• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: new Super Mario for Wii U, Reveal at E3 [Update: Based On E3 2011 Game]

This is something you expect from a small, incredibly lazy and untalented developer with scarce resources:
2114464_med.png

ZhljV.gif

Beth Cyra

Even Kirby's Epic Yarn, for all its snooze fest gameplay, has an incredible art direction.

Basically all of Nintendo's current 2D platformers have excellent art. Except fucking Super Mario Bros.

Given how well both games performed is there serious reason to believe they think the style to be bad? Or that it needs to be changed?

I mean, I don't really see it brought up in interviews with the Nintendo and nothing said in Iwata Asks makes me think they view the current style as bad.

Kamek

Damnit.

I was hoping that New SMB Mii was just a tech demo or something. I don't really see how this couldn't have been done on Wii (based on what we've seen so far) aside from tunnel sequences or something on a lower screen. I wanted something colorful and more "Mario feeling" than New SMB. I would have loved something with a Mario World esque feeling DKCR style or Cel shaded but alas :(

Amir0x

Banned
Even Kirby's Epic Yarn, for all its snooze fest gameplay, has an incredible art direction.

Basically all of Nintendo's current 2D platformers have excellent art. Except fucking Super Mario Bros.

Yeah Epic Yarn looks amazing, no doubt.

Maybe Nintendo expelled so much mystical energy getting Galaxy to look right and amazing that they had no energy left for 2D Mario?

TruePrime said:
I mean, I don't really see it brought up in interviews with the Nintendo and nothing said in Iwata Asks makes me think they view the current style as bad.

I guess this is sort of like the HD question. Given the success of Wii, did they really need HD? Of course they did, the system was a disaster because it couldn't compete with its competitors from a power perspective. If it's -only- about sales success, then obviously selling well is the metric by which all debates would begin and end. But it's really about the self-evident laziness of the art direction, which whether the game sells or not is just...bad.

StevieP

Banned
Why does this look exactly like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, except with Miis as the characters?

Because that's exactly what it was. It was just some stupid E3 proof-of-concept made using Wii assets, like many of their other rushed Wii U demos (even the fucking Zelda demo reused Twilight Princess assets). GAF is so messed up and reactionary sometimes. Personally, I would say that most of the non-GAF world would play with their own Mii than 2 different coloured toads regardless.

TriGen

Yep, I don't understand why Nintendo a company that bases it's visuals off of art-style would make a Mario game so bland. They obviously no how to make a platformer pretty, so why not do it with your 2D Mario?

This is something you expect from a small, incredibly lazy and untalented developer with scarce resources:
2114464_med.png

When it's Nintendo we're talking about, you expect something closer to this:
Of course, nintendo does plenty of visually stunning and strong gameplay advancements. Nsmb is bland, bleach washed stuff intended for casual consumption. I don't see it as cheap so much as its intentional and if anyone thinks wii fit or wii sports resort was a cheap cash in then they are delusional.
My commentary is on Mii's. My feeling is it's in all likelihood a cheap low-effort shit because that was the general standard for any Wii game with Mii's in it and on top of that this is probably going to be a launch window game, in my opinion. So you combine the two and you get what I feel is a fairly good prediction, judging by game launch history. I'm not a big fan of NSMB Wii either, so that doesn't inspire much hope.

I'm being only what I really feel. Mii's are garbage
See if I saw this post I wouldn't question it. That's fine, I see the logic and I agree to an extent. Its over the top stuff such as whoring, ten men teaam and a dozen chicken nugget comments that are obnoxious that makes it hard to take your opinion seriously which undermines a good comment/post. Jmo of course.

Epic Yarn is still so incredible to look at. I usually can't stand games with so little challenge but I had to unlock every level just to see all the amazing.

I'm still trying to understand what Nintendo is trying to convey with the NSMB artstyle, aside from "budget title", because they're clearly capable of so much more :'(

WillyFive

Since this game may actually be in our future, might as well re-post the screens from E3 2011 for a refresher:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

The art style has never bothered me. It was good-looking, clean, and inoffensive. However, nothing can defend the low poly counts and lack of anti-aliasing.

I'm not sure why everyone is freaking out, odds are NSMBWU will be a brand new game and not just an HD port with Miis added. The footage showed at E3 2011 showed levels not in the Wii or 3DS game.

I don't think anyone expects this to be a HD port; it would be fucking extortion if it were.

We're simply objecting to the big new Super Mario game for the brand new HD console using an uprezzed version of what was already a hideously bland artstyle.

Maxrunner

Oh I know why it is. Nintendo is nothing if not completely shameless when it comes to obtaining money, whatever the cheapest way possible to said money may be.

And it's not even the idea of Mario Mii's itself. Mario is always whored, and low-effort shit is par the course for launch windows. This is easy shit that Nintendo can put ten guys on and have the entire Nintendo community slogging it off and calling it a masterpiece for the cost of a dozen chicken nuggets. They know how to manipulate their fans. Chris Kohler is already writing three articles about the groundbreaking nature of this paradigm shift.

But man, it's bad enough I had to spend an entire generation looking at the hideous Mii's. Now they will follow for another generation, with every developer painfully shoehorning them in as that 'extra character' instead of, I don't know, designing an extra character with some real personality. I mean, shit, Mii's are so fucking lazy that all they really are is a head, not that this is particularly enlightening commentary. You're just really designing your head, because the body is mass producted two color shite that only Nintendo could love. Nintendo doesn't just cut corners in hardware, they cut corners in art design too. I kinda feel that when I see a Mii, it's also code for "this game is almost certain to be a shallow mini-game compilation of some sort mass produced for the casualtard set." Naturally there are exceptions, but not many.

I find the miis trashing quite hilarious. I mean do you even know when the wii was launched. Also dont forget the pathetic copy attempt from Ms

Beth Cyra

Maybe Nintendo expelled so much mystical energy getting Galaxy to look right and amazing that they had no energy left for 2D Mario?

I guess this is sort of like the HD question. Given the success of Wii, did they really need HD? Of course they did, the system was a disaster because it couldn't compete with its competitors from a power perspective. If it's -only- about sales success, then obviously selling well is the metric by which all debates would begin and end. But it's really about the self-evident laziness of the art direction, which whether the game sells or not is just...bad.

This is nothing like the HD question at all.

The need for HD clear at this point. A style choice though isn't nearly as cut and dry. Even more so when games that we can all agree look much better performed far, far worse then the style they choose to go with for the NEW games.

Nintendo has gone down so weird paths, and all I'm saying is at this point they may very well think on the the reasons NEW did well is because simplistic art was inviting to casual gamers, well casual Mario gamer, not the Wii Fit/Mario Party 9 gamer.

LMAO if it doesnt have online multiplayer.

Oh yeah, there's no excuses any more. I honestly don't think it'd be that great, it's the kind of game where real world violence makes it that much better (you fuck me over in the game, I throw you off the sofa), but options damn it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Someone refresh my memory: what was the NSMB Wii U gimmick? Other than, you know, being a carbon copy of NSMB Wii with Mii's thrown in for the hell of it.

TriGen

LMAO if it doesnt have online multiplayer.

That's what I was wondering about, will this game be Nintendo's attempt to show some online multi-player platforming at launch? So instead of putting a ton of effort into a grand game they just want a Mario game that can show off some online action.

StevieP

Banned
Oh yeah, there's no excuses any more. I honestly don't think it'd be that great, it's the kind of game where real world violence makes it that much better (you fuck me over in the game, I throw you off the sofa), but options damn it.

I'm about to sound really old, but I would prefer that it didn't. Unless you want the game to be even floatier due to the unfortunate reality of internet latency.

The Wii title got more insane the more people you added next to you on the "comfy couch" and I don't think you'd see that insanity replicated via headsets or online play in general.

JimboJones

Someone refresh my memory: what was the NSMB Wii U gimmick? Other than, you know, being a carbon copy of NSMB Wii with Mii's thrown in for the hell of it.

Just that you could play on the sub screen as far as I know, it was running on both screens simultanously actually.

TriGen

There wasn't much of one, they had some "tunnels" that went down on the sub-screen I believe, but that was about it. I assume they would just try to show off other areas when you go down pipes and stuff like that.

Amir0x

Banned
I find the miis trashing quite hilarious. I mean do you even know when the wii was launched. Also dont forget the pathetic copy attempt from Ms

No, I only got my Wii at launch. I forgot all about it! I'm not sure when the Wii launched is particularly relevant to the ugly sanitized art direction of the Mii's, but hell... whatever :p

if someone else is using the tv (to watch a movie or football game or something), you can switch to the low res tablet screen to continue playing...

...that's really the gimmick.

Edit: Here's video of the gimmick: click

Edit2: haha at the video describing the increased graphical detail of Mario Wii U thanks to the Wii U's processing power. "The sand has a little bit more details, textures have been upgraded a little bit." hahha

Somnid

It was a simple experiment to combine the two biggest franchises in gaming but the demo itself showed off "TV-less" gameplay IIRC.

Ruas

Banned

Thats your opinion

jett

D-Member

Clicking on the screen to select your item, obviously! Putting that second screen to good use, as always.

lololololol

TriGen

I'm about to sound really old, but I would prefer that it didn't. Unless you want the game to be even floatier due to the unfortunate reality of internet latency.

The Wii title got more insane the more people you added next to you on the "comfy couch" and I don't think you'd see that insanity replicated via headsets or online play in general.

I never bought NSMBW because I don't really play much multiplayer on my Nintendo consoles (most people I know aren't "Nintendo" fans") so how did the platforming hold up on it's own? Meaning was this a platformer like other Mario games that was designed to be good platforming even in single-player, or was it only good as a "party" game?

Didn't they have a brief 2D segment at the beginning of SMG1 or 2? I would love if they made a full game like that.

I've never cared much for NSMB's art style.

Amir0x

Banned
Thats your opinion

Really!? Fuck me, and all this time I thought...

That was Production I. G.

Right, I know that. But I mean it's proof Nintendo can get these graphic styles in place if they want it. In that case, it meant paying someone who is more competent than them to make a really awesome animated style. That's part of the effort one puts into something too.

Totally agreed on the second count, but I'll say that if people want it then they should at least be given the option, lag and all. They can learn the hard way that some games just don't suit online play. :p

I think Miyamoto pretty much hates online multiplayer anyway. So we'll see if, by some divine prank, it makes it in.

Beth Cyra

Didn't they have a brief 2D segment at the beginning of SMG1 or 2? I would love if they made a full game like that.

I've never cared much for NSMB's art style.

They had few 2D sections in Galaxy 2.

They did alright with them, I wouldn't say that they were as good as the rest of the game's crazy 3D setups.

Triton55

Relevant discussion from the Super Mario 3D Land Iwata Asks

Tezuka
This game feels like a collaborative project with 2D Super Mario, so it introduces various devices and enemies from 2D Super Mario, as if to say, "This is how they look in 3D!" I feel like we are introducing something new to players of 2D Super Mario. I want to reflect what we gained from Super Mario 3D Land in the next 2D Super Mario game.

Iwata
Both 2D and 3D Super Mario games may receive an influence from and build upon what appears in this game.

Tezuka
Yes. I think we can get all kinds of ideas from what we used here and try to take them the other way into 2D Super Mario games. (laughs)

I think some 3D Land influence can only add to NSMB. So there is a bit of hope that the game has been modified since last E3.

Top Bottom