• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - June 2015

So last month I bought Stone Shire and posted my impressions (it's crap). Today I went ahead and bought Cube Life, as it looks much better and like I said last month I am a sucker for Minecraft clones.

On the positive side, Cube Life is already 100 times better than Stone Shire. You can actually craft things in this game (Stone Shire had various metal bars and a pickaxe, I think that was it), there are lots of items and most are direct copies of Minecraft. The production values are much higher. There's voice acting. There are animals and enemies in the world, something Stone Shire lacked. This has potential to be a very good Minecraft clone.

Unfortunately....

The biggest problem is that in maybe an hour of total playtime the game has locked up my console twice. The first time it happened when I died, the second time it was just random as I was walking around. I couldn't turn off the console using the gamepad, I had to hold down the power button on the Wii U for a few seconds and get scolded when I turned it back on. I'm afraid to play much more if it's going to crash this often.

The second problem I have won't affect everyone but it makes the game nearly unplayable for me. There's no option to invert the Y axis. Why games still get released with such basic options omitted is beyond me, but until this gets patched in (assuming it ever does) I'm not going to fight with a camera that's the opposite of what I'm used to.

So yeah, the game has potential but I can't recommend it at this point. At least it's better than Stone Shire though. Maybe Ucraft will be good. The wait continues....

The biggest problem is that in maybe an hour of total playtime the game has locked up my console twice. The first time it happened when I died, the second time it was just random as I was walking around. I couldn't turn off the console using the gamepad, I had to hold down the power button on the Wii U for a few seconds and get scolded when I turned it back on. I'm afraid to play much more if it's going to crash this often.

The second problem I have won't affect everyone but it makes the game nearly unplayable for me. There's no option to invert the Y axis. Why games still get released with such basic options omitted is beyond me, but until this gets patched in (assuming it ever does) I'm not going to fight with a camera that's the opposite of what I'm used to.
Maybe you should post about these two things in the game's Miiverse community. It's a very good place to report on stuff like these and it's often used for this and I'm sure you're not the only one with these complaints. If the developer has any idea about what they're doing, they should be hanging around that community, specially near launch, and with any luck you'll get a reply. There's nothing to lose, in any case.

VLiberty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mario_sports_games

The Mario Strikers franchise (Mario Football in PAL regions) is a video game franchise that introduced soccer to the Mushroom Kingdom. The series is developed by Next Level Games and it began in 2005 for the Nintendo GameCube with Super Mario Strikers. There is two games so far with a third entry being announced at E3 2015, the game is slated for a spring 2016 release, this is one of the games being played in the Nintendo World Championships.

wat

I mean, I know, Wikipedia is obviously not reliable as a source but is this based on something we actually know? I know shit about Nintendo World Championship

@MUWANdo

Banned
Seriously though, why isn't the gaming media on this stuff more? Like during an interview with Damon Baker or another NOA rep, if I could at some point I'd ask "Natsume was asked about releasing more SNES titles on VC but stated 'Nintendo is moving on from SNES on VC," is there any truth to that.

Nintendo doesn't respond to unsolicited press requests and the few outlets they do liaise with aren't ever going to ask actual questions. Nintendo doesn't need to play their game and they know it.

Damon Baker isn't involved with the VC, incidentally, and I doubt many journalists could tell you who is.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LLEODCK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

~$28 for 64GB and you could just leave it plugged in at the back of your system.

Thanks a bunch for linking to this. Seems like an excellent solution so I ordered one. With the kinds of updates I'm expecting from Wii U games in the future this will come in very handy.

Splatoon is the first retail game I've bought digitally on Wii U but I only have 16GB left. Mario Kart 8 + DLC takes up 2301MB, Smash Bros is at 950MB so far, Pikmin 3 and Nintendo Land are ~350MB each... and with Xenoblade's install option taking up to 10GB...

tolkir

Today I had a dream that we'll see a Mother-related game in E3.
They'll announce to download Lucas for Smash and immediately after a megaton.
(Mother 3 for VC or Mother 4) :p

Maybe chapter 274 of Gintama affected me.

LayLa

No crying until the end of E3

Pokemaniac

I actually don't think that that's that unlikely (the Mother 3 part at least).

Pokemaniac

So it looks like Nintendo might finally be closing down the Nintendo Video app in NA. I just got a notification saying that Nintendo Video is moving to the eShop. Sounds like they'll have pretty much everything that's ever aired on Nintendo Video uploaded eventually.

So yeah, the game has potential but I can't recommend it at this point. At least it's better than Stone Shire though. Maybe Ucraft will be good. The wait continues....

I'm actually sort of optimistic about Ucraft. It appears to at least have some neat/original ideas, like the ability to build and race on kart racing tracks and importing custom textures from that SDK Paint utility.

GulAtiCa

I'm actually sort of optimistic about Ucraft. It appears to at least have some neat/original ideas, like the ability to build and race on kart racing tracks and importing custom textures from that SDK Paint utility.

It certainly more optimistic about UCraft then Stone Shire... Though, his horrible attitude really leaves much to be desired. Guy sadly is incapable of taking any from of criticism (esp good helpful kind).

But do give him props for going all out with UCraft and dedicating much to it.

I removed it. It had been up for nearly a month and nobody had done a thing about it. Blech.

Kinda weird. I edited the Natsume entry to include Seeds of Memories, citing the company's press release under 'published Wii U games'. My entry was deleted within about 2 minutes, while I was fixing a formatting issue with the entry.

It certainly more optimistic about UCraft then Stone Shire... Though, his horrible attitude really leaves much to be desired. Guy sadly is incapable of taking any from of criticism (esp good helpful kind).

But do give him props for going all out with UCraft and dedicating much to it.

Yeah, his reaction to criticism is a bit childish. On the other hand, NintendoLife isn't always fair with the points they make. I usually cite their Witch and Hero review, where the reviewer basically uses his text as a soapbox to explain why he hates tower defense games. It would be like asking me to review a driving sim--the game may be mechanically sound and proficient in everything it does, but at the end of the day, I hate the genre and find the games devoid of fun.

steveovig

What kind of a platformer is Adventures of Pip? Is it difficult like 1001 Spikes? I'm too lazy to read a review, I guess I could though, over at NL lol!

Maybe you should post about these two things in the game's Miiverse community. It's a very good place to report on stuff like these and it's often used for this and I'm sure you're not the only one with these complaints. If the developer has any idea about what they're doing, they should be hanging around that community, specially near launch, and with any luck you'll get a reply. There's nothing to lose, in any case.

Good idea, I went ahead and made a post about it on Miiverse. I looked through some of the other comments first and noticed a few people mentioning the lack of inverted control option, but no one else said anything about the game locking up. Maybe I'll play it some more tonight and see if I still encounter the issue.

Also, add me to the list of people having fun with Adventures of Pip. Very nice game.

TheMoon

What kind of a platformer is Adventures of Pip? Is it difficult like 1001 Spikes? I'm too lazy to read a review, I guess I could though, over at NL lol!

It's not a masochist platformer like Spikes. It's more puzzly since you switch between "bit" forms to get different abilities so you can traverse the environment. There are secret areas in levels to find and stuff, too.

Camjo-Z

I Kickstarted Adventures of Pip thinking it looked alright but the gameplay so far has been pretty simplistic. Hopefully the difficulty starts to pick up a little more later on.

I Kickstarted Adventures of Pip thinking it looked alright but the gameplay so far has been pretty simplistic. Hopefully the difficulty starts to pick up a little more later on.
That's kind of what I was worried about looking at this game.

Also, for some reason the character being a giant square as some sort of "retro throwback" irrationally irritates me.

Camjo-Z

That's kind of what I was worried about looking at this game.

Also, for some reason the character being a giant square as some sort of "retro throwback" irrationally irritates me.

What surprised me was the fact that a game all about retro graphics doesn't really look the part. The animation is mostly tween-based rather than being frame-by-frame.

gunstarhero

Just got to the Swamp area, where you get a third form. Things pick up a little from there - but nothing mind-blowing yet. Still enjoying my time with it so far - well worth the asking price.

Reminds me a little of Wonderboy 3: Dragons Trap - I can certainly see the beginnings of that game here.

TheMoon

Just got to the Swamp area, where you get a third form. Things pick up a little from there - but nothing mind-blowing yet. Still enjoying my time with it so far - well worth the asking price.

Reminds me a little of Wonderboy 3: Dragons Trap - I can certainly see the beginnings of that game here.

I keep thinking, do you still want an OT? Not sure there is demand.

jholmes

I wonder about you guys saying Adventures of Pip is too simple. I beat the swamp last night and got all the villagers so far and there's a lot of wild jumping and transforming on the fly. It's a little more puzzle-based than I had expected but there's lots of game left and I can see the jumping getting tough.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I still think the best Wii U indie game this year has been Elliot Quest and that includes Affordable Space Adventures.

Also ugh listened to this week's NVC, and ugh the amount of misinformation from IGN when it comes to anything related to the mobile realm is ugh. Even when they had their in house developer Fransico on in a previous episode he was half clueless too.

Spent half the time yelling at them in my mind. It was like that big GAF thread all over again.

GulAtiCa

Elliot Quest: They have another patch coming later this month too! https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkJb4K9hg
Speaking of patches, mine, ZaciSa's Last Stand, finally arrives later this month too! https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkI_CAqFA

---

For Adventures of Pip. Trying to save all 3 extra people in a level does become tough at times. Requires you to up your game skills at times. 1st few levels are rather simple, but once you unlock all 3 char modes, becomes more complex.

maxcriden

They dropped a 2nd patch around the beginning of May that should have fixed most people's issues.

It fixed most issues. In my game at least, and we haven't gotten to do much console gaming in the last month with our move 😥😥😥, I found that. One of the bosses was still glitches but doable. I think that will be fixed with the next patch though. I don't recall if the dev told me that directly or if I read it. I did beat the boss with this glitch, and I think it was possibly partly fixed just not all the way fixed. Either way it will be much more doable when patched. I don't want to spoil anything though because it's a pretty cool fight.

And I'll gladly second Vanilla. My doge is right. I haven't gotten to play ASA, Nihilumbra or Pip yet--all downloaded and back logged for the moment--but EQ is one of my favorite gaming experiences in a while and a true modern Zelda II essentially, at least from the tiny bits and pieces I've played of that game. It's a stellar experience and truly delightful to play.

maxcriden

Omg. Woah Dave is super fun. Made it to $1.55 and feeling like I'm starting to get the hang of it. It just much scratches that itch for something akin to the original Mario Bros but definitely its own thing as well. Pretty addictive. Anyone else playing it?

Thanks again to Conerse for hooking me up with a copy of this and OlliOlli! Super generous of you and I really appreciate it!

Yuterald

Pip is legit. 5 levels in and it's good stuff. OST is exceptional, imo. Really love it when Virt gets to work on off-beat/new games.

rjc571

Banned
Come on, somebody let me know if the 3DS version of AVGN Adventures has 3D support and runs at 60 fps so I know whether to buy it.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 North American Nintendo eShop keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460878.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (VideoMan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

4x0Atzo.png
vqmNC1W.png
RNFEX3J.png

x0NgVuQ.png
OlliOlli (Wii U) -- MB-223D2373E67D0990 - Taken by Shun. 6 entrants total.
x0NgVuQ.png
Gunman Clive (3DS) -- MB-91A1272E6505A2EC - Taken by ZodR_ARG. 8 entrants total.
x0NgVuQ.png
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Wii U) -- MB-327DED2C5EB33A62 - Taken by Neo Dark. 4 entrants total.

t1433712998z1.png

GulAtiCa

Oh! Tomorrow Corporation (Little Inferno, also some of them worked on World of Goo) just announced a new game! Human Resource Machine.

Not much info yet, no trailer yet (coming soon). But I'd imagine they will be most likely announcing it for at least Wii U too. I'm excited.

sörine

Banned
2 more humble codes! Quote to see.

BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien Wii U

Gunman Clive 3DS

I never realize how much I have downloaded until I got a message saying I didn't have enough space. So new goal has been made,I must beat most of these games so I can make room for others. :D

Top Bottom