It does make everything look extra shiny. Even Art Of Balance has it.

There's now a Fossil Fighters Champions DS demo on the US Nintendo Channel. I'm not sure of when it was added since I haven't checked it in weeks, but it was labeled as new.

Yeah, and it's not on the list in the first post either. Unfortunately just like the first Fossil Fighters demo it's fossil cleaning only, but at least it has a few different fossils.

:Motorbass said:
Keep playing! It is really not that hard once you get the hang of it. As a kid it was impossible for me (not understanding english was part of it), but since then I beat it twice with no big problems. Savestates on the 3DS make it even easier.

But it's an awesome game!
Yeah, it's a challenging game, but not impossible. It isn't Ghosts n Goblins-hard.

Colonel Mustard said:
Good to know. I'm still amazed at how well this holds up graphically. The animation is top notch and the "nintendo colors" are gorgeous. Some of the best art I've ever seen in a game.

Hopefully I'll finish this before Christmas since I know my lady bought me the 360 version of Origins.
I never got past Band Land, myself... I got it for the PC back around 2000, after getting and loving Rayman 2, and it was just so hard that I eventually gave up, despite the indeed great graphics. The limited lives and continues sure didn't help either...

I think I've heard that the PC (DOS) version might have less of a viewing area than the console versions (Jaguar/PSX/Saturn), though? I'm not sure, haven't played the console versions much.

BooJoh

Unfortunately just like the first Fossil Fighters demo it's fossil cleaning only, but at least it has a few different fossils.
This was disappointing. I was mildly interested in both games, but having a demo without even a battle to try out doesn't do anything toward making me want the games more.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I noticed Shin'en use a lot of Mario Galaxy-style rim lighting. It does make everything look extra shiny. Even Art Of Balance has it.
Wii trivia: the first game on the platform to use rim lighting to a good effect was not SMG.

This was disappointing. I was mildly interested in both games, but having a demo without even a battle to try out doesn't do anything toward making me want the games more.

I agree, I'd like to know what the combat is like too, and both demos definitely are pretty subpar.

A lot of those DS demos are really short, but most of the others at least give you some sense of the gameplay, and not just one part of it...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wii trivia: the first game on the platform to use rim lighting to a good effect was not SMG.

I was musing over this and trying to figure out what it is. Fragile Dreams post-dates SMG. I did a brief scan of my collection and I can't really think of any that pre-date SMG. I'm sure when you tell me I'll say "adoy!!!". What was?

That's crazy. It looks like the redid a lot of the sprites as well.

They would have to, since many sprites assumed the background would be black. If they didn't modify the sprites, Pit would have gray/red eyes as he stood in front of parts of the background, etc.

This was a common trick on the NES, make the background black and then leave parts of your sprite transparent to use black as a fourth color. Final Fantasy battles, big Mega Man bosses, etc.

I was musing over this and trying to figure out what it is. Fragile Dreams post-dates SMG. I did a brief scan of my collection and I can't really think of any that pre-date SMG. I'm sure when you tell me I'll say "adoy!!!". What was?

Dewey's Adventure? It was also one of the first Wii games to use normal mapping iirc.

I have 5500 Wii points. Think now is a good time to finally spend them? Any releases with potential coming? No chance cost of games is lowered?

What I have gathered are the best. What else should I consider or get instead of these?

Art of Balance - 800
Cave Story - 1200
And Yet It Moves - 1000
Fluidity - 1200
Super Mario RPG - 800

The VC games should be ones that have a cost much higher if you want a physical copy.

I have 5500 Wii points. Think now is a good time to finally spend them? Any releases with potential coming? No chance cost of games is lowered?

What I have gathered are the best. What else should I consider or get instead of these?

Art of Balance - 800
Cave Story - 1200
And Yet It Moves - 1000
Fluidity - 1200
Super Mario RPG - 800

The VC games should be ones that have a cost much higher if you want a physical copy.

What do you have / what genres do you like?

I have only Ice Hockey

here is my old gaf's greatest games of all time submission

1. Ocarina of Time
2. Super Mario Bros 3
3. GoldenEye
4. Super Mario 64
5. WWF No Mercy
6. NFL 2K
7. SimCity 2000
8. Sonic 2
9. Baseball Stars
10. Lemmings

Mario RPG would be a intro into the genre I have never cared to try.

BooJoh

Is it free in the US? The European "free" deal was insulting and excluded people who bought games when they, you know, came out.

Kind of wondering if the US is going to get this deal... I just bought Nintendogs during an Amazon lightning deal and I'll be picking up Mario Kart, so I'd sure like to get Kid Icarus free for registering them. I guess I'll hold off on registering them for a few days just in case.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Dewy's Adventure

jgkspsx

I am all over Pushmo.

Maybe I should get Dewey's Adventure. I wanted to love Elebits, but it was unresponsive and boring. MotionPlus might have helped a lot.

Madao

Kind of wondering if the US is going to get this deal... I just bought Nintendogs during an Amazon lightning deal and I'll be picking up Mario Kart, so I'd sure like to get Kid Icarus free for registering them. I guess I'll hold off on registering them for a few days just in case.

in this situation, the shitty american club nintendo is a blessing since i haven't registered any game i bought this year so i have codes for like 2 free kid icarus.

zigg

Don't. Controls are horrible.
Controls are fine, but the slippery physics may not be one's cup of tea. I rather liked it, though.

blu said:
That explains why some of us on this forum have 30+h in the game, I guess - we were all trench-fighting the controls.
Heh, I don't think I ever counted. Seemed like I was playing it a lot, though.

BooJoh

in this situation, the shitty american club nintendo is a blessing since i haven't registered any game i bought this year so i have codes for like 2 free kid icarus.

I already have platinum for the year, but I still don't want to wait on registering Mario Kart and miss out on the extra coins for early registration.

Top Bottom