• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - November 2011

mdtauk

Oh my god. I mean Oh My God.

So I loved Donkey Kong '94 when I was a kid, and I downloaded it recently to relive my nostalgia. Then I suddenly realised, it's still a bloody damn fine game today and more than holds its own against modern gaming.

Seriously. The controls are perfect. The level designs are ingenious. Every few levels a fresh new idea comes along and shifts everything around. The graphics are crisp and clear and cute, especially the little animations Mario and Donkey Kong have. The music is hip and jazzy. But the best thing is, the game really suits handheld pick-up-and-play gameplay habits. The levels are just small enough to play at any time, but they prove to be just enough of a headscratcher that you get a smug sense of accomplishment when you clear a stage. And to top it off, the game is absolutely packed with stages.

I'm sorry for gushing, I'm just really glad that I've had something to really drag me away from pretty little wallpapers that pass for games on the iPhone (I'm looking at you, Tiny Tower!) If you haven't got the game yet, I seriously suggest picking it up. It's well worth the piddly couple of quid it costs. Definitely one of the Game Boy's finest games ever. The only downside is that you can't play it with the Super Game Boy borders and colours, but that is just a superficial thing obviously - the game suffers nil from its absence.

It is indeed one of the very best games ever made. A true masterpiece. Hasn't aged a bit!

While it's sequel wasn't nearly as good (Mario VS DK) it's still a great game and you'll be getting it free if you're an ambassador!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Question about the upcoming system transfer feature - if I use
It to transfer all my data, will it also carry over my friend code and friendlist ?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Never played it on GameBoy. I thought the GBA game was a remake of it. Is the GBA game essentially the same game or are they totally separate?

100% separate.

Donkey Kong '94 includes the original 4 Donkey Kong levels and about 100 others. Mario vs DK is a loose sequel to DK 94 with entirely different mechanics. The game is about half-way between DK 94 and Lemmings. Mario vs DK2+ go even further off in that direction. All of them are great games, but DK '94 is by far the best.

I'd say the only action puzzler Nintendo has put out that's better is Mario & Wario for the Super Famicom.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Don't think it works like that. Should only transfer games but they haven't really detailed it.

Ugh - this blows, so I'll have to re add all people to
my friendlist ? Guess this means. no white 3DS for me ;-/

backlot

Don't think it works like that. Should only transfer games but they haven't really detailed it.

I don't think there's any reason to believe it will only transfer games. Even the original DS had the ability to transfer wifi settings and friend codes from system to system so I don't see why the 3DS won't.

Roto13

They haven't announced it but I'd be really surprised if you couldn't transfer your friends list from one 3DS to another.

I think someone should put in the December Downloads thread in the title, No we don't know when the Ambassador games are coming out, stop asking.

watershed

Banned
So with the eshop going down for the update do we know exactly what changes to the eshop are being made? Is this the update that will enable, dlc, demos, and paying directly per item? Is there more?

Yes. By the end of 2011, which would make them available at the beginning of 2012.

InvertedSongofTime.jpg

So with the eshop going down for the update do we know exactly what changes to the eshop are being made? Is this the update that will enable, dlc, demos, and paying directly per item? Is there more?

All we know for sure is that it'll have the 3DS demos, game DLC, downloads while in sleep mode, the QR code quick jump function and the web site based eShop. Everything else is currently a mystery.

InvertedSongofTime.jpg

NOOOOOOOO, use the Song of Double Time! I don't want to wait longer!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
It is indeed one of the very best games ever made. A true masterpiece. Hasn't aged a bit!

While it's sequel wasn't nearly as good (Mario VS DK) it's still a great game and you'll be getting it free if you're an ambassador!

Oh yes, the GBA game is good too, though not nearly as sublime as the Game Boy original. It's still clever, satisfying and tightly controlled. I actually really like the cutscenes too - NST did a good job with the humour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8MKYu3l0vA

Top Bottom