• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo remakes 'Cube controller, and we laugh

TheKingsCrown said:
gamecube-keyboard-controller.jpg

I'm sorry, you people are telling me that this thing is real? Are you f'ing serious? lol

Yeah it's real. :)

Do a google search for "ascii keyboard controller".

Hero

I just remembered, didn't Miyamoto say something around the GCN launch that the controller would become the standard for the next 10 years or something? Kind of ironic.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Already Brawl has taken its toll on my Wavebird. My C-stick is much less responsive than it used to be. :/ I have one more controller, but Melee destroyed that thing years ago.

Do want.

Sagitario

YAY! [for SSBB + a few GC games in my backlog]

GC controllers are pretty much impossible to find where I live, so this is good ... I like the ergonomics of this controller and the 3m cable is nice, I wish they had changed the d-pad though [you know, if they're going to produce GC again, make more improvements]...

I have a stupid question, since I just finally got a Wii last week. I assume that I can use my GC Wavebird with my Wii. The wireless dongle will fit in the Wii and I can use may Wavebird...right?

I've just been too busy to check this out yet, and I recently grabbed a copy of SSBB. Been waiting to find out this factoid before I open my copy.

Ranger X

Apharmd Battler said:
I have a stupid question, since I just finally got a Wii last week. I assume that I can use my GC Wavebird with my Wii. The wireless dongle will fit in the Wii and I can use may Wavebird...right?

I've just been too busy to check this out yet, and I recently grabbed a copy of SSBB. Been waiting to find out this factoid before I open my copy.

Yes.

Ariexv

angelfly said:
I'm guessing people were expecting a total controller overhaul which just isn't going to happen.
We just wanted a white wavebird with rumble :(

though an analog replacing the C pad and it being blu-tooth woulda been nice to :p

Ranger X

angelfly said:
I'm guessing people were expecting a total controller overhaul which just isn't going to happen.

What's a bit stupid is to not re-release Wavebirds instead.

andrewfee said:
Wavebird = input lag,

Wait, what?
I don't think the lag is noticeable. Did you notice it? Do you notice lag on 360 controllers or Sixaxis? Dualshock3? Wiimote?

I'm actually picky with that kind of thing and i can't notice lag on any of them...

What's a bit stupid is to not re-release Wavebirds instead.

Hey I don't blame them, if they re-released the Wavebird then nobody would want to use the Wiimote anymore!

The wired ones are also way cheaper to make.

Firestorm

{Mike} said:
thumb463x_whitepad.jpg

Hello thar white GameCube controller! Man, what a deal! For $20, you get an old controller for the Wii, which isn't wireless mind you. Instead of re-releasing WaveBirds, which are pretty awesome and hard to come by, we get this atrocity. Stay in Japan!

screw you. this better make it over.
$20 for a GCN controller is a steal considering they're $30 everywhere and selling fast. My controllers are all busted :( Except my Wavebird which is banned at some smash tournies due to people screwing with each others channels.

What a waste. Its seems Wii user have pad problems. I really dont wonder cause the Mote is a piece of crap.

Now you have to rely on a Cube controller and Nintendo is re-releasing the same shit in white.
Awesome...just awesome.

Foxix Von

TheKingsCrown said:
gamecube-keyboard-controller.jpg

I'm sorry, you people are telling me that this thing is real? Are you f'ing serious? lol

Sorry I'm late.

Yes, they are real.

Yes, they are awesome.

Yes, I own one.

And here's a sloppy cell pic to prove it :D also they key layout is crazy and in japanese/english also it's got very small keys as you can tell.
04-09-08_1228.jpg

Slavik81 said:
I don't get it. What did they to do make this worse than a standard Gamecube controller?

Same reason Sony took the "DS2" and downgraded it to a "norumblemakingtooslipperytoholdontocan'tremovebatteriessoitisnottrulywirelessmyfingerskeepslidingoffthestupidtriggersmotioncontrolisuseless"controller

Foxix Von

andrewfee said:
Wavebird = input lag, no rumble.
It's also more expensive, so they'll have a better chance selling these to the Wii crowd, especially if they're buying more than one.

I miss PSO :( Wish it had worked online with the Wii. (and that they hadn't shut down the servers) Got to say though, the ASCII keyboard controller looked really awkward though. I think I'd have preferred the DC's separate keyboard & controller.

It's sort of awkward since the key layout is a tad bit different, like the apostrophe isn't next to the L key, and the keys are unusually small but once you get used to it it's a far better experience than having to constantly put down a controller then pickup a KB to type.

jts

...hate me...
Sato Koiji said:
What a waste. Its seems Wii user have pad problems. I really dont wonder cause the Mote is a piece of crap.

Now you have to rely on a Cube controller and Nintendo is re-releasing the same shit in white.
Awesome...just awesome.
2w6cgic.gif

Sato Koiji said:

Awesome...just awesome.
This post? Awesome...just awesome.

marwan

Banned
what a waste....this should have been a white wave bird with rumble and bluetooth signal to sync it with the Wii without that ugly wave bird adapter.

The Keyboard controller thing actually makes a lot of sense, assuming you are using it for an RPG or something. Other than that, not really.

Haunted

dk_ said:
WTF Nintendo. Nobody needs this one... NOBODY!
ORLY?

Cynar said:
White gc controller? Please come out in the NA!
Firestorm said:
this better make it over.
$20 for a GCN controller is a steal considering they're $30 everywhere and selling fast.
Farore said:
YAY! [for SSBB + a few GC games in my backlog].
Mr. Pointy said:
Shit, I'd buy it. Just so I could say that I have a white official GC controller.
SCReuter said:
Don't listen to the OP, Nintendo. Bring that beauty over to North America.
Johnkers said:
I'd be very tempted to buy a wireless one, especially with Rumble and if I could use it as a classic controller and Gamecube Controller
usea said:
This is great, I want one. It's hard to find gamecube controllers, and when you do they're $25.
cw_sasuke said:
pal release pls :)
josephdebono said:
White? Where can i get 4?
Bankoiia said:
I already have a Wavebird, but I might buy this for rumble support.
JaCy said:
I definitely need some new GC controllers and don't want black or silver ones. Is there a release date for them? I'll import if I have to. :D
Halycon said:
FINALLY. Even Nintendo World ran out of GCN controllers. I for one, am happy with this.
dallow_bg said:
Ooh, I'll buy these instead.
El Pescado said:
I'll buy 4 just because the wire is longer.

DangerStepp

I picked up a wireless GC controller at Wal-mart on a whim due to a bad controller to person ratio at my house. It's called the Pelican... and it isn't that bad of a consideration if you're having trouble finding the Wavebird.

Cathcart

It's sort of like you guys have never even heard of Nintendo. They'll re-release the Wavebird after everyone buys four of the new wired controllers.

I'll take this as long as the cord is longer. I used to say that Nintendo made the original Gamecube controller cord so short so that people would buy the Wavebird when it finally came out. Well, if they're not making the Wavebird anymore there's no excuse for having such a short cord on these, at least not if they come to America. My analog sticks on my old controllers are getting pretty worn out :(

Foxix Von

Oh, actually in that sense I think it's a little bit more comfortable, since it places your arms farther apart it's actually a somewhat more natural position, I would compare it with using a wiimote+chuck and just resting it in your lap.

They are actually pretty comfy, seeing as you can literally just rest the entire thing in your lap, you don't do any lifting :D

The epitome of the lazy man's controller essentially. I'm quite proud of it:lol

Top Bottom