• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Illustrations to Highlight The Wii U Difference (JP)

Replicant

Kamiya is bitter (rightfully):

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/443939557508001792

"Of course TW101 is nowhere to be seen on the "what you can do with Wii U" page *smiles*"

otKhH6l.png

Tookay

I'm happy that Nintendo is rediscovering 2D Mario art.

Wish we got a game in this style.

Would be better than the NSMB aesthetic by a long-shot.

Onesimos

The 2D art was used in Super Mario 3D World for the playable characters. I just like it compared to the 3D art that looks plastic.

I'm happy that Nintendo is rediscovering 2D Mario art.

Wish we got a game in this style.

Would be better than the NSMB aesthetic by a long-shot.

Isn't the whole Paper Mario series a simplified version of exactly this happening? The GameCube/Wii WarioWare games' before-rounds sequences are in this style too, but the animation is very limited Flash-esque vector madness, a lot of the time.

That said, I badly want a traditional 2D Mario game in this style. Or remakes of the NES/SNES Mario games that use the same engines, but this art.

Tookay

Isn't the whole Paper Mario series a simplified version of exactly this happening? The GameCube/Wii WarioWare games' before-rounds sequences are in this style too, but the animation is very limited Flash-esque vector madness, a lot of the time.

That said, I badly want a traditional 2D Mario game in this style. Or remakes of the NES/SNES Mario games that use the same engines, but this art.

The Paper Mario and WarioWare style is close to this, but it's always so limited in animation.

I'd love to see this fluidly animated and realized in a traditional 2D Mario too.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
In the days of ugly CG renders, those illustrations are a welcome relief. I loved them in 3D World. It probably would have pushed me to getting a physical copy if the boxart was stylized similarly.

EDIT: Wait, why didn't they use blue Toad? :(

The Paper Mario and WarioWare style is close to this, but it's always so limited in animation.

I'd love to see this fluidly animated and realized in a traditional 2D Mario too.

Not that this isn't also an issue with the 3D graphics, but there seems to be some sort of manpower bottleneck with Nintendo doing full animation using their standard 2D character models. I don't know if it's still actually Kotabe doing all of these for Nintendo, but he's a 77 year old man now. While his background prior to Nintendo was in animation (Toei), all of the games that they've made with his art [or art style?] in recent years have simplified something in the animation. The WarioWare games mostly seem to have the characters jumping from keyframe to keyframe with a little bit of vector stretching/squashing in between, and the Paper Mario games, aside from simplifying the designs, do things like making Mario's arms and feet separate objects that can just be animated by rotating them. The one recent game that I can think of where they used fully, richly animated 2-D sprites was Wario Land: Shake It!, and Nintendo outsourced the character animation for that one to Production I.G, resulting in a slightly different art style.

A tidbid from Wario Land: Shake It's Wiki page probably explains a lot of the rationale of all of this, given Nintendo's predisposition to endlessly tweak its games to perfection:
Tsukawaki was initially opposed to the idea since future changes to a character's design meant changes to all of its individual animation frames. Over 2,000 frames were drawn to animate over 200 actions for Wario alone; over 6,000 frames were drawn for all enemy characters, including those that were removed from the final game

I'd be surprised if Kotabe hasn't been grooming replacements to draw promo art in that style for Nintendo, if the replacements aren't already doing all of that promo art already. You would think that Nintendo could probably find and train enough animators to fully animate a 2D game like this, but given that the general consumer demand and expectation is for 3D-animated characters, that with 3D, Nintendo doesn't really need to continually redraw the character from scratch in every frame, just tweak the poses, saving resources, and the fact that grooming a bunch of 2D animators might ultimately just be for one or two niche products, Nintendo is probably being conservatively Nintendo about sticking their neck out on the resources for that sort of thing.

God, just a Mario 3 remake with art like the instruction manual would be amazing, though.

Wiz

They've actually been using the classic art style again ever since Super Mario 3D Land...

Nintendo-3DS-Super-Mario-3D-Land-Screenshots-101.jpg

But I agree they should use it more often, it represents Mario and friends PERFECTLY.

Azure J

This art never gets old for me. Half the reason I pined for Super Mario Allstars as a kid was just because of the art on the box cover.

That being said, GAF has already amazed me with the photoshops. Please continue. :lol

mantidor

Sigh.

The title of the page these are from is 'What You Can Do With Wii U', with the subtitle 'Apart from the games, here's the other things you can do with Wii U.' There's nothing about 'highlight the Wii U difference' in Japanese. Of course some people would get their thongs twisted over nothing.

Facts!? in a Nintendo thread? you should be rightfully offended by the lack of games in these pictures about a console you have no interest in.

The nerve.

The off-screen play and streaming shows I can understand, but these two:

original.jpg

original.jpg

Really seem like they're reaching for excuses

They should have illustrations showing asynchronous multiplayer, touch screen gaming, internet (tablet) browsing, and how the Gamepad's features can be used for different gaming experiences (like holding it up to use as a scope or x-ray vision).

Mr-Joker

Banned
Reminds me of this old gem:

080211.jpg

Why would Cooking Mama be pitching to Miyamoto when Nintendo doesn't owns the IP or publish the game?

Pretty poor research to make a lame domestic violence joke.

Kamiya is bitter (rightfully):

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/443939557508001792

"Of course TW101 is nowhere to be seen on the "what you can do with Wii U" page *smiles*..."

He's being bitter over nothing as none of the other Wii U games are on there, hell it's just Mario character using the Wii U.

Facts!? in a Nintendo thread? you should be rightfully offended by the lack of games in these pictures about a console you have no interest in.

The nerve.

It certain feels like some people are treating this as the only web page about the features of the Wii U Nintendo operates, and not one of several.

They should have illustrations showing asynchronous multiplayer, touch screen gaming, internet (tablet) browsing, and how the Gamepad's features can be used for different gaming experiences (like holding it up to use as a scope or x-ray vision).

You mean, something like this other official page about the Wii U?

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/hardware/features/index.html

He's being bitter over nothing as none of the other Wii U games are on there, hell it's just Mario character using the Wii U.

The bottom of the page advertises some games.

Let's have a contest to see who can get the most offended in this thread! Extra points if you take someone's sarcastic offense seriously and then get upset by it.

Raitaro

They've actually been using the classic art style again ever since Super Mario 3D Land...

Nintendo-3DS-Super-Mario-3D-Land-Screenshots-101.jpg

But I agree they should use it more often, it represents Mario and friends PERFECTLY.

Yes, they should (although I can already hear the the naysayers that will probably see this as a sign that Nintendo is diving even deeper into its own navel by going for nostalgic drawings...).

Even better: why not a Mario game that tries to approach this drawing style for its in-game graphics? I'd love that very much.

Mael

The off-screen play and streaming shows I can understand, but these two:

original.jpg

Really seem like they're reaching for excuses

Are you joking? We do this all the time!
Perfect to go on cooking sites and everything.
And really there's no fucking way I'm putting my SP2 in the kitchen for that.
e: We don't use the main tv, that's just silly.

phanphare

Banned
that's right! Mario gets to sit in the recliner. #alpha4life

who has a TV in their kitchen

why would you use the gamepad to look for cooking recipes over a tablet or phone or laptop

so you can use the stylus and not get your tablet, phone, or laptop all dirty from using it while you're cooking

who has a TV in their kitchen

why would you use the gamepad to look for cooking recipes over a tablet or phone or laptop
Easier to read from a distance on TV. The Wii u formats very well to TV. Literally the best web viewing experience on TV... Downsides are speed and plugin support.

Phones and tablets are built to be held closely and are very delicate devices.

The gamepad is ridiculously durable. I think its the only reason Nintendo are sticking to plastic touchscreens. I've never seen a cracked screen on DS or WiiU.

Seen loads of tablets and phones with cracked screens.

And finally in Europe/Japan it us not uncommon to have your living room also be your kitchen.

Peach is definitely a sexist portrayal of women and she always has been, just like most fictional princesses. However, it's become such a running gag how helpless she is, that she's almost a parody that mocks sexism, if that makes any sense. I don't think she's having a negative influence on young girls in the same way that characters like Snow White and Cinderella do at least. She's about as harmful as the racial stereotypes in Punch-Out!! games are. They are so over the top, that nobody is really taking them seriously.

phanphare

Banned
Easier to read from a distance on TV. The Wii u formats very well to TV. Literally the best web viewing experience on TV... Downsides are speed and plugin support.

Phones and tablets are built to be held closely and are very delicate devices.

The gamepad is ridiculously durable. I think its the only reason Nintendo are sticking to plastic touchscreens. I've never seen a cracked screen on DS or WiiU.

Seen loads of tablets and phones with cracked screens.

And finally in Europe/Japan it us not uncommon to have your living room also be your kitchen.

also the accuracy of resistive touch screens. see art academy and miiverse drawings

Top Bottom