• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo remakes 'Cube controller, and we laugh

Speevy

Banned
No one wants to recharge Wavebirds all the time on top of recharging their voracious, battery-hungry Wiimotes.

Wired FTW.

Tenbatsu

McBradders said:
gamecube-keyboard-controller.jpg
Thats the keyboard controller for Phantasy Star Online.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
McBradders said:

This was an awesome controller for playing PSOGC. I still have mine. Maybe we'll be able to use it for Wii Animal Crossing. But that's highly doubtful.

Speevy

Banned
DrXym said:
That's what Sony should produce for use with Home. Assuming the width of the keyboard were only 6 inches or so it might even be usable.

Why should Sony produce anything? The PS3 is already compatible with any USB controller peripheral.

haowan

Vilix said:
This was an awesome controller for playing PSOGC. I still have mine. Maybe we'll be able to use it for Wii Animal Crossing. But that's highly doubtful.

Yeah I was really disappointed when it wasn't compatible with Animal Crossing GC. Seemed like a total waste of opportunity.

Speevy

Banned
haowan said:
Yeah I was really disappointed when it wasn't compatible with Animal Crossing GC. Seemed like a total waste of opportunity.

Animal Crossing was already on the shelves in Japan before PSO GCN was released in the US. It's not like they could patch it in.

Gagaman

Vilix said:
You mean that's an actual controller, not a photoshop? O_O

mugwhump

Shut up Mike, u r an atrocity D:<
Visualante said:
What are the chances of them updating the channel UI to support GameCube? I'm lazy but I find it archaic using two controllers to boot into a game.
This pisses me off so much.

In any case, I'm happy about this. I thought they were out of production, and would eventually become super-overpriced. So can I order one of these in Canada? I want a new GC controller...

Pistolero

Hum...Not a bad move since quite a few games respond more effectively to the ancient pad input. But it goes -as someone pointed out- against the whole idea of a new interface system...

if they actually changed the Dpad and added a second Z button, I would consider it something to look into, but its just the same controller you can find in any store except white.

Yaweee

This is good, as they are cheaper than the old GC controllers. As far as I know, competitive SSB players still use that controller, so these things will sell.

klausbert

I don't care for this GC Controller, i want a N64 Controller. With that one i could play everything. A great d-pad, 6 face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons.....

ShowDog

If people are buying these controllers for $20 each I better head down to the swap meet and start snapping them up for resale, shoot. Honestly though I bet the longer cord makes a difference. The Gamecube controller cord is ridiculously short that playing Brawl with them on the Wii is painful, you have to sit so close to the tv and each other. We have to bring in chairs because the couch is too far away.

Haunted

no wireless, no sale.
not that I'd need more GC controllers anyway >_<

White is the right colour, though.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Visualante said:
3 metre cable? Sounds like an improvement to me. Shame Super Mario World sucks on this because the lack of mapped controls.
3m cable is definitely an improvement. I don't think the old one was even 2m............

Still Nintendo, wtf?????? why release a cabled controller for a system that you proudly proclaim "no wires" when you had a wireless controller, arguably still today the best one ever made, already created.

rerelease the motherfucking wavebird for crying out loud (not that I care, I already have two.. but would still probably definitely grab a white wavebird)

Haunted

A white Wavebird with rumble would be about the only combination I might shell out some cash for at this point.

And even then, I'd have to be convinced. I have a CC and Wiimote+Nunchuk. I can't think of a single game where the GC controller has proven to be superior to both of these.

Ah well. The GC controller had a good run.

they probably figured that the people who want a gamecube controller want wires for the best possible data connection.
that or people would want wireless with rumble.

JaCy

I definitely need some new GC controllers and don't want black or silver ones.

Is there a release date for them? I'll import if I have to. :D

I think they figured this was the absolute cheapest way to get a gamecube controller out there.

No wireless, no aesthetic update to match the rest of the wii, nothing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
FINALLY.

Even Nintendo World ran out of GCN controllers. I for one, am happy with this.

Guy Legend

This is actually good news, the GCN controller is great and superior to the classic controller. It has to stay in production considering it's beneficial uses on the Wii. But I would have preferred wireless white wavebirds with rumble....

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ooh, I'll buy these instead.
I was about to buy a couple new GC controllers anyway. Old ones getting broken.

Glad it's NOT A WAVEBIRD.
Too much lag for my tastes.
I can feel it in Smash.

Bloodwake

Awesome. I knew they would do this whenever most people realized that the Gamecube controller is the superior controller for Brawl.

not that the GameCube controller is superior anywhere else, definitely FTL in first person shooter games

I'll buy 4 just because the wire is longer. None of my friends want to use WaveBirds with Brawl because it causes lag and with the way my Wii and TV are set up we all end up huddled together in a little circle on the living room floor barely a foot away from the TV.

It would be really nice just to have a nearly 10 ft. cable on the damn GCN controller. Hell, some of us could even sit on the couch with that kind of range. :D

Alcibiades said:
in the US, even corded Cube controllers are getting hard to come by unless you look around (I know Target here didn't have them, and amazon.com is out of stock), so this is a good thing.

In bizarro world.

Guy Legend

El Pescado said:
I'll buy 4 just because the wire is longer.

Oh shit, you're right. I saw the 3m but didn't think much of it....that's nearly 10 ft (9ft 10 inches). That's a great improvement worth noting. The cords on the original GCN controllers were far too short.

Shiggy said:
What's the original length?

I believe around 6ft.

bryehn

I'm glad they're re-issuing the thing myself. It's getting really tough to find them around here. Almost bought a $50 GameCube just to get the pad when Smash came out.

Know what would be awesome though? Adding GCN controller support to more games. I hate the CC.

Gagaman

So no one has laughed in this trend yet so here I go..
HAHAHAHAha oh wait no, I would probably buy a couple of these. I have to sit on the edge of my seat because the wires are not long enough, so that sells it for me alone (and being a matching white is a bonus).

jts

...hate me...
bryehn said:
I'm glad they're re-issuing the thing myself. It's getting really tough to find them around here. Almost bought a $50 GameCube just to get the pad when Smash came out.

Know what would be awesome though? Adding GCN controller support to more games. I hate the CC.
I only bought the CC because of Super Mario World. It was utter shit to play it with the GC controller due to the literal button mapping approach Nintendo did on the Virtual Console.
A matter of software tweaking and i would've saved 20&#8364; >.<

MoxManiac

PolyGone said:
I don't see the point. The Wii isn't supposed to be about "classic" controls anyway, even if some games do give you the option. It seems like they're back-pedaling a bit by doing this. Also, its wired. If they had managed to squeeze the rf shit into it, at least it would be something new.

I figured it was to help faciliate BC. (and smash, of course)

GCN games still have shelf space at a lot of stores, even if it is shrinking.

Top Bottom