• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo @ E3 - No Direct, Just Zelda Treehouse Stream

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually really hyped for Zelda.

Edit: And I don't want to complain.

"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever."

Vena

ChD5v2KU4AME53R.jpg

So, what happened last minute? Because something happened at the very last minute and forced a change of plans.

KainXVIII

Wait, so the first and major mechanic you do in OoT is go through a bunch of speech bubbles... When does this ever happen in a souls game?
On a single system in its twilight, with a highly marred control scheme.

I wonder if WiiU controls will be even more "marred"

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
While I actually do think only Zelda at E3 is uninteresting, I'm a bit amused that last year the overall reaction to E3 was like "Wow, Treehouse stream was amazing, innovative and the best thing at E3". I even saw some people suggest Nintendo should just drop the preamble E3 direct and announce things over the course of the show via Treehouse to keep viewers engaged and watching.

This year they drop the Direct to focus on Treehouse and we're back to wringing hands over Nintendo not putting on a show to compete with other two big companies in the Console War.

Also, to be realistic it seems unlikely Nintendo will leave the Treehouse hosts sitting there for days with nothing but a partial gameplay demo of Zelda to talk about.

There is only 1 day of Treehouse announced, all focusing on Zelda.

People realize Nintendo isn't the only one skipping E3 this year right?

Who else is? And don't answer EA, before thinking twice about it, beause EA will have more games at E3 than Nintendo.

MK_768

Really lame. I'm not hyped for E3 at all this year.

You dont have a PS4 or Xb1, specifically a PS4? I mean sure Nintendo has really sapped a lot of the hype for me, but I got a PS4. I'm looking forward to it even if I won't believe any of he release dates or release periods they announce lmfao.

Toxi

Banned
This thread is now a Zelda vs. Dark Souls thread.
It was inevitable.

Zelda really doesn't need to be like Dark Souls. For example, one of the main appeals of Zelda (and other Nintendo games) is the high level of polish. Meanwhile, From's janky as hell. One of the stats in Dark Souls 3 literally does nothing right now.

...But I would probably be less leery about buying Nintendo home consoles if they actually got Dark Souls.

cheesekao

People who say "But E3 doesn't isn't a good place for Nintendo to show off anymore!" need to go and stay go. Nintendo's E3 2014 show was a solid performance and unless I'm mistaken, it was the most well received of the big 3 that year. All it takes for a good E3 showing is simple, show good and interesting games.

Feels like I hit a Nintendo nerve no?

PS4 had it's specs out months before E3. This thing launches in March 2017 and since they can't have a whole E3 presence because of manufacturing and software issues, you'd think they would have had a PR backup for just being able to talk about it in some way or another.

Showing one fucking game at their Treehouse is such a dumb fucking move. Shows that they are not prepared to take on a new console. And when you are ramping up for a console launch there are things you put in place knowing that issues in manufacturing or blips i software development usually do rear their ugly heads in this time frame.
PS4 didn't even show the god damn system. They showed the controller, bunch of slides on the specs, and some tech demos showing what the system could do and ended on showing couple first party IP titles.

That is all Nintendo has to do is show fucking slides, they don't even have to talk about it's official name if they want. They can just be vague as hell, just so they get people in one way or another talking.
Waiting for a event that we all hope is hype as hell in the fall, doesn't show a ton of confidence in the company or the product that they want everyone to gravitate towards since their news of ending Wii U production by 2018 is telling.

Seriously this issue they had that changed their whole E3 must have been fucking devastating to not being able to show a bunch of slides with fucking text on it. Or show a video of some of their developers talking about the new tech and how it's making them approach gaming differently.

There's no fucking excuse in how they have approached this new console, and E3. It's like they think that theur name alone is enough for people to get excited for.
Seriously they better pull out all the stops come this fall, times square unveiling and all that.

If not this thing is fucking dead.

This is worrying. If the NX is launching less than a year from now, they better be name dropping more launch titles than just Zelda. This leads me to think that NX will release until the holidays

People who say "But E3 doesn't isn't a good place for Nintendo to show off anymore!" need to go and stay go. Nintendo's E3 2014 show was a solid performance and unless I'm mistaken, it was the most well received of the big 3 that year.
Nobody is saying that at all...

Aroll

Obviously if you aren't into Zelda, it's a bummer. If you are into Zelda, this is exciting. They are having extensive demos (their own words here) and a FULL DAY of streaming the game. You simply aren't doing that if you plan to spoil the whole game - you're able to do that because the game is absolutely massive, where looking at it for even 14 hours only scratches the surface. This all but ensures this is the longest and largest Zelda game to date.

If you love Zelda and can attend E3, this is like a dream come true. You get an entire massive event dedicated to the game you want. This is unprecedented. No major publisher has ever done this before, and Zelda is the game getting this star treatment. Exciting.

But if Zelda isn't your thing, this kind of sucks. The only hope here is that the NX reveal is a home run with hardware and then a huge home run with the launch lineup and first year lineup. Not just Zelda, but 3D Mario, metroid, pikmin 4, animal crossing NX, massive third party support, etc.

Menitta

My one concern is that the fact that they aren't showing off any NX games. The console is supposed to launch in March. Would they really not have anything ready by June? Maybe all they have is ports.

SmithnCo

You dont have a PS4 or Xb1, specifically a PS4? I mean sure Nintendo has really sapped a lot of the hype for me, but I got a PS4. I'm looking forward to it even if I won't believe any of he release dates or release periods they announce lmfao.

I do have a PS4, but it's not the same when there's only one conference to really be excited about

While I am super excited for Zelda, I am just a bit disappointed that's all we'll see. I would have liked to see more announcements of games, and NX reveal (even though Nintendo has already said they'll reveal the specs before the end of the year). Hopefully the Zelda footage will be maybe the intro, and introduction of various characters. I'd rather not see Link riding around on Epona again.

Edit: also curious to see what the launch titles for NX will be. Rumors of porting top Wii U games sounds nice but I'd rather have all new games, like say Pikmin 4 that's supposed to be in development. If Zelda is the only launch title for NX I worry for the success of the NX. Both 3ds and Wii U had slow starts in terms of available library. I'd rather not buy the console at launch like I did both 3ds and Wii U and only have one or two games to play for months, and months.

Velcro Fly

Past few E3s have been awesome

Even if the Direct last year wasn't as great as other Directs.

Getting days of Treehouse showing off everything made it worth it.

Now we get one day and only one game.

Yeah I think people are disappointed. This seems like a gross overreaction after people were disappointed Zelda wasn't there at all last year.

Shhh gotta keep up the nintendoomed image. Remember e3 is the only way to show games and give info and things like other directs though out the year don't exist.

No one so far is skipping E3 though. Maybe Square Enix skips the conference. (EA is in a different building, which changes nothing for ordinary viewers).

ironcreed

Banned
I mean, it's one thing to correctly state that nintendo is boned this year.

But the other guys will have a lot of upgraded 2.0 console and/or pc footage as usual, and games that are like 4 years off (or in last years case, even crowd funded). Zelda is the only recent example of this out of Nintendo

LOL, they will be showing a hell of a lot more than games that are 4 years off. Last I checked, this year is pretty packed, as is it is every year. They always have plenty releasing AND plenty coming later.

Meanwhile, Nintendo has not shown me jack shit in over a year, as the Wii U has been on the way out. Seriously, why should I continue to bother to even worry about it when there is so much more that is actually going to be shown that is releasing soon? They are being left in the dust... again.

Even their release time frame for NX will be right after the holidays, after I have already spent a bunch on gifts and such. They have missed their window with me and I likely will not give a damn until maybe late next year or something. If even then.

pwack

Nowhere does this say "No Direct". Just says the Tuesday afternoon e3 starts with a live show. Directs/conferences were generally Tuesday AM.

TheJoRu

I was planning on going media blackout for Zelda. Now they're doing in-depth looks at E3 and unless I skip everything Nintendo-related this E3 that's all I can watch. Shit.

Obviously if you aren't into Zelda, it's a bummer. If you are into Zelda, this is exciting. They are having extensive demos (their own words here) and a FULL DAY of streaming the game. You simply aren't doing that if you plan to spoil the whole game - you're able to do that because the game is absolutely massive, where looking at it for even 14 hours only scratches the surface. This all but ensures this is the longest and largest Zelda game to date.

If you love Zelda and can attend E3, this is like a dream come true. You get an entire massive event dedicated to the game you want. This is unprecedented. No major publisher has ever done this before, and Zelda is the game getting this star treatment. Exciting.

But if Zelda isn't your thing, this kind of sucks. The only hope here is that the NX reveal is a home run with hardware and then a huge home run with the launch lineup and first year lineup. Not just Zelda, but 3D Mario, metroid, pikmin 4, animal crossing NX, massive third party support, etc.

As a Zelda fan, this is a bummer since they will be spoiling the hell out of the game.

Anyone who is actually saying that E3 does not matter is fooling themselves and not paying attention. E3 got 22 million views on Twitch alone. That is not including PSN, Live, or Youtube in the tally. E3 is a huge event covered by the press worldwide. It´s a great marketing strategy to be at E3 and show off your products, because you get a lot of free advertising. Not being at E3 is a huge mistake.

Anth0ny

Zelda really doesn't need to be like Dark Souls. For example, one of the main appeals of Zelda (and other Nintendo games) is the high level of polish. Meanwhile, From's janky as hell. One of the stats in Dark Souls 3 literally does nothing right now.

...But I would probably be less leery about buying Nintendo home consoles if they actually got Dark Souls.

Dark Souls may not have the level of polish of a Zelda game, but it also does some things better than Zelda has done in over 10 years. Atmosphere, exploration, sense of wonder, secrets... these are all things Zelda used to be the best in the business at. Now Dark Souls holds that title.

Not to mention Dark Souls' combat, difficulty and sheer number of cool collectables, which are three things Zelda never really went after (besides Zelda 2?) but nonetheless it could learn a thing or two from Dark Souls.

_PsiFire_

Not ready? The thing is coming out in less than a year. It makes no sense at all that they can't show it in some forms. Not even a controller or concept. It's very understandable for someone to think something might have gone very wrong with the NX development because that is the only logical explanation for its absence.
You're saying Nintendo CAN'T show the NX because they're not?? On what basis?

What if they DON'T want to show it. If what they show later this year is the joke then you have a point but until then just relax.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nowhere does this say "No Direct". Just says the Tuesday afternoon e3 starts with a live show. Directs/conferences were generally Tuesday AM.

True that.

Nintendo @ E3 starts at 9 a.m. PT on Tuesday, June 14.
Tune in starting at 9 a.m. PT for the world’s first in-depth look at the new Legend of Zelda game.

The day’s events will kick off with livestreamed gameplay and behind-the-scenes info from the game experts of Nintendo Treehouse—live and unscripted from the show floor.

Time zones.

georly

No one so far is skipping E3 though. Maybe Square Enix skips the conference. (EA is in a different building, which changes nothing for ordinary viewers).

Activision is out, as well, but they typically show COD/etc through sony/MS. No showfloor presence. EA is doing E3 adjacent.

Nintendo simply didn't have enough to show on time, and rather than rush and show SOMETHING, they're choosing to reveal NX on their own terms, either out of necessity or because they deem their reveal method to be more worthwhile than revealing what was ready at E3. Nintendo is seemingly 'out' of E3 more than the others - simply using it as one REALLY REALLY big zelda commercial. They probably debated internally, wanted out entirely, but I'm sure some marketing dude had the idea of making it a zelda commercial and that idea stuck.

Papacheeks

Banned
This is worrying. If the NX is launching less than a year from now, they better be name dropping more launch titles than just Zelda. This leads me to think that NX will release until the holidays

Holiday 2017 you mean?

Activision is out, as well, but they typically show COD/etc through sony/MS. No showfloor presence. EA is doing E3 adjacent.

Nintendo simply didn't have enough to show on time, and rather than rush and show SOMETHING, they're choosing to reveal NX on their own terms, either out of necessity or because they deem their reveal method to be more worthwhile than revealing what was ready at E3. Nintendo is seemingly 'out' of E3 more than the others - simply using it as one REALLY REALLY big zelda commercial.

Who said they had to reveal anything? All they need to do is fucking talk about it to the public to garner mindshare and get people outside of forums talking about it. ALl they had to do was show some slides with specs, maybe show the controller, and end it with a trailer of zelda running on NX or Dragon quest XI or something along those lines.

Thats it. They are showing that they are not ready as a company to properly have a new console.

Anyone who is actually saying that E3 does not matter is fooling themselves and not paying attention. E3 got 22 million views on Twitch alone. That is not including PSN, Live, or Youtube in the tally. E3 is a huge event covered by the press worldwide. It´s a great marketing strategy to be at E3 and show off your products, because you get a lot of free advertising. Not being at E3 is a huge mistake.

What if you don't have something that's ready to be shown in that exact week?

devonodev

Last year I said they showed nothing during their E3 Direct, of course they had spinoffs but nothing I liked or cared about.

This year there literally is nothing. Except Zelda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom