• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo eShop update officially released [New Update: Fixes Ridge Racer 3DS issue]

beje

Banned
I really can dig the choice for random categories for each week. In Europe, they're just "Fighting" and "Racing" which show games from DSiWare, 3DSWare (only Excitebike so far) and retail. I think it's a good way of showing old games people might have overlooked. The DSi Showcase section changed most games as well. Anyway, I think they should upgrade such things every two or three days instead of just weekly like the new games.

By the way, we got Radar Mission and Double Dragon here plus their respective gameplay trailers, both at 3€ a pop.

heringer

Bought that Soul of Darkness game. It's a total Castlevania rip-off, but it's well made and fun. For 5 bucks, it's definitely worth it. Not the real deal, but it helps to alleviate the wait for a real 3DS Castlevania (where are you Iga??).

Boney said:
Sigh what a boring week.

So I'm thinming of getting either the Mario clock or the AC clock since I need an alarm in the morning and i'm getting sick of juggling my DSi just for this.

Which one do you guys recommend?

Don't you have a cellphone? Everybody has a cellphone, and every cellphone has an alarm clock.

Right now, considering that within two weeks Nintendo released a 3D Classics game for free (for now), Pokedex 3D for free, Super Mario Land, Legend of Zelda: LADX, and Donkey Kong, I'd say they have done a decent job.

Remember that DSiWare games probably count for Nintendo has games coming to eShop. Last week 4 DSiWare games came alongside Donkey Kong '94. This week doesn't match in size, but I think Nintendo wants the current lineup of big VC games to stew a little bit longer.

I never played DSiWare games before, so I have a massive backlog. Right now, I don't see anything too bad from the output, although the screenshots and videos need to be more organized.

Boney

Banned
Naked Snake said:
Don't you have a cellphone? Everybody has a cellphone, and every cellphone has an alarm clock.
Got a piece of crap that I don't think has the juice to wake me up, plus it's without battery most of the times.

But yeah, think I'd rather just get an alarm clock, fuck this shit no having a wake up thingy is fucking unforgivable.

RaidenZR

Wow, people are so quick to dismiss the GB library. You guys are really just writing it off in haste because it looks or seems ancient. There are a number of legitimately good and solid titles on those platforms that are worth a look if we are given the option via the eShop. There are a few threads devoted to GB gems so people need to do a search, but here's some original GB games I'd love to see pop up on the store:

Kid Dracula
Kirby's Dreamland
Mario's Pircross
Mole Mania
Castlevania 2 Belmont's Revenge
Ninja Gaiden Shadow
Operation C
Final Fantasy Adventure
Revenge of the Gator
Sunsoft's Batman
Kirby's Pinball
Mega Man 4, 5
Wario Land 1, 2
Super Mario Land 2

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I really think you folks are being ... odd... when it comes to complaining about new releases.

The eShop got four new games this week. It's gotten at least four new titles each week. I don't see why you're making a distinction between DSiWare and 3DS software, really -- I mean, yes, from a TECHNICAL viewpoint there are major differences, but the 3DS is getting four new titles per week. As the 3DS builds userbase and design "base", we'll start seeing a shift from DSiWare to 3DS software.

If we were seeing 1-2 titles per week total, I'd get the complaints, but right now the 3DS seems to be getting a decent supply of new software each week.

Not the best update this week, but I can't complain with the two best Game Boy games ever released right out of the gate. Link's Awakening and Ocarina Of Time will hold me over for the summer, barring any surprise eShop releases.

tearsofash

DavidDayton said:
The eShop got four new games this week. It's gotten at least four new titles each week. I don't see why you're making a distinction between DSiWare and 3DS software

I want new software designed for this new system just bought. DSiWare, frankly is just software for a system I just got rid of. Just because the 3DS is backwards compatible with DSi doesn't mean that it's the same software library and I should be happy getting DSiware. Yes, we are getting content to play. We aren't getting a ton of 3DS games though.

I consider it a new system. It has its own line of software, and releasing DSiware isn't going to cut it.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I actually like the changing categories, I just wish I could change the number of rows like you can on the home menu. I hate scrolling through one long line of items. The home menu has it! Be consistent. Also I wish they'd hurry up with netflix. I loathe the word "soon." Soon is too vague and gives too much hope. Bastards.

xSL4INx

Given the Game Boy's massive library, I really want to see Dragon Warrior Monsters and Mega Man Xtreme 1 & 2 appear on the virtual console at some point.

When you transfer DSi games to the 3DS can you do them one at a time? I ask because there are some games I don't mind transferring over, but others that I don't want to lose the save for so I would like to hold off on transferring those until good Nintendo allows us to transfer saves over

MooMoo

perfectchaos007 said:
When you transfer DSi games to the 3DS can you do them one at a time? I ask because there are some games I don't mind transferring over, but others that I don't want to lose the save for so I would like to hold off on transferring those until good Nintendo allows us to transfer saves over
Yes, it is possible to do a selective transfer. However, I have the feeling that you will never be able to transfer saves over from DSi to 3DS.

perfectchaos007 said:
I haven't done any transferring because I like playing the few DSi games I do have on my XL, but I'm pretty sure you can move individual titles over. In fact, I'm almost positive you can.

watershed

Banned
Looks like some new content has been added to the "now available at retail" section. Good thing is the new titles include a video for each. I hope this will become standard from now on as its quite stupid that games don't have trailers or vids available, just 3 (usually crappy) screenshots.

MooMoo said:
Yes, it is possible to do a selective transfer. However, I have the feeling that you will never be able to transfer saves over from DSi to 3DS.

cool thanks

Do you think its impossible to transfer saves or is Nintendo just being lazy?

MooMoo

perfectchaos007 said:
Do you think its impossible to transfer saves or is Nintendo just being lazy?
Someone else should probably respond to this, but I think it's more of Nintendo being lazy. I think there's a post around here saying the reason why saves aren't transferred over has to do with the way the DSi handled DSiWare saves/how these saves interacted with the security features (RE: anti-piracy features) of the DSi. So while in a perfect world I think it's more than possible for saves to be transferred, it's just something I don't actually expect from Nintendo.

I'm kind of torn about transferring Shantae from my DSi XL to the 3DS, I'll miss the big sexy screens but I like having all my stuff on one system.

I'm very pleased with DK '94, it's a fantastic game. Can't wait for the Wario Land games to come out on the service, especially 2 and 3.

watershed

Banned
Has anybody watched the video in the eshop under the Zelda OoT retail listing? My eyes are kinda messing with me, I can't tell if the trailer is streaming 3d or if my eyes are just seeing the "3d effect" form playing too much OoT3D today.

MooMoo said:
Someone else should probably respond to this, but I think it's more of Nintendo being lazy. I think there's a post around here saying the reason why saves aren't transferred over has to do with the way the DSi handled DSiWare saves/how these saves interacted with the security features (RE: anti-piracy features) of the DSi. So while in a perfect world I think it's more than possible for saves to be transferred, it's just something I don't actually expect from Nintendo.

well that really sucks. I hope Nintendo figures it out soon because I'm going to want to transfer my VC/WiiWare games AND saves over to the WiiU.

artwalknoon said:
Has anybody watched the video in the eshop under the Zelda OoT retail listing? My eyes are kinda messing with me, I can't tell if the trailer is streaming 3d or if my eyes are just seeing the "3d effect" form playing too much OoT3D today.

I wish I could tell you. I'm trying to stream the videos off my 3DS but they just buffer for way too long. I'm watching 3 seconds of content for every minute of buffering and the internet connection on my 3DS says its at full strength ( 3 bars )

artwalknoon said:
Just checked it out. It's definitely streaming a 3D video, but the sweet spot for the viewing angle seems to be ultra sensitive. It does work, though.

Morokh

RaidenZR said:
Wow, people are so quick to dismiss the GB library.

I still got most of my physical GB library, thank you.

And in the end I did not buy a 3DS to play GB games, but games made for the system itself, so excuse me if like many others there I'm disappointed / pissed over the poor support in terms of games.

watershed

Banned
DidntKnowJack said:
Just checked it out. It's definitely streaming a 3D video, but the sweet spot for the viewing angle seems to be ultra sensitive. It does work, though.
Wow, is this the first streaming 3d video for NA eshop then? Too bad the video and audio quality suck. The sound is gawd awful.

Galactic Fork

artwalknoon said:
Wow, is this the first streaming 3d video for NA eshop then? Too bad the video and audio quality suck. The sound is gawd awful.

Huh, Steel Diver's video is 3d too. As is Nintendogs and Pilotwings resort. So only the Nintendo published games have 3d trailers. Nice. Plus the Pilotwings video is horrible. The actual game 3d looks about 87% better than the trailer's.

They've also removed the downloadable vids they used to have. I grabbed the Zelda and Green Lantern (film) trailers when they were available, but I don't see them up there now. Just the streaming ones. Weird.

Poyunch

I've got the Kid Icarus and Mario trailer still downloaded. I will never delete them now. Wish I kept the Luigi's Mansion trailer. :/

Galactic Fork

PounchEnvy said:
I've got the Kid Icarus and Mario trailer still downloaded. I will never delete them now. Wish I kept the Luigi's Mansion trailer. :/

Can you send things to each other? I have the luigi's Mansion video, but not the Mario one.

Poyunch

Galactic Fork said:
Can you send things to each other? I have the luigi's Mansion video, but not the Mario one.
I wish. That would have been a neat feature.

DidntKnowJack said:
Sorry, the downloadable ones are still there in the "Games shown at E3" menu. My bad. For some reason I just missed them before.
Oh haha.

Kerrby

Banned
Can someone please answer my dumb question.

When the 3DS was unveiled, I read Nintendo said there would be a 3DS Store where you can buy older games with 3D updates.

What happened to this?

SmithnCo

Kerrby said:

When the 3DS was unveiled, I read Nintendo said there would be a 3DS Store where you can buy older games with 3D updates.

What happened to this?

3D Classics? Excitebike is the only one available now.

Gravijah

Kerrby said:

What happened to this?

I don't think Nintendo has said much since then, but we did receive Excitebike...

Poyunch

Kerrby said:

What happened to this?
It's called 3D Classics and there's currently only Excitebike. It makes sense that Nintendo's come short on their online shop.

It's just Excitebike. In 3D.

I know that sounds glib, but that's exactly what it is. The old NES game, but with depth of field. It plays exactly the same.

Boney said:
Sigh what a boring week.

So I'm thinming of getting either the Mario clock or the AC clock since I need an alarm in the morning and i'm getting sick of juggling my DSi just for this.

Mario Clock, it has the POW block on classic SMB gameplay! (auto-scrolling unfortunately though)
Doesn't the 3DS have an alarm function like the DSi? Wow.

Poyunch

DidntKnowJack said:

I know that sounds glib, but that's exactly what it is. The old NES game, but with depth of field. It plays exactly the same.
Yeah played a ton of it in Animal Crossing but I barely touched it this time. The neat thing about the game is how the depth of field thing works when you mess around with the slider.

It goes from 2D to 3D and everything in between. Also the volume is freaking loud on the menu screen. Jeez.

DidntKnowJack said:

I wish the subtle 3D adjustments you can do with the intensity in Excitebike were mandatory for every game, as its the difference between a good 3D effect and a great one.

mutsu

PounchEnvy said:
Yeah played a ton of it in Animal Crossing but I barely touched it this time. The neat thing about the game is how the depth of field thing works when you mess around with the slider.

It goes from 2D to 3D and everything in between. Also the volume is freaking loud on the menu screen. Jeez.

But that music...! Classic!!

m.i.s.

Banned
Morokh said:
I still got most of my physical GB library, thank you.

And in the end I did not buy a 3DS to play GB games, but games made for the system itself, so excuse me if like many others there I'm disappointed / pissed over the poor support in terms of games.

^^This.

I went back to play a "borrowed" Super Mario Land 2 - borderline unplayable despite being a conceptually sound game with good art assets and a cool soundtrack.

And you just know that 3D classics like Yoshi's Island and Super Mario Bros are coming after they've released all the fluff. I mean, heavens forbid, that Nintendo should actually you know, give something back to it's most loyal fans, most of whom would buy everything anyway.

BooJoh

Allan Holdsworth said:
Has this been mentioned here?
Mighty Switch Force by Wayforward for 3DSWare
http://nintendocharged.com/2011/06/24/mighty-switch-force-coming-to-the-3ds-eshop/
My interest has been piqued.

Boney said:
Sigh what a boring week.

I don't know how the Mario clock alarms are but I use the AC clock on my DSi as an alarm. I use the regular town song as the main alarm and then set the blaring Resetti theme for 5 minutes later just in case. I did a review of its functions and stuff on youtube if you want to hear the alarms and stuff, just search Animal Crossing Clock.

Bear in mind though, since they're DS software your 3DS won't recieve SpotPass updates while the alarm is active, even in sleep mode. For that reason you might want to wait for a 3DS-specific alarm app.

SmithnCo said:
3D Classics? Excitebike is the only one available now.

Hey if you have a jp 3ds you get Xevious, not to mention with the addition of 2 more this Thursday, over 10 different 3d eshop apps!

Some of these eshop games are even made by American companies. no clue why there is no love for the american eshop

perfectchaos007 said:
well that really sucks. I hope Nintendo figures it out soon because I'm going to want to transfer my VC/WiiWare games AND saves over to the WiiU.
That shouldn't be much trouble. The weird thing with DSi games is that the game and the save are put in the same file. VC/WiiWare games act just like disc games, and have a separate save file you can back up to SD card, or download an advanced save from the Internet (if you don't mind overwriting your own), or whatever.

Top Bottom