• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo official financial report (10/25),Wii worldwide sales revealed

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Oh, by the way...

dance4nintendo.gif

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
They could reach GC figures after about one year on the market. Without Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing or Nintendogs... Crazy :lol

Cryect

Cheesemeister said:
Wii tie ratio = 4.997 including Wii Sports
DS tie ratio = 4.837

Interesting enough if you look at the tie ratios regionally US really likes to buy games in comparison to the rest on the Wii

Japan - 3.24
The Americas - 5.13 (6.13 with Wii Sports included)
Other - 4.06 (5.06 with Wii Sports included)

DS Tie Ratios for comparison as well

Japan - 4.82
The Americas - 5.13
Other - 4.58

Polari

JoshuaJSlone said:
From launch, Wii versus N64/GCN/PS1/PS2/PS3/Xbox/X360. At this point, Wii is nearly double anything else.

Pretty amazing that this mostly on the back of Wii Sports, Wii Play and Gamecube's leftovers. I think they're fortunate having Super Mario Galaxy when they do, it's the perfect title to keep that momentum going with, far more so than Brawl even. Wii Fit's also going to be absolutely massive and god knows what will happen when they get around to Wii Sports 2.

Cryect said:
Interesting enough if you look at the tie ratios regionally US really likes to buy games in comparison to the rest on the Wii

Japan - 3.24
The Americas - 5.13 (6.13 with Wii Sports included)
Other - 4.06 (5.06 with Wii Sports included)

DS Tie Ratios for comparison as well

Japan - 4.82
The Americas - 5.13
Other - 4.58

Higher income per capita, I'm assuming.

Last quarter, I pointed out that while Wii was ahead worldwide, due to PS2's staggered launch PS2 still actually lead in each individual territory. Let's see if that's still the case...

Japan. Yep, but the gap has narrowed.
NA. Yep, and the gap has actually grown larger.
EU. Yep, but the gap has narrowed.

It is worth noting those are the old "Manufactured" PS2 numbers, rather than "Shipped to retailers", so they're not perfectly comparable. Certainly it seems odd that Wii is falling further behind PS2 in North America this way, while it's been getting further ahead by NPD's count.

Evlar

Banned
A word of warning on those "tie ratio" calculations: These numbers from Nintendo are shipped-to-retailer for hardware AND software. The actual software sales to end users are likely considerably lower than that. We wrestled with the difference last reporting period.

Dalthien

JoshuaJSlone said:
It is worth noting those are the old "Manufactured" PS2 numbers, rather than "Shipped to retailers", so they're not perfectly comparable. Certainly it seems odd that Wii is falling further behind PS2 in North America this way, while it's been getting further ahead by NPD's count.
You actually answered your own question. The PS2 numbers that you are using are manufactured numbers, not shipped numbers. And with the comparative Christmas season coming up where the PS2 sold 2.85 million units in Nov + Dec, Sony was very likely hoarding a significant number of units for the holidays which hadn't been shipped out to retail yet.

Likewise, I am sure that Nintendo has a fair stock of systems hoarded as well right now, but those systems haven't been counted in their totals yet, whereas the PS2 numbers have been counted. So in effect, you are comparing Nintendo's NPD numbers with Sony's NPD + Xmas hoarding numbers. So one would expect the lead to be widening in such a case. The situation would likely be different if you were to add the Wii systems which Nintendo has held back for the holidays to their total. Although I'd be surprised if Nintendo has been holding enough back to get 3 million units in stores this holiday season in North America.

Dalthien said:
You actually answered your own question. The PS2 numbers that you are using are manufactured numbers, not shipped numbers. And with the comparative Christmas season coming up where the PS2 sold 2.85 million units in Nov + Dec, Sony was very likely hoarding a significant number of units for the holidays which hadn't been shipped out to retail yet.
Yeah, that's probably it.
titiklabingapat said:
New thread material.
The numbers in that image aren't new; they're the ones from 3 months back.
Lightning said:
I'm confused.

Is the 13.7 sold to consumers to sold to retailers (i.e shipped)?
Shipped through September 30.

szaromir

Banned
Nintendo are planning to ship 10M consoles in October '07- March '08 period. They are definitely increasing their production rate...

Jiggy

perfectchaos007 said:
Brain age outsold pokemon? what the hell? I thought Pokemon was.....oh nvm I forgot about Japan. Its always Japan....
It's Brain Age and Brain Age 2 combined, for whatever reason.
The day a single Brain Age game outsells Pokemon, even I'd feel a stab to the heart--and I enjoyed BA.

Gaborn

Xeke said:
You'll be able to walk in on launch day and buy one that afternoon.

You know, I love that old meme because it's so obviously insane now in retrospect. Do you (or anyone else) happen to know who first uttered that now legendary phrase?

Brak said:
So Nintendo is expecting the DS to have shipped more units than the GBA by this time next year.

wow
I think you're misreading it a bit, though what you've come up with probably isn't far off. They show a forecast of 28 million for DS, but that's for this financial year which is now half done. It works out to them forecasting a DS total of 68.29 million by the end of March.

ThePeter

There are not enough song lyrics for this.
Thank you Nintendo for saving the industry.
Thank you Iwata for being so badass.
Go die a fiery death if the next console can't atleast match the awesometude of the Revolution i'm still waiting for.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Gahiggidy said:
Oh, by the way...

dance4nintendo.gif

I knew you'd get your revenge one day. I didn't know how long it would take, but I knew it would happen. :lol

Now if only third parties would join in the dance and drop the double standard.

Does anyone else remember that japanese analyst that said the Wii would not be able to meet demand until March 2008 right when the Wii launched and everyone, EVERYONE laughed at the idea? Where is he now?

chris0701

szaromir said:
Nintendo are planning to ship 10M consoles in October '07- March '08 period. They are definitely increasing their production rate...

So previously we knew that there would be only *double shipment for this holiday could be wrong...:lol

Haha,Nintendo.

Gaborn

Gamer @ Heart said:
Does anyone else remember that japanese analyst that said the Wii would not be able to meet demand until March 2008 right when the Wii launched and everyone, EVERYONE laughed at the idea? Where is he now?

Well, in fairness he is probably wrong. I think he might have been too pessimistic.

Gaborn said:
You know, I love that old meme because it's so obviously insane now in retrospect. Do you (or anyone else) happen to know who first uttered that now legendary phrase?
I just did a search for Wii* afternoon and asked for results more than a year old. I can't guarantee this is the very first use of a variation of that phrase, but it likely could be.

Thread: So What Are Your Wii Launch Plans?
Scrow said:
i'll probably wake up sometime in the afternoon, drive to the nearest shopping center, pickup a wii + zelda and extra remote + nunchuck, go home and play wii sports for a little while, then load up zelda and say goodbye to the rest of the day.

i'm still undecided if i should import though. or wait till christmas to see if someone buys it for me. :p

chris0701

Although we have Mario Galaxy(Miyamoto FTW),Wii Fit (OMG, casual game FTW) and Smash Bros....10m number is a bit of crazy.

But if Nintendo could ship 10m units and sell it,this would be what the next-gen console fight ends...

Xeke

Banned
Gaborn said:

I'm glad I didn't listen to GAF on that one and camped out for 12 hours.:D

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Nintendo's added another 213 employees to its staff. A total of 3,586. Divided by the expected NET Profit, that gives a rate of $1.02M per employee.

chris0701 said:
So previously we knew that there would be only *double shipment for this holiday could be wrong...:lol

Haha,Nintendo.
Ehh, not so much. They shipped more than 3 million worldwide last November and December. If that was doubled, it'd be 6 million... and that still leaves October, January, February, and March.
D.Lo said:
Can someone link me to the English report?
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2007/071025e.pdf

JoshuaJSlone said:
Ehh, not so much. They shipped more than 3 million worldwide last November and December. If that was doubled, it'd be 6 million... and that still leaves October, January, February, and March.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2007/071025e.pdf
That's not that farfethced. a million each month outside of Nov/Dec. Nintendo's not outside of stuffing channels during a massive sales week/month/period and sacrificing stock from slower periods.

legend166

I dunno if anyone has done this before, but here we go:

Going by those numbers they expect around 10 million more shipments over the next 6 months. In the previous 6 months, they shipped 7 million.

So, because I'm lazy, let's just say they continued at that 7 million a month for the next 6 months. That leaves 3 extra million to go into the Christmas period. So, where I'm going with this, in a horrible, round about way:

For November/December, worldwide, Nintendo should be able to ship an absolute minimum of 5 million consoles. That's not including any stock already in stores, or even if they just leave nothing for January, which is very likely.

Edit: you guys already talked about this dammit.

Satter

Banned
Gaborn said:

When the PS2 was released at the Best Buy near me the parking lot was full of people waiting to grab one and it was a hugh media event. When the Gamecube was launched there only 2 people waiting.

Having remembered that I thought there would be plenty of Wiis avaliable at launch.

Now, almost a year after launch and Wiis are STILL soldout almost everywhere.

The reason I knew getting a Wii would be trouble and to expect a crowd as watching messageboards like this one (and Gamefaqs) and seeing the buzz building as Nintendo showed the "Revolution" bit by bit. It was like watching a Geiger counter responding to tremors and knowing it's going to lead to a giant volcanic eruption.

Brak

JoshuaJSlone said:
I think you're misreading it a bit, though what you've come up with probably isn't far off. They show a forecast of 28 million for DS, but that's for this financial year which is now half done. It works out to them forecasting a DS total of 68.29 million by the end of March.
Yeah I was extrapolating to make my point, but I doubt that DS shipments are going to be reduced year over year.

Top Bottom