• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2011

DarkWish

eShop is down... firmware update releasing "by" December 8th... could we get the update a little early? I hope so! Though I should try to not get my hopes up too high.

beje

Banned
eShop is down... firmware update releasing "by" December 8th... could we get the update a little early? I hope so! Though I should try to not get my hopes up too high.

Firmware updates have usually been up on Wednesdays other times, so maybe we're getting it tomorrow morning. Then again maybe not, as the eShop revamp might take longer than usual.

Can I get a WiiWare recommendation (or two) from you fine folks?

Here are a few I'm looking at.

LostWinds
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King
Alien Crush Returns
Gradius ReBirth
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord
NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits
Mr. Driller W
Contra ReBirth
LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias
Blaster Master: Overdrive
Zombie Panic in Wonderland
Jett Rocket
FAST - Racing League

Although obviously it's hard to pick non-franchise games out from Wikipedia's list.

Big One

Banned

LostWinds

Alien Crush Returns
Gradius ReBirth
Mr. Driller W
Contra ReBirth
Jett Rocket
FAST - Racing League

Although obviously it's hard to pick non-franchise games out from Wikipedia's list.
Highlighted my personal recommendations.

Also Castlevania the Adventure Rebirth.

The other games on there are pretty good from what I understand but try sticking to basics first I'd say.

Highlighted my personal recommendations.

Also Castlevania the Adventure Rebirth.

The other games on there are pretty good from what I understand but try sticking to basics first I'd say.
Thanks. I might go with LostWinds and Blaster Master right now, but am still open to suggestions.

I already own Castlevania Rebirth and a lot of others, I'm just looking to fill out my collection a little bit.

Did Blaser Master ever get that Classic Controller/480p update?

Who remembers the Wii Virtual Console? Good times.
Why is the vc so crummy in the US and Europe? Japan gets VC games still :S
I looked at the Japanese release list earlier today and it broke my heart.

Jett Rocket - good 3D platformer, but don't expect greatness. In any case, it's pretty short so it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Highly recommend Fluidity and MotoHeroz.

I still need to play the LostWinds, Contra Rebirth, Blaster Master, NyxQuest and a bunch of others. Sometimes I wish the Wii was portable :p

jgkspsx

MotoHeroz is fun but my god is it hard. Sometimes (escape stages) the stupid, unfair kind of hard.

I'm really hoping WiiWare ports well to 3DS.

To be honest I think Motoheroz kind of sucks. The game's physics seem incredibly random and make you feel like you have very little control over what happens to your vehicle, which was definitely not the case for me in Trials 2.

LostWinds
Alien Crush Returns
Gradius ReBirth
Mr. Driller W
Contra ReBirth
Jett Rocket
FAST - Racing League

I haven't played FF4, Blaster Master or Zombie Panic, but I've played the rest of them and they're all very good. They're all quite different from one another as well (except maybe Nyxquest and the Lost Winds games, but all three are still worth playing), so you can't really go wrong with any of them. Just pick the ones from the genres that you like the most. Also, like other people have said, BUY FLUIDITY!

I haven't played FF4, Blaster Master or Zombie Panic, but I've played the rest of them and they're all very good. They're all quite different from one another as well (except maybe Nyxquest and the Lost Winds games, but all three are still worth playing), so you can't really go wrong with any of them. Just pick the ones from the genres that you like the most. Also, like other people have said, BUY FLUIDITY!
I have Fluidity, but thanks for suggestions, I figured I was pulling most of the good games for my list.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

LostWinds
Alien Crush Returns
Gradius ReBirth
Mr. Driller W
Contra ReBirth
Jett Rocket
FAST - Racing League

Contra Rebirth.
Do it.

A few comments. If I said nothing I don't know is the answer.

LostWinds
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King - City buliding sim. Good if you enjoy urban planning. Its easy to get burnt out toward the end and these days 1500 points can probably be put to better use on the service.
Alien Crush Returns
Gradius ReBirth - If you're in Europe this is far cheaper for some reason. It should noted it got quite a substancial update which reviews might not take into account and hardly anyone noticed thanks to Nintendo's Amazing system of letting people know of..."well on the purchases page it will say update"
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years - Would stay away from. Hear it has: bad story, repetative gameplay, reuses way too much FFIV content (Kaipo waterway in particular) making it feel like a fangame or ROMhack. Will nickel and dime you to the end (the DLC cost should be the sticking point and is what turned me off the game, if you go for first chapter and last one its still 1600 points). If you have to play after years get the PSP FFIV instead.
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord - A tower defense inside and actual tower! Rather challenging too as its instant game over if the invaders reach the top and it uses a rock paper scisors style for attack types...when I say style its like Scisors do more damage to rock (and recieve more) than rock does to rock. Toward the end might have to grind early stages to obtain points for to unlock upgrades for monsters. Some DLC will make life easier but can do without.
NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits - Worth playing but I'd go for the Steam version if you can
Mr. Driller W - What other Mr. Diller games do you have or could have? IIRC the critiscism was that it a fairly plain take on Mr.Driller.
Contra ReBirth
Jett Rocket
FAST - Racing League

Who remembers the Wii Virtual Console? Good times.

I remember Europe still not having Mega Man X, yep, sure would be spiffing if they could rectify that, how about it NoE? you can make it my Christmas present or something.
I planned to get enough points for it and Castlevania Rebirth back in June when I believed it was actually coming, I still want to follow through on that plan!

Celine

LostWinds
Alien Crush Returns
Gradius ReBirth
Mr. Driller W
Contra ReBirth
LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias One of the best game on the service IMO. Great art and style.
Jett Rocket It's a simple 3d platform game that seems geared toward children as there aren't many anymore since the N64 days.
FAST - Racing League It has great potential and good ideas but it is deeply flawed in the core in that the power globes are vital in the later leagues. Bst graphics on the system as expected from Shin'en ( same for Jett Rocket)

Brief comment on what I own.

I have 5500 Wii points. Think now is a good time to finally spend them? Any releases with potential coming? No chance cost of games is lowered?

What I have gathered are the best. What else should I consider or get instead of these?

Art of Balance - 800
Cave Story - 1200
And Yet It Moves - 1000
Fluidity - 1200
Super Mario RPG - 800

The VC games should be ones that have a cost much higher if you want a physical copy.

all the art style games starting with Orbient.

OnPoint

Thanks. I might go with LostWinds and Blaster Master right now, but am still open to suggestions.

I already own Castlevania Rebirth and a lot of others, I'm just looking to fill out my collection a little bit.

Did Blaser Master ever get that Classic Controller/480p update?

I looked at the Japanese release list earlier today and it broke my heart.

Was I in time to stop you from going for Blaster Master Overdrive? Please don't do it. It was not as enjoyable as you would hope.

Go for the Virtual Console's Ufouria: The Saga if you really need to buy a SunSoft Wii downloadable.

Roto13

Apparently Pushmo was up for a few minutes last night when the eShop popped up during maintenance. It's not there now, though.

«þ»

Does anyone know if Hudson is doing a stripped down version of Tetris Axis/3DS for the eShop like they did for Tetris Party Live (which was a stripped down version of Tetris Party Deluxe)?

@MUWANdo

Banned
The DSiWare game Commando: Steel Disaster will be released in PAL territories on December 22, for 800 Points:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znzrBMPZeEg&feature=player_embedded

It's a Metal Slug clone that got a retail release a few years back. The only thing I remember about it is that they blatantly lifted a bunch of music from some Gundam series. Maybe it's fun, I dunno.

«þ»;33255578 said:
Does anyone know if Hudson is doing a stripped down version of Tetris Axis/3DS for the eShop like they did for Tetris Party Live (which was a stripped down version of Tetris Party Deluxe)?

That'd be Tetris Company's call. Also, Hudson no longer exists, they were folded into Konami.

Apparently Pushmo was up for a few minutes last night when the eShop popped up during maintenance. It's not there now, though.

Pretty sure they mistook the trailer for the game.

Weird that Japan still hasn't gotten Kirby's Adventure.

Anyway, 3DS VC games the west is still behind on vs Japan:

-Balloon Kid (Nintendo) EU
-Bionic Commando (Capcom) NA/EU
-Blaster Master: Enemy Below (Sunsoft) NA
-Kirby's Block Ball (Nintendo) NA/EU
-Lock 'N Chase (G-mode) NA
-The Sword of Hope (Kemco) NA/EU
-Trip World (Sunsoft) NA/EU
-Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Nintendo) NA/EU

The DSiWare game Commando: Steel Disaster will be released in PAL territories on December 200, for 800 Points:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znzrBMPZeEg&feature=player_embedded

It's a Metal Slug clone that got a retail release a few years back. The only thing I remember about it is that they blatantly lifted a bunch of music from some Gundam series. Maybe it's fun, I dunno.
So like about erm...July 2012 then?
Its like the November 38th joke...I know you meant to say 20th

Music: title screen was the Heavy Arms stage from Gundam Wing Endless Duel. The death music was part of Black Omen from Chrono Trigger.

There is probably some other plagarism (or both audio and graphics kind) too.

«þ»;33255578 said:
Nx6F8.jpg

Japan is getting Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 this month

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/eshop/vc/rbaj/index.html

I've been waiting for this one.

What's wrong with Blaster Master?

Yeah, I'm a bit perplexed that I don't have that or Gradius myself.

The Castlevania one is SO good.

get both but only play them on hardest settings.
they are ridiculously easy for being Gradius and Contra games

edit:
What's wrong with Blaster Master?

I have it and I had some wierd problems with the controls. I love the original one but the remake felt kinda "off".
Also the graphics looked to Bomberman Act Zero'ish

Roto13

Wario Land this month? Awesome. North America probably gets it too. Great game, and one step closer to Wario Land II. :p

So it sounds like a ton of features were added to the eShop.

Add the exact amount you need to buy something from the eShop. You don’t have to add funds to a virtual wallet if you don’t want to anymore.

Save your credit card info to your system. When you add funds, you have to type in a 4 to 8 digit code. If you mess up 3 times in a row, it deletes your info.

Queue up to 10 downloads and download them through SpotPass while the system is in sleep mode.

Redeem download codes. The option is under Settings/Other on the eShop.

Downloadable demos are available now depending on your 3DS’s region. Japan has demos right now.

Developers can now put DLC on the eShop. No DLC that I know of is available yet though.
eShop game icons now display how many reviews a game has been given, alongside the star rating.

Game pages on the eShop are redesigned slightly (everything is arranged in a line now and the screen scrolls left and right (probably because of the extra “demo” icon that will eventually appear there).

The “Available in Shops” isreplaced with “Not available in Nintendo eShop”

You can now set a filter for the New Software arrivals screen (so you can just look at new DSiWare games, or just new VC games, etc.).

With those top three, the eShop is pretty much good enough for me. I don't need to have a balance in my wallet any more and I don't have to put in my credit card info every time. It sounds like it's saved to the system, too, and not the account so it should be a lot more secure than it is on PSN and Xbox Live.

Maybe the download codes mean I'll be able to get press copies of eShop games for review.

LostWinds
Alien Crush Returns
Gradius ReBirth
Mr. Driller W
Contra ReBirth
Jett Rocket
FAST - Racing League

All of those are solid options really I think, it depends on what you want... of those I have NyxQuest (indeed it's pretty good), FAST (good futuristic racing game, get it if you like the genre), My Life as a Darklord (fun TD game! I like TD a lot, and this is a good TD game. And yeah, it is challenging too. There is a lot of DLC but you don't need to buy most of it.), and Gradius ReBirth (must-get for any Gradius, or 16-bit-style shmup, fan... it's not quite as good as Gradius III, but it is a very good game.).

I would also mention Castlevania ReBirth as well if you don't have it, it's great and well worth it. Short but fun pretty much.

Roto13[/quote said:
Wario Land this month? Awesome. North America probably gets it too. Great game, and one step closer to Wario Land II. :p
Wario Land: SML3 is better than Wario Land II, though. :)

Both are good games, but WL1 and VBWL are my favorites in the series. They're great classic platformers, done really well. WL2 and 3's no-die system is interesting, but I don't think the games are quite as good overall. WL2 reuses a bunch of stuff from WL1 too, including the engine, music, graphics, etc. The gameplay is of course entirely different as I said (and at times much more frustrating, I definitely would not say that WL2's gameplay was better than WL1 or VBWL), and the idea obviously was to have you fight the same group of enemies again, but still at times it felt a bit lazy.

Both are certainly worth playing, though, yeah. And VBWL as well. I really hope Nintendo does a Virtual Boy emulator for 3DS at some point... I'm not sure if I'm expecting it, but it'd be great, for the many people who have not played those games.

Wily's Revenge is pretty bad. Gargoyle's Quest is fun. Haven't played Balloon Kid.

I hope we (US/EU) actually get demos tomorrow. Japan got 7. I doubt we get that many, but three or four would make me happy.

Effect

I just want an Ace Combat demo.

This. I'm more then willing to buy more 3DS games going forward but I need a way of trying them out before I buy. Ace Combat is certainly one game I'm on the fence about. Playing it a bit could possibly push me over the edge to getting it.

Top Bottom