• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo eShop update officially released [New Update: Fixes Ridge Racer 3DS issue]

mAcOdIn

mrklaw said:
I bought a fair bit of DSiware content. Which I then lost because HMV offered a great trade-in deal for the 3DS and Nintendo don't have a basic fucking account based service so they all disappeared. I'm not rebuying anything out of principal.

It was difficult enough to find things on the DSiware store anyway. One day I decided to buy two games, both beginning with the letter 'S' (or something). couldn't search for them, had to browse by title. Can't skip round to Z and go backwards, so I scrolled - page by page - very slowly - all the way to 'S'. Saw both games. Bought the first one and the fucking shop drops you out, so to buy the very next game in the list took me twice as long. fuckwits.
Nintendo's shop is a textbook example of how not to design a fucking store, it really is an atrocious design, it's embarrassingly bad for 2011.

It's like the only fucking way to find anything that is not brand fucking new or the highest rated is by using the advanced search. It's fucking terrible.

Gillian Seed said:

Tennis GB has me thoroughly unexcited. Game & Watch Gallery would have been a better choice.

I don't get why Nintendo has done such a terribad job getting Game and Watch titles on the DS product line. Aren't they freaking PERFECT for the DS, with its two screens and many buttons? Even more so on 3DS where the screens are higher resolution and can therefore more closely match the originals?

And yet, many major Game and Watch classics remain unavailable. For example, will I never be able to play Super Mario Bros. G+W on a new piece of hardware?

I'm sick of playing it on this:

(Plus, my battery died.)

I used to have the original G&W unit, but I took it to school once and had to leave the classroom for something. The teacher told me I couldn't take it with me and put it in her desk. When I went to collect it from her at the end of the day, it was missing. A thorough sweep of the classroom turned up nothing. I've always assumed a jealous peer swiped it from the desk while no one was looking.

GeekyDad

From their press site:

"...Nintendo eShop - Tennis Nintendo DSiWare - Delbo, Pro Jumper! Guilty Gear Tangent!?, Stratego: Next Edition..."

That's it for DSi/3DS downloadables this week, as far as I can tell.

"Pro Jumper! Guilty Gear Tangent!? – Chimaki from Guilty Gear 2 stars in this quirky platformer. Make use of his run, jump and towel attacks to collect apples and successfully bypass the legions bent on his destruction. (For Nintendo 3DS™/Nintendo DSi™)"

Tennis is GB for $2.99
Delbo is $1.99 DSiWare that looks like Bust-a-Move

"Stratego: Next Edition – Demonstrate your strategic skills on the battlefield against opponents who will do everything in their power to outsmart you. Rise to the challenge and become the greatest general of all time. (For Nintendo 3DS/Nintendo DSi)"

Like the launch window of the system itself, seems like more yawn-worthy material for eShop.

Nintendo sucks at this stuff. I thought once the e-shop rolled out there'd be at least a few 3D classics or maybe some inventive 3DSWare. =(

Neuromancer said:
Nintendo sucks at this stuff. I thought once the e-shop rolled out there'd be at least a few 3D classics or maybe some inventive 3DSWare. =(

Nope, apparently they're relying upon a similar system of release as they used when the Wii launched--only a tiny trickle every week.

Deku

Banned
mAcOdIn said:
Nintendo's shop is a textbook example of how not to design a fucking store, it really is an atrocious design, it's embarrassingly bad for 2011.

It's like the only fucking way to find anything that is not brand fucking new or the highest rated is by using the advanced search. It's fucking terrible.

My biggest gripe with the DSi store was slow load times (seemingly web driven) and limited amount of titles shown on screen at once (2) and slow navigation (see my first point).

They've solved all that.

A lot of complaining I see are vague 'store sucks' things, but I don't see specific reasoning for it.

New titles are prominently displayed, it runs really fast, displays a lot more titles via scrolling and probably most importantly, the 'shelves' are rearranged with interesting catch all categories weekly to feature a lot of games -- currently primarily DSi.

To be fair, if they released a good gameboy title every week they'd run out of good ones in the first two weeks.

They've added racing and fighting game highlights to the euro shop.. I approve of genre sections and special highlight sections..

However... NOE... where are my fucking E3 trailers, you fucking cunts?

The bitching in this thread is nigh hilarious. Nintendo can't really every damn game you want in the first month, otherwise you've got five years of absolutely nothing to look to.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
AbsoluteZero said:
The bitching in this thread is nigh hilarious. Nintendo can't really every damn game you want in the first month, otherwise you've got five years of absolutely nothing to look to.

If the Wii VC was any different you'd have a point.

Lupin the Wolf said:
Nope, apparently they're relying upon a similar system of release as they used when the Wii launched--only a tiny trickle every week.
Wii gets a trickle now, but things were quite faster at launch. Taking a look at the NA list of VC games, there were 12 games available at launch, and 19 more by the end of 2006 six weeks later.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Wii gets a trickle now, but things were quite faster at launch. Taking a look at the NA list of VC games, there were 12 games available at launch, and 19 more by the end of 2006 six weeks later.

But that's also across, what, five platforms?

How many platforms are going to be showing up on the 3DS Virtual Console? 2, right? Game Boy/Color and Game Gear?

snesfreak

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
NO!
I demand every game I want be released IMMEDIATELY!
FUCK YOU NINTENDO!
*sells 3DS*

AbsoluteZero said:

How many platforms are going to be showing up on the 3DS Virtual Console? 2, right? Game Boy/Color and Game Gear?

Technically 3 from that list, but there's also TG-16 and Atari Lynx down the line.

Effect

New sections in the NA eShop today.

- 2-Player Simultaneous
- Quick Plays
- The Go Series
- Role Playing Games
- Simulation Games
- Rock the Beat
- Little Extras
- Puzzles, Puzzles, Puzzles
- Nintendo Power Editor Picks

These are replacing the new sections added last week. Wish they would make up their mind. I wonder if these will be changed every week.

Edit:

Hmm. I guess if they want to constantly bring new attention to games in the database this is going to be a normal thing. The changing of sections. A new section name would cause people to check it out instead of simply putting the new label on a menu that is the same week after week. I was wonder how they would make it easier to check out the big number of DSiWare games and this seems to be it. It works I think for the most part.

StevieP

Banned
Effect said:
New sections in the NA eShop today.

- 2-Player Simultaneous
- Quick Plays
- The Go Series
- Role Playing Games
- Simulation Games
- Rock the Beat
- Little Extras
- Puzzles, Puzzles, Puzzles
- Nintendo Power Editor Picks

These are replacing the new sections added last week. Wish they would make up their mind. I wonder if these will be changed every week.

Their shop is shit in almost every way. Why am I booted out after I download something. Why in the name of holy moses would I have to restart the system if there is a download or connection failure? It's worse than Windows XP ("install 300kb windows update, restart system")

AbsoluteZero said:

Kirbyguy said:
Technically 3 from that list, but there's also TG-16 and Atari Lynx down the line.
And really there's no doubt GBA will be there when they feel like it.

Made this image covering Wii's VC library growth in NA. Will probably make a version taking WiiWare into account later.
20110623wiivc.png

Futureman

3DS REALLY needs GBA on VC because there's really only 5 or so more GB/GBC games that will actually sale.

I never had Tennis for GB, but I did have Golf and loved that game. Probably wouldn't buy it though.

Should be cake. I imagine they just figure the GB/GBC games like Alleyway and Tennis will get a LOT less attention sitting beside GBA games.

Also, here's the version of my earlier image with WiiWare included. Very few Wii weeks haven't had 2+ downloadables of some kind, though it's more common this year.
20110623wiivcww.png

Ooh might we get Game & Watch Gallery in Europe next week?
I was going to buy all the G&W titles released as DSiWare last week but combined they're all way too expensive. Glad I never now!

Neuromancer said:

I'm surprised people are surprised. Nintendo has always been like this.

It was the exact same story with the Wii Shop Channel on the Wii. The good games were spaced out greatly over the past 5 years.

Even 5 years later they still haven't gotten Yoshi's Island up on that store.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Rush2thestart said:
You think they're just going to stop when Wii U comes out? They're going to stretch those VC titles as far as they can, even puttign some on Wii U.

Here's the deal, though--it's a horrible idea from a business standpoint.

The quicker you get these up on the shop, the more time people have to buy the games and the more reason people have to buy the 3DS, which is something the system is struggling with right now.

Boney

Banned
Sigh what a boring week.

So I'm thinming of getting either the Mario clock or the AC clock since I need an alarm in the morning and i'm getting sick of juggling my DSi just for this.

Which one do you guys recommend?

Effect

BruiserBear said:
I'm surprised people are surprised. Nintendo has always been like this.

It was the exact same story with the Wii Shop Channel on the Wii. The good games were spaced out greatly over the past 5 years.

Even 5 years later they still haven't gotten Yoshi's Island up on that store.

Yeah. Nintendo is slow in pretty much everything they do. That releases are slow isn't a surprise to be honest. Once the Wii Shop Channel was up it was the same way. On this front it's to be expected. There are other things higher up on the list I think people should be upset or annoyed with. The eShop so far, outside of the wait for it to go up has been a positive and they should get some credit for it. Though that's speaking as someone that has access to the NA eShop. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I was in Europe.

Just crazy that NoE can be doing so well when it comes to localizing Wii games but seemingly is horrible when it comes to their version of the eShop. On the flip side of things NoA has been good about their handling of the eShop but have been horrible in the Wii game localization department! NCL is the only aspect of Nintendo that seems to be run well.

iyox

Plinko said:
Here's the deal, though--it's a horrible idea from a business standpoint.

The quicker you get these up on the shop, the more time people have to buy the games and the more reason people have to buy the 3DS, which is something the system is struggling with right now.

Nintendo seems to favor a different release model. Rather than filling the store with content right away, they tend to single out a single title for release to maximize its release weeks sales. Right or wrong that's what they have been doing and will probably continue to do. I would personally like to see a base release of 10 games or so with 2-3 coming out each week. That's probably not realistic considering Tennis was the sole VC release this week. Maybe they will surprise us and start flooding the eShop™ with content.

CKD5989

Really, you could do a lot worse than Tennis. Played that game to death back in the day. Just hope it's as fun as I remember.

GeekyDad

AbsoluteZero said:

Are you suggesting that between both GB and GBC there isn't enough good content to put out one worthy game a week? Between Nintendo and third parties? We're also talking about essentially four categories now just for eShop: 3DSWare, 3D Classics, DSiWare, and VC. So, I don't think it's merely disappointment with VC you're reading.

GeekyDad said:
Are you suggesting that between both GB and GBC there isn't enough good content to put out one worthy game a week? Between Nintendo and third parties? We're also talking about essentially four categories now just for eShop: 3DSWare, 3D Classics, DSiWare, and VC. So, I don't think it's merely disappointment with VC you're reading.

Let's figure the 3DS will be on the marketplace for the six-year span that the DS line of hardware managed before a new generation of hardware was released.

Do you think there's 312 "worthy" Game Boy/Color games?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AbsoluteZero said:
Let's figure the 3DS will be on the marketplace for the six-year span that the DS line of hardware managed before a new generation of hardware was released.

This reflects the attitude that the releases should be spread over the entire life of the hardware, rather than released as soon as possible. They can always add more platforms later, and 3DSWare support is certain to uptick, but the dearth of content that exists now hurts them now.

angelfly

AbsoluteZero said:

GB and GBC aren't the only systems that games are going to get released for. Don't forget TG16 and GG. Also knowing Nintendo GBA along with other systems will find their way as well. So there's definitely room to release more.

Stumpokapow said:
This reflects the attitude that the releases should be spread over the entire life of the hardware, rather than released as soon as possible. They can always add more platforms later, and 3DSWare support is certain to uptick, but the dearth of content that exists now hurts them now.

I agree, to be honest. It sucks that the selection is so lean now but at the same time I want to have stuff to look forward to for a long time to come.

Effect said:
Yeah. Nintendo is slow in pretty much everything they do. That releases are slow isn't a surprise to be honest. Once the Wii Shop Channel was up it was the same way. On this front it's to be expected.
I'm not a dump-everything-at-once proponent, but this is absolutely slower. Wii had 12 Virtual Console games at launch in NA. 6 WiiWare games when that launched. A lifetime average of 3 downloadable games each week.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
AbsoluteZero said:

They should dig into other console libraries.

The fact of the matter is, they are trying to sell the 3DS right now. It seems to me that it would do more harm to content starve the platform while it's growing.

Deku said:
A lot of complaining I see are vague 'store sucks' things, but I don't see specific reasoning for it. New titles are prominently displayed, it runs really fast, displays a lot more titles via scrolling and probably most importantly, the 'shelves' are rearranged with interesting catch all categories weekly to feature a lot of games -- currently primarily DSi.
you don't see specific reasons? have you looked at the store at all? I really don't believe you if you say you have. the main menu is a random mess of folders ads and new releases. the dsiware stuff is.. scattered around everywhere. and they don't write down the changes and where what they do with dsiware stuff in the change docs each week. some dsiware stuff that was available last week is no longer anywhere to be found from what I can tell and random other stuff has taken its place. in addition two game genre folders have been added to the main shop row (I have no idea what was changed in the american store this week of course). but why would these make sense when the rest of the store doesn't, of course they don't. inside each is a random group of dsiware games, ads for retail 3ds games and 3ds downloads. of course.

if you have to click on every single thing and look inside all folders to find what has been changed and added each week THAT IS NOT A GOOD SYSTEM. SEEMS OBVIOUS.

all I can think to explain how it is set up is that the idiots updating it are extreme users of post-it notes. that's what the store is like. there is no system.

CKD5989 said:
Really, you could do a lot worse than Tennis. Played that game to death back in the day. Just hope it's as fun as I remember.
it's still pretty good. better than alleyway at least. hehehe

MooMoo

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now, only because launch linupes are usually slow and uninteresting. But if this shit doesn't pick up in 1-2 months I will rage with the rage of a thousand sun gods. Also, I think the anger is justified. We're only getting 1-2 new releases per week which is wayyy too little. And no, DSiWare doesn't count as new releases for the 3DS eShop simply because the VC is a totally different beast and therefore deserves total, undivided attention. But honestly, it should be easy for Nintendo to strike gold with many people's hearts. It's just a matter of when they want to pull out the big guns. Like I can imagine them forestalling the release of the old Mario games to right before the Mario 3DS game releases. It's a painful wait though considering the 3DS has been out for months, has had arguable success/games, and the eShop has only been out for 2.5 weeks which is an extremely short amount of time considering we only get one update a week.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
VC-wise, I'd like to see at least 2 releases - a game that is generally considered to be "good" and a "minor" game. With just GB, GBC and GG you are gonna run out of "good" titles pretty quick though.

Virtual Boy games are really a must to add - it would be silly not to. But again, it's a very small library.

NGP(C) has a great, but quite small library.

TGE is also pretty small if you stick to western releases; but there's quite a few good shmups that don't need any localization (eg Final Soldier, Soldier Blade).

GBA is a treasure trove though - quality AND quantity.

And personally I'd also love to see games from 8- and 16-bit consoles. The 3DS should have absolutely no problem emulating those.

I'm definitely not expecting more than a handful of 3D Classic titles - these require some work to make. I think we'd be super lucky to get 1 a month.

3DSWare is a bit of a question mark to me. How many 3DSWare titles have been announced?

Top Bottom