• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo @ E3 - No Direct, Just Zelda Treehouse Stream

Status
Not open for further replies.

notaskwid

Basic mechanics and art style aside, Majora's Mask is VERY different from Ocarina of Time.
static1.squarespace.gif

Sagroth

We don't even know when the console will be revealed, so making assumptions about the games we know will lunch on NX is at this point completely pointless. The only thing we know for sure is that we know pretty much nothing.

I think you're missing the point. We've known Pikmin has been in the works for a long time, and we know Zelda is coming to NX. We also know what the launch lineups for their last two consoles have been like, and that Nintendo has struggled, by their own admission, with HD game development. Furthermore, Nintendo has been rubbish about getting 3rd parties on board.

My point is this: if you don't have much of anything for the last year and a half of your last console, and skip E3 and your own Directs entirely, saying that the reason is to bolster your launch lineup, then said launch lineup needs to be stellar. However, their track record as of late does not lend confidence to this being true.

People are putting a whole lot of stock into the NX and games reveal to be excellent(and I can't really blame them). I think there's a very strong chance they're disappointed.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I've always thought that the core method of interaction and gameplay is how titles should be compared, yes. That's how genres are formed or should be formed.

And nothing alike? I told you how they're alike. If you don't understand what's going on with that I can't help you. What genres would you put them in if not third-person action-adventure? What titles would you compare them to?

As a long-term Zelda fan the first time I played Demon's Souls way back on release my first thought was that it reminded me of a grown up, super-dark Zelda game.

I agree with your analysis. The Souls games play like an evolution of Zelda in an alternate reality where the Zelda team decided to focus more on combat than puzzles.

Toxi

Banned

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It's hilarious at this point how this deal is getting worse with every update. Next thing you know, they'll be showing Zelda demo reels on old crt tv's. Pray they don't alter it any further.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm still really hype for Zelda, but sheesh, Nintendo. That NX reveal better be worth the delay and the no presence at E3.

Papacheeks

Banned
lol please. You know that was never going to happen. You won't know what's in it until months after launch speculating on die shots.

Feels like I hit a Nintendo nerve no?

PS4 had it's specs out months before E3. This thing launches in March 2017 and since they can't have a whole E3 presence because of manufacturing and software issues, you'd think they would have had a PR backup for just being able to talk about it in some way or another.

Showing one fucking game at their Treehouse is such a dumb fucking move. Shows that they are not prepared to take on a new console. And when you are ramping up for a console launch there are things you put in place knowing that issues in manufacturing or blips i software development usually do rear their ugly heads in this time frame.
PS4 didn't even show the god damn system. They showed the controller, bunch of slides on the specs, and some tech demos showing what the system could do and ended on showing couple first party IP titles.

That is all Nintendo has to do is show fucking slides, they don't even have to talk about it's official name if they want. They can just be vague as hell, just so they get people in one way or another talking.
Waiting for a event that we all hope is hype as hell in the fall, doesn't show a ton of confidence in the company or the product that they want everyone to gravitate towards since their news of ending Wii U production by 2018 is telling.

Seriously this issue they had that changed their whole E3 must have been fucking devastating to not being able to show a bunch of slides with fucking text on it. Or show a video of some of their developers talking about the new tech and how it's making them approach gaming differently.

There's no fucking excuse in how they have approached this new console, and E3. It's like they think that theur name alone is enough for people to get excited for.
Seriously they better pull out all the stops come this fall, times square unveiling and all that.

If not this thing is fucking dead.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
While I actually do think only Zelda at E3 is uninteresting, I'm a bit amused that last year the overall reaction to E3 was like "Wow, Treehouse stream was amazing, innovative and the best thing at E3". I even saw some people suggest Nintendo should just drop the preamble E3 direct and announce things over the course of the show via Treehouse to keep viewers engaged and watching.

This year they drop the Direct to focus on Treehouse and we're back to wringing hands over Nintendo not putting on a show to compete with other two big companies in the Console War.

Also, to be realistic it seems unlikely Nintendo will leave the Treehouse hosts sitting there for days with nothing but a partial gameplay demo of Zelda to talk about.

Zelda must be HUMONGOUS. If it's literally going to be their only presentation highlight and go for all of treehouse, this game just have an amazing amount of content. If not..........

atr0cious

I've always thought that the core method of interaction and gameplay is how titles should be compared, yes. That's how genres are formed or should be formed.
Wait, so the first and major mechanic you do in OoT is go through a bunch of speech bubbles... When does this ever happen in a souls game?
The first two Dark Souls games sold a combined 8 million copies, with the first selling over 5 million.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword sold 3.67 million.
On a single system in its twilight, with a highly marred control scheme.

Jigolo

I get it now. Nintendo are using E3 as a huge Zelda direct kind of deal. Their real E3 will be in September/October whenever they reveal the NX with launch games and co.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Also, to be realistic it seems unlikely Nintendo will leave the Treehouse hosts sitting there for days with nothing but a partial gameplay demo of Zelda to talk about.

The announcement makes it sound like the Treehouse Stream is just 1 day.

MLH

Just Zelda? Nintendo what are you doing?! I love Zelda but this is ridiculous.
What about all the games you're publishing this year? I wan't to see Dragon Quest 7, Monster Hunter Gen; will those be at SE & Capcom booths? What about Paper Mario Colour Splash? I can still be convinced...
And what about some surprises? Like Mother 3 for Virtual Console!

Is this all some conservative money saving maneuver? With R&D, production costs and little software/ hardware sales returns, Nintendo's finances must look dire to investors, so selling their stake in Seattle Mariners & keeping presence at E3 low they can save some money, and hold out until FY2017 when they're making gains with NX.

It's gonna be a pretty rough ride throughout E3, but here's hoping it's worth it for the NX. I'm not surprised they're doing this, to be honest. I'd rather they call it quits entirely than try to prop up a meagre presentation/Direct with nothing to show.

Rambler

Being a Nintendo fan that doesn't like Zelda is starting to feel like being a Sega fan that doesn't like Sonic.

Sagroth

It's hilarious at this point how this deal is getting worse with every update. Next thing you know, they'll be showing Zelda demo reels on old crt tv's. Pray they don't alter it any further.

darth-vader-i-am-altering-the-deal.png

Now I want the above with Reggie/Miyamoto/etc's face on it :p

At its own event and or direct like most of Nintendo's big games?

How many of those have we had this year? Fucking one half-assed one and a Pokemon concept art cocktease?

Ever since Iwata passed the Directs have been terrible and infrequent.

I am absolutely flabbergasted that they are doing a media blowout on the lesser version of a crossgen game that is TBA 2017 and not cutting even one god damned trailer for their biggest 2016 release. Like, why even show up? What is the point of this?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The E3 is not a good format for Nintendo's interests. You get praise for showing a FMV of a game but pure and honest gameplay is received with disdain.

They are probably moving towards a Nintendo-only fair with their own tournaments and showcasings.

So why can't they so only gameplay at E3?

This is some bullshit. When in the fuck are we going to find out about Sun/Moon?

That's why I think they MUST have some other event planned. They HAVE to show off Sun/Moon, Paper Mario, NX Reveal and whatever else at SOME point in 2016, it's just weird it's not at E3. It'll hopefully be sooner rather than later.

Eh they'll earn it all back through a NX reveal event. They're wanting to stand out and E3 isn't the place to do it with so many competing companies being there. Smart move, this way the NX will get total attention when it's shown.

Hyped for zelda news.
If Nintendo really wanted to do that, they would have done a NX reveal event before E3.

Not a smart move to do a reveal event months later. I just don't think people would care as much.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Wait, so the first and major mechanic you do in OoT is go through a bunch of speech bubbles... When does this ever happen in a souls game?

Stop being obtuse. Look up the Iron Knuckle fight from Ocarina, and then look up a random black knight fight from Dark Souls. The mechanics of the two games are at least in the same genre of gameplay.

Edit:

Iron Knuckle. You're going to tell me that this fight looks nothing like a primitive version of a 1v1 Souls fight mechanically?

Boney

Banned
People need to realize that it's not 1995 anymore and that if you wanna show Pokemon you put a press release on day in advance and then release a trailer and it'll go viral in a second.

Ansatz

And nothing alike? I told you how they're alike. If you don't understand what's going on with that I can't help you. What genres would you put them in if not third-person action-adventure? What titles would you compare them to?

As a long-term Zelda fan the first time I played Demon's Souls way back on release my first thought was that it reminded me of a grown up, super-dark Zelda game.

The souls games are action-RPG while Zelda is a series where the central gameplay hook is environmental interaction through the use of items.

In SS they added lite RPG elements like collecting materials and using them to upgrade items, but that is the result of market trends dictating design and imo doesn't belong in Zelda. The franchise should focus on organic progression systems, not levels and skill trees. Zelda is about bombing a cracked wall to reveal a lava flow, which raises objects to a higher plane and thus you can use them as platforms to reach a new location.

It all makes sense now.

The first two hours of the stream will be Nintendo demoing that you can actually go to that mountain in the background. The rest of the day will be spent demoing fishing and horse riding.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo's 76th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders is scheduled to be held on June 29, 2016. That will hopefully bring some NX information (details on how and when NX will be revealed), and its not very long after E3 2016 either.

Morts

If I were Nintendo I'd hide one demo station of the NX version of Zelda among all the Wii U stations and see how long after the show floor opens it takes for people to notice. Then when people ask about the controller just give the ol' "we aren't talking about that right now".

People realize Nintendo isn't the only one skipping E3 this year right?

Activision simply moved their game to Sony's booth. EA might have dropped out of the E3 institution, but they still clearly focus in being part of the event. They still have a conference and are going to be associated with E3 by viewers worldwide. The event is more important than the building. Last year we had 3 new conferences. PC and Bethesda already confirmed to return.

Sorry, the ,,E3 losing relevance" narrative doesn't make sense outside of Nintendo's bubble. It's only Nintendo losing relevance.

Imagine Reggie being bombarded with questions about the NX and all he is supposed to talk is about Zelda. If the game was releasing early for the Wii U would make some sense but it is not even releasing till next year!

maxcriden

I mean, will there even be a dedicated Zelda trailer? I don't want to watch hours of footage. just a trailer. Surely Nintendo will upload one?

MK_768

I mean, I dont understand the anger lol. I thought this was clear when Nintendo stepped on the breaks with an anvil. For me I don't care about what Nintendo says or does until they reveal Nintendo.

I'll peer at Zelda but I'm not a Zelda gamer so I don't really. I'll guess that they will put out a mini-direct for the 3DS and Wii U game(s) coming out. We'll get Pokemon S/M stuff this month from The Pokemon Company. Believe Joe Merrick said he'd be shocked if we don't see something within the next week or so(paraphrasing).

For those who are saying they don't understand what Nintendo is doing right now...well no shit lmao. But to overreact to it is just idiotic. Nintendo are going back to that cave they were in after Iwata died, except this time they have a boulder and the yakuza blocking he entrance. They are hibernating until they are ready. If they fuck that up...then well have fun with your well-founded criticism.

Ob wow that really blows, not even footage of the new pokemon game. Probably wont even watch their zelda event, i dont really care much for the series, ill just watch the highlight reels or something

Rösti;202703441 said:
Nintendo's 76th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders is scheduled to be held on June 29, 2016. That will hopefully bring some NX information (details on how and when NX will be revealed), and its not very long after E3 2016 either.
I'm ready for this lol

Hydrus

Rösti;202703441 said:

Lol, not this again. I'm already sick of shareholder meetings. Why not just announce the fucking console already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom